Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Spurs need the money after brexit. They will sell players for the right price.

With UK inflation rising the stadium costs are rising by the week. They also had to cancel the hotel part of the project as it's no currently viable.

stepic

What does the 18 point gap mean though? Except that we won trophies, ended up in the CL while you want absolutely nothing and ended up the exact same competition?
It means that they performed consistently better over the course of an entire season.

I mean let's get real. Tottenham at present are a better side than us. They were better than us last season, as evidenced by the 18 point gap. Us banging on about winning two of the least important trophies is embarrassing -- we should be aiming for the league and CL, not league cups and europas. If the league title is the goal (as it should be) Tottenham were 18 points closer to that goal last year. That's the truth.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Glaston is being silly. Every player in the world has a price and no one is that stupid to keep an unhappy player at the club for long. If United wants Dier then they will get it. It all depends on whether or not they are ready to meet Levy's price.

thegregster

It means that they performed consistently better over the course of an entire season.

I mean let's get real. Tottenham at present are a better side than us. They were better than us last season, as evidenced by the 18 point gap. Us banging on about winning two of the least important trophies is embarrassing -- we should be aiming for the league and CL, not league cups and europas. If the league title is the goal (as it should be) Tottenham were 18 points closer to that goal last year. That's the truth.
In the last 25 years Spurs have won two League cups.

We bettered that last season if you agree that the Europa League>League cup-which most would.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout

Nah, that's ridiculous. The fact that we won 3 trophies last year, even though they are not the league or the CL, they are far better than being 18 points ahead of a team in the league. We've won those trophies, there are no guarantees that the difference next season will be 18 points. What was the difference between Chelsea and Leicester last season, and what was the difference this season? The truth is that this club is about winning trophies, and what is 'embarrassing' is that 'fans' like you belittle the achievement of winning trophies, no matter how much you personally value those trophies.

devilish

:lol: Least we haven't used a dodgy fax machine to stop one of our players moving onto bigger and better things.
Real's interest for DDG wasn't big enough to convince him from leaving. They left it too late which in turn pissed the player enough for him to sign a new contract with us at a later stage.

The same happened to Chelsea with Lukaku and the same would probably happen if we dilly dally on Dier.

thegregster

I genuinely fear for what will happen Glaston when Spurs do sell Dier
He is well used to United snapping up Spurs players who have ambition to win things.

Sherringham,Carrick,Berbatov etc.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Bloody hell folks. Looking over the past 4 pages you've managed to make @GlastonSpur sound sensible, and pretty much everything he's said (today) is correct.

Not sure if many of you watched spurs last year but for me they were the best football team in the league, which as we know (have benefited and lost to) this does not mean you necesarily win the league.

Honestly, based on last season, the obly players i the united squad that woukd be better than their counterparts are De Gea, Pogba and probably hererra when hes at his best.

He's also accurate that we could be really wasting our time with Dier. He's just signed a new contract. Levy has little (i'll get back to this) reason to sell. And Dier has little reason to push for a move - he's running the risk of moving to a worse team (although i dont think in the long run) even if it is for more money. We can get Dier if we want him but we'll have to overpay - thats what happens.

One reason Levy might be interested in selling is to help pay for the shiny new stadium, and i wonder if he will see Dier as an acceptable loss in comparison to other Tottenham players.

The problem for Spurs is that they are, at the moment, greater than the sum of their parts. The players they have and the manager have really clicked - just as they did at Southampton. The move to Wembley next year could be a massive risk. You could see that with how they performed unusually poor at wembley in Europe last year, its reminiscent to how poor Arsenal were in Europe when they had to play at wembley. It will take time for wembley tyo feel like a 'home' stadium. This will also happen when they get to new stadium as it did with Arsenal and West Ham. Particularly when you move from a certain 'style' style of stadium. The big new ones just aren't as intimidating as highbury, Boleyn, WHL.

Could be rubbish but it will be interesting next year.

Then you have the inevitable manager move where it may all break down.

But for now, we cant ignore where we stand in the pecking order, we have years of shitness from Moyes and VG to fix

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I'd still prefer Matic. Although, the availability of holding mids in the market is pretty scarce, currently.

Probably not many people here have seen Mourinho's blueprints for his Porto and early Chelsea days where he has a specific profile for each position, which includes the physical, technical and mental aspects of the player. He determines that the holding mid must be very strong mentally and show composure under pression. Must also be a leader to drive the team forward in key moments.

We had Costinha, a very limited anchorman but very clever off the ball and would show up when the team needed. Then at Chelsea is as you know, Makelele if I'm not wrong but i'd say a prime Mikel was the kind of player Jose liked for that role.

So, saying it again and despite his age and current form, Matic might be the most adequate solution. Fabinho is not a player to take up the game but he could grow here, who knows. Eric Dier? I've seen plenty of him at Sporting and a bit for England and he strikes me as a clever player but not sure he has the guile to be the holder Jose wants and needs!

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Dier is 23, Perisic is 28, that's a five year difference. By all accounts both of them are not worth the prices quoted, but Dier could offer a longer service to the club, and is pretty young and could improve. Perisic at 28 has probably reached his potential and this is his peak, plus he's a winger and as soon as his physical attributes decline he's done, yes there are players like Robben and Ribery but he's not even close to their talent. Perisic could offer us 2-3 years max while Dier could be hear 10 years since in his position he could adapt his game much more then a winger, in my opinion.
Yeah, but Perišić will be competing with a promising 21 years player! And Dier substituting a 35 years old player. Makes total sense. The average squad age is still under 25.

Android1974

You are also getting a player who can play centre back, which is a huge bonus, especially if it means getting rid of Jones / Smalling.
A huge bonus perhaps on the long run, considering we got 7 centerbacks in the squad at the moment, but definitely can help to change tactically during games.

red_devil83

We've already spent megabucks on one "homegrown" player. Admittedly Dier is actually English and it's nice to have English players but is he really worth £15m more than Bakayoko or Fabinho? Would Spurs even sell for £50m?

Android1974

This could be a move to signal to the player we're interested, so that, if we can't get him now, he might run his contract. But then I saw it will only end by 2021.:nervous:

Dracula

caf plane air-master
£25m is a reasonable starting price to be fair.
But it isn't though. No premier league team will sell a first team player for that amount, especially when they've just signed a new contract.

For the record i think that 25m figure is bull, but regardless we'd have to pay a lot more than that for Spurs to want to sell. My fear is we'll try getting him on the cheap for the next month and fail.

We're gong to have to over pay. Who cares how much we pay? Its not your money. If a manaher wants a player we will pay what is required to get him if its in an acceptable budget for the club, and only they kow what that is.

cyberman

Bloody hell folks. Looking over the past 4 pages you've managed to make @GlastonSpur sound sensible, and pretty much everything he's said (today) is correct.

Not sure if many of you watched spurs last year but for me they were the best football team in the league, which as we know (have benefited and lost to) this does not mean you necesarily win the league.

Honestly, based on last season, the obly players i the united squad that woukd be better than their counterparts are De Gea, Pogba and probably hererra when hes at his best.

He's also accurate that we could be really wasting our time with Dier. He's just signed a new contract. Levy has little (i'll get back to this) reason to sell. And Dier has little reason to push for a move - he's running the risk of moving to a worse team (although i dont think in the long run) even if it is for more money. We can get Dier if we want him but we'll have to overpay - thats what happens.

One reason Levy might be interested in selling is to help pay for the shiny new stadium, and i wonder if he will see Dier as an acceptable loss in comparison to other Tottenham players.

The problem for Spurs is that they are, at the moment, greater than the sum of their parts. The players they have and the manager have really clicked - just as they did at Southampton. The move to Wembley next year could be a massive risk. You could see that with how they performed unusually poor at wembley in Europe last year, its reminiscent to how poor Arsenal were in Europe when they had to play at wembley. It will take time for wembley tyo feel like a 'home' stadium. This will also happen when they get to new stadium as it did with Arsenal and West Ham. Particularly when you move from a certain 'style' style of stadium. The big new ones just aren't as intimidating as highbury, Boleyn, WHL.

But for now, we cant ignore where we stand in the pecking order, we have years of shitness from Moyes and VG to fix
Ah, so he's correct because you agree with him.
Good to know.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
These two posts are suspiciously similar in style of wrtiing.

Hmm.
Haha.

In fairness, that last post of his was made as i was attempting to write that thesis. I may have changed it slightly if i'd seen that last post

Android1974

Tottenham might need the money to buy a new Sissoko or a substitute for Janssen.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But it isn't though. No premier league team will sell a first team player for that amount, especially when they've just signed a new contract.

For the record i think that 25m figure is bull, but regardless we'd have to pay a lot more than that for Spurs to want to sell. My fear is we'll try getting him on the cheap for the next month and fail.

We're gong to have to over pay. Who cares how much we pay? Its not your money. If a manaher wants a player we will pay what is required to get him if its in an acceptable budget for the club, and only they kow what that is.
Precisely how I feel about it, mate.

If Ed feels final fee is acceptable then who are we to argue.

devilish

We've seen many clubs like Spurs in the past from Blackburn to Newcastle right to Southampton. These clubs will build a solid team only for it to disintegrate simply because they lack the funds to keep the team gelled together or to bring adequate replacements/stars that can make a difference. These sort of complaints were echoed by SAF pre United times. He would build great sides with Aberdeen only to see his team sold away bit by bit. Spurs are richer then Aberdeen but once Real or Bayern start circling around Alli or Kane then rest assured they'll be a goner.

United are currently worse off then Spurs but we've got more money to spend and we're a far more attractive then them. Spurs think that 4th place is a great achievement while for us that is the minimum requirement. Its all about trophies at United and while the manager won't be sacked if he constantly make it to 2nd-4th place, I doubt the club would be happy with just that either.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
We've seen many clubs like Spurs in the past from Blackburn to Newcastle right to Southampton. These clubs will build a solid team only for it to disintegrate simply because they lack the funds to keep the team gelled together or to bring adequate replacements/stars that can make a difference. These sort of complaints were echoed by SAF pre United times. He would build great sides with Aberdeen only to see his team sold away bit by bit. Spurs are richer then Aberdeen but once Real or Bayern start circling around Alli or Kane then rest assured they'll be a goner.

United are currently worse off then Spurs but we've got more money to spend and we're a far more attractive then them. Spurs think that 4th place is a great achievement while for us that is the minimum requirement. Its all about trophies at United and while the manager won't be sacked if he constantly make it to 2nd-4th place, I doubt the club would be happy with just that either.
completely agree

Saf94

Because he's so far failed internationally and been poor in pretty much every European game Tottenham have played.
So did Rooney.... Rooney flopped internationally his whole career and he's our record scorer. International record means nothing

European games also has nothing to do with it. How long did City struggle in Europe? Even with players like Kompany, Silva, Toure, Aguero. It takes time to understand how to do well in Europe, that whole team literally only played 6 CL games in their lives that's nothing to judge someone on

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You have clearly rarely watched Dier play. Just quoting my post and poking holes in it for some strange reason. Maybe because the "underrated like Carrick" irks you for some reason. He is very much in the mould of Carrick/Fletcher/and maybe Butt at at stretch, in terms of tacking and being a good reader of the game.
I have watched Dier countless times, he plays for Spurs, not some random no-name team in a league I don't watch.

Carrick and Fletcher were also very different players so I'm not sure how Dier can be in the mold of both of them. Unless by "in the mold of" you mean "plays in vaguely the same area of the pitch as (except when he's a centre-back instead)".

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Haha.

In fairness, that last post of his was made as i was attempting to write that thesis. I may have changed it slightly if i'd seen that last post
Only kidding mate ;)

Glaston is a good poster for the most part. Generally very informative all things Spurs, but he's been ganged on on the last few pages of this thread -which he has brought on himself - and has lost the plot somewhat.

cyberman

Yes.

That is, generally how language works.
Really? I thought it meant you two had contrasting opinions to other posters in this thread, but hey I must be wrong since I don't share your opinion.
Saves a lot of time, I'll work on that.

devilish

completely agree
Also don't forget that players tend to be overconfident people who gambled with their lives, they won and they now want to keep on making as much hay as possible until the sun shines. If that wasn't the case then Pogba would never leave Juventus (ie a trophy machine) for us, at least not at this state. They genuinely think that they can make the difference between failure and success + they want to paid top £££ to do it.

Android1974

Means very little, but what impressed me more in his videos was his bombing balls forward with such precision.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
If you hadn't seen the prices linked with Dier this Summer and if you were being honest, he'd be valued at £35m max (and that's taking into account the fact that the market is super inflated and he's English)

£50m is outrageous.