Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I just want to put it on record: If we sign him, the lad would do rather well for us and would play an important part in what could be a successful season.

Varun

Staff
I just want to put it on record: If we sign him, the lad would do rather well for us and would play an important part in what could be a successful season.
I agree. Tbh, I'd say the same of Matic or Fabinho. The role of a DM is more about what he lets others do rather than what he's capable of doing himself and I'm fairly confident all 3 of them will give us what we need.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I agree. Tbh, I'd say the same of Matic or Fabinho. The role of a DM is more about what he lets others do rather than what he's capable of doing himself and I'm fairly confident all 3 of them will give us what we need.
Definitely agree with that. Anyone of the 3 would free up Herrera and Pogba. The bonus with Dier is that he actually wants to come here. He was talking about idolising the likes of Keane, Vidic and Rio when he was playing for Sporting.

Varun

Staff
Definitely agree with that. Anyone of the 3 would free up Herrera and Pogba. The bonus with Dier is that he actually wants to come here. He was talking about idolising the likes of Keane, Vidic and Rio when he was playing for Sporting.
Yeah, he's a United fan. His age is a plus as well as he'll improve further. The price will be steep but meh, not arsed.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Can you name the second placed teams from all top 5 leagues of Europe without looking it up? I know I can't because no one cares about who finishes second.
I would guess without looking - Barcelona, Dortmund, Roma, PSG and Spurs. 6th place is a bit harder.

notcool

Supports
a
I would guess without looking - Barcelona, Dortmund, Roma, PSG and Spurs
Think Leipzig came second in Germany. Then the third placed teams were: Atletico, Dortmund, Napoli, unknown, Man City. Sevilla and Liverpool were fourth in Spain and England respectively.

Robertd0803

Exactly. More about the overall sum instead of individual parts allowing Pogba and Herrera more freedom.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
I'll tell you one thing, given the prices a lot of average players are going for this Summer, Paul Pogba at £89m was an absolute steal.

RedCurry

Leipzig? Dammit.B

Sixth I see were Real Sociedad, Hertha Berlin, AC Milan, Bordeaux and Manchester United. Nuff said.
So a player would prefer to join Leipzig instead of Dortmund according the league table logic. Also no player would want to move from Monaco to PSG. If you think rationally, the theory holds no water.

glazed

So a player would prefer to join Leipzig instead of Dortmund according the league table logic. Also no player would want to move from Monaco to PSG. If you think rationally, the theory holds no water.
No we're talking about second versus sixth, not first versus second. Would a player leave Leipzig for Hertha Berlin? Or leave PSG for Bordeaux?

Zlatattack

No we're talking about second versus sixth, not first versus second. Would a player leave Leipzig for Hertha Berlin? Or leave PSG for Bordeaux?
Well that depends on whether you're a big club or not.

Manchester United have finished 4th, 5th, 6th and still attracted the likes of Di Maria, Falcao, Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, all guys who were playing in much better teams than ours at the time.

Chelsea finished 10th last season and managed to by Kante (from the league champions) and Luiz (from the French Champions).

Fact is money talks, ______ walks.

glazed

Well that depends on whether you're a big club or not.

Manchester United have finished 4th, 5th, 6th and still attracted the likes of Di Maria, Falcao, Pogba, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, all guys who were playing in much better teams than ours at the time.

Chelsea finished 10th last season and managed to by Kante (from the league champions) and Luiz (from the French Champions).

Fact is money talks, ______ walks.
I agree. Dier fancies a pay rise.

Akshay

Staff
Does depend on what formation we intend to play. I'm fine with signing anyone if they're going to rotate/compete with Herrera in a 4-2-3-1. But if we're going to switch to 4-3-3 from here on out, then I'd like us to buy a player who might be the foundation of the midfield for years to come. I'm not convinced Dier can grow into that player.

Varun

Staff
Does depend on what formation we intend to play. I'm fine with signing anyone if they're going to rotate/compete with Herrera in a 4-2-3-1. But if we're going to switch to 4-3-3 from here on out, then I'd like us to buy a player who might be the foundation of the midfield for years to come. I'm not convinced Dier can grow into that player.
The primary objective will always be to get someone who's going to have an immediate impact next season regardless of the formation though. Dier's nothing special which is why I don't even want us to pay the crazy money Spurs will want but he's still young and has the tools to be a top DM if he improves in other areas. In any case, he'll still be a good choice as the DM next season as far as immediate impact is concerned.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Here you go, @Mcking:
How about we stop going for a DM and focus on strenghtening our forward line? Assuming we sign Perisic, he will likely take a place on the left of a front three with Mkhi likely on the right and Lukaku upfront; alongside Pogba, Herrera and a DM, that front six really lack enough firepower. We could spend the money for the DM(this way our spending won't get past the realistic mark) on another forward -preferably one that can play wide- a la Sanchez. Herrera can then hold with Mkhi dropping to right midfield. With Mkhi in midfield, Pogba won't get the freedom he would with a DM but he will get enough freedom to express himself since Mkhi will have his own defensive responsibilities; they won't have to attack simultaneously since the front three can score and create enough goals. Jose can just replace Mkhi with Pereira, TFM, lingard, carrick and 'Fellaini' if he wants to rotate -he could do the same with the attack too. Futhermore, signing another midfielder will make make us stocked in midfield and light in attack(Imho, Mkhi, Mata, lingard and Pereira don't have the skill set to play dominantly as forwards). We also have the option of playing Blind and Lindelof as DM in the big games.

Akshay

Staff
The primary objective will always be to get someone who's going to have an immediate impact next season regardless of the formation though. Dier's nothing special which is why I don't even want us to pay the crazy money Spurs will want but he's still young and has the tools to be a top DM if he improves in other areas. In any case, he'll still be a good choice as the DM next season as far as immediate impact is concerned.
I just would prefer us to be a bit more ambitious in that position. We've signed a lot of attempts at Carrick's successor over the years and we're pretty much out of time to find one. If all we want is an immediate impact stopgap, we could go for someone more experienced like N'Zonzi who might be cheaper. Dier is the middle-way solution I guess, young enough to potentially (but not likely imo) be a long term solution, but proven enough to do the job now.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Alright lads added the poll. Get going.
@Snowjoe please mate, do a pole on if people want dier or not I beg you , will clear up this nonsense for good.

I doubt it would be more than 5% and most of those would be Glastonbury and some oppos

Varun

Staff
I just would prefer us to be a bit more ambitious in that position. We've signed a lot of attempts at Carrick's successor over the years and we're pretty much out of time to find one. If all we want is an immediate impact stopgap, we could go for someone more experienced like N'Zonzi who might be cheaper. Dier is the middle-way solution I guess, young enough to potentially (but not likely imo) be a long term solution, but proven enough to do the job now.
Yeah, agree with that.

tom porter

I personally like the player as he's strong defensively and very versatile. I actually see him as a healthy, less rash version of Phil Jones.

In my opinion his fair value is probably between 25-30 million pounds. Spurs would easily want twice that for him and given he's a somewhat limited player in his abilities I think we would be wise to pursue other defensive midfielders.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Which part of Dier's game would you have him improve most?

For me his standout attributes are strength, tackling, heading, reading of the game, genuine pace, versatility and a tenacious mentality akin to that of Roy Keane. Can take free kick's to boot.

His technique is poor (cumbersome similar to Fellaini) and the creative side of his game is lacking to say the least, this is most evident when in possession of the ball, where he looks utterly lost and 9 times out of 10 he square it to the nearest player. Safe to say we wouldn't be expecting him to contribute in an attacking sense.

The last part is a concern, not sure if it's a confidence thing, or he simply lacks the ability to play a telling pass.

Varun

Staff
Which part of Dier's game would you have him improve most?

For me his standout attributes are strength, tackling, heading, reading of the game, genuine pace, versatility and a tenacious mentality akin to that of Roy Keane. Can take free kick's to boot.

His technique is poor (cumbersome similar to Fellaini) and the creative side of his game is lacking to say the least, this is most evident when in possession of the ball, where he looks utterly lost and 9 times out of 10 he square it to the nearest player. Safe to say we wouldn't be expecting him to contribute in an attacking sense.

The last part is a concern, not sure if it's a confidence thing, or he simply lacks the ability to play a telling pass.
His game with the ball.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not a simple yes and no for me, we need a DM and our no. 1 target should be Fabinho, if we can't get him Dier would be someone who could do a job for us and wouldn't be dissappointed if we got him as a last resort.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Voted a clear no. Good player but would take silly money that Spurs could probably use to take a punt on someone who could be better. Also there are options I prefer, like Fabinho or Ndidi.

Mainoldo

Hoping with all the Matic/Dier links proves the press know feck all and we sign somebody else
We are not in for Fabinho otherwise we would have brought him. Especially the way he's been lifting up his skirt to us.

So who out there would you prefer?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I think he's the best option that we have been linked with.

He'd give us the flexibility to play a 352 (especially if Perisic is bought for left wing back) with him stepping forward into midfield when we have possession and back into a solid back three when we don't.

He's also more than capable of anchoring the midfield.

Dier and Matic just seem such boring signings but both would do a good job.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We are not in for Fabinho otherwise we would have brought him. Especially the way he's been lifting up his skirt to us.

So who out there would you prefer?

This is the crux of it.

Rightly or wrongly, Mourinho doesn't want Fabinho. Like you have already said, if he did want him he'd have joined by now.

The unfashionable Matic and Dier seem the only options.

I'd go for Dier as he's younger, can play multiple positions and I don't think he's finished developing yet.

spiriticon

I personally like Dier as I think he provides great cover for the back four and has a good pass on him as well. If he signs, it'll remind me a bit of the Carrick signing in terms of general feeling. Not overly flash but could play quite an important role at the club.

It'll be nice to have at least one English midfielder in the team as well, considering Carrick hasn't got long left.

red thru&thru

I don't think Jose is in any rush. We get Dier, great. If not, we'll try Tuanzabe there. Played a couple of games towards the end in the middle and dome quite well. Nothing spectacular but did exactly what was required. Personally I'd gibe him the chance and if it doesn't quite work out in pre season, then we go for the likes of Fabinho & Dier.

Yes, they may not be available by then but they can't be THAT top of the oust if we've waited this long. Give Tuanzabe the chance I say.