Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
Offer Barca the same money for Busquets and I'd bet they'd be tempted.

It's never gonna happen but he'd be the dream signing.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Spurs need to sell because of Brexit.

They had to cancel the hotel project and stadium costs are rising.

It remains to be seen If United are even interested.
:lol: Priceless ... now I've heard it all

Hed Zitin

I just find it completely daft we are going to jump through hoops all for Eric Dier.

Diawara, N'Zonzi and Fabinho should be easier transfers to do. Especially at the price Spurs want.

Siorac

I just find it completely daft we are going to jump through hoops all for Eric Dier.

Diawara, N'Zonzi and Fabinho should be easier transfers to do. Especially at the price Spurs want.
It'd be understandable if he qualified as homegrown but not even that. But he's big and strong and apparently that's what we want these days (or at least that's what I've learn from Successful's latest thread).

Hed Zitin

It'd be understandable if he qualified as homegrown but not even that. But he's big and strong and apparently that's what we want these days (or at least that's what I've learn from Successful's latest thread).
All those players are big strong lads. All of those player would suit Jose.

For whatever reason we want to make things unnecessarily difficult.

Deleted member 101472

Please god, let us sign Eric Dier and make him captain of the reserve team

Morpheus 7

It would be amazing if Dier hands in a transfer request now. I don't want him but it would be hilarious in here.

RedCurry

I am really hoping that Dier is just our backup option to a much better midfielder. We'd have spent 50m on a midfielder and not really improved anything. I'd prefer to play Blind in there and I don't even rate him that highly as a midfielder.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I am really hoping that Dier is just our backup option to a much better midfielder. We'd have spent 50m on a midfielder and not really improved anything. I'd prefer to play Blind in there and I don't even rate him that highly as a midfielder.
He'd be a significant improvement on Carrick or Fellaini. Had not even considered Blind as an alternative mind you, probably for the fact that Blind is even more limited than Dier.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
He'd be a significant improvement on Carrick or Fellaini. Had not even considered Blind as an alternative mind you, probably for the fact that Blind is even more limited than Dier.
Limited in what sense exactly?

djdhrubs

Has this thread progressed so many pages because of Luckhurst's article which is presumed to have been written after a briefing?

If there was a briefing by Woodward or one of his minions, what was the purpose of the briefing? I mean, what could it possibly achieve in terms of helping the transfer go through? If it results in an article which talks about how Spurs haven't won anything and will struggle to match the salary of other bigger clubs who have, won't that antagonise Levy? Telling everyone that Dier wants to move to United...again, what could that achieve?

Or will the 'its' difficult negotiating with Spurs' line be a face-saving move for when the transfer doesn't work out?

I don't get it.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Has this thread progressed so many pages because of Luckhurst's article which is presumed to have been written after a briefing?

If there was a briefing by Woodward or one of his minions, what was the purpose of the briefing? I mean, what could it possibly achieve in terms of helping the transfer go through? If it results in an article which talks about how Spurs haven't won anything and will struggle to match the salary of other bigger clubs who have, won't that antagonise Levy? Telling everyone that Dier wants to move to United...again, what could that achieve?

Or will the 'its' difficult negotiating with Spurs' line be a face-saving move for when the transfer doesn't work out?

I don't get it.
Every newspaper shared last night at the same stories about Perišić and Dier, not just MEN. It was clearly briefed. Regarding Perišić, might be a way to encourage the player to have a firm stance before the meeting with Inter directors and manager. Dier, maybe you're right, or else we're signaling to put pressure on them regarding other players options and salaries.

RedCurry

Height, speed, strength, Blind is a worse tackler too.
You could've said those same 'limitations' about Alonso, Pirlo, Scholes and Xavi compared to Dier. But a central midfielder doesn't really benefit much from pace, speed or strength. In reality, Eric Dier is just a centre back playing in midfield because he lacks composure to be a successful defender.

Blind is an intelligent player with a very consistent passing ability. He reads the game very well. And he doesn't cost us 50m. We need to walk away from this.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Height, speed, strength, Blind is a worse tackler too.
I don't watch much of Dier, but Blind is a pretty clean challenger:

I wouldn't call Blind limited, but I can definitely accept that height, speed and strength are more important to Mourinho than other things in defensive positions.

Nick7

I don't watch much of Dier, but Blind is a pretty clean challenger:

I wouldn't call Blind limited, but I can definitely accept that height, speed and strength are more important to Mourinho than other things in defensive positions.
He's a clean tackler for sure but Dier can use his physical advantages more.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Closing this thread for ten mins. Cleaning it up so that people can have an actual discussion on Dier rather than talking about Glaston's post. Moving it to the Generals.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Alright opening it again, try and have a discussion on Dier. I've moved all his posts and other subsequent posts into a General thread. Cheers.

Do tell me if I've missed any post related to that, so that I can move them again.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
David Pleat so no way this will happen. So expect the deal to be done any day!
"Forget Eric Dier going to Man United" - David Pleat via BBC website)

Djemba-Djemba

Does seem unlikely to happen.

I think we will end up with Perisic but I can't see Dier signing. Levy won't want to strengthen a rival.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
What an amazing thread!
Want us to sign him just because of Glastonspur.
Not seen Dier enough to have any other opinion than that, but i assume Jomo and his crew know what they're doing, so i'll trust him to find the right players.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Sky say Spurs have no intention of selling him, if that puts him out of the question with Matic very unlikely, who do we have left? Mourinho doesn't seem to rate Fabinho, Weigl is injured and probably could do with a few more years in Dortmund, what are our options now?

Craig Ward

Wouldn't be against it, But 50mil upwards is beyond silly money for him.

Resolution is required, this post is way too long for Eric frecking Dier

Crashoutcassius

His club don't see him as good enough to hold for them and he has been less than great for England. What makes you predict these heights?
As I mentioned, he is good on the ball and has the physical attributes, so working with the best defensive coach of all time could mould him nicely. He has played a lot of times for spurs as a half back, and as you mention at his young age he represents England (while playing as poorly as all the other english players over the years, Scholes was a poor player by that logic).

Android1974

Sky say Spurs have no intention of selling him, if that puts him out of the question with Matic very unlikely, who do we have left? Mourinho doesn't seem to rate Fabinho, Weigl is injured and probably could do with a few more years in Dortmund, what are our options now?
Go brave, go for a more attacking 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 and use the 6/7 players available to play there. Quality, though, is another matter…

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
If Dier is truly off the table then it's fair to say our options are limited to say the least.

I still believe if Ed and Jose push hard enough, Levy will eventually concede. I find it hard to believe that even Mr Spurs could refuse a £50m offer for Eric Dier.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
You sound like a Spurs fan. Do you think that footballers are proud to finish second? It means nothing. Most footballers throw their runners up medals in the bin. In all competitions you are first or last. Manchester United win trophies. Spurs do not.
I must be a Spurs fan then because I'd rather finish 2nd than 6th, irrespective of little league trophies.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
To be honest it would hard to get excited about any DM.

I have no problem with Dier, what I don't understand is why we never get to these players sooner.

Who was the last player we bought for under £10mil that progressed well? Hopefully that Juve scout will do the business.
THIS.

I don't know if its because the club believes that players can't be stepping up to playing for us from smaller clubs but instead need to prove themselves at certain other midtable clubs before.

I wanted us to get Carrick straight from West Ham back in the day. Instead we almost balked at the price Spurs wanted for him according to Fergie. God knows how we'd have fared if we didn't get him in 06/07.

We've had some hits to be fair, with Evra, Vidic and Saha but it's worrying how this seems to be rare occurances nowadays.

RedCurry

I must be a Spurs fan then because I'd rather finish 2nd than 6th, irrespective of little league trophies.
Can you name the second placed teams from all top 5 leagues of Europe without looking it up? I know I can't because no one cares about who finishes second.

Players want to play for teams that win trophies. Man Utd has won a lot more than Spurs even during our worst spell in 25 years and Spurs' best spell since I remember watching them.

Android1974

Can you name the second placed teams from all top 5 leagues of Europe without looking it up? I know I can't because no one cares about who finishes second.

Players want to play for teams that win trophies. Man Utd has won a lot more than Spurs even during our worst spell in 25 years and Spurs' best spell since I remember watching them.
Very good point.

ChaddyP

i can honestly say i dont know who finished 2nd in Germany nor Italy. I do however know who is playing in the supercup next month