Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OzKangarooney

Both goals were more Youngs fault than Baillys, also i would imagine he would've done better than Mctominay ended up playing, terrible sub decision by mourinho imo.

OzKangarooney

Said it again, put him as DM in Gatusso mode (not really an anchor DM ala Makelele). He doesn't have positional sense, but otherwise very good with the ball, high energy, and good tackler.
Yeah i wouldn't mind seeing how he goes at least, same problem as Fosu Mensah but with less slide tackling

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Both goals were more Youngs fault than Baillys, also i would imagine he would've done better than Mctominay ended up playing, terrible sub decision by mourinho imo.
McTominay was even worse yet somehow Mourinho decides it's better to put him at CB although he's been shit even in his natural position.

Foxbatt

Bailly doesn't know how to play in a team. He has no sense of what is going around him. He on knows his game.

cantaldo

His current problems seem to stem from last season when mourinho ignored playing him just because he wasn't going to feature in the world cup.

CA1

A truly terrible player. As bad as I've seen.

This myth he's good on the ball is crazy stuff. Typical Caf getting its wired crossed out of desperation.

It's yet another Caf blunder I'm afraid.

Get rid ASAP. Bailly is a useless lummox.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Bailly would be far better suited to full back I reckon. 1v1 he can handle himself very well, but like others have said he hasn't a clue whats going on around him, positional wise he is a dummy

CA1

Bailly would be far better suited to full back I reckon. 1v1 he can handle himself very well, but like others have said he hasn't a clue whats going on around him, positional wise he is a dummy
But then he can't cross it or have the techincal ability on the ball for when it needs to come inside.

Just get rid.

Rossa

He is athletic and uses it as his one and only tool. He thinks he can outrun and outmuscle every player. He probably pretty much can, but he can't recover 10-15 yards on every player. Looking at the first goal, it was as if he anticipated the run but decided that he would catch him, which he didn't. Rio was just as fast, if not faster, than Bailly, but he never let himself get exposed like this - nor does Smalling, who also has that speed. Centre backs who go about sprinting all over the place display poor positioning. Jones is exactly the same. Smalling has to play the sensible one, and I'm not sure that's his best role either.

saivet

His current problems seem to stem from last season when mourinho ignored playing him just because he wasn't going to feature in the world cup.
That was absolute nonsense from Mourinho. He just didn't want to play him for whatever reason and used that as an excuse. Smalling was playing for us even though we all knew he wasn't making the England squad.

Ekeke

Positioning is just as important for a fullback. Fullbacks playing attackers onside when the rest of the defense have them offside are still a problem. There are no defensive roles that suit a player with poor awareness because defending is a team job. Even wingers sometimes lose their place in the team when their positioning and awareness isnt as good as a manager wants.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Positioning is just as important for a fullback. Fullbacks playing attackers onside when the rest of the defense have them offside are still a problem. There are no defensive roles that suit a player with poor awareness because defending is a team job. Even wingers sometimes lose their place in the team when their positioning and awareness isnt as good as a manager wants.
Yeah I get that he may be a yard or so off the mark but he is physically in good enough shape to keep up or catch runners. I would rather a full back slightly out of position than a centre back 30 yards forward pressing and leaving a gaping hole right through the middle. It was like Evra never covered himself positionally at times but he got back in and covered. Worked well for him

Ekeke

Yeah I get that he may be a yard or so off the mark but he is physically in good enough shape to keep up or catch runners. I would rather a full back slightly out of position than a centre back 30 yards forward pressing and leaving a gaping hole right through the middle. It was like Evra never covered himself positionally at times but he got back in and covered. Worked well for him
That can be okay if you're too far forward and someone is able to cover for you. But not okay if you're too far back and play someone onside.

Jojo <3 Mou

So, Bailly was hyped to ridiculous levels but he is better than what we are currently seeing.
Like many others he is not coping well with the pressures of life at United. This is worsened by his tendency to be very rash and his inability to concentrate for 90 minutes, poor passing and positioning. His speed and physicality have normally come to his rescue but he is failing badly at the moment.

So, he has a lot to work on! I am not sure how the coaches and Bailly can fix it, but I wouldn't write him off.

Edit: How one word changes everything

Last edited:

It's far easier to position yourself as a full back than as a centre back. You go by what the centre backs are doing and you usually have a single line of sight to worry about instead of players both sides of you.

Bailly just needs a leader next to him. A properly functioning defence has someone who controls the line, when to step up, who goes for challenges and who covers, who takes the ball forward and things like that. We don't have anybody either capable or willing to do that and you can tell Bailly is all at sea when he doesn't have that direction. His potential ability is clear or Mourinho wouldn't keep starting seasons with him or bringing him back into the team so quickly.

Last edited:

T A

Never doubt Bailly's ability. He's way better than the likes of Jones or Smalling

Fergietime@99

I think his confidence has been knocked after the Brighton game. When he is at his best he makes me enjoy defending like Vidic did.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is all this "ability" and "potential" based on though? Because it certainly isn't his defending.
Watch him when he is playing at his best. Some players just have purple patches but in the right environment you can usually get them consistently to or near their top level. All our defenders bar perhaps Smalling are performing way below what they have done in the past. Bailly won player of the month and was our best defender in his first few games with us.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's been here ages and I don't have a clue how to rate him as a player. Has always seemed on the cusp of being good, but another defender who shows no sign of improving.

Ekeke

What is all this "ability" and "potential" based on though? Because it certainly isn't his defending.
The idea that a 24 year old player who is all physicality and aggression will magically get his head sorted out one day and be good at reading the game.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Another example of a good young player getting worse under Jose.

Nick7

Watch him when he is playing at his best. Some players just have purple patches but in the right environment you can usually get them consistently to or near their top level. All our defenders bar perhaps Smalling are performing way below what they have done in the past. Bailly won player of the month and was our best defender in his first few games with us.

So did Darmian.

Miles better than his current form, a young defender in a poor patch, coupled with injuries and struggling with the pressure.

Will be a cracking defender still, would have loved to see him play alongside a top experienced CB like Rio.

If only he could sort out his heading technique but I fear that's here to stay, even when everything else becomes more consistent.

Not sure why people think he's the new scapegoat, he was poor & did nothing in the game so he deserves the criticism and he was part of the culprit in both goals.
Both goals were 100% on Young, absolutely dog shit defending and had his blood twisted by two wank footballers. You wouldn't get away with defending like that in my Swedish div 3 side.

But yeah, let's partly blame Bailly and then claim we're not sure why people think he's a scapegoat.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Both goals were 100% on Young, absolutely dog shit defending and had his blood twisted by two wank footballers. You wouldn't get away with defending like that in my Swedish div 3 side.

But yeah, let's partly blame Bailly and then claim we're not sure why people think he's a scapegoat.
Well, if you only quote one sentence then obviously it sounds like Bailly is made of scapegoat.

The whole of my quote also blaming Young & Matic for the goal.

meninred

A lot of fans used to praise him esp last year. How come this sudden change ? Besides he was injured.

Stacks

Seemed very good when he arrived. Like Martial.
My housemate who is from the continent of Africa, the Western part, was laughing watching Bailly and he says "This guy is a very typical African defender" whatever that meant. I don't think he was being complimentary and I doubt be rates him as a good defender at all

Silas

My housemate who is from the continent of Africa, the Western part, was laughing watching Bailly and he says "This guy is a very typical African defender" whatever that meant. I don't think he was being complimentary and I doubt be rates him as a good defender at all
Er, why is his opinion relevant? Is he supposed to be more knowledgeable because he's also African, even though Bailly came through the Spanish system?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Er, why is his opinion relevant? Is he supposed to be more knowledgeable because he's also African, even though Bailly came through the Spanish system?
He might be? That 'typical African defender' quote tells me something about temperament and lack of positional disiplin. Something I've often noticed in African teams in the World Cups. Whether that stems from typical coaching in the national teams or something else I don't know but i get the stereotyping. Bailly definitely seems to struggle to compose himself.

Web of Bissaka

A lot of fans used to praise him esp last year. How come this sudden change ? Besides he was injured.
Nothing new, it's a kind of a thing here, up and down repeated cycle. Patience up and down with any player's performances.

First Phase
Play well ~ "He's so good, amazing!"
-or
Play shit ~ "He's so rubbish, useless, overrated! What's so special about him? Waste of money. Why do we even get him?"

Second/Third/Etc Phases
Play well ~ "He's so good. Told you guys. Amazing! I always believe in him."
-then..
Play shit ~ "He's so rubbish, useless, overrated! What's so special about him? Waste of money. Why do we even get him? Get rid, sell him! Get a new player."
-then..
Play well ~ "He's so good. Told you guys. Amazing! I always believe in him."
-then..
Play shit ~ "He's so rubbish, useless, overrated! What's so special about him? Waste of money. Why do we even get him? Get rid, sell him! Get a new player."
-and so on and so on.

Negan

People are writing him off too early. It’s like nobody can have a bad run of form without being called a “fraud” or useless or whatever.

The talent is obvious to see. He will be one of the worlds best CBs. Just you watch.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
So did Darmian.
People get over excited about new signings and overrate them. Personally I commented on Darmian's lack of attacking ability and Billy's rashness and weakness in the air from their early games.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
People get over excited about new signings and overrate them. Personally I commented on Darmian's lack of attacking ability and Billy's rashness and weakness in the air from their early games.
So, what do you think of Fred?

Status
Not open for further replies.