Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Bailly is a nightmare. He can range from world class one week to woeful the next. He’s wildly inconsistent and I think that’s why Jose and Ole have preferred Lindelof to him.

A-man

His stats for today is just remarkable. Any other CB produces those numbers fans would be singing their praises.

Analysis wasn't fair on his overall game.

90 - Touches
94.7% Pass accuracy
3 Out of 4 long balls completed
4 Out of 6 ground duels won
2 Out of 3 aerial duels won (So much for rubbish in the air)
3 Tackles
2 Interceptions
3 Clearances
1 Block
Dribbled past 1

Sounds like a good performance to me.
I think you should try to watch the game as well. You can’t rate someone based on his Whoscored stats alone. In the end, right or wrong, a CB is more rated for his mistakes and poor actions, than his accomplishments. We do the opposite for forwards.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His stats for today is just remarkable. Any other CB produces those numbers fans would be singing their praises.

90 - Touches
94.7% Pass accuracy
3 Tackles
2 Interceptions
3 Clearances
1 Block
Dribbled past 1

I do think some people in here are being harsh on him, but this was probably a classic Bailly match. Generally good but with a couple of shaky moments that could easily have ended up costing us.

Red00012

90 - Touches
94.7% Pass accuracy
3 Tackles
2 Interceptions
3 Clearances
1 Block
Dribbled past 1

Then you watch a replay of their goal

criticalanalysis

90 - Touches
94.7% Pass accuracy
3 Tackles
2 Interceptions
3 Clearances
1 Block
Dribbled past 1

This is what I usually expect to see in the Lindelof thread ;)

It wasn't a horrendous game from Bailly but it was a mixed bag and he deserves criticism for the goal conceded.

Match rythym/concentration may be an issue for him. Let's hope he can kick on because at least he's playing!

Red00012

I think you should try to watch the game as well. You can’t rate someone based on his Whoscored stats alone. In the end, right or wrong, a CB is more rated for his mistakes and poor actions, than his accomplishments. We do the opposite for forwards.
You can literally have great stats for anyone on a field if you really want but it’s only when you watch a match you can truly judge the performance

Teja

I think Ole's struck some sort of balance here. When we expect to deal with direct balls / press up high he prefers bailly for the pace and aggression. In bigger games when the CB defends against quick attackers in the box he prefers Lindelof for his calmness.

I think that's fair but also an indication that he doesn't totally trust either Lindelof / Bailly. Lindelof is terrible aerially and with Bailly you're just never quite sure. Almost played a terrible backpass towards the end of the game while otherwise being excellent even today.

rooney2009

He was ok today
He has all the attributes to be our best defender but makes at least 1 bad mistake every game so not doing enough to even displace Lindelof from the team

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I thought he's really good, on defending and attacking. The goal was AWB fault, where he kept their striker 2 yard onside from everybody else. I'm not sure what people were watching.
Bailly and Maguire were definitely at fault. Did you not see Rio's analysis at half time? Maguire moved to cover Shaw despite not needing to, Bailly saw the whole thing unfolding and did nothing to track the player. In fact he held his arms out for some unknown reason. Awb also fecked up by playing him on. The whole thing was a shambles.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Bailly and Maguire were definitely at fault. Did you not see Rio's analysis at half time? Maguire moved to cover Shaw despite not needing to, Bailly saw the whole thing unfolding and did nothing to track the player. In fact he held his arms out for some unknown reason. Awb also fecked up by playing him on. The whole thing was a shambles.
Bailly was confident that he was the last man and kept Lookman offside. Until he found the truth that ...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Bailly was confident that he kept Lookman offside. Until he found the truth that ...

If you go back a few frames there will be loads of space that Bailly has left after Maguire moved away, which is what Rio was pointing to. Excluding awb being a dope, it's Maguire's initial fault for inexplicably moving over, but a CB at our level should surely be reading this and reacting?

A-man

Bailly was confident that he was the last man and kept Lookman offside. Until he found the truth that ...

There was a replay on tv that showed that likely also Bailly played him onside.

A-man

If you go back a few frames there will be loads of space that Bailly has left after Maguire moved away, which is what Rio was pointing to. Excluding awb being a dope, it's Maguire's initial fault for inexplicably moving over, but a CB at our level should surely be reading this and reacting?
Maguire always leaves his position. His partner must be ready for that.

stevoc

90 - Touches
94.7% Pass accuracy
3 Tackles
2 Interceptions
3 Clearances
1 Block
Dribbled past 1

Stats without context are largely meaningless. Thats why football clubs still employ scouts to actually go and watch players and don't just look on statistic sites for prospective new players.

Eric was shaky tonight, at fault for their goal (not the only one) and generally sloppy. Lets hope it's just a blip on his recent good run and not a return to his previous form of most of the last 4 years.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I genuinely think that Bailly thought he kept Lookman offside. He uncharacteristically didn't put much effort on chasing the player, and looked confused when the goal stood out.

Ole just needs to drill it to all our defence to play it to the whistle.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I genuinely think that Bailly thought he kept Lookman offside. He uncharacteristically didn't put much effort on chasing the player, and looked confused when the goal stood out.

Yeah he probably did. I just don't like how much space he left him

A-man

Assumption is the mother of all feckups.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I thought he was fine.

He covered for AWB all game. Near own goal was just unfortunate.

Dodgy backpass was bad but I don't blame him for the first goal.

His passing and pressing up was excellent.

Chief123

Bailly drives me nuts. Absolutely love him as a player but he really needs to stay focused in every game. We got away with it today because we won and he played well overall but what on Earth was he doing for their goal? He literally saw the guy free right in front of him and didn’t go to him or follow him in. He did something similar against spurs when they took the quick free kick.

We can’t afford for him to have moments where he switches off because it’ll end up costing us in games. He really does have everything to be too class but focus and concentration is the most important part he needs to improve.

Morpheus 7

Him and AWB were at fault with the line for first goal. The offensive output is what makes Bailly key. He drives the team up the pitch, Lindelof and Maguire play too deep. If the league goes to the wire it will because he somehow stays fit.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Assumption is the mother of all feckups.
Not really. That's why team has pattern of play to drill, so players can be expected to do certain moves in flow.

I assume that FB on far side wouldn't be the last man when keeping an offside trap, for example.

MasterCode

Stats without context are largely meaningless. Thats why football clubs still employ scouts to actually go and watch players and don't just look on statistic sites for prospective new players.

Eric was shaky tonight, at fault for their goal (not the only one) and generally sloppy. Lets hope it's just a blip on his recent good run and not a return to his previous form of most of the last 4 years.
I watched the game and we must've been watching two totally different games. There was a catalogue of errors that led up to the first goal if we are being honest. Like you said multiple people were at fault.

But he played very well aside from that, and the stats back what I observed tbh. I don't even know what you mean by sloppy. To each their own but like I said if VVD had stats like that everybody would cream.

Grande

I thought he was fine.

He covered for AWB all game. Near own goal was just unfortunate.

Dodgy backpass was bad but I don't blame him for the first goal.

His passing and pressing up was excellent.
No, he has been class previous four games, but made a lot of mistakes today. His behaviour before their goal is comedy stuff for a CB. He lost the ball dribling out of defence in midfield once, he made a bad cock up pass playing out from defemce another time, his cooperation with both AWB and with Maguire was shabby several times like you never see with Lindelöf. Seemed like he was confused about his role and how to play from the start, and even towards the end of the first half McKenna was standing trying to explain to him how to position himself, which is not great for a 27 year old CB who has played four games on the trot recently in the same formation with mostly the same players.

It’s like we saw at Spurs and what we see from time to time with Eric - his brain suddenly goes AWOL at times.

Foxbatt

Ole categorically said we don't do offsides and that player should have been marked. In fact before he made the move he shows the Fulham player to Bailly. I also thought we were playing for offside.
Bailly is brilliant and a disaster in the same game. Their goal was because he went to sleep.

r0x0rwolfo

Ole categorically said we don't do offsides and that player should have been marked. In fact before he made the move he shows the Fulham player to Bailly. I also thought we were playing for offside.
Bailly is brilliant and a disaster in the same game. Their goal was because he went to sleep.
All of this heaping the blame on Bailey is unfair.

He's playing on the right and only ends up anywhere near because he's pulled out of position by Maguire going to left back. It really should have been Maguire making the challenge.

Pogba is the closest to the man, but decides both not to sprint back but also to let everyone else know it's definitely offside and not to bother sprinting back either.

AWB is a bit off the line and plays him onside. Giving the attacker a headstart (whether offsides are played for or not).

Bailey is maybe 3rd or 4th most culpable and very far away from being the only liability in that defensive gaffe.

nainaisson

Bailly is a nightmare. He can range from world class one week to woeful the next. He’s wildly inconsistent and I think that’s why Jose and Ole have preferred Lindelof to him.
Yeah, Lindelof is often embarrassingly crap in the air, but I still prefer him over Bailly, who plays like he's suffering from either multiple personality disorder or bipolar disorder. We're desperately in need of a new centre-back in the summer.

Foxbatt

He's playing on the right and only ends up anywhere near because he's pulled out of position by Maguire going to left back. It really should have been Maguire making the challenge.

Pogba is the closest to the man, but decides both not to sprint back but also to let everyone else know it's definitely offside and not to bother sprinting back either.

AWB is a bit off the line and plays him onside. Giving the attacker a headstart (whether offsides are played for or not).

Bailey is maybe 3rd or 4th most culpable and very far away from being the only liability in that defensive gaffe.
There was no way for Pogba to get to his man. Bailly was already goal side of him and then suddenly when he was pointed to him decided to play him offside. Ole said we do not do offside. So it is entirely on Bailly.

Icemav

No, he has been class previous four games, but made a lot of mistakes today. His behaviour before their goal is comedy stuff for a CB. He lost the ball dribling out of defence in midfield once, he made a bad cock up pass playing out from defemce another time, his cooperation with both AWB and with Maguire was shabby several times like you never see with Lindelöf. Seemed like he was confused about his role and how to play from the start, and even towards the end of the first half McKenna was standing trying to explain to him how to position himself, which is not great for a 27 year old CB who has played four games on the trot recently in the same formation with mostly the same players.

It’s like we saw at Spurs and what we see from time to time with Eric - his brain suddenly goes AWOL at times.
Lindelöf is better, but Bailly is pretty good as well. People always underrate our defenders.
Since the end of last season Bailly has displayed fantastic passing that cuts lines incisively something done much better than Maguire and Lindelof. He is also a very good physical defender. I would not say Lindelof is 'better'. More consistent perhaps but Bailly has proven to be a game winner recently.

For their goal, rewatched it a few times and 100% it was the responsibily of Bailly to track the goal scorer, Pogba though had him covered to an extent but let him go so also played the situation badly. But essentially neither were hungry to track him. Not good defending. Especially from Bailly.

Olecurls99

Maguire's s movement is perfectly explicable. He moved over to mark that man he's standing close to because Shaw might have to move over to the player on the wing.

Bailly on the other hand should see Lookman coming from a mile off especially because Pogba twice signals that he's passing him onto Bailly.

He's in there for his pace and instead of tracking the man he tried to be clever and cost us a goal. Shocking defending to be honest. I do not for the life of me see why defenders try the offside trap when they have enough pace to deal with the threat themselves.

Last edited:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Thinks that’s a key question would you rather have a consistent defender or an inconsistent but potentially higher ceiling player?

Bailly has the physical advantage over Lindelof but Lindelof has the consistency and I don’t worry about him doing something unpredictable or not textbook most of the time.

I do with Eric and so despite seeing there is obvious talent moments like tonight do cause the alarm bells to ring.

Sylar

He owes me (and the rest of the team) a new pair of underwear.
For that backpass which was almost short?

Id go along with this. Also Bailly not bailey :P

But I dont get how a full back looking along the line cannot keep the line and why he has to drop. AWB has the pace so its not an issue, and the ball isnt on his side at all. And on top of that, if hes that deep he he needs to bust a gut not do his usual jog back.

Bailly was fine especially stepping out to intercept passes and help us back on the front foot to maintain attacks.

Grande

Since the end of last season Bailly has displayed fantastic passing that cuts lines incisively something done much better than Maguire and Lindelof. He is also a very good physical defender. I would not say Lindelof is 'better'. More consistent perhaps but Bailly has proven to be a game winner recently.

For their goal, rewatched it a few times and 100% it was the responsibily of Bailly to track the goal scorer, Pogba though had him covered to an extent but let him go so also played the situation badly. But essentially neither were hungry to track him. Not good defending. Especially from Bailly.
I like Bailly’s passing, bar the usual odd unforced misplaced ones. Matchwinning I don’t know, but he does play more between the lines, and is much more proactive in winning the ball on the ground.

Problem is (hope he can grow out of this with a hypothetical consistent run) that when he is off, he is terribly off. The goal is a good example I think, because it is not one mistake, but several roled into one: 1) When Maguire pulls slowly towards the left, Bailly needs to close that gap between them immediately. It’s basic CB cooperation, and can only be wrong. 2) Maguire moves out towards a player.Bailly is then responsible for the offside line by either following Maguire out AND getting other defenders out (AWB) out simultaneously, OR dropping in deeper behind Maguire to abandon the offside line and cover instead. It’s basic offside line stuff for a CB. 3) A player approaches the gap ahead of him. Regardless of who’s marking him, he needs to close down on that situation. He remains walking. 4) Pogba signals, in plain sight, for him to mark the player, which is only logical as Pogba is on the wrong side of him and Bailly is goalside, free and the next in line. Bailly, sees this and SHRUGS his arms(!). Not only is it again a wrong reading of the situation - when he is last defender and doing that, it’s akin to a keeper stepping aside at a penalty kick. It’s an absurd abdication of responsibility. It’s eight-year-old kid’s stuff. 5) He still doesn’t close the gap! 6) Then, last ditch, instead of full sprint towards the attacker (too late, but might still disturb him or win a rebound), he jumps out as if to set him offside. Regardless of wether he wasbefore or in line (looked as if he was marginally beyond Bailly) it is something you only do if you KNOW you are two metres behind the rest of your defence, because you’ve checked, and normally, because you have already dropped down with that in mind. Bailly doesn’t check, he isn’t alone back there, he doesn’t signal to his back to step out beforehand, and his attempt at a one man offside line only results in Lookman getting a twenty yard advance.

If he only makes two of these bad judgements, it is probably one of those dangerous situations that more often than not get’s snuffed out. Six wrongs rolled into one assures Lookman has the time to set his alarm clock AND use the snooze button before he finishes it off. What’s more, it makes it impossible for all of Maguire, Pogba and AWB to trust him after that, which is even more important. An unpredictable CB is a nightmare to play with, as anyone who’s tried can tell you if you haven’t.

Now, it may not sound as such, but I love Eric and have loads of time for him. But those kind of gliches is something he does quite regularily, and it’s more detrimental to the security of a defence than anything, because it makes the whole defence shaky for the rest of the game as a result. Lindelöf is the opposite of that (barring his horrorshow bedding in period) - he is very predictable to the others, he constantly covers for them positionally and makes the whole defence tick more as a clock, which is even mor important than winning duels.

Andersonson

90 - Touches
94.7% Pass accuracy
3 Tackles
2 Interceptions
3 Clearances
1 Block
Dribbled past 1

Thats an understanding of someone who base their opinion just on stats. He wasnt terrible, but he wasnt good either.

The worst about him is his positoning, and there's always a feck up in the air with him

But he is entertaining. He has an XG of 1.5 in giving me a heartattack

Status
Not open for further replies.