Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's playing well and his attributes are exactly what we need alongside Maguire. But we still should go ahead and sign a CB in the summer who has Bailly's strengths with the added bonus of being aerially dominant too. That CB will then put the pressure on Maguire as well as the rest because currently people are quick to point out how Maguire is our only aerially dominant CB which is true. But having a CB who is quick, athletic, technically good and aerially strong will benefit the team and open up different potential CB combinations. I know who I hope the club go for, but it's important we bring someone in who fits the criteria that has been reported on.

romufc

Maguire is better on the ball , that includes first touch, dribbling, and passing.
Better at attacking the ball. Ability wise, has higher reach and bigger presence.
Diagonal passes, short or long.
Better composure.
Better standing tackles.

All of that is rubbish if you have a crap partner.

Bailly V Maguire should not be a thing.

Bailly and Maguire compliment each other and mask the others flaws.

TsuWave

Maguire is better on the ball , that includes first touch, dribbling, and passing.
wrong. I don’t know how anyone that has been watching us play can seriously say Maguire is better on the ball than Bailly :lol: come on.

Better at attacking the ball. Ability wise, has higher reach and bigger presence.
Attacking the ball? you mean aerially? If so, I’d agree.

what the hell does “ability wise, has higher reach and bigger presence” even means? Bailly is countless times more assertive than Maguire, I don’t know how you’re translating Maguire having a bigger presence than him.

Diagonal passes, short or long.
Maguire is not a better passer than Bailly, and this is without mentioning you already tried to sneak the passing shit above. Padding up the list?

Better composure.
debatable, again, Bailly is more assertive. People here seem to be of the belief that if you’re a CB who’s constantly back tracking you’re “composed”. Not to say that’s strictly Maguire’s playstyle, but Bailly cleans up for Maguire time and again, it’s hard to look James Bond smooth when you’re constantly bailing your partner out.

Better standing tackles.
debatable.

there aren’t many things that Maguire is better than Bailly at. It pretty much starts and stops at aerial ability.

TsuWave

Just waiting for that stupid pen/red card or injury from Bailly.

Hope he proves me wrong.
I don’t know why people keep saying this as if our other CB’s are fault free or something.

Fact of the matter is we have looked better with Bailly in the team. “Just waiting on that stupid pen/red card” is a weird take if the trade off is a better defensive unit 90% of the time. Posting that “just waiting” nonsense all the time so if it does eventually happen to then be able to act like Nostradamus seems like an even bigger scam than a pyramid scheme.

Last edited:

meamth

wrong. I don’t know how anyone that has been watching us play can seriously say Maguire is better on the ball than Bailly :lol: come on.

Attacking the ball? you mean aerially? If so, I’d agree.

what the hell does “ability wise, has higher reach and bigger presence” even means? Bailly is countless times more assertive than Maguire, I don’t know how you’re translating Maguire having a bigger presence than him.

Maguire is not a better passer than Bailly, and this is without mentioning you already tried to sneak the passing shit above. Padding up the list?

debatable, again, Bailly is more assertive. People here seem to be of the belief that if you’re a CB who’s constantly back tracking you’re “composed”. Not to say that’s strictly Maguire’s playstyle, but Bailly cleans up for Maguire time and again, it’s hard to look James Bond smooth when you’re constantly bailing your partner out.

debatable.

there aren’t many things that Maguire is better than Bailly at. It pretty much starts and stops at aerial ability.
I clearly haven't seen Bailly have much class and technical ability carrying the ball forward.

Bailly's first touch is sometimes erratic.

Maguire is classy on the ball, we can't say the same about Bailly.

meamth

Just saying that because he said Maguire is inferior footballer compared to Bailly.

mav_9me

In no way should he be dropped for Victor vs. Liverpool.

Nothing against Lindelöf, but Bailly has a) been great and b) is clearly such a compliment to Maguire.
His pace is such an asset. Really compliments Maguire in partnership.
He’s the king of sliding blocks unquestionably. He compliments Maguire better than Lindelof too with his recovery pace.
This is the sort of form we saw when he first joined the club and showed so much promise. Compliments Maguire almost perfectly.
Hopefully he can stay fit for as long as possible as he’s been brilliant these past few weeks. Seeing him cover our defenders on the left side of the pitch yesterday due to his pace was fantastic to watch. He compliments Maguire well and we need that pace and ability to not be bullied at the back.
continue to disagree.

Maguire and Bailly look like they are complimenting each other. Still needs more time than 5-6 games.

As part of that, obviously Maguire makes Bailly look better. Just imagine Bailly and Lindelof or Bailly and Tuanzebe. People are talking about how Bailly is making Maguire look better, because he’s the new one of the partnership. How obvious is that?

and obviously there’s doubt over who would be better over the longer term.

How about we be happy that we have a partnership that looks to be working well. It will get thoroughly tested at the weekend.

far better to look at facts than fiction, and that’s that Bailly has barely been available for the past 2 years.

to proclaim “if it wasn’t for injuries” means the square route of nothing and it not a worthwhile argument.

Stunned that not a single person used complement correctly.

Sorry for being a pedant but that was stunning. Not a single correct use of complement.

TsuWave

I clearly haven't seen Bailly have much class and technical ability carrying the ball forward.

Bailly's first touch is sometimes erratic.

Maguire is classy on the ball, we can't say the same about Bailly.
Maguire being "classy" on the ball is one of the biggest myths in recent times. That's not to say he's atrocious, but he's certainly not better than Bailly. In fact, I don't know what kind of games you've been watching, if any at all, because your opinion is so wide of the mark. Even a quick look at this thread has people corroborating Bailly being good on the ball:

He is our best ball playing center back. He dribbles without fear and is not afraid to play passes between the lines. Many times in this game he evaded pressure by dribbling forward instead of taking the cowardly approach to clear the ball and give back possession. Healthy bailly and we have options.
Was more positive on the ball than Maguire too
Bailly is actually excellent on the ball for a centre half. He looks very comfortable on the ball, especially when he strides forward with it. I would say that’s one of his better qualities. He’s so confident on the ball he even drops a shoulder from time to time and comes away with it like a don. I would say his ability on the ball is stronger than some of his defensive abilities like heading.
I don’t understand how anyone can watch Bailly and not think he is excellent on the ball.
he was so calm when being pressed using a feint or a movement to beat his man and bring the ball forward. I loved that composure from Eric tonight, well played.
He's so calm with the ball and looks as a extremely techinical defender capable of doing tricks only forwards can but at the same time he's also capable of major feck ups. Its always the same with him, he plays and we all fall in love with his class until he either fecks ups big time or gets injured.

A-man

Just saying that because he said Maguire is inferior footballer compared to Bailly.
Keep in mind that Bailly has had a good but very short run of PL games, mostly against average to weaker teams, while Maguire has played continuously since we signed him. If we picked a short run of Maguire’s best matches and assumed that was his base line, he would look world class.

mav_9me

The difference between Bailly and lindelof is huge for me. Bailly is so much more aggressive and proactive. And even reactive things like blocks Bailly is much better.

Actually it's simple Bailly is so much more active while Lindelof is so passive.

I don't see much of a title chance for us but any chance depends on Bailly being fit.

meamth

Maguire being "classy" on the ball is one of the biggest myths in recent times. That's not to say he's atrocious, but he's certainly not better than Bailly. In fact, I don't know what kind of games you've been watching, if any at all, because your opinion is so wide of the mark. Even a quick look at this thread has people corroborating Bailly being good on the ball:
Seriously mate.

If you can find me a player with Maguire's trademark dribbling to the final third with his outside foot dribbling, show me. Mind you this is a collosal sized man.

I have seen many CBs over the years, none possessed that level of swagger and confidence apart from Van Dijk, and some of the world's best.

Bailly is exceptional, but haven't shown much class on the ball as Maguire.

TsuWave

What I said was this actually:

He’s better than Maguire for me.
then you made a list of supposed attributes Maguire has over Bailly, some which aren't reflective of reality.

Keep in mind that Bailly has had a good but very short run of PL games, mostly against average to weaker teams, while Maguire has played continuously since we signed him. If we picked a short run of Maguire’s best matches and assumed that was his base line, he would look world class.
I've got you pegged as Lindelof's or his missus burner account. Every game Bailly plays well is like ether to your soul because you start clocking double shifts in this thread to undermine said performances. Now you're tag teaming other users incorrect posts (I merely said Bailly is better for me), as if to add more validity to yours. Going out sad.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Seriously mate.

If you can find me a player with Maguire's trademark dribbling to the final third with his outside foot dribbling, show me. Mind you this is a collosal sized man.

I have seen many CBs over the years, none possessed that level of swagger and confidence apart from Van Dijk, and some of the world's best.

Bailly is exceptional, but haven't shown much class on the ball as Maguire.
This guy is the same height as Maguire.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Seeing how good Bailly is even if he is injury prone - do you think we should cash in on Lindelof for a new CB?

A-man

I've got you pegged as Lindelof's or his missus burner account. Every game Bailly plays well is like ether to your soul because you start clocking double shifts in this thread to undermine said performances. Now you're tag teaming other users incorrect posts (I merely said Bailly is better for me), as if to add more validity to yours. Going out sad.
Doesn't matter if how much "pegging" you do. You can't use a handful of good games from Bailly and compare to Maguire's all matches. It reminds me of the Messi LinGod time when Lingard had a handful of very good games and some believed he was amazing. That's jumping to conclusions too soon.

Seeing how good Bailly is even if he is injury prone - do you think we should cash in on Lindelof for a new CB?
no. Would keep Lindelof. Generally his fitness has been good, and he’s a solid CB to have in the squad.

We wouldn’t get a great deal of money for him - £20m, so he’s worth keeping even if Bailly stayed fit.

we need a new CB. If afterwards it turns out the likes of Bailly, Lindelof and Tuenzebe don’t get games and want to leave, then so be it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would love to sign this guy but looks impossible with Upamecano already leaving in the summer
Leipzig have already signed one highly rated prospect (Gvardiol) and are also trying to sign Simikan from Strasbourg. I wouldn't be surprised if both leave.

croadyman

Leipzig have already signed one highly rated prospect (Gvardiol) and are also trying to sign Simikan from Strasbourg. I wouldn't be surprised if both leave.
I know he isn't a LCB but that doesn't present an issue to me, however maybe we are only looking at LCB options

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Doesn't matter if how much "pegging" you do. You can't use a handful of good games from Bailly and compare to Maguire's all matches. It reminds me of the Messi LinGod time when Lingard had a handful of very good games and some believed he was amazing. That's jumping to conclusions too soon.
Bailly had plenty of good matches in the past but you choose to ignore that.

Whenever he's had a good run he got a bad injury before - he's been unlucky more than anything.

I remember in his first season he was fantastic away to man city

A-man

Bailly had plenty of good matches in the past but you choose to ignore that.

Whenever he's had a good run he got a bad injury before - he's been unlucky more than anything.

I remember in his first season he was fantastic away to man city

It was not me who chose to ignore any matches, I was actually criticising the fact that his last few matches were hand picked, even leaving out the Spurs game this season. And then used to represent his level and compare to Maguire.

The matches you refer to are five years ago which seems rather insignificant now. The last years he has only played a few important games and mostly cup matches.

Edit I also remember how exciting he was his first months here. Unfortunately the following four years have been less exciting.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

It was not me who chose to ignore any matches, I was actually criticising the fact that his last few matches were hand picked, even leaving out the Spurs game this season.

The matches you refer to are five years ago which seems rather insignificant now. The last years he has only played a few important games and mostly cup matches.
The point is he always had the talent and level of performance he's showing now - people say "this is only a purple patch" whic his clearly nonsense.

Yes his 2 knee injuries caused him issues and took away 2/3 years of his career, but he's making up for that now.

To think some people actually suggested selling him :lol: madness

A-man

The point is he always had the talent and level of performance he's showing now - people say "this is only a purple patch" whic his clearly nonsense.

Yes his 2 knee injuries caused him issues and took away 2/3 years of his career, but he's making up for that now.

We can look at him from two perspectives: current form and long term. If we want to compare him with Maguire and Lindelof from a strategic point of view, to find out what CB we would need to sign, then obviously long term performance is important. I don’t think we have performance data enough to conclude anything. The only thing we know is to not trust him to stay fit.

Most people wanted him gone after the Spurs game. Since then he has played 4 PL matches and 1.5 cup matches and it seem to be enough for many to now say he is world class and better than Maguire and thanks to him we are in the lead of the PL etc.

it wasn’t madness at all. If a player can’t get on the pitch, then what’s the point?

glad he’s playing well, but let’s get some perspective it’s 5-6 games. I don’t want it to happen just to make a point (unlike a lot of people on here) but it wouldn’t surprise me if he got injured - and then your laughing emoji wouldn’t be so funny.

having one stable and always fit centre back in Maguire allows us to perhaps have someone like Bailly, and hope he can keep fit.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Hell of a player when fit and just the sort you need against shithouses like Burnley. Loved him tossing Ashley Barnes to the ground before that corner. "Have it cnut!"

Adam-Utd

it wasn’t madness at all. If a player can’t get on the pitch, then what’s the point?

glad he’s playing well, but let’s get some perspective it’s 5-6 games. I don’t want it to happen just to make a point (unlike a lot of people on here) but it wouldn’t surprise me if he got injured - and then your laughing emoji wouldn’t be so funny.

having one stable and always fit centre back in Maguire allows us to perhaps have someone like Bailly, and hope he can keep fit.
He's done his cruciate ligament and had a bad ankle injury like Pogba had.

It's not like he's in and out of the team and giving up like Di Maria. He's had some awful luck with injuries, but people make out like he's made of glass which genuinely isn't true.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eric-bailly/verletzungen/spieler/286384

He is hopefully over the worst of it now and looks no less injury or error prone than any other we have.

Red & White

Stunned that not a single person used complement correctly.

Sorry for being a pedant but that was stunning. Not a single correct use of complement.
Thanks for the response and sorry to disappoint! I am fully aware of the difference between the two and the predictive text appears to have had me on this one, as I’m sure it has others, too! We will do better next time and thanks again.

He's done his cruciate ligament and had a bad ankle injury like Pogba had.

It's not like he's in and out of the team and giving up like Di Maria. He's had some awful luck with injuries, but people make out like he's made of glass which genuinely isn't true.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eric-bailly/verletzungen/spieler/286384

He is hopefully over the worst of it now and looks no less injury or error prone than any other we have.
im not arguing that, but it’s far from laughable that many people wanted him gone. In fact it was pretty logical.

Adam-Utd

im not arguing that, but it’s far from laughable that many people wanted him gone. In fact it was pretty logical.
Most people said that while he was waiting patiently on the bench, the fact is it just took an injury for Lindelof to throw Bailly in - he's now earning his trust.

Even if he was only fit for half a season, he's so good when in form that you'd be mad not to keep him around. Compare that to somebody like Jones who is genuinely a calamity every game, it's very different.

Most people said that while he was waiting patiently on the bench, the fact is it just took an injury for Lindelof to throw Bailly in - he's now earning his trust.

Even if he was only fit for half a season, he's so good when in form that you'd be mad not to keep him around. Compare that to somebody like Jones who is genuinely a calamity every game, it's very different.
they are different cases.

but a player being fit for half a season is no good in the long term. If he’s over his fitness issues then great, but if not then he’s not a United player.

We need partnerships at that back, reliability and consistency.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Everyone is talking about how Bailly makes Maguire look better. That says it all. No one thinks Maguire makes Bailly look better.
Make his partner better, doesn't always mean he's better than his partner. Carrick made Scholes played better. Vidic made Rio played better. He could be just a catalyst, or the right support.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don’t know why people keep saying this as if our other CB’s are fault free or something.

Fact of the matter is we have looked better with Bailly in the team. “Just waiting on that stupid pen/red card” is a weird take if the trade of is a better defensive unit 90% of the time. Posting that “just waiting” nonsense all the time so if it does eventually happen to then be able to act like Nostradamus seems like an even bigger scam than a pyramid scheme.
Yeh. It's like saying, Maguire is a good defender, just wait for him to feck up by striker with pace. No CB is perfect or unbeatable.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd still take a fit Bailly over him.
Having watched both play in literally every game for United and Leipzig, I have to disagree. Konate beats him in many categories and loses in none. Konate is also 5 years younger..

A-man

Having watched both play in literally every game for United and Leipzig, I have to disagree. Konate beats him in many categories and loses in none. Konate is also 5 years younger..
They both have quite an injury record unfortunately. Could be that it improves but imo United can’t afford to take a chance in that aspect. We’ve had our fair share of injured CBs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
They both have quite an injury record unfortunately. Could be that it improves but imo United can’t afford to take a chance in that aspect. We’ve had our fair share of injured CBs.
Konate is back for Leipzig after getting a knock on his ankle in training which kept him out for a few games. But his latest injury was unrelated to his previous one which kept him out for a long time. It'll be interesting to see if he can steer clear of injuries for the remainder of the season. But if he does, then for me he's the best CB at RBL and someone we should target.

A-man

Konate is back for Leipzig after getting a knock on his ankle in training which kept him out for a few games. But his latest injury was unrelated to his previous one which kept him out for a long time. It'll be interesting to see if he can steer clear of injuries for the remainder of the season. But if he does, then for me he's the best CB at RBL and someone we should target.
Ok, I don’t have the details. But I watch Leipzig every now and then since Forsberg moved there and it has struck me that Konaté has not played much the last 2 years.

What I have seen from him in both the league and CL is however very impressive. If he can stay injury free he could be a top-5 CB in the world for many years. But I just don’t think it is worth the risk considering we have Bailly, Tuanzebe, Jones, Rojo who all have spent more time injured than fit. And who knows how it will go with Lindelof’s back. This is just an opinion, I’m not a doctor :)

Status
Not open for further replies.