Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalanalysis

Good with the ball when he is not under pressure. Slightest pressure and he’s horrible. Poor at defending, no coincidence both goals are in his path. Passive.
He switched off and was passive for the second goal (and to a slightly lesser extent the first goal) but to critise his ball playing? That's stretching.

He was more than fine with the ball when pressed or not. I think you've confusing him with Lindelof, who when playing at right back got a taste of his own medicine where AWB receives tentative square balls into his path i.e not given an opportunity to do much with it.

Like Lindelof, he's not helped when we decide to flood all our midfielders and attackers deep into the other team's half and just expect the ball from the defence to somehow transition into the oppositions territory; poor tactics and lack of coaching from Ole there. However, on the whole he's still more composed and assured on it than Lindelof.

I thought it was a poor game from Bailly simply because of his (lack of) involvement in both conceded goals. Otherwise, I thought he was 'passable' as he has other qualities and at that standard, I'm happy to give him more chances to partner Maguire. Unfortunately, it may come due to Lindelol's injury but I honestly don't think we're losing much there as a like-for-like replacement.

A-man

He switched off and was passive for the second goal (and to a slightly lesser extent the first goal) but to critise his ball playing? That's stretching.

He was more than fine with the ball when pressed or not. I think you've confusing him with Lindelof, who when playing at right back got a taste of his own medicine where AWB receives tentative square balls into his path i.e not given an opportunity to do much with it.

Like Lindelof, he's not helped when we decide to flood all our midfielders and attackers deep into the other team's half and just expect the ball from the defence to somehow transition into the oppositions territory; poor tactics and lack of coaching from Ole there. However, on the whole he's still more composed and assured on it than Lindelof.

I thought it was a poor game from Bailly simply because of his (lack of) involvement in both conceded goals. Otherwise, I thought he was 'passable' as he has other qualities and at that standard, I'm happy to give him more chances to partner Maguire. Unfortunately, it may come due to Lindelol's injury but I honestly don't think we're losing much there as a like-for-like replacement.
Bailly is most of the time good with tje ball shen there is no stress but when he is pressed it can ens up anywhere. It’s not only when carry the ball, it’s also when he is clearing the ball. However, I shouldn’t complain too about it, overall he is quite good with the ball.

I’m not sure what Lindeof and AWB has to with this?

criticalanalysis

Bailly is most of the time good with tje ball shen there is no stress but when he is pressed it can ens up anywhere. It’s not only when carry the ball, it’s also when he is clearing the ball. However, I shouldn’t complain too about it, overall he is quite good with the ball.

I’m not sure what Lindeof and AWB has to with this?
There was very few occasions where him being pressed lead to a bad ball. I agree with the clearances though, he does have one or two awkward moments but at the same time, he's proactive. In the first 20-30mins alone, I think he cleared 3-4 (near post) balls in the box.

I think like most, I'm ambivalent about Bailly atm. I hope he get's a few consecutive games for us to really judge what he can or can't do. He played his part in the goals conceded but I'm more overall disappointed with the game management from the coach.

thepolice123

That was exactly what I was thinking throughout the match. :lol:

A-man

There was very few occasions where him being pressed lead to a bad ball. I agree with the clearances though, he does have one or two awkward moments but at the same time, he's proactive. In the first 20-30mins alone, I think he cleared 3-4 (near post) balls in the box.

I think like most, I'm ambivalent about Bailly atm. I hope he get's a few consecutive games for us to really judge what he can or can't do. He played his part in the goals conceded but I'm more overall disappointed with the game management from the coach.
What I find a bit weird is how passive he was at the two goals. Especially the second where Vardy was the only one man in the box. Bailly is
described in many ways but passive is normally not one of them. I would more expect him to give away a penalty because of an over violent tackle, than to give away a goal because of being passive.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What I find a bit weird is how passive he was at the two goals. Especially the second where Vardy was the only one man in the box. Bailly is
described in many ways but passive is normally not one of them. I would more expect him to give away a penalty because of an over violent tackle, than to give away a goal because of being passive.
To be fair to the defence, it was outstanding play from Vardy, getting them to commit under pressure and then dropping off to receive the ball. Killer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really good performance from Eric.

made the goal with some lovely forward passing into a tight space also. Deserves a run in the side.

Adam-Utd

Usual handball but it came to nothing
If your own team mate kicks the ball at your hand what can you expect? That’s not his fault at all.

Fred should have gone wide exactly where he was pointing.

hilarious the mental gymnastics some people go through to try and prove somebody didn’t play well :lol: Bailly played great. So much more composed on the ball.

A-man

To be fair to the defence, it was outstanding play from Vardy, getting them to commit under pressure and then dropping off to receive the ball. Killer.
It was great by all Leicester attack, but still, one man in the box and Bailly didn’t commit at all. I would have been ok with it if he committed himself but failed.

A-man

If your own team mate kicks the ball at your hand what can you expect? That’s not his fault at all.

hilarious the mental gymnastics some people go through to try and prove somebody didn’t play well :lol: Bailly played great. So much more composed on the ball.
We all have different expectations from a defender. His (non) action in the box at Vardys goal is not what I call “great”, it was actually very poor.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I haven’t tried to prove anything. Though fans like you who think he’s a good player are the hilarious ones. He may have been ok today and that’s all it was but until we upgrade on players like him, we’ll just go on accepting mediocrity

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It was great by all Leicester attack, but still, one man in the box and Bailly didn’t commit at all. I would have been ok with it if he committed himself but failed.
I think all of our defenders need to improve their awareness in those situations.

Adam-Utd

We all have different expectations from a defender. His (non) action in the box at Vardys goal is not what I call “great”, it was actually very poor.
Not really an individual error. They smashed the ball across the box and it just so happened to fall to vardy who dropped off. It happens in a split second.

yes in ideal world he could have got tighter but every goal has an error somewhere.

The biggest ever was allowing Perez to drift into the box under zero pressure. Between shaw/pogba/Fred that’s on them.

Adam-Utd

I haven’t tried to prove anything. Though fans like you who think he’s a good player are the hilarious ones. He may have been ok today and that’s all it was but until we upgrade on players like him, we’ll just go on accepting mediocrity
Nothing hilarious about you being a poor judge of player I guess.

criticalanalysis

That was exactly what I was thinking throughout the match. :lol:
To be fair to Lindelof, that's not his position but yeah it was a bit funny seeing the exact same scenarios play out when he's always the one pointing and gesturing.

He's aggressive when it comes to defending in front of him and in the channels. When it's requires a bit more nuance like checking your run, watching your shoulder/the line etc, he has a lot to learn. In a way, he's the opposite to Lindelof.

It happened for Son's second (?) against Spurs too. He just switched off when the ball came across the box. Disappointing stuff. I think Ole/Maguire can make use of Bailly's strengths though i.e we need to play a higher line and be more proactive in our pressing/defending in our half. However, i doubt that will happen, as neither of those two have shown micro managing ability or awareness thus far but you can only hope..

stevoc

To be fair I think you’re employing some mental gymnastics of your own if you seriously think that was a really good performance from Eric today.

It was a passable performance at best but he could and should have done better on both of their goals. Not that he was the only one who should have done better.

He can’t be blamed for the handball though. That was a Fred brain fart.

A-man

Not really an individual error. They smashed the ball across the box and it just so happened to fall to vardy who dropped off. It happens in a split second.

yes in ideal world he could have got tighter but every goal has an error somewhere.

The biggest ever was allowing Perez to drift into the box under zero pressure. Between shaw/pogba/Fred that’s on them.
Still it’s not what I would call “great”. He was ok most of the time and his pass for our second goal was also good. Then the goals happened. He should have done better. And conceded goals are always going to be a big part of how we rate a CB’s performance.

Adam-Utd

To be fair I think you’re employing some mental gymnastics of your own if you seriously think that was a really good performance from Eric today.

It was a passable performance at best but he could and should have done better on both of their goals. Not that he was the only one who should have done better.

He can’t be blamed for the handball though. That was a Fred brain fart.
I thought he was great.

away to Leicester and they had 2 chances all game. What mistakes did he make?

you see what you want to see clearly. I’m sure the stats will back it up too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That mad handball was so Bailly.
Not necessarily even his fault. but just the sort of ludicrous little moments he gets involved in.

Adam-Utd

Still it’s not what I would call “great”. He was ok most of the time and his pass for our second goal was also good. Then the goals happened. He should have done better. And conceded goals are always going to be a big part of how we rate a CB’s performance.
zero big errors, only 1 he could have done slightly better with over 90 minutes.

the 90 minute performance to me is just as important we never looked troubled at all. They had 2 chances and scored them.

If he plays like that regularly I’ll be very happy.

Steve 007

I like Bailly, there’s a player in there, a little bit of me thinks he could be our Vidic/ Stam type defender but then he goes and makes me look like a mug by defending like a Sunday league player. I’d like to see him become the player a lot of people think he can but without a run of games he won’t. As for that back pass what was he thinking.

Adam-Utd

I like Bailly, there’s a player in there, a little bit of me thinks he could be our Vidic/ Stam type defender but then he goes and makes me look like a mug by defending like a Sunday league player. I’d like to see him become the player a lot of people think he can but without a run of games he won’t. As for that back pass what was he thinking.
He was thinking Fred pass it to shaw he’s open... oh!

Redlyn

He makes me nervous and conflicted. A bit of a madman yet somewhat solid.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Anyone see where his hands were in his attempt to block Barnes' goal!? Someone better coach that out of him fast!

A-man

He's aggressive when it comes to defending in front of him and in the channels. When it's requires a bit more nuance like checking your run, watching your shoulder/the line etc, he has a lot to learn. In a way, he's the opposite to Lindelof.

It happened for Son's second (?) against Spurs too. He just switched off when the ball came across the box. Disappointing stuff. I think Ole/Maguire can make use of Bailly's strengths though i.e we need to play a higher line and be more proactive in our pressing/defending in our half. However, i doubt that will happen, as neither of those two have shown micro managing ability or awareness thus far but you can only hope..
They are opposite in that sense, agree.Lindelof has however improved his aggressiveness high up the field lately, especially today where his won back the ball many times. But he is never aggressive around the box when he has the forward in front of him.
As for Bailly it is har d to say what the problem is. I can’t really believe that a CB switches off in the middle of an attack. It’s probably more poor awareness, positioning and making the wrong decision. Today he was in the wrong place at both goals. That’s also why Inthinknit can be dangerous to play a high line with Bailly. He is not the right person to cover the whole space behind as he doesn’t read the game good enough. Imo he is best in a 3 at the back formation.

criticalanalysis

They are opposite in that sense, agree.Lindelof has however improved his aggressiveness high up the field lately, especially today where his won back the ball many times. But he is never aggressive around the box when he has the forward in front of him.
As for Bailly it is har d to say what the problem is. I can’t really believe that a CB switches off in the middle of an attack. It’s probably more poor awareness, positioning and making the wrong decision. Today he was in the wrong place at both goals. That’s also why Inthinknit can be dangerous to play a high line with Bailly. He is not the right person to cover the whole space behind as he doesn’t read the game good enough. Imo he is best in a 3 at the back formation.
Yeah Lindelof has improved in that aspect. He's getting a lot of consistent games and with that experience, you can tell he has a lot of confidence, which can only be a good thing. You know how I feel about Lindelof's ability though, which is why I'm hoping Bailly can get games/rhythm so we can try using his qualities.

Also, I know what you're saying but he was in the correct positions, so at the very least, we can see he was where he was meant to be. The problem though was that he not being aware or choosing the right option e.g 1st goal, he should have got closer and block the shot and with the 2nd goal, he should have been touch tight not ball watching.

As for playing a higher line, actually I think Bailly has been good in these situations with possibly the Spurs game being the outlier but then that was just an overall mess. I'm not saying it won't happen again i.e we can get exposed by smart/top quality opposition but I think it's worth experimenting with as we can become a bit more dominant and be on the front foot. Ultimately though it might just be a pipe dream. If Ole continues to tinker and adapt to the opposition, leaving out players like Pogba, Cavani etc, he's nowhere near close to be able to coach that level of game I think many of us want. It needs to be a conscious effort and tactic, whereas right now it's far too free flowing and basic.

You can't come out of the blocks and blitz Leeds in one game and then play tentatively against Leicester and expect consistency from a top level squad.

stevoc

I thought he was great.

away to Leicester and they had 2 chances all game. What mistakes did he make?
Mistakes? No major ones there were a few times he was sloppy with the ball, sold people short with his passing, a few erratic clearances etc. nothing major just the usual we can expect from Bailly. As i said he wasn't too bad but should have did better on both the goals.

But just because he didn't make any howlers doesn't automatically equate to a great performance.

Is that your yard stick for a defensive performance?

you see what you want to see clearly. I’m sure the stats will back it up too.
You seem to be projecting there mate. As you are seeing a great performance where very few if any others did.

It was a 5 out of 10 performance and most seem to agree.

Adam-Utd

Mistakes? No major ones there were a few times he was sloppy with the ball, sold people short with his passing, a few erratic clearances etc. nothing major just the usual we can expect from Bailly. As i said he wasn't too bad but should have did better on both the goals.

But just because he didn't make any howlers doesn't automatically equate to a great performance.

You seem to be projecting there mate. As you are seeing a great performance where very few if any others did.

Sorry mate, 2/3 people with an agenda on a forum won’t convince me what is a good or bad performance. He was absolutely fine today.

yes in a perfect world he could have tracked vardy better for the 2nd goal but that movement is exactly why vardy is such a good goal scorer.

anyway with lindelof crocked looks like you’ll have to put up with him a while longer.

MetoTTT

It was basic movement.
That's the hardest thing for a lot of players, do the basics, do them well and be efficient on a regular basis. There are lot of great players you know what they'll do but they do it so well that most of time you can't prevent them to do it.

The Original

Why is his involvement in the second goal getting glossed over though?

He showed good ball playing instincts there with a crisp line-breaking pass that set Cavani off.

That's worthy of commendation.

simplyared

It's difficult for a defender without game time to come in and play 90 mins and be perfect. With that in mind thought he did well. If he could get a run of games free of injury he'd gain in confidence and we'd see a different player I reckon.

MetoTTT

It's difficult for a defender without game time to come in and play 90 mins and be perfect. With that in mind thought he did well. If he could get a run of games free of injury he'd gain in confidence and we'd see a different player I reckon.
Totally agree. I hope he'll stay fit and play every game.
Some on here wrote off VdB already because he didn't make "that pass".:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.