Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

Ekeke

I don't get this. If I buy a new BMW for 50k on finance, I can't go around saying "Look at this amazing car that only cost me 10k". Because that's not true. The car still cost me 50k, even if I've only paid 10k so far.
He isnt a car, he's a professional footballer and his career will be judged on seasons

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
For footballs sake it’s much better if he flops. The money for these players is just stupid. We’re totally not innocent either, but this one really is insane.
Precisely. Given 5 of the top 10 British transfers are by United I’m not really sure the fans should be the ones virtue signaling. For the record, I don’t agree with how much Chelsea have spent, hyper inflated market or otherwise.

Though I see you point, I disagree with it. Him being a failure will not change how much clubs value players at or deter clubs from continuing to spend obscene amounts. The market needs to crash and it will, much like every economy in history.

Ekeke

Doesn't really matter though, does it? You still pay the full amount in the end?
Probably. Unless someone else buys him and agrees to pay the rest of it off. If he's been a roaring success they might even make a profit on the transfer fee, on top of any money he's helped the club make with success on the pitch minus wages

RuudTom83

Chelsea’s money spending is bonkers, but listening to fans breaking the deal down into bite size pieces is even more crazy.

But if that is now the norm, then let’s jump on board…Antony has been a steal so far £16.8 million…total bargain! 5 goals as well! GET IN! ;)

glasgow 21

Fecking hell, we could have signed him for less than 20m back in the summer. I am sure there has been few reports linking him with us back then.
Correct we were linked with him under Rangick
Wasn't he another of Ralf's tips but yeah sickening we didn't have shrewdness to get it done then
Correct, we were linked with him under Rangnick 20/04/2022 we reportedly had scouts watch him over 3 games for River Plate by then and it appears they considered the Argentine as a potential long-term replacement for Nemanja Matic. His buy out clause was £17.7m plus 25% sell on rights. On 28 feb 2022 Spurs, Arsenal, Villa and West Ham were said to be interest by which time Enzo had only played 4 games for River Plate. The talent move to Portugal as the rules makes it easier for them to do so. Maybe the Government needs to relax the rules to make scouts efforts for all teams a bit easier and buy from source. The Portugese import duties and handling fees are a bit OTT now. It not like they need a council house and benefits when they get here.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Correct we were linked with him under Rangick

Correct, we were linked with him under Rangnick 20/04/2022 we reportedly had scouts watch him over 3 games for River Plate by then and it appears they considered the Argentine as a potential long-term replacement for Nemanja Matic. His buy out clause was £17.7m plus 25% sell on rights. On 28 feb 2022 Spurs, Arsenal, Villa and West Ham were said to be interest by which time Enzo had only played 4 games for River Plate. The talent move to Portugal as the rules makes it easier for them to do so. Maybe the Government needs to relax the rules to make scouts efforts for all teams a bit easier and buy from source. The Portugese import duties and handling fees are a bit OTT now. It not like they need a council house and benefits when they get here.
If United bought every player we're linked to we'd have a squad about 5000 strong!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea’s money spending is bonkers, but listening to fans breaking the deal down into bite size pieces is even more crazy.

But if that is now the norm, then let’s jump on board…Antony has been a steal so far £16.8 million…total bargain! 5 goals as well! GET IN! ;)
:lol: It’s becoming absurd, you’re right.

footballbite

On 28 feb 2022 Spurs, Arsenal, Villa and West Ham were said to be interest by which time Enzo had only played 4 games for River Plate. The talent move to Portugal as the rules makes it easier for them to do so.
Enzo would have got a UK work permit no problem in 2022 when playing for River Plate.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: It’s becoming absurd, you’re right.
I think part of it is (subconsciously or otherwise) down to people going too far the other way where they're trying to make out every thing they do is a bad decision.

There's been green moments with the new ownership (understatement) but the comparisons with the likes of Woodward and Moshiri is just absolutely ridiculous.

TsuWave

Lukaku the first one to United I understand, the one to Chelsea is probably the dumbest and most obvious flop of all time
I was talking about the fees paid by United, so yeah...

but even the Chelsea one doesn't strike me as absurd as say Maguire or Antony. Lukaku, for all his faults, has proven that he can score goals in the prem and in Italy. If a team is willing to look past all his shortcomings and faults for just "goals" I can see how that happens, but Maguire and Antony to me are just insane fees. Same for Enzo, mind, despite me liking him a lot as a player.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
He isnt a car, he's a professional footballer and his career will be judged on seasons
But whether he flops or is a success, he still cost €120m, regardless of how it’s paid and how he’s judged. Honestly have no idea of your point.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Guy's let's discuss this.

Is he better than 22 year old Fabregas?

1. I don't think so.

2. Can he have a better career than Fabregas, probably. (Already a world champion @22). Fabregas didn't win EPL or UCL

3. Pound for pound would Fabregas cost a British Transfer Fee @22, absolutely but still with hindsight we know how his career panned out.

It's such a delicate transfer when you mix, player qualities, playing position, experience of the player and expected results.

Edit... Fabregas did win league twice with Chelsea, really forgot about his Chelsea period.
With this new info, Enzo has to hit top club success to be in the same table with Fabregas let alone in skillset area.

Last edited:

Precaution

Not after 2 years. Because he hasnt cost that yet.
It still has to be paid regardless if he's sold or not, player installments are nothing new, it's just repackaged into a new term just like the iphone does each year.

Whether Real Madrid come in and buy him for £150mill, Chelsea didn't make a £150mill profit on him now did they? And also the likelihood he's also sold after 2 years is unlikely considering he's on a 9 year contract and no doubt on big wages

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Overpriced of course, but shows how desperate we are for a midfielder who can pass the ball at a high level. Haven't had one of those since Fabregas. Will see you guys in here on Friday after Fulham smash us 0-2 :(

Ekeke

It still has to be paid regardless if he's sold or not, player installments are nothing new, it's just repackaged into a new term just like the iphone does each year.

Whether Real Madrid come in and buy him for £150mill, Chelsea didn't make a £150mill profit on him now did they? And also the likelihood he's also sold after 2 years is unlikely considering he's on a 9 year contract and no doubt on big wages
I'm not talking about likely I'm talking about possible. So no there isnt a guarantee that Chelsea need to pay the entire fee but yes of course its most likely unless he becomes one of the best few players in the world and some other team wishes he was available for £105 million.

Chelsea obviously believe he's going to be a top player else they arent setting up a deal that can reach that amount without basing it on success. If he's the top central midfielder in the world in 2-3 years anything can happen. Whoever wants to be the top team in the world may have the funds to make a deal.

However right now he just has to deliver on £30 million. If he's just a good player this season thats fine. In the future he needs to deliver on £30 million+ the extra amounts added yearly. Just being a good player wont cut it after a couple of seasons. He needs to develop

Precaution

I'm not talking about likely I'm talking about possible. So no there isnt a guarantee that Chelsea need to pay the entire fee but yes of course its most likely unless he becomes one of the best few players in the world and some other team wishes he was available for £105 million.

Chelsea obviously believe he's going to be a top player else they arent setting up a deal that can reach that amount without basing it on success. If he's the top central midfielder in the world in 2-3 years anything can happen. Whoever wants to be the top team in the world may have the funds to make a deal.

However right now he just has to deliver on £30 million. If he's just a good player this season thats fine. In the future he needs to deliver on £30 million+ the extra amounts added yearly. Just being a good player wont cut it after a couple of seasons. He needs to develop
I don't think you know how transfer fees work? Benfica didn't sell him for a possible £30mill a year, that fee is guaranteed regardless if he's still with the club or not in a few years time, doesn't make much difference if some other club comes if in the case he flops paying £80mill or £150mill (if he doesn't flop) the fee Chelsea are paying is £110mill or whatever it is, that's guaranteed to Benfica, whether Chelsea make a profit or a loss is another matter but they like with every other transfer they are doing will be paid over the course of years which will saddle them with a bunch of debt if Clearlake don't make good..

Worked so well for Barca aye.

Ekeke

I don't think you know how transfer fees work? Benfica didn't sell him for a possible £30mill a year, that fee is guaranteed regardless if he's still with the club or not in a few years time, doesn't make much difference if some other club comes if in the case he flops paying £80mill or £150mill (if he doesn't flop) the fee Chelsea are paying is £110mill or whatever it is, that's guaranteed to Benfica, whether Chelsea make a profit or a loss is another matter but they like with every other transfer they are doing will be paid over the course of years which will saddle them with a bunch of debt if Clearlake don't make good..

Worked so well for Barca aye.
No its not guaranteed. Other clubs have bought players and paid outstanding fees due for the player that hadnt been paid yet. Its extremely likely.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Precisely. Given 5 of the top 10 British transfers are by United I’m not really sure the fans should be the ones virtue signaling. For the record, I don’t agree with how much Chelsea have spent, hyper inflated market or otherwise.

Though I see you point, I disagree with it. Him being a failure will not change how much clubs value players at or deter clubs from continuing to spend obscene amounts. The market needs to crash and it will, much like every economy in history.
It's not virtue signaling. I think it's healthy to acknowledge that our club has participated in this madness of overpaying, it shouldn't prevent us from criticizing us other clubs when they do it too. Being a fan of a club doesn't mean one has to be ultra biased

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Interesting. I think you are in a bit of shock and am not sure where have you been when Pogba was bought (the payment to Juventus was split over 5 years).

Not only that Enzo will be judged on his full fee and how he is individually playing (rightly so), but considering that he plays as CM he will be harshly judged (absolutely undeservedly so) every time his team doesn't score much or concedes too much. Heck, he will be judged harshly even if he is unavailable at times.
There is an underlying reason why big transfer fees rarely work and it is not only about players' quality. Tbf, Enzo at first glance and from his WC performances does seem to have an elite mentality which will help.

No its not guaranteed. Other clubs have bought players and paid outstanding fees due for the player that hadnt been paid yet. Its extremely likely.
Am not sure what are you disputing here as well. Benfica - Chelsea is one transaction, if any other club buys him later that will be a transaction between that club and Chelsea. Chelsea bought him for 120 million and has to pay that to Benfica. That was Enzo's price. Can you show me an example where the next buying club paid the fee that was owned by a previous buying club?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Guy's let's discuss this.

Is he better than 22 year old Fabregas?

1. I don't think so.

2. Can he have a better career than Fabregas, probably. (Already a world champion @22). Fabregas didn't win EPL or UCL

3. Pound for pound would Fabregas cost a British Transfer Fee @22, absolutely but still with hindsight we know how his career panned out.

It's such a delicate transfer when you mix, player qualities, playing position, experience of the player and expected results.
You forgot that Cesc won 2 PL titles?

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I was thinking, apart from being a key key key player in a PL/CL triumph, how can Enzo prove his fee?

He isn't a flashy player ala Pogba / Jude, he is a passing midfielder.

I am struggling to see how he won't be under immense pressure in the next 12 months.
He will indeed

Massive pressure, more than Pogba even, as he is already a WC winner, Pogba wasn't a WC winner yet when joined United.

Fresh WC winner + 121 million fee, people will expect Modric-esque performances every week, and as soon as Chelsea as a team does poorly (not reaching top 4 or being underwhelming in Europe), the price tag will always be mentioned.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I was thinking, apart from being a key key key player in a PL/CL triumph, how can Enzo prove his fee?

He isn't a flashy player ala Pogba / Jude, he is a passing midfielder.

I am struggling to see how he won't be under immense pressure in the next 12 months.
I think he will be under pressure for a lot more than 12 months

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Found Boehly’s Caf account I think.

He would have cost Chelsea the release clause (think they signed him for that amount, or close) they paid for him. End of. Whether they make a profit or loss on a future sale, is fairly irrelevant at this point when discussing what he has/will cost Chelsea.

Gazza

Haha, this is such an odd thing to tweet about. It's like... ok? So the guy who just spent 120million euro to buy a player, turns out he really wanted to buy that player and told people so. Bet you didn't see that coming! Not one of Ornstein's more interesting stories tbf...

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Insanely overhyped. If he is capable of dictating tempo at that level, then fine, but I'm really not sure about that.

Gazza

Insanely overhyped. If he is capable of dictating tempo at that level, then fine, but I'm really not sure about that.
I don’t know what his level is now or his potential is, but that kind of money, for a 20 year old midfielder, just strikes me as the kind of transfer that will never make financial sense.

Waynne

Surely he's not worth 100+ million for that kind of money I'm looking at players like Kroos, Modric, Tchouaméni ?