Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yes I know, but he has played for 291 minutes this season. Thats only 3 matches, Smalling has played 14 matches, Lindelof 13 matches, and we are having one of the worst defense record since I can remember. Im not saying give him a definitive XI spot, but why not try? Like I said he has showned glympses of talent, just because a bad run of 3 matches we are going erase him for good?
I think we wont. But us getting out of the cup hurt him the most. Playing time was drasticslly cut down and he being in the worst form of all the defenders just fell through the pecking order. Especially after having to be the unlock one sacrificed to save the Newcastle game at home. Right now only the festive period and the return of the family cup can help give him extra mintues or perhaps quality for the next round of UCL after our next game. For unless the current starting defence produce a dramatic loss of form or a horror show defensively. JM is unlikely to risk dropping them bar injury till at least Dec.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I've started to notice this pattern too...
I wouldn’t bet against him making a Martial style resurgence. For me he’s still our most talented defender even if Mourinho has a vendetta against him at the moment.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I wouldn’t bet against him making a Martial style resurgence. For me he’s still our most talented defender even if Mourinho has a vendetta against him at the moment.
The difference is that Mourinho has given Bailly quite a few runs in the side and it's then been Bailly's own fault (sometimes through injury, sometimes through poor form) that he dropped out. His performances this season may have been the last straw and Mourinho may or may not have any interest in him going forward, but Bailly can't complain he wasn't given the opportunities.

MAME DIOUF 32

I really want this to work out. He's the kind of aggressive defender that can totally dominate his opponent on a good day. But for his age he's still so raw and with the team struggling it's hard to justify giving him another run in the team.

I think this would be a very different conversation if he hadn't got that injury.

Ashley R1+O

I'm just going to leave this here.
Leave what here?.. Honestly.. What was that video? This trend is genuinely starting to worry me. "Here is a 1 minute 40 video of some pretty routine stuff that happened on a football field.. WOW GUYS HOW GOOD IS HE!?"

Do people really judge players and football like this? Because it is starting to make a lot more sense with some of the toxicity on this forum. Sharing around some small snippets of good stuff that happened and then abusing people who want to talk about the flaws in a players game that are restricting them from making appearances in the first team. It kind of draws a paralell with the first team's mentality. "We just want the good stuff, when it is too hard oh well there is no consequences, managers fault I'm going home". Food for thought for sure.

Bailly will take back his place during the festive period.
Take back?.... What place? He's played chunks of 5-10 games here and there but he's never been a nailed down first team starter. I am not really sure what he's taking back in this scenario? It certainly seems that he needs to take the chance if he breaks back into the team and if indeed he isn't injured.

Leave what here?.. Honestly.. What was that video? This trend is genuinely starting to worry me. "Here is a 1 minute 40 video of some pretty routine stuff that happened on a football field.. WOW GUYS HOW GOOD IS HE!?"

Do people really judge players and football like this? Because it is starting to make a lot more sense with some of the toxicity on this forum. Sharing around some small snippets of good stuff that happened and then abusing people who want to talk about the flaws in a players game that are restricting them from making appearances in the first team. It kind of draws a paralell with the first team's mentality. "We just want the good stuff, when it is too hard oh well there is no consequences, managers fault I'm going home". Food for thought for sure.

Take back?.... What place? He's played chunks of 5-10 games here and there but he's never been a nailed down first team starter. I am not really sure what he's taking back in this scenario? It certainly seems that he needs to take the chance if he breaks back into the team and if indeed he isn't injured.
In his first EPL season he played 25 games. Im just saying I believe he can get back that form

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang

Brilliant post, mate.

Fergietime@99

He currently is not good enough when we play deep in our own box. But he should be the first defender in our team against someone like Vardy. On a good day he can bully those kinds of forwards

cheeky_backheel

You can only sell what someone is willing to buy.

who will buy rojo and jones with the kind of salary they are on. With all the criticism that Mourinho has heaped on Jones and smalling and yet they are still here. we havent been able to sell darmian too.

If we sell Bailly, its cos he is the only one any other club would buy. The rest would likely end up leaving for free.

el3mel

People can't realize that you can have a good game from time to time even if you have loads of flaws. Jones also had some great games but that's it, no consistency whatesover + loads of injuries. Bailly is the same. He's good on his day but he can't find any consistency, has too many brainless mistakes and is injury prone. Bringing an isolated game is useless. It's like those who aay player X is great with his national team. We know that these can put a single good performance but club level is all about consistency in playing with same performance 2 games a week, and loads of our players are exposed in this.

Maybe he had a good potential when we got him but Jones had got potential too. Too many flaws preventd Jones from becoming the player we hoped him to become and I'm seeing the same with Bailly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

You seem rather melodramatic on the topic.

Bailey did in his first season look a rising centre back star. Some of his performances were truly excellent. So it's not unreasonable at all to provide some visual context to a view that isn't necessarily based entirely on said visual imagery. But sure, be completely melodramatic as if someone posting a video has formed his entire opinion on a footballer on the basis of that little nugget posted in one of his posts. That sounds completely reasonable. As does then proceeding to sit on a high horse and claiming everyone else is unreasonable compared to your logical sensible self.

Essentially nobody judges footballers the way you're pretending they do.

Pretty obvious what he'd be taking back. He was a first choice CB for most of the first season if my memory serves me well. However it's been a bit of a mess since then. Hopefully he does claim/reclaim that spot and perform well form hereon. It's a tad strange that this phrasing irritated you. Do you have a strong dislike for this player? If so, why?

Also I seemingly refuse to spell the poor lads name correctly.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Bailey did in his first season look a rising centre back star. Some of his performances were truly excellent.
They were. But even in his first season he had patches of atrocious form. That's the problem with Bailly - he's shown no consistency whatsoever.

Could he come good and develop that consistency? Absolutely. But can we afford to go through those periods of terrible form where he's all over the place, in the hope (and that's all it would be) that he develops consistency? He could just as easily never change in that regard and we'll just be wasting our time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They were. But even in his first season he had patches of atrocious form. That's the problem with Bailly - he's shown no consistency whatsoever.

Could he come good and develop that consistency? Absolutely. But can we afford to go through those periods of terrible form where he's all over the place, in the hope (and that's all it would be) that he develops consistency? He could just as easily never change in that regard and we'll just be wasting our time.
I think he was largely excellent for a good phase of that 1st season (3/4th, was it?) particularly for a 22/23 year old CB in his first season in England. Problem is that he never kicked on from them to the heights we felt he could based on that start. Inconsistent, injuries and downright poor spells have followed since. Obviously we could put faith in him and he could let us down. But I still feel that if I'm building a CB quartet for the future, he forms a part of it unless his attitude is an issue. Ability-wise he's got plenty going for him. It's the focus and confidence that he needs to get right.

Canagel

Relax it was hardly routine the guy was out for 5 months and for your information here's what the caf made of his game.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/eric-bailly-2017-18-performances.430542/page-15#post-22272126

How are you supposed to iron out your flaws from the bench? But excuse us for wanting our best defenders to play
Will be interesting to see where things go from hhere. already been here before with our best attacker.

Patrick08

In his first EPL season he played 25 games. Im just saying I believe he van get back that form
Surely.. Mourinho's treatment is too harsh on young players making some mistakes. Bailly is the lastest victim after Shaw and Martial, also because lindelof is gaining some kind of form.

Surely.. Mourinho's treatment is too harsh on young players making some mistakes. Bailly is the lastest victim after Shaw and Martial, also because Lindelof is gaining some kind of form.
perhaps.
For me the Brighton game scarred him mentally. Then collect team results plummetted before he has had a chance to redeem himself. Like that cup game. Then that first half vs Newcastle. In which someone had to be sacrificed and it just happened to be him. Me thinks right now he is a victim of circumstance.

Ekeke

I cant see Woodward sanctioning this sale.

And I don't see Mourinho getting a 100mil defender in Jan either.
Why wouldnt he? Seems likely that Woodward is more willing to push the boat out and sign a new CB (overpriced like our targets tend to be) if we're recouping a decent amount from a sale.

Bailly's form has been total garbage but he's young enough with some raw attributes that a smaller club would be happy to take a chance on him

Patrick08

Why wouldnt he? Seems likely that Woodward is more willing to push the boat out and sign a new CB (overpriced like our targets tend to be) if we're recouping a decent amount from a sale.

Bailly's form has been total garbage but he's young enough with some raw attributes that a smaller club would be happy to take a chance on him
Rojo and jones should be the ones to make way, not bailly. He's the Martial of defensive Unit in my eyes. Selling bailly not a smart move at all.

ZAGREB RED

Bailly looked a good signing when he first came, very physical, in the mould of Vidic, hard as nails. Sadly it hasn't worked out, like all of United's CBs just now he looks woefully short on confidence and seems to be on Mourinho's shit list.
Wouldn't discard him just yet, he is still young and might come good in time, he has the potential anyway.

He currently is not good enough when we play deep in our own box. But he should be the first defender in our team against someone like Vardy. On a good day he can bully those kinds of forwards
Exactly this. We only really have one defender who prefers to sit deep - Smalling - and that's the tactic Mourinho seems to want us to use. Lindelof is making a go of it but really him and all the others prefer to be higher up the pitch.

Ekeke

Rojo and Jones should be the ones to make way, not Bailly. He's the Martial of defensive Unit in my eyes. Selling Bailly not a smart move at all.
Rojo and Jones wont make money.

Martial came in and carried the team as a teenager, Bailly was okay as a 23/24 year old.

There's only 2 things they have in common, 1 is they play for United.

Ashley R1+O

In his first EPL season he played 25 games. Im just saying I believe he can get back that form
Yes I noticed you kept posting this in the other thread as well. He's made chunks of appearances that included an 8 game block of games and another 7 game block of games. Due to fitness and other wider squad issues has not really nailed down a first team spot, yet. I agree he can work to get into the first team and stay there but you're looking at a minimum of maybe a year as first choice playing most games whilst only being rotated for rest before you can claim that as a starter. Something pretty much only Smalling has done over the last five years.

Couple that issue with the wider context surrounding the defense including the constant rotations, not even having real fullbacks we've got much deeper concerns than the individual ability of Bailly to get game time and influence our defensive fortunes. I'd like to see him back in the side but it is pretty clear he's a little bit raw and time is on his side, we can be patient here. Last in the door players need to go first like Rojo/Jones.

I asked a pretty simple questionl, referring to a pretty menial wider contextual point. I think you're projecting your own insecurities onto this, maybe you're infatuated with two minute clips of footballers and this hits a little too close to home? Perhaps?

Essentially nobody judges footballers the way you're pretending they do.
Yes, pretending to quote a post from a user doing exactly that and pretending to read the other thread about Mourinho's vindictiveness which; Surprise surprise has a couple of youtube clips at the top just for good measure.

Pretty obvious what he'd be taking back. He was a first choice CB for most of the first season if my memory serves me well. However it's been a bit of a mess since then. Hopefully he does claim/reclaim that spot and perform well form hereon. It's a tad strange that this phrasing irritated you.
It does not.
Do you have a strong dislike for this player? If so, why?
No.

SAFMUTD

He is finished here, Mou is starting Smalling and Phil Jones against Young Boys. He won't play again this season, hopefully the board will sack Mourinho before he totally ruins Bailly's confidence.

luke511

This guy had under 40 games of first team football before he joined us, he needs as much experience as he can get because he has the tools to become a top defender. What a waste of an appearance giving it to Phil Jones.

Bobski

Send him out on loan in January? He is the type of player I could see becoming a favourite of a new manager, still very young for a CB. Have to imagine that if Mou is still here he will have bought a CB in January, Bailly being used in a swap deal or a fund raiser is possible, might be in the clubs best interests to stash him somewhere until we know where the club is going.

NotQuiteManc

IMHO, he is suffering from lack of fitness and loss of form after being out for quite a long time, naturally. His confidence must be really low too after the last outing.

He is still young CB, and if none of the other CBs is going to be sold, it might be better for him to go out on loan even just to get some gametime. Zouma is another one of the young CB that suffered from loss of fitness and form after long injury layoff. He did a full season on loan, and came back ready to play for first team again.

Either that, or Mourinho is just a poor manager. :wenger:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He is also 28 years old and if he is better that can´t be more than marginally. So Rojo should be the first out the door.
The real problem is that both Bailly and Rojo have a habit of making decision mistakes, often at vital times.

I am more nervous when Rojo plays than Bailly.

RedDevil@84

Injuries

Jones - 84 weeks in 6 years
Rojo - 65 weeks in 4 years
Bailly - 22 weeks in 2 years.

Based on declared injuries. There are periods when the players are supposedly not injured, but not playing for mysterious reasons

CA1

Injured again.

He's a wage thief. Get him off the books ASAP.

CA1

The guy wasn't played when fit.

Let him find a club in January that will let him develop.
He's played plenty when he's been fit.

He's a waste of space.

People like him are a stain on our shirt.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He did play and was shit and has been shit for well over a year. He is ridiculously overrated on here and it is laughable people still claim he is our best defender. He has lived off of one spell of form, a spell all of our CBs have had at some point, all in that same season even. He's bang average with a terrible injury record. I'd be all for selling him while people are still fooled into thinking he is any good and get a decent fee.

Ekeke

Was hoping he'd get his chance to improve his record this season soon, because his performances have been terrible and he's not as bad as that. Then he gets injured again. Didnt we sign Rojo and Bailly because Smalling and Jones used to pick up a lot of injuries? Now Rojo and Bailly are the most injury prone. If Lindelof suddenly cant stay fit it would suggest our training is an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.