Eric Bailly | loan agreed with OM

Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Does he actually have the nerve to talk about playing regularly when he spends the majority of the season injured ?

InfiniteBoredom

How fresh they are is moot, they are bloody tactless seeing that Ole has stood by him. No club of Utd's stature would look twice at him right now.
He could be looking at clubs not of Utd’s stature.

I personally don’t see anything wrong with it. He and the club came to an agreement that a contract would provide both sides some security, but he wants to play football regularly at his age and if not for us then for someone else. There’s nothing worth getting all precious about it, much better than a player in his prime willing to sit on the bench to collect a pay check.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm guessing he's annoyed at not being picked for the final and wrote that in anger. I remember Saha's anger being pretty much on par during the European Cup final in Moscow.

Knowing his injury issues, I suppose Bailly played it safe by signing the contract extension secure in the knowledge he could always move on if he stayed fit, or carried on at United with the security of a new contract. Extending his contract United would have been hoping for better bargaining power in the transfer market.

Basically, both the club and Bailly are a valid reason for the contract extension.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Bailly is the senior professional and I would say a better player than Tuanzebe when fit. However, both Lindelof and Bailly are inept at playing on the left of the centre-back pairing. Although not ideal, Tuanzebe is the only option available playing in Maguire's place.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Injured again? :lol:

I was thinking more 40m. When he first arrived I thought he was going to be part of a Rio-Vidic type of pairing but it never eventuated
Nobody is paying 40 million for a defender whose never fit or in form and performs in spurts.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
It's annoying how players are saying things in the press that they would be better off telling the manager in a chat in the privacy of an office.

I like Bailly, but he's hardly in a position to be issuing an ultimatum.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He could be looking at clubs not of Utd’s stature.

I personally don’t see anything wrong with it. He and the club came to an agreement that a contract would provide both sides some security, but he wants to play football regularly at his age and if not for us then for someone else. There’s nothing worth getting all precious about it, much better than a player in his prime willing to sit on the bench to collect a pay check.
You know how SAF would have dealt with him?

Taxi.

sugar_kane

Never rated the guy, and am convinced a few of our fans like him because he's a 'character' rather than a decent footballer (see: Marcos Rojo).

The most noteworthy stuff he does on the pitch is often because it's the most dramatic, eg. doing a Cruyff turn on his six yard box or something. I don't really feel like we can trust him on the basics.

On top of it all, I just think he might be slightly stupid. Even by footballer standards.

We need centre backs who are smart, calm, reliable, and not injury prone. Boring if necessary, let the exciting players play in front of them.

InfiniteBoredom

You know how SAF would have dealt with him?

Taxi.
SAF had Anderson here for 8 years.

I don’t see the point in getting worked up over what’s clearly a new contract just to protect his value and him expressing his wish to play. In fact, it’s rather refreshing to see some honesty for once, instead of regurgitated waffles about being at the biggest club in the world only to serve up mediocrity or happily collecting wages on the bench. Everything is transactional nowadays, it’s business, not personal.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Never understood and never will understand the obsession some posters have with this guy.
He is not brave, he is mental and frankly - kinda stupid. A few games ago there was a moment that pretty much summed him up. He picked up the ball, started running forward, actually dribbled for like 50 meters or so, surprising everyone. And then with 3 people available, he passed the ball to the only opposition defender that was there, tripping in the process.
All the little tricks and fints he does in our own box - any manager in the world would tell him to fecking stop it. It's always a disaster waiting to happen and it happens often.

You don't need a defender who looks "entertaining" and is always a mistake/red card/injury waiting to happen. Out of the 105 games he played, he looked good in what.. 10?

Maguire who is our most important defender and obviously is 15 times the player Bailly is, gets so much hate and is so underappreciated. And people are crying about the "brave and physically awesome" Bailly, who is basically an overrated Phil Jones.

Get him away from the club asap!

Inigo Montoya

SAF had Anderson here for 8 years.

I don’t see the point in getting worked up over what’s clearly a new contract just to protect his value and him expressing his wish to play. In fact, it’s rather refreshing to see some honesty for once, instead of regurgitated waffles about being at the biggest club in the world only to serve up mediocrity or happily collecting wages on the bench. Everything is transactional nowadays, it’s business, not personal.
I don’t know what Anderson has to do with Bailly. I never recalled him going public about wanting assurances and saying he’d leave.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Never rated the guy, and am convinced a few of our fans like him because he's a 'character' rather than a decent footballer (see: Marcos Rojo).

The most noteworthy stuff he does on the pitch is often because it's the most dramatic, eg. doing a Cruyff turn on his six yard box or something. I don't really feel like we can trust him on the basics.

On top of it all, I just think he might be slightly stupid. Even by footballer standards.

We need centre backs who are smart, calm, reliable, and not injury prone. Boring if necessary, let the exciting players play in front of them.
All this, and he's the worst header of the ball I've ever seen in a centre back. Just laughably bad. He just jumps with his eyes closed and swings his head at it like a child.

He had a few games now and then where he started to win me over a little. But it never lasts. A 4 year extension is a strange decision, akin to when we renewed Jones and Rojo. Even if Bailly wants to leave, who is going to shell out for a player who's rarely fit?

InfiniteBoredom

I don’t know what Anderson has to do with Bailly. I never recalled him going public about wanting assurances and saying he’d leave.
Both highly rated youngsters who had a decent first season before becoming perennial sick note, and should’ve been binned long ago.

As for what he said, again, who cares? It’s hardly Mourinho‘s heritage shite. Player wants to play, shocker!

Castia

Both highly rated youngsters who had a decent first season before becoming perennial sick note, and should’ve been binned long ago.

As for what he said, again, who cares? It’s hardly Mourinho‘s heritage shite. Player wants to play, shocker!
Nah it’s a problem if players are coming out and mentioning other teams/managers, it’s a disgrace to be honest.

Maybe because it’s Bailly there’s a ‘zero fecks’ attitude but imagine if this was Bruno or Rashford?

He’s probably been told he’s not starting the final and to be honest I’d be pissed to lose my spot to a player who’s started about 2 games all season but you can’t come out and mention other teams that’s about as low as it gets.

Sell him.

InfiniteBoredom

Nah it’s a problem if players are coming out and mentioning other teams/managers, it’s a disgrace to be honest.

Maybe because it’s Bailly there’s a ‘zero fecks’ attitude but imagine if this was Bruno or Rashford?

He’s probably been told he’s not starting the final and to be honest I’d be pissed to lose my spot to a player who’s started about 2 games all season but you can’t come out and mention other teams that’s about as low as it gets.

Sell him.
It would have been the same for me regardless of the player (Pogba, for instance). If you truly believe the club is bigger than the players then you don’t act like the sky is coming down every time sth like this happens.

Fergie has been gone for 8 years, we are no longer the tight ship, omertà gang we once were. Football clubs run into these problems all the time. If we were happy to let Rojo refused to train to join us, or for Raiola to kick up a stink at Dortmund for Mkhitaryan transfer, then we should take it on the chin when it’s us who are on the receiving end.

Eric_the_Red99

I’d be more than happy to see him go. While he can be a solid defender, he’s always seemed like a red card or penalty waiting to happen. I was hoping he’d become more disciplined with age, but sadly it looks like he’s simply not intelligent enough to phase that recklessness out of his game. Like flying in with a two-footed challenge from behind on the halfway line when the opponent is facing away from goal and going nowhere – why does he do that?

My only concern would be that we sign at least one CB before we let him go. We’ve made that mistake before.

Inigo Montoya

When was Bailly a highly rated youngster? Very odd posts trying to justify stupid comments.

Anderson at least finished with 4 titles a UCL and a League Cup. I’d be happy to be binned after that

InfiniteBoredom

When was Bailly a highly rated youngster? Very odd posts trying to justify stupid comments.

Anderson at least finished with 4 titles a UCL and a League Cup. I’d be happy to be binned after that
He earned a £30m move to United at 22, seems pretty highly rated to me. Not everybody needs to win the Golden Boy to be counted as such.

And the amount of trophies Anderson got is irrelevant. His only contribution in 8 years at the club was a penalty. I’d be happier if his mouth went off like Bailly’s and he left a few years earlier.

Djemba-Djemba

He's exactly the same player he was when we signed him 5 years ago. All the flaws you could see with him from 2016, terrible in the air, rash and reckless, prone to baffling mistakes, constantly injured, are still there.

He hasn't improved one bit.

Phil

He's seeing the writing on the wall, that he's about to become 4th choice at best.

Inigo Montoya

He earned a £30m move to United at 22, seems pretty highly rated to me. Not everybody needs to win the Golden Boy to be counted as such.

And the amount of trophies Anderson got is irrelevant. His only contribution in 8 years at the club was a penalty. I’d be happier if his mouth went off like Bailly’s and he left a few years earlier.
It’s a shame for you then that his name will be remembered far longer than Bailly’s . You seem rather aggravated by Anderson to bring him up in a Bailly thread. It’s actually rather amusing

InfiniteBoredom

It’s a shame for you then that his name will be remembered far longer than Bailly’s . You seem rather aggravated by Anderson to bring him up in a Bailly thread. It’s actually rather amusing
The only amusing thing here is people like you getting your knickers in a twist because a footballer wants to play football instead of rotting on the bench at the mighty United.

I care for neither of them, it’s a shame for them and for us that they didn’t live up to their potential, but all things considered, I’d much rather have our players behave like Bailly, pushing for a move if they don’t play enough, rather than hang around the place taking up wages and squad room.

Inigo Montoya

The only amusing thing here is people like you getting your knickers in a twist because a footballer wants to play football instead of rotting on the bench at the mighty United.

I care for neither of them, it’s a shame for them and for us that they didn’t live up to their potential, but all things considered, I’d much rather have our players behave like Bailly, pushing for a move if they don’t play enough, rather than hang around the place taking up wages and squad room.
Says the poster who uses Anderson as the yardstick.
As for hanging around the place, you seem to casually forget that he was the one who signed a contract first then came out with the statement. No one held a gun to his head

PS: mighty Utd? Are you actually a Utd fan or some troll?

InfiniteBoredom

Says the poster who uses Anderson as the yardstick.
As for hanging around the place, you seem to casually forget that he was the one who signed a contract first then came out with the statement. No one held a gun to his head

PS: mighty Utd? Are you actually a Utd fan or some troll?
No one held a gun at our head to offer him that contract either. He came out with similar statements months before and it provoked a similar reaction then. It clearly suited both parties to get that contract signed.

I’m tired of this fan base acting like a bunch of pansies at any perceived slights. If you are a big club, act like it, and that goes for the fans as well.

A-man

Bailly? More like Cry-illy.

Anyway, it's stupid timing but understandable. I think he deserves some kind of career and I can't see it happening here.
For some reason, my phone always autocorrects his name to "Silly".

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Out of a possible 294 games, he's been injured in 99 of them meaning that he's been injured 34% of the time at United. Yet he thinks he deserves to be a starter with that injury record. fecking hell.

Just flog him this summer and be done with it.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not even considering selling him just yet, without our board actually investing in all round defender and defense in general.

Sell him too soon and we're left with Maguire as the only defender with a tooth... we're that vulnerable at the back.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
No one held a gun at our head to offer him that contract either. He came out with similar statements months before and it provoked a similar reaction then. It clearly suited both parties to get that contract signed.

I’m tired of this fan base acting like a bunch of pansies at any perceived slights. If you are a big club, act like it, and that goes for the fans as well.
Of course we would offer him a contract! He's a decent player and we can get a good 10-15 games out of him a season. If he wants more than that and he reckons he isn't getting it at United he shouldn't have signed! Complaining now after signing a contract is just silly.

BFernandes

Out of a possible 294 games, he's been injured in 99 of them meaning that he's been injured 34% of the time at United. Yet he thinks he deserves to be a starter with that injury record. fecking hell.

Just flog him this summer and be done with it.
This.

He's completely delusional. He's the problem, nothing to do with tactical selection by Ole.

InfiniteBoredom

Of course we would offer him a contract! He's a decent player and we can get a good 10-15 games out of him a season. If he wants more than that and he reckons he isn't getting it at United he shouldn't have signed! Complaining now after signing a contract is just silly.
We are privy to neither the details of the contract nor what was promised to get him to sign it. It could be the club promising more games which hasn’t yet materialised, it could be his agent pushing for the security angle as his injury record hardly attracts buyers, it could be him being swayed and now have buyer’s remorse (which wouldn’t be a surprise, he doesn’t seem to be the sharpest tool in the drawer).

I just don’t think getting worked up about it, calling his behaviours ‘shameful’ or whatever for the temerity of wanting to play football is very becoming. Football doesn’t begin and end with Manchester United, and if a player expresses such preference and we can’t accommodate it, then just part ways. The club and its fan base certainly aren’t shy when it comes to discarding/hounding out players deemed surplus to requirements, so crying out about being wronged just screams hypocrisy.

This is a long standing gripe of mine, and isn’t limited to Bailly. From great players over the hill like Rooney, De Gea to disasters like AdM, Sanchez etc to the myriad of squaddies, sick notes and never was, there seems to be next to no awareness about the double standard when it comes to conducting transfers.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
We are privy to neither the details of the contract nor what was promised to get him to sign it. It could be the club promising more games which hasn’t yet materialised, it could be his agent pushing for the security angle as his injury record hardly attracts buyers, it could be him being swayed and now have buyer’s remorse (which wouldn’t be a surprise, he doesn’t seem to be the sharpest tool in the drawer).

I just don’t think getting worked up about it, calling his behaviours ‘shameful’ or whatever for the temerity of wanting to play football is very becoming. Football doesn’t begin and end with Manchester United, and if a player expresses such preference and we can’t accommodate it, then just part ways. The club and its fan base certainly aren’t shy when it comes to discarding/hounding out players deemed surplus to requirements, so crying out about being wronged just screams hypocrisy.

This is a long standing gripe of mine, and isn’t limited to Bailly. From great players over the hill like Rooney, De Gea to disasters like AdM, Sanchez etc to the myriad of squaddies, sick notes and never was, there seems to be next to no awareness about the double standard when it comes to conducting transfers.
What double standard is that? You haven't really mentioned any double standard. All you've done is express your displeasure at the idea that fans can call BS on someone who signs a contract and immediately starts talking about how new contract isn't enough and demands game time, when the reason for that lack of game time is him being injured basically every other week..

mav_9me

I like bailly and am a big fan of his aggressive style of defending. But this is not really on. He is injured too often to be a regular and given his place back when he gets fit. That's not happening. If he wants more game time I think he needs to take a step down back to a Spanish club where he might be too good to be left out if fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.