Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Proactive and high line defending with Matic beside him and only VDB and Mata in front of him? Who was going to cover? That's an absolutely ridiculous criticism :confused:

If anything he was the opposite of the usual Bailly we'd expect and has shown a lot of maturity (for him at least) recently to sit back and read the play more. The fact that he blocked that many passes, crosses and chances showed he is as proactive as the zonal type of defending he's probably learnt from Lindelof.

His passing and dribbling even if he did mess up a few times was more than progressive as it was pretty much always forward and into player's feet. Apart from VDB, who was essentially the only defensive central player and a 33 year old Mata, we had 3 roaming x no.10s. What a strange expectation to expect Bailly to do more. It was a whole new 11.

This would have been heralded as an imperious defensive display and holding of the forte, if he was Swedish.
As I wrote, it was good defending in the box, but nothing more. Maybe that’s because of Mata, but it was still the case. It’s the second game where Bailly is good when playing a low defence. He is often good at that, so useful when we have that type of matches.
And I never said I expected more.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
It's typical Bailly in that he looks great when there's loads to do. Covering other people's mess ups, of which there were a lot, last ditch tackles galore, charging around showing his pace.

The problem is when you throw him into the first team and he starts finding ways to make things interesting.

Still, it was good tonight.
In a nutshell, this.

He's always going to be the best player on the pitch when we field a crap team with loads of defensive work to be done, but in a first XI when we need him to be controlled and disciplined and just not make a mess of things, he just can't do that. It's probably too boring for him.

stevoc

He would be our best CB if he can stay fit. Brilliant game today.
I think he’s our best center back. He’s the most proactive one at least. The only issue with him is the constant injuries.

Would love to see him paired with Varane once. Overall I’m happy with the options we’ve got. Me hi looked decent tonight as well.
Better than Varane?

mancan92

He looked decent today but ALWAYS looks like he has a stupid mistake in him (ie getting caught out trying to dribble out and eventually bailed out by hendo coming off his line to clear). I think he's decent cover but he's too unpredictable and injury prone to be a regular starter. Great physical attributes and a good defender but too prone to moments of madness.
Sure every player gives the ball away we've seen all our other cbs do it. But today he was literally covering for 3 other players literally cleaning up their mistakes. Whilst also playing the ball forward everytime which is something Ralf would of loved.

BarstoolProphet

He is the perfect player for a dead rubber game, he is hilarious to watch and makes the game interesting. In a tense and nerve-wrecking match, not so much. He got qualities to be CB at a top club, shame he is so unreliable fitness-wise and on the pitch at times. The best last-ditch player we have. Extra points for his breakdancing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Saved our asses twice in this match, but of course people will only talk about negatives. He's always unfairly criticised.

IhabX7

Saved our asses twice in this match, but of course people will only talk about negatives. He's always unfairly criticised.
He was Baresi incarnate away to Villareal I think it was and people still talked about a mistake or two. This is football, and sometimes it bounces awkwardly.

Edit: Well not Baresi, but top class still.

Lyng

Maguire passes with good pace, Lindelof often plays balls on players heels and underhits very often, Bailly on the other hand tends to give the ball away in dangerous positions with too ambitious passes when he should keep it simple, for me he shoul dbe easily ahead of Lindelof our First SUb for undoubted starting quality of Maguire and Varane, but the lad can't stay fit. Also noone can judge a palyer form a game like this. He didn't disappoint himself today, which is positive but YBB were just horrible..
Maguire is a terrible passer when under pressure. He is allways good for one or two hospital passes akin to Matic one yesterday that lead to their goal.
Bailly should indeed be our first choice sub, but for LIndelöf not Maguire.

romufc

Maguire is a terrible passer when under pressure. He is allways good for one or two hospital passes akin to Matic one yesterday that lead to their goal.
Bailly should indeed be our first choice sub, but for LIndelöf not Maguire.
Quite hypocritical IMO this.

Maguire plays hospital balls that lead to goal / chances but Bailly running out with the ball being dispossessed is something we should applaud?

He done that twice and lost it and they were in behind. With a better team we get punished.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was Baresi incarnate away to Villareal I think it was and people still talked about a mistake or two. This is football, and sometimes it bounces awkwardly.

Edit: Well not Baresi, but top class still.
Atalanta but yes I agree. People make their minds up on players very quickly on here, it's more about agenda's than actually supporting.

TsuWave

Every time he plays well, people come to this thread with a bunch of qualifiers, i.e; “yeah he played well, which means he’ll get injured for 3 years next game” or “he played well, but didn’t make any defence splitting passes and create 1v1’s for Greenwood. not good enough.”

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Every time he plays well, people come to this thread with a bunch of qualifiers, i.e; “yeah he played well, which means he’ll get injured for 3 years next game” or “he played well, but didn’t make any defence splitting passes and create 1v1’s for Greenwood. not good enough.”
I always assume those same people subconsciously buy into the media narrative in England where McTominay and Maguire are Gods.

Bailly is just really good, albeit injury prone. The frequency of his clangers is not greater than those of Maguire and Lindelof. They just have different types of stinkers, is all.

Godfather

His sliding tackle was a thing of a beauty. Followed up by a little breakdance sequence. Love the madman

TheRedHearted

Bailly things.

yep. I love this guy. His speed is amazing and he's a joy to watch. It's a shame we didn't get the real Mourinho when we hired him because something tells me this guy would be worth so much on the pitch. I still wonder if Ralf and our new manager can make him that.

stevoc

I always assume those same people subconsciously buy into the media narrative in England where McTominay and Maguire are Gods.

Bailly is just really good, albeit injury prone. The frequency of his clangers is not greater than those of Maguire and Lindelof. They just have different types of stinkers, is all.
Is this a narrative that you yourself have made up?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Is this a narrative that you yourself have made up?
The British players don't get nearly as much criticism as the foreign players.

McTominay is half the footballer Fred is, yet Keano chooses to criticize Fred and is silent on McTominay. Paul Scholes criticizes our midfield, then when he's asked who he would play, he says McTominay.

Have you seen the clip from the ex womans footballer where she's being pressed to call Maguire out and she outright avoids talking about his stinkers for 15 minutes? Every stinker by Fred, Bailly, Lindelof gets highlighted, yet Maguire and Shaw can have 20 in the span of 3 games and not receive the same level of criticism.

Bailly erratic and Fred shit (more or less) according to Keane, Maguire and McTominay do a lot worse? Nothing happened says the ex lady footballer. "I'd start him again!" says Scholes.

Abroad, Fred is a highly respected midfielder and no one rates McTominay. Maguire is a meme, people know AWB is crap and say it.
English pundrity would give you the impression they're Rio Carrick Neville.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed that he's the 2nd best CB we have (imho), if he can stay fit for extended period. But so far, he can't. So it's hard to rank him.

Blood Mage

He's a really good player who just can't stay fit and that's why he'll never be a first choice CB here. Him and Varane would suit what Rangnick is trying to do better than Lindelof and Maguire though.

Jericho

Going to turn 28 this season but he’s still so raw. It almost feels as if he’s a youth player still trying to establish himself. If not for the injuries, and maybe with a top class CB next to him, I think he could have ironed out the mistakes and had(has?) the ability to be a great CB.

RUCK4444

Bailly’s law dictates that his next appearance with be a complete chaotic performance from him.

Always the way.

stevoc

McTominay is half the footballer Fred is, yet Keano chooses to criticize Fred and is silent on McTominay. Paul Scholes criticizes our midfield, then when he's asked who he would play, he says McTominay.

Have you seen the clip from the ex womans footballer where she's being pressed to call Maguire out and she outright avoids talking about his stinkers for 15 minutes? Every stinker by Fred, Bailly, Lindelof gets highlighted, yet Maguire and Shaw can have 20 in the span of 3 games and not receive the same level of criticism.

Bailly erratic and Fred shit (more or less) according to Keane, Maguire and McTominay do a lot worse? Nothing happened says the ex lady footballer. "I'd start him again!" says Scholes.

Abroad, Fred is a highly respected midfielder and no one rates McTominay. Maguire is a meme, people know AWB is crap and say it.
Nobody in England thinks Mctominay is a god mate that's clearly silly. Is there some bias towards British based players sure, but also remember Keane isn't British himself. But the likes of Wan Bissaka, Shaw, McTominay and Maguire get criticized too. They probably just don't get criticized as much as you'd like.

Also it's hard to complain about people over/underrating players and then claiming that Fred is twice the player McTominay is, yeah he's a better player but not twice the player that's exaggeration. Also bear in mind people expect more from Fred because he's a Brazilian international and was a big signing bought for a huge fee. McTominay is neither of those things.

On topic Bailly is erratic and reckless, that is in no way an unfair criticism.

United in sin

Agree with everything except AWB doesn't get preferential treatment in the media like his fellow British colleagues do

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Nobody in England thinks Mctominay is a god mate that's clearly silly. Is there some bias towards British based players sure, but also remember Keane isn't British himself. But the likes of Wan Bissaka, Shaw, McTominay and Maguire get criticized too. They probably just don't get criticized as much as you'd like.

Also it's hard to complain about people over/underrating players and then claiming that Fred is twice the player McTominay is, yeah he's a better player but not twice the player that's exaggeration. Also bear in mind people expect more from Fred because he's a Brazilian international and was a big signing bought for a huge fee. McTominay is neither of those things.

On topic Bailly is erratic and reckless, that is in no way an unfair criticism.
Fair points, but I was responding to you implying the bias I see is imaginary, unless you misinterpreted the hyperbole, in which case we're talking past each other. I don't really care to debate the degree to which the bias exists.

Anyway, I think the bias does influence our opinions and I was specifically referring to people that Bailly specifically is an accident waiting to happen, when the frequency of his clangers isn't greater than the one's Lindelof makes because of his passivity or Maguire makes from shitting himself when pressed. Bailly's underrated on here, based on the fact a lot of people want him sold instead of the moneybag we could perhaps flog to Newcastle for twice as much. Quite a few wanted Phil Jones to start ahead of Bailly recently.

stevoc

Fair points, but I was responding to you implying the bias I see is imaginary, unless you misinterpreted the hyperbole, in which case we're talking past each other. I don't really care to debate the degree to which the bias exists.
Yeah probably mate but to be fair you see so much ridiculous stuff posted on here it can be hard to tell sometimes.

Anyway, I think the bias does influence our opinions and I was specifically referring to people that Bailly specifically is an accident waiting to happen, when the frequency of his clangers isn't greater than the one's Lindelof makes because of his passivity or Maguire makes from shitting himself when pressed. Bailly's underrated on here, based on the fact a lot of people want him sold instead of the moneybag we could perhaps flog to Newcastle for twice as much. Quite a few wanted Phil Jones to start ahead of Bailly recently.
Personally I rarely watch pre/post match 'analysis' these days because it's usually just blokes spouting uninformed opinions. Which is fair enough if people enjoy it but it's not for me most of the time.

On Bailly he has a few things going against him that results in a lot of people not warming to him in my opinion. He's majorly injury prone, he's very inconsistent and he's well a nutcase. Yeah maybe he doesn't commit that many more mistakes than other defenders but the way he plays he makes you think he's on the verge of having a brainfart at any given moment. It's very entertaining in a game like last night but problem is he plays like that almost every game.

lex talionis

Bailly was never this chaotic in his first season with United. He gets away with it from time to time, but you never know where he'll put his limbs when he's under pressure. That wild clearance against Young Boys could have very easily resulted in another own goal, the second in 2 or 3 starts this season.

Bobski

Random Eric.

The difference between his top and lowest level is staggering.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Never feel comfortable when Bailly enters a game in progress.

He got very lucky with that block, not the best body shot.
I don't think it was lucky. By bringing the left side of his body over to make the block he's going to increase the likelihood that the ball goes out for a throw or goal kick. Using the right leg would have been a passive impact less likely to disrupt the path of the ball.

This way, even if the block isn't perfect he's introducing a counter force that will push the ball away from the intended target.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think it was lucky. By bringing the left side of his body over to make the block he's going to increase the likelihood that the ball goes out for a throw or goal kick. Using the right leg would have been a passive impact less likely to disrupt the path of the ball.

This way, even if the block isn't perfect he's introducing a counter force that will push the ball away from the intended target.
It's more how his legs were open on the block, felt like his left leg wasn't bent enough to minimise the gap between his legs...so then it could go through and go anywhere - which it nearly did. Would need to see it again as I might be wrong.

Foxbatt

Yes it was a good block but he nearly created a disaster even before that. Trying to dribble his way past three players on the edge of our box.

Sylar

Baffled that he wasn't ready when lindelof came off given how long lindelof was being checked and how slow he came off
Even if lindelof was assessed and staying you would think Bailly would at least be ready right away

stevoc

Baffled that he wasn't ready when lindelof came off given how long lindelof was being checked and how slow he came off
Even if lindelof was assessed and staying you would think Bailly would at least be ready right away
Eric probably doesn't realise he's a centreback.

Status
Not open for further replies.