Emi Martinez

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nah. He’s good but not good enough for a top club for a whole season

Aboutreika18

Reminds me a bit of that Portuguese keeper Ricardo, good tournament keeper, especially in shootouts but probably lacks the overall game to be a top class keeper for a big side.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Going off this thread cafe doesn't seem to rate him much but for my money he's one of the best at his job on the planet right now.

He's gotten decently good with his feet too.

InfiniteBoredom

Has cojones by the bucketload, doesn’t excel at anything really but just a really solid keeper with a big personality who will risk everything to keep the ball out of the net.

Was all at sea for that disallowed goal though, if Nketiah poked it in that’s a goal, but he definitely saved Villa plenty of time this match.

wr8_utd

:'(
Will always love for that save from Kolo Muani. He's also started making a lot more big saves for Villa too, it feels like?

Red00012

Going off this thread cafe doesn't seem to rate him much but for my money he's one of the best at his job on the planet right now.

He's gotten decently good with his feet too.
Carlos saved him in the 1st half from a feck up and he flapped at a corner that Carlos cleared off the line in the 2nd

Sanchez7

Has cojones by the bucketload, doesn’t excel at anything really but just a really solid keeper with a big personality who will risk everything to keep the ball out of the net.

Was all at sea for that disallowed goal though, if Nketiah poked it in that’s a goal, but he definitely saved Villa plenty of time this match.
Indeed. He has the tendency to come in clutch during key moments of the game. I know he flapped around couple of times today but I would say being dominant in the box is his stand out attribute. The only keeper that is more dominant aerially is Courtois.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Made huge saves from odegaard and erling this week, huge part of villas success.

Jersey Heel

I find his antics enjoyable. I know it’s not for everyone, but it makes me laugh.

Joel Miller

I can see why some don’t like him. But I can’t help but like him, anyone loves a player like that as long as he’s in their team. As someone else said, big personality, big set of balls and comes up trumps in the big moments. Also have to say he really does look like a massive presence between the sticks, there are bigger keepers than him who just don’t look anywhere near as commanding, take the Dutch keeper Noppert for example.

Mercurial

1 Copa America
1 World Cup
1 FA cup

Hard to say it's just a fluke at this point. Bloomed late but putting his shifts in. Great cup keeper at the least.

led_scholes

1 Copa America
1 World Cup
1 FA cup

Hard to say it's just a fluke at this point. Bloomed late but putting his shifts in. Great cup keeper at the least.
And he also played a huge role in the finals. He is a top gk just not world class.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Feels like a United player. Should go for him in the summer as one of our targets.

RikRuud

I think he's a brilliant keeper. Proper WUM who gets in the heads of the opponent. Unfortunately we wouldn't get him out of Villa.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I still can’t understand how he could barely get a game at Getafe at 25. Was he too much of a lunatic? I know keepers develop later and experience is valued, but I’m sure he’s at the extreme edge of that trend.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I still can’t understand how he could barely get a game at Getafe at 25. Was he too much of a lunatic? I know keepers develop later and experience is valued, but I’m sure he’s at the extreme edge of that trend.
There always seems to be one or two outliers in that regard, a bit like Jamie Vardy also.

colombianmancunian

Dibu (no one in Latin America calls him Emi) is a good and solid keeper, not quite on the prime DDG or Neure level, but surely on the next tier. I would have preferred him over Onana. Also, he is an asshole, someone you hate when he plays for the opposition, but you love when he is your player.

KeanoMagicHat

There always seems to be one or two outliers in that regard, a bit like Jamie Vardy also.
Not as unusual for goalkeepers, can play later and also can be starved of opportunities as there's only one keeper in a team, whereas an outfielder could get experience in several positions. He was obviously talented enough to get selected for Arsenal from Independiente so must have shown talent when he was younger. He would have been getting 'elite' training, just a lack of opportunities, not like Vardy playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He's the Diego Costa of goalies

Martial

Like I said, if our whole team had half Emi Martinez's balls maybe we'd have won a single significant title since Fergie retired.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Dunno why people hate him. Football would be dull without characters like that.
I’m really not sure he’s hated unless he does that when he is playing against your team - in which case he would be absolutely enraging.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
What's he done now?
Just typical goal keeper tactics. Actually got a second yellow during the shootout, but apparently during penalties any yellows you have received in the match are not counted. Which in very much didn’t know!