Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silas

He might be? That 'typical African defender' quote tells me something about temperament and lack of positional disiplin. Something I've often noticed in African teams in the World Cups. Whether that stems from typical coaching in the national teams or something else I don't know but i get the stereotyping. Bailly definitely seems to struggle to compose himself.
Sure, but it's irrelevant to the post he responded to. What does the opinion of one guy, who probably hasn't even watched Bailly all that often (assuming he's not a United fan), have to do with the fact that he looked good when he arrived?

Well, if you only quote one sentence then obviously it sounds like Bailly is made of scapegoat.

The whole of my quote also blaming Young & Matic for the goal.
The fact that you would place any blame on another defender is all that matters, it was 100% on Young. Yes, Matic should have done better but midfielders often miss interceptions and you expect your fullback to stay tight and not have his blood twisted twice by very average footballers.

As I say both goals are 100% on Young, if he simply does his job as a fullback, they score neither. If it's on Shaw's side, they score neither.

Apokalips

Both goals were 100% on Young, absolutely dog shit defending and had his blood twisted by two wank footballers. You wouldn't get away with defending like that in my Swedish div 3 side.

But yeah, let's partly blame Bailly and then claim we're not sure why people think he's a scapegoat.
Young was getting rinsed all game long, he even got nutmegged at the byline by a guy that was half on the floor at one point. Bailly showed his potential in the first season, we mustn't forget he is still young and very inexperienced.

He and Smalling are the 2 that need to stay. Rojo, Jones and Lindelof all offer pretty much nothing at the moment and the former 2 are usually injured or pretty reckless. Keep Bailly and Smalling, sell the other 3 and then add at least one top class CB while bringing Tuanzebe through if we think he is genuinely a talent.

Young was getting rinsed all game long, he even got nutmegged at the byline by a guy that was half on the floor at one point. Bailly showed his potential in the first season, we mustn't forget he is still young and very inexperienced.

He and Smalling are the 2 that need to stay. Rojo, Jones and Lindelof all offer pretty much nothing at the moment and the former 2 are usually injured or pretty reckless. Keep Bailly and Smalling, sell the other 3 and then add at least one top class CB while bringing Tuanzebe through if we think he is genuinely a talent.
Agreed.

Smalling is reliable whilst not quite being the player you want alongside young inexperienced talent which Bailly and Tuanzebe are. The other 3 are for the scrap heap in my opinion, it's the area of the team where we most need improvement.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
A lot of fans used to praise him esp last year. How come this sudden change ? Besides he was injured.
It's because he's playing again.

It's happened three or four times now. Every time he's not playing or has just returned he becomes the best thing since sliced bread. Then he plays quite a few games and people remember that he's inconsistent as all hell. Until he's not playing again (either through injury or poor form) and suddenly half the forum are saying he's our best central defender again.

It's because he's playing again.

It's happened three or four times now. Every time he's not playing or has just returned he becomes the best thing since sliced bread. Then he plays quite a few games and people remember that he's inconsistent as all hell. Until he's not playing again (either through injury or poor form) and suddenly half the forum are saying he's our best central defender again.
That has as much to do with how shit his "replacements" are as much as his inconsistency when playing.

Stacks

Sure, but it's irrelevant to the post he responded to. What does the opinion of one guy, who probably hasn't even watched Bailly all that often (assuming he's not a United fan), have to do with the fact that he looked good when he arrived?
He is indeed a United fan and I think he feels Bailly is very reminiscent of his countrymen and how they defend back home.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Seemed very good when he arrived. Like Martial.
I believe that his first 3 months with us were good/great. He then stopped playing in December (I think) as he got injured and went to AFCON.
Upon his return, he has been below average (for over a year).

In all his time here, he has played well for 3 months. That's poor.

I rate him. It doesn't help when he's got Ashley freakin Young as Right Back!
If Bailly had half the altitude of Young, then there wouldn’t be an issue with Bailly. He has the right attributes, but has rarely performed for us. He is a player that needs to either go out on loan where he can be a first team player and gain some experience somewhere like Newcastle or he should just be sold.

Canagel

I believe that his first 3 months with us were good/great. He then stopped playing in December (I think) as he got injured and went to AFCON.
Upon his return, he has been below average (for over a year).

In all his time here, he has played well for 3 months. That's poor.
He was very good at the start of 2017/18 as well. Looked rock solid at the back and for the first 7/8 games we looked like title challengers.

Patrick08

If Bailly had half the altitude of Young, then there wouldn’t be an issue with Bailly. He has the right attributes, but has rarely performed for us. He is a player that needs to either go out on loan where he can be a first team player and gain some experience somewhere like Newcastle or he should just be sold.
We can blame the defenders all we want, the problem is with our midfield who are absolutely atrocious defensively, they just don't protect the defense. Matic has been the worst, pogba ain't much better while Fellani easily gets dragged out if the position he is playing. With little protection our defenders get top defenders too will get exposed as a result. Yes bailly and lindelof have to improve but I think they'll perform a lot better when they have protection ahead of them and a Cm who can hold the play will give them much more time to reorganize.

sugar_kane

Our centre back signings since Fergie have been atrocious. We sold the only decent one (Blind)

Bailly looks like he's never played professional football before, Lindelof looks like he's never seen a ball before.

I'd actually rate Rojo higher than either, and even he is a back up at best.

We can blame the defenders all we want, the problem is with our midfield who are absolutely atrocious defensively, they just don't protect the defense. Matic has been the worst, pogba ain't much better while Fellani easily gets dragged out if the position he is playing. With little protection our defenders get top defenders too will get exposed as a result. Yes bailly and lindelof have to improve but I think they'll perform a lot better when they have protection ahead of them and a Cm who can hold the play will give them much more time to reorganize.
And yet last season with the same midfield we only conceded one more league goal than City in the league. Bailly has been poor for far longer than he’s been half decent.

Our supporters make too many excuses for some players, some of which are not good enough. Bailly looked good to start with (but then so did William Prunier), but he’s done nothing to justify being a first team player for the majority of his time here, same for Lindelof.

Johan07

He has been in and out of the team too much. You need to play consistently as a CB, especially in the PL because of the tempo.
He has played RB before though and if Valencia is injured or just out of favour, I would give him a couple of games there now.
Especially with the games coming up against Chelski, Juve and City. There will not be a lot of attacking from our fullbacks anyhow for these games.
And it is an easier position to play positionally, which is arguably his biggest problem when playing CB.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The fact that you would place any blame on another defender is all that matters, it was 100% on Young. Yes, Matic should have done better but midfielders often miss interceptions and you expect your fullback to stay tight and not have his blood twisted twice by very average footballers.

As I say both goals are 100% on Young, if he simply does his job as a fullback, they score neither. If it's on Shaw's side, they score neither.
You are scapegoating Young for the goals and even use Shaw as an excuse to blame Young, I can see clearly because you hate him. To be fair, there are other players that also deserves to be mentioned for the goals and should take the share of the blame. Both goals clearly are not a single individual's fault.

You failed to identify what Matic did wrong. It's not about him failing to intercept the ball, Matic didn't mark his man during the throw in, it's the most basic thing in football. Young wouldn't need to be in one on one situation with Kenedy from the first place if Matic mark his man during the throw in.

Bailly was supposed to be in a good position to intercept the the pass but he did nothing, as a centre back he looked like headless chicken in that situation, unable to read the game well.

You think Young isn't doing his job as full back, then the same can be said to Matic didn't do his job during the throw in, and Bailly didn't do his job as centre back.

Don't let me get started with 2nd goal, Pogba didn't close down the crosser, Young got beaten and Bailly once again prove his ability not able to heading the ball.

Patrick08

And yet last season with the same midfield we only conceded one more league goal than City in the league.
Same midfield ? May be the the personnel but not the performances on the pitch. They just can win the possession back and hold the play , and nither good at pressing.

I was not saying bailly, lindelof and Smalling(the one you excluded) were faultless, but those 3 are only the last line of defense, the second line of defense is just not doing their job letting oppositions attack us with speed and directness right through them. We should defend and attack as a team and Cb 's alone are not responsible for poor showing. The singling out of cb's while moving the focus off from The ones who are supposed to break the play too will do no good for their confidences.

Red_Ramirez

That's what I keep saying.

If our so-called most talented players under our disposal displayed half the attitude and effort Ashley Young puts in week in week out we'd be challenging for the title. No question

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yea, let’s put Fellaini in front of our defenders so they don’t have to head the ball.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Now he lost a place on the bench. From Phil fecking Jones. This guy is fecked here. But we can get good money for him i guess.

Jojo <3 Mou

Now he lost a place on the bench. From Phil fecking Jones. This guy is fecked here. But we can get good money for him i guess.
Bailly is a raw talent emphasis on raw. There is no need for us to get rid of him but we need him to learn and improve in order to secure a starting spot. Rojo and Jones should be ahead of him of any list of players to be sold.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Bailly is a raw talent emphasis on raw. There is no need for us to get rid of him but we need him to learn and improve in order to secure a starting spot. Rojo and Jones should be ahead of him of any list of players to be sold.
Of course. But i think that Jose thinks other way

TsuWave

confidence must be utterly shattered. I know there’s a player in there

cheeky_backheel

I have a feeling he will get sold.
Doubt it - Bailly and Lindelof are the best prospects we have at CB.

Smalling will always be a disaster waiting to happen. He should be no more than a 4th choice in a top side, but he is the most experienced CB we have for now.

We should buy an experienced defensive leader (Alderweireld seems to be best value at the moment) and another very young physically dominant prospect, and we should be set in that position for like a decade.

Our current predicament is a consequence of failing to bring in top prospects to learn under Rio and Vidic, with Pique being a big loss.

redpatron

No doubt. Jose will get his 100 million cb, Smalling and jones both get extensions on massive wages. Eric will tear up serie a and play for another top 6 epl team in a few years and become our kdb.

Red_Ramirez

Hopefully they'll be a window of opportunity to get back into the team for him at some point and he takes his chance. Just like Shaw and Martial have done...

Decent centre-back and still relatively young, there's a player in there and I want to see him given every chance before we give on him....

He's just not the calmest of heads is he?? and can be rash. I also hate the way he goes up for a header

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We should be moving Jones + Rojo on way before Bailly.

He just needs confidence and trust in him from the manager. Unfortunately Jose doesn't have the patience for a guy like Bailly.

Kostov

I can understand the criticism this guy is getting for some of his performances, but there's a talent and he needs a chance just like Shaw and Martial before. If we sell him before we get rid of Jones and Rojo, that would be a fecking travesty.

Renegade

Jones & Rojo 100% need to go before Baily does. There is definitely a good defender in there low on confidence and direction.

Ashley R1+O

We don't sell from the front. We buy from the front and sell from the back, Rojo/Jones will go and I am guessing we go into next season with a +1, Smalling and Bailly/Lindelof as the backup.

Ekeke

I can understand the criticism this guy is getting for some of his performances, but there's a talent and he needs a chance just like Shaw and Martial before. If we sell him before we get rid of Jones and Rojo, that would be a fecking travesty.
Its not just about that though. We're clearly going to be bringing in a new CB. Smalling and Lindelof have clearly been our best CBs this season and with Rojo and Jones not playing enough to reasonably judge them, Bailly's terrible performances mean he's been our worst CB.

So when we sign a new CB and try them as first choice, Smalling and Lindelof will think they have a great chance competing for that 2nd CB spot. Bailly is still out in the wilderness. He had his chance, he fluffed it and Mourinho doesn't seem to have much faith in him.

Do you think Bailly when he signed for the club had plans to be anything but starting every week? He was expensive at the time. So I personally doubt that he's going to want to stick around for long if he's not first choice most of the time he's fit. Whereas Jones has been here so long that the ship has already sailed with him and I think he accepts that when fit he's going to be part of the squad and might break into the team, but equally might have long spells out of it.

Someone is bound to take a chance on Bailly at a cut price from what we paid, especially considering the over inflated CB prices at the moment. And maybe he carries on sinking, or maybe he swims in a new environment and probably a club with slightly lower expectations where he can make his mistakes and improve over time.

CA1

Rumours he might be sold in January.

If anyone actually bids money for this guy our luck may be turning for the better, we should run to the bank and cash it in. Terrible player with an embarrassing injury record.

Mcking

It seems Mourinho's fans genuinely hate on any player that is not on good terms Mourinho.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It seems Mourinho's fans genuinely hate on any player that is not on good terms Mourinho.
Exactly. Any player and I mean any player that has seemingly had issues or just been dropped by Mourinho become instincly hated by that faction. It's quite amazing really.

Canagel

Exactly. Any player and I mean any player that has seemingly had issues or just been dropped by Mourinho become instincly hated by that faction. It's quite amazing really.
And if they find form they'll claim it was all part of Mourinho masterplan like they did with Martial.

haram

He’s been shite for a while regardless of what Mourinho supposedly thinks of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.