Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Best player on the pitch along with Greenwood. Quite literally managed to do the work of three defenders along with looking better on the ball than Matic.

One of those players that fans will never change their assessment on, which is sad because if he could stay fit (hasn't managed to much) and get a run of games I think he'd be dynamite next to Varane.

Also he's hilariously the best CB we probably have on the ball, and at least has the balls to try and make forward passes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Best player on the pitch along with Greenwood. Quite literally managed to do the work of three defenders along with looking better on the ball than Matic.

One of those players that fans will never change their assessment on, which is sad because if he could stay fit (hasn't managed to much) and get a run of games I think he'd be dynamite next to Varane.

Also he's hilariously the best CB we probably have on the ball, and at least has the balls to try and make forward passes.
Not even top two.

He’s good at dribbling and that’s it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He would be our best CB if he can stay fit. Brilliant game today.

Kag

He’s been decent recently, which means he’s about to do his knee and sit on his arse for another six months.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not even top two.

He’s good at dribbling and that’s it.
Ok pal. Watch Lindelof or Maguire even on simple passes and try to tell me they are better. Constantly behind players, or misweighted. Maguire fecks up at least a few switches a game. Lindelof has played some beautiful passes for assists from time to time but he's mostly a coward in his pass selection which just isn't good enough for any side looking to play through a press.

I'll take Varane as being better.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ok pal. Watch Lindelof or Maguire even on simple passes and try to tell me they are better. Constantly behind players, or misweighted. Maguire fecks up at least a few switches a game. Lindelof has played some beautiful passes for assists from time to time but he's mostly a coward in his pass selection which just isn't good enough for any side looking to play through a press.

I do and they are. Pal.

IhabX7

I think he’s our best center back. He’s the most proactive one at least. The only issue with him is the constant injuries.

Would love to see him paired with Varane once. Overall I’m happy with the options we’ve got. Me hi looked decent tonight as well.

Juansar_07

He was cut above the rest along with Mason. He has this peculiar style to his game that makes him amusing to watch but more often unreliable. Also had a couple of his usual Bailly moments like one where he impersonated the Booker T move.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Ah yes, I totally haven't watch Maguire stumble on the ball constantly and give it away. He's mistake free. He's a Rolls Royce out there! My eyes must have deceived me watching him constantly pass the ball behind players on the one fecking pass he has the confidence to make to our fullbacks.
Hyperbole. The narrative is getting boring.

Varane and Maguire are the best CBs at the club. Bailly playing well vs Young Boys doesn’t change that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Some good, some bad, classic Bailly.

A-man

Good last second defending in the box, but offered nothing pro-active, no higher up defending and nothing to our build-up.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ah yes, I totally haven't watch Maguire stumble on the ball constantly and give it away. He's mistake free. He's a Rolls Royce out there! My eyes must have deceived me watching him constantly pass the ball behind players on the one fecking pass he has the confidence to make to our fullbacks.
Either your memory is only two months long or you’re genuinely clueless. Maguire’s form has been very bad so far this season but he’s miles better than Bailly at passing the ball when he’s playing well.

kundalini

I thought Bailly performed reasonably well tonight. One moment in the first half when he lost possession around half-way line.

Devil may care

MOTM for me, should have played with a broom given the amount of mopping up he was doing given the mare's going on either side of him.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905

Maguire passes with good pace, Lindelof often plays balls on players heels and underhits very often, Bailly on the other hand tends to give the ball away in dangerous positions with too ambitious passes when he should keep it simple, for me he shoul dbe easily ahead of Lindelof our First SUb for undoubted starting quality of Maguire and Varane, but the lad can't stay fit. Also noone can judge a palyer form a game like this. He didn't disappoint himself today, which is positive but YBB were just horrible..

Foxbatt

he was typical Bailly. The clearance in the first half when he nearly scored an own goal was his making. He headed it to one of their players in the box and then when it was hit sliced it for a corner. It was going out anyway and he could have scored an own goal. Yes he made some good clearances too but then he had Matic as his partner who was no CB and a poor AWB.

SAFMUTD

Another good performance, he should be starting in the league.

United in sin

Either your memory is only two months long or you’re genuinely clueless. Maguire’s form has been very bad so far this season but he’s miles better than Bailly at passing the ball when he’s playing well.
Maguire takes an eternity to pass the ball and you often find yourself thinking he's going to get closed down by an opposition player. It's actually happened more often than it has with Bailly. Bailly and Varane are easily the best and quickest forward passers out the back for me. They both have better overall technique on the ball as well over both Maguire and Lindelof

Last edited:

Abraxas

It's typical Bailly in that he looks great when there's loads to do. Covering other people's mess ups, of which there were a lot, last ditch tackles galore, charging around showing his pace.

The problem is when you throw him into the first team and he starts finding ways to make things interesting.

Still, it was good tonight.

Firstouch20

I just don't see a valid reason for starting Maguire over Bailly at this present moment. They're both going to make the odd error and brain fart so i think they're relatively equally matched in that area but outside of that Bailly is just objectively a better defender. If he can stay fit then maybe we could see a Rüdiger type transformation from him.

criticalanalysis

Good last second defending in the box, but offered nothing pro-active, no higher up defending and nothing to our build-up.
Proactive and high line defending with Matic beside him and only VDB and Mata in front of him? Who was going to cover? That's an absolutely ridiculous criticism :confused:

If anything he was the opposite of the usual Bailly we'd expect and has shown a lot of maturity (for him at least) recently to sit back and read the play more. The fact that he blocked that many passes, crosses and chances showed he is as proactive as the zonal type of defending he's probably learnt from Lindelof.

His passing and dribbling even if he did mess up a few times was more than progressive as it was pretty much always forward and into player's feet. Apart from VDB, who was essentially the only defensive central player and a 33 year old Mata, we had 3 roaming x no.10s. What a strange expectation to expect Bailly to do more. It was a whole new 11.

This would have been heralded as an imperious defensive display and holding of the forte, if he was Swedish.

CloneMC16

He's played well in most of his appearances this season. He has done again tonight. He deserves to start with the first team on current form. There is almost no chance that he will, but he deserves it. I also very much enjoyed his Eddy Gordo impression tonight :lol:

Pickle85

I was at the game. The guy was absolutely fantastic he was the best player on the pitch. He covered for Matic soo many times and was one of the only players who constantly passed forward and moved the ball under pressure
He looked decent today but ALWAYS looks like he has a stupid mistake in him (ie getting caught out trying to dribble out and eventually bailed out by hendo coming off his line to clear). I think he's decent cover but he's too unpredictable and injury prone to be a regular starter. Great physical attributes and a good defender but too prone to moments of madness.

United in sin

I was at the game. The guy was absolutely fantastic he was the best player on the pitch. He covered for Matic soo many times and was one of the only players who constantly passed forward and moved the ball under pressure
He's one of the most exciting centerbacks to watch live when's he's having a great game. He just makes bossing his opponents look so easy sometimes

Jackal981

Holding our shit defensive line by himself. He is literally doing matic and awb job for them. Loved his marauding run to the front. Hope he sort out his fitness and injury issues. If Evans and Wes Brown can be a member of title winning squad, I dont see why Bailly dont

OldTrevil

Only things Maguire is better at than Bailly is saying fit and heading, and thats still arguable because for his size Harry's heading is suspect a couple times every game

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Only things Maguire is better at than Bailly is saying fit and heading, and thats still arguable because for his size Harry's heading is suspect a couple times every game
Not as suspect as EBs misjudging the ball, heading up in the air and then heading it about 1ft away on the follow up.
I’ve said it before about Lindelof, heading should be a a basic of a CB. It’s shocking that there’s so many who can’t do it!

also how the heck did he manage to hurt himself on the goalpost?

Danny

Was at the game and surprised by some of the praise on here. He was okay, covered well for Matic at times but he’s so unpredictable; gave the ball away after his run up field and should have conceded there and very nearly put the ball in his own net again. As others mentioned his defensive headers were awful and put us under pressure too.

Decent passing though and playing through the lines.

Classical Mechanic

Was at the game and surprised by some of the praise on here. He was okay, covered well for Matic at times but he’s so unpredictable; gave the ball away after his run up field and should have conceded there and very nearly put the ball in his own net again. As others mentioned his defensive headers were awful and put us under pressure too.

Decent passing though and playing through the lines.
He got massive praise on TV for the incident you mentioned. He made a simple block; the ball went in the air; he then made a terrible header that set up Young Boys with a decent chance; the shot ended up as more of a cross than a shot; he stuck a leg out even though there was no danger to the goal and the ball went flying in the air and out for a corner. He did a little spin at the end so people thought it was great. 3.58 on the video below.

He did defend well in parts but he's the AWB of centre backs for me, great at the Youtube moments and one-on-one stuff but always not far from a chaotic moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.