Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GueRed

Was safe in that deep defensive line 'low block' and with three hardworking midfielders in front of him.

Red_toad

It's hard to judge a defenders performance in such a defensive set-up as today.
Plus they were tasked with marking a striker who was afraid of getting into the box. Lukaku would have given them a far sterner test.

stevoc

Plus they were tasked with marking a striker who was afraid of getting into the box. Lukaku would have given them a far sterner test.
Indeed but as is ever the case with Baily some are getting carried away with one decent performance.

But truth is Bailly is going on 28 now and yet is the same raw player we signed in 2016. If the new manager/s could keep him consistently fit and if they can somehow iron out the recklessness/kung fu acrobatics in his game he'd definitely be a useful player to have around the squad. But that's probably the best we can hope for with Eric.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thought Werner gave lot of problems and we handled Lukaku much better. He wasn't a threat, whereas Werner was always on the move and got into good positions.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Indeed but as is ever the case with Baily some are getting carried away with one decent performance.

But truth is Bailly is going on 28 now and yet is the same raw player we signed in 2016. If the new manager/s could keep him consistently fit and if they can somehow iron out the recklessness/kung fu acrobatics in his game he'd definitely be a useful player to have around the squad. But that's probably the best we can hope for with Eric.
I think you have a few players in that category of not really progressing. AWB, mctominay, Rashford don’t seem obviously better. The thing is, although some on here will blame the manager, it’s probably true of a ton of other teams. I really think that the expected improvements in players between early and mid twenties is hugely over expected by the majority of fans.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
fanfiction
I mean sure. Just as much as Bailly being this super player for United.

Its not like he hasn't had the chance to - plenty of games and plenty of mistakes.

Own goal in a 3 man defence.

I even saw him get excited before running around CM at one point yesterday and was lucky that the CDM'S were covering him.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Bailly would be destroyed without 3 CDM yesterday.
Against Chelsea you need to close down their FB and thats why we had Matic and Scott playing.
If we had not done that, Maguire also would have been destroyed.

stevoc

I think you have a few players in that category of not really progressing. AWB, mctominay, Rashford don’t seem obviously better. The thing is, although some on here will blame the manager, it’s probably true of a ton of other teams. I really think that the expected improvements in players between early and mid twenties is hugely over expected by the majority of fans.
I agree to an extent AWB is still young so there's hope there he could still develop, but yeah at the minute he's still very raw . While anything's possible with McTominay I think what you see right now is what you get, in his natural position he would be better no doubt but still nothing special a squad option at best. On Rashford I can't say I agree his goals/assists output the last few years have been brilliant despite playing with pretty serious shoulder and back injuries. I think he's growing into a cracking player personally.

Bebestation

Any CB should have proper protection
Yes 3 is a bit much to highlight Bailly's good performance.

We normally play with McFred (2) or Matic by himself and a more creative player (1).

3 CDM'S and the whole team behind the half way line except when we sometimes press and everyone is loving Bailly's performance.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I agree to an extent AWB is still young so there's hope there he could still develop, but yeah at the minute he's still very raw . While anything's possible with McTominay I think what you see right now is what you get, in his natural position he would be better no doubt but still nothing special a squad option at best. On Rashford I can't say I agree his goals/assists output the last few years have been brilliant despite playing with pretty serious shoulder and back injuries. I think he's growing into a cracking player personally.
It’s a difficult one with Rashford, and though I fall on the side of him not ever being a key player for a club like Utd, I say that with no real certainty. He is still young as you say, and he clearly contributes; it’s about whether he makes that next step up. Time will tell.

stevoc

It’s a difficult one with Rashford, and though I fall on the side of him not ever being a key player for a club like Utd, I say that with no real certainty. He is still young as you say, and he clearly contributes; it’s about whether he makes that next step up. Time will tell.
Yeah that's fair he's been very productive and we've missed him when he was out but yes he's maybe not quite there yet in terms of being a top, top player.

RUCK4444

He puts in performances and then reverts to type the moment he’s afforded any praise.

It’s like any positive performance/feedback is immediately met with a brain fart or three in the next game.

Incredibly frustrating player. It’s annoying as he’s likeable as well.

Lee565

It's crazy to think but if they weren't so injury ridden both bailly and jones would be a better first choice pairing than lindelof and Maguire.

A-man

Imagine the scenes. High line, good pacey, aggressive defenders. If anyone will do it it will be Rangnick.
Can’t imagine a worse defender in a high line. Well maybe Maguire.

Teja

What is this revisionism about 3 CDMs and low block? We pressed pretty high against Chelsea, forced a bunch of long passes and turnovers from them. I think both Lindelof and Bailly were fantastic yesterday.

I don’t agree. He’s not capable of a level that is way better than Maguire, Lindelof or Varane. I’ve seen all three of them playing at higher level than I’ve ever seen Bailly.
Varane is a cut above everybody but Bailly has better strength and pace than either of them and is as good on the ball as Lindelof. He doesn't read the game as well as Lindelof but he does match Maguire there. If he could cut out the mental moments he would absolutely be worth a shout as first choice.

crossy1686

career ending
Bailly's a fecking lunatic, I'm not sure what some of you have been watching. If he's not doing overhead kicks and Cruyff turns in his own box, he's putting his head in places you wouldn't put your feet, and then getting injured. It's like having Barthez back in goal all over again, you can't cover for him because he doesn't even know what he's going to do until after he's done it.

Defender's aren't supposed to have you on the edge of your seat, for all the wrong reasons.

A-man

Varane is a cut above everybody but Bailly has better strength and pace than either of them and is as good on the ball as Lindelof. He doesn't read the game as well as Lindelof but he does match Maguire there. If he could cut out the mental moments he would absolutely be worth a shout as first choice.
If we summarise all Baillys matches, I would say he is well below the other three that have been picked instead of him. To play a high line you need CBs with good positioning, reading of the game and who don’t act randomly. The CB must know what the other one is going to do, and trust the other for covering. Imo Bailly is easily overplayed and is poor at closing down the space behind himself. He was disciplined and well positioned most of the time in second half against Chelsea but one good half is not enough for me to want him as a starter. Plus it was the opposite of a high line.

Bebestation

Surely this is the same reason people say that players in all these other teams are fantastic - because they hardly watched them regularly? Right?

Maybe that's why people rate Bailly alot - because they hardly get to see him anymore. Maybe the same with Van De Beek..

Foxbatt

I do not know as he did not have the best of coaching available. I mean Jose is Jose and Ole is not among the decent coaches so Ralf may bring out a different Bailly. He certainly has pace and with Varane may turn out to be a good pairing.

GueRed

He's injury prone as well. How long has he been at the club?

Useless

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Unfortunate not to play tonight in my opinion. I think Maguire being captain really hinders a lot of the cb getting opportunities.

Would love to see Bailly get a run of games

stevoc

Unfortunate not to play tonight in my opinion. I think Maguire being captain really hinders a lot of the cb getting opportunities.

Would love to see Bailly get a run of games
Would only hasten his next injury, with Varane still out it's best to use Bailly sparingly in case Maguire or Lindelof get injured and he's needed.

United in sin

He was our best player on the night. Matic left him for dead so many times. He made the most blocks and interceptions at the back

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Bailed put matic several times. My man of the match despite some sloppy passes early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.