Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So they didnt actually win anything.

If you want to put Ten Hag's terrific success at Ajax down to him inheriting a great squad, and then ignoring how he was stripped of key players and had to rebuild creatively (losing FdJ, De Ligt), then thats a fallacy on your part.
They didn't win, but they were clearly on an upwards trajectory. He made them do the final steps, but despite their streak without titles it wasn't EtH who completely revived Ajax (like necessary with United), most of that was done before.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Except the fact we are aiming to press higher up the pitch and force transitions from high turnover scenarios. The execution being poor doesn't negate an obvious change backed by stats from even last season to this.
What tinted glasses, where have I said we are a better team?
Again you are just conflating issues and taking nonsense. We don't play the same
ETH thinks the execution was very good though.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's so funny that people thought Ronaldo was the problem, when he was the best player in the squad during his first season back.
Revisionism, under ETH the team literally were playing games trying to setup chances for Ronaldo to walk the ball into the net and he was rubbish, fact is he declined very quickly similar to what we are seeing with Casemiro this season.

gaffs

Its a good structure of both sides have a backbone. Which we know is not the case.
The higher ups could have turned to Ten Hag and said "no means no on Antony, but here's Gakpo who was your number 2 on the list". But they didn't. They paid a bigger premium (I think they could have got Antony cheaper if they moved earlier) and Ten Hag will get the full blame for that.

I see that as a structural failure more than anything else though. Ten Hag for me is a manager and a coach. And I'l criticize him for the poor results right now, but I don't want to over analyse transfer business because its a mess above him.
I agree. It is a mess above him. The sooner this partial takeover happens and some competence is recruited, the better.

After those two losses to Brighton and Brentford at the start of last season, I think both ETH and the club panicked.

They bought a "proven" player in Casemiro and one that ETH thought he could trust in Anthony.

Both, I believe, will prove to be epic fails.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Tbh I don't even know if you agree with me or not. Obviously it's impossible to play like City overnight. That's pretty much what I was trying to say I think.

Atm imo we have to keep it simple because unless he's blind ETH must be able to see the fecking obvious result of his football against City. But City aside imo more or less we're still trying to play his kind of football.

Imo it's not like the injures are the sole reason for us being crap atm. There's more to that I think. But yeah surely we'd logically be better when our first choice players are back. But would we play well enough it's impossible to tell imo. Only time will tell. We'll see I think.
I think we mostly agree. We just deep dived into what really stands behind "sophisticated" phrase.

On the bolded part, it goes without saying, I am just arguing the impact of those Martinez/Shaw getting back to the team. The reason I am sceptical is because opposition is setting up differently against us now - the difference is our GK+back 4 is not being pressed, but everyone else is easily marked and we have no way to get the ball forward as all passing lanes are very tightly blocked.

It is very easy to play against us now and any system that relies on defender playing the perfect pass is going to fail miserably.

Ronaldo's Love Child

A what point do we all agree that he isn’t up to the job? I lasted until yesterday and his post match interview has confirmed for me he isn’t up to it. However, he still has a lot of support, which is absolutely fair enough.
My over arching view is that since the cup final We have a negative GD and less than 50% win rate. The cup final was a few months into his tenure and about the time you’d expect his style of play to kick in. So where are we now? We certainly ain’t improving, the players to come back are hardly world beaters. They might be full backs but both have been ever present in the absolute pastings we got last season. Casemiro the only noticeable one to come back anytime soon - so we aren’t going to get better all of a sudden. We have no game changers to drop into this first 11.
If ETH wants to see till Easter then he needs to adopt a new approach today. I’d be much happier if we got beat 0-3 by City if we actually tried to score a goal or two.

Whether he is upto the job or not is academic for us as there really isn't no-one streets ahead of him who is available.

Until we get a DOF and start planning on a style of play, academy blueprint, tactics for the next 3-5 years then it's pointless sacking him as the next manager will just swing the steering wheel in another direction he wants to move us to.

padzilla

Hipster
we have to at least give him until the end of the season - even though I'm not convinced the writing's not on the wall already. If he hasn't got any tangible improvements after 2 years then you can say that's fair enough if his time at the club ends.

Rednotdead

He’s done. I think everyone here knows that in their own heart but most don’t want to be seen calling for the sack for yet another manager.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They didn't win, but they were clearly on an upwards trajectory. He made them do the final steps, but despite their streak without titles it wasn't EtH who completely revived Ajax (like necessary with United), most of that was done before.
No, but it was Ten Hag who propelled them, and then maintained that success when they were getting stripped of some top class players.

FerociousCorgis

we have to at least give him until the end of the season - even though I'm not convinced the writing's not on the wall already. If he hasn't got any tangible improvements after 2 years then you can say that's fair enough if his time at the club ends.
i mean no point in sacking him now. Still the same group of shit players who will just play their same damn way knowing they are untouchable.

DSG

The money spent is on him when it’s his players he’s brought in that aren’t good enough.
The system of recruitment at the club is well documented. He has a veto for all players nominated for acquisition. Murtagh, the scouts, ETH can all nominate. ETH has veto power. At the very least, he didn’t veto Antony, Wout, etc. It is probable that he had a hand in nominating Antony, Licha, Onana because he previously managed them. We can’t say recruitment is 100% his fault because he doesn’t have absolute power, but with the power of veto, he is clearly somewhat culpable.

RORY65

So they didnt actually win anything.

If you want to put Ten Hag's terrific success at Ajax down to him inheriting a great squad, and then ignoring how he was stripped of key players and had to rebuild creatively (losing FdJ, De Ligt), then thats a fallacy on your part.
I didn't say anything of the sort, you asked someone else what they had done beforehand and I responded that they were close despite being so young so he took over at a good time and then took them to another level. I guess a reasonable argument for him is that he definitely didn't take us over at a good time so it was unrealistic for him to impose his style of play on this side so quickly (it took him 4 years to make Ajax dominant domestically) but he did eventually get there.

croadyman

I would love to see the Glazers go before him. Or at least Ineos and Sir Jim in to make the footballing decisions. Hopefully it happens soon. If not we will rinse and repeat.

And yes, he will go if he can’t turn it around. It will be hard to do under these conditions though.
Oh completely agree that it needs to be someone else making the football decisions but when is that gonna happen

crossy1686

career ending
The system of recruitment at the club is well documented. He has a veto for all players nominated for acquisition. Murtagh, the scouts, ETH can all nominate. ETH has veto power. At the very least, he didn’t veto Antony, Wout, etc. It is probable that he had a hand in nominating Antony, Licha, Onana because he previously managed them. We can’t say recruitment is 100% his fault because he doesn’t have absolute power, but with the power of veto, he is clearly somewhat culpable.
Mount and Antony are 100% his players. He wanted them, he chased them, he said over the summer Mount was the 'complete' midfielder when asked about his interest. He didn't give a feck how much they cost, he just wanted more players. He'd have spent over a billion if the money was there.

croadyman

The same Carrick that is currently 10th with Middlesbrough? His team are basically on the same run as us in a worse league.

McKenna is the only coach who has done well since leaving us and even then I wouldn't want him to come back to us.

If we can get a manager that has the b*lls to drop Rashford and Bruno then I'm all for them especially if they can make an actual functioning midfield out of the players we have available.
That last paragraph is what Erik needs to do but where is the evidence he sees any problem with either of them is my concern

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I didn't say anything of the sort, you asked someone else what they had done beforehand and I responded that they were close despite being so young so he took over at a good time and then took them to another level. I guess a reasonable argument for him is that he definitely didn't take us over at a good time so it was unrealistic for him to impose his style of play on this side so quickly (it took him 4 years to make Ajax dominant domestically) but he did eventually get there.
No, my apologies it shouldn't have been phrased as "you" but to the other poster.

Pscholes18

Yeah completely different standards when it comes to Bruno & Rashford,that's a very valid point about him not complaining over decisions too. I admire any of the fanbase who actually believe he will suddenly grow a set and drop both of them ASAP.
Apparently he said he sticks with Rashford because he doesn't want to abandon him during this time of struggles according to The Talk of the Devils podcast.

crossy1686

career ending
He's probably realized they're weak as piss mentally.
It doesn't help when your manager sets you up to be shit. It's his job to get the best out of them regardless of what he thinks. He can ship one or two out every summer if there's a replacement to be had. He kicked AWB to the curb when he first arrived, then he had to reintroduce him back in when he realised he wasn't going to get a new RB, same thing is happening with Maguire now, he'll probably do it with Sancho when he's desperate for his job to be saved. You can't just decide you're done with a bunch of players because you want new one's yesterday.

croadyman

Apparently he said he sticks with Rashford because he doesn't want to abandon him during this time of struggles according to The Talk of the Devils podcast.
Jeez that is grim to hear and makes him sound quite pitiful which is sad to see. This is exactly why I would happily see a new recruitment team sack him and find someone who will drop them

DownRiver

He was talking about the first half. Our first 30 mins was pretty good.

Second half he changed the plan and wanted to go for it. It was the wrong move and he would need to take ownership of that.
How far has the club fallen that we have been ‘pretty good’ because we were hanging on for dear life against our rivals?

Why is the standard not that ‘pretty good’ refers to the team dominating Man City?

These are the standards set from to bottom.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So that impressive season checks out if he actually crystalised this focus into something tangible. Which he didn't. He choked in an empty stadium. He also over played players and turned them into crocks. He mismanaged martial and played Rashford into the ground. Ten Hag makes do and leads the line with Weghorst up top and does a better tally. Ten Hag also fought on 3 trophies alongside top 4 for a long time and did eventually finish 8pts clear of 4th.
See you are still clinging to the ‘he got a massive 1 point more’ argument, I pointed out it is really skewed due to the fact we secured CL football so early that season. End of the day it was a far more comfortable top 4 finish than last year, and also got us higher in the standings.

I am however willing to bet we don’t get to 75 points this season. Fancy a bet?

I also do not think overplaying players is going to be a great argument here. We played our strongest team against Nottingham with a 3-0 lead last year.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
See you are still clinging to the ‘he got a massive 1 point more’ argument, I pointed out it is really skewed due to the fact we secured CL football so early that season. End of the day it was a far more comfortable top 4 finish than last year, and also got us higher in the standings.

I am however willing to bet we don’t get to 75 points this season. Fancy a bet?
No, I'm not clinging on to that. I'm citing he competed in 3 cups, plus the top 4 hunt. He finished a higher tally yes, but he also won a cup and reached another final. Ole didn't.

Ole's second season was not better than Ten Hag's first - as much as you want to literally make shit up that it was.

Rista

I'm expecting a poster on the forum suggesting that we sack the manager to have an idea as to who we replace the manager with. That's the difference between it being a rational opinion or a knee jerk reaction.
I mean you can tell Antony is not good enough for a club like United without having an exact replacement in mind. Saying "unless you can name the replacement, stfu" means ETH is the best possible man for the job and nobody could do better. It shouldn't be up to the fans to find the suitable candidate, it's exactly why it's not an easy call to make. What is easy to see however is that we don't look good on the pitch and haven't for a long time. Excuses as to why that's the case are very, very unconvincing.

Sarni

No, I'm not clinging on to that. I'm citing he competed in 3 cups, plus the top 4 hunt. He finished a higher tally yes, but he also won a cup and reached another final. Ole didn't.

Ole's second season was not better than Ten Hag's first - as much as you want to literally make shit up that it was.
We played the same amount of cup games in both seasons. Got further in EL but exited League Cup and FA Cup earlier.

So basically in terms of trophies the only real difference is Ole wasn’t lucky enough to draw Nottingham in the semis and got knocked out by City (which ETH would have been knocked out by as well).

croadyman

It's not we have an unprecedentedly level of injures at the start of this season, its not a few injuries.
Liverpool struggled similarly when it happened to them, also when you already have a compromised squad the issue is exacerbated (e.g when your backup players are ones you already know are not fit for purpose)
Maybe he shouldn't have overplayed them last season ever thought of that. Many of us said then if he's not careful this will lead to burnout and players getting injured

Teja

He can ship one or two out every summer if there's a replacement to be had. He kicked AWB to the curb when he first arrived, then he had to reintroduce him back in when he realised he wasn't going to get a new RB, same thing is happening with Maguire now, he'll probably do it with Sancho when he's desperate for his job to be saved. You can't just decide you're done with a bunch of players because you want new one's yesterday.
He's almost bought a whole new first XI - Mount, Antony, Martinez, Casemiro, Amrabat, Hojlund, Onana, Eriksen not to mention the loan signings so this isn't really an excuse.

If he's still playing yesterday's players then that's on him more than anything else. Why aren't his players playing? And why did he not prioritize the signings correctly? And the players he inherited weren't all garbage, he had some decent players to work with (Rashford, Bruno, Garnacho, Varane, Sancho etc.)

Teja

Ole got really unlucky with the draws, was drawn against City multiple times and Ten Hag would've lost those as well. I'd just focus on the league performances instead.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ole got really unlucky with the draws, was drawn against City multiple times and Ten Hag would've lost those as well. I'd just focus on the league performances instead.
He was also tremendously lucky not to play any away games infront of a crowd.

Do you know what happened to that away record the minute stadiums reopened?

The Hilton

I mean you can tell Antony is not good enough for a club like United without having an exact replacement in mind. Saying "unless you can name the replacement, stfu" means ETH is the best possible man for the job and nobody could do better. It shouldn't be up to the fans to find the suitable candidate, it's exactly why it's not an easy call to make. What is easy to see however is that we don't look good on the pitch and haven't for a long time. Excuses as to why that's the case are very, very unconvincing.
Nah you're just trying to excuse a lack of depth of thought there. You wouldn't suggest playing 10 men instead of playing Antony, you'd suggest a replacement and why they'd be better.

It's very simple, if you think a manager could do a better job than ETH, then name them and explain why. If you can't do that, then your opinion that he should be sacked is worthless. Ironically, not being able to name a better replacement is what actually means "ETH is the best possible man for the job and nobody could do better". If you don't have an alternative, then you don't have a solution, only a reaction.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
All this arguing and comparing facts and figures is a waste of time.

No manager comes back from such a sustained period of terrible football and results. This is dead in the water. For all the logical thinkers, this is the only logic that matters.

He had the summer to try and rectify where things were going but it’s clear the players can’t execute whatever it is that he wants. He had the chance to get in a top CB, CM and try and make the team more physical and solid and he went after the wrong players and fluffed the big chance to change the ships course.

No manager comes back from this, and we only need to look at Leicester to see the damage that comes from being passive and doing nothing.

All we are accomplishing now is eroding confidence, lowering standards and wasting everyone’s time.

It hasn’t worked, there is no point in wasting more time. It never works in the modern game.

croadyman

Its a good structure of both sides have a backbone. Which we know is not the case.
The higher ups could have turned to Ten Hag and said "no means no on Antony, but here's Gakpo who was your number 2 on the list". But they didn't. They paid a bigger premium (I think they could have got Antony cheaper if they moved earlier) and Ten Hag will get the full blame for that.

I see that as a structural failure more than anything else though. Ten Hag for me is a manager and a coach. And I'l criticize him for the poor results right now, but I don't want to over analyse transfer business because its a mess above him.
Yeah you are absolutely spot on he should have been told by recruitment team (use that term loosely) that he was not having so much control over transfers. He has had far too much say and now look at the mess. Really hope IF Ratcliffe thing materialises he has all of that transfer power taken away immediately. Also that Jim takes a ruthless view on his performance this season.

Sarni

Precisely. We beat Gerrard’s Villa, Burnley, Charlton and Nottingham to get to League Cup final. It was an incredibly easy run.

Strelok

I think we mostly agree. We just deep dived into what really stands behind "sophisticated" phrase.

On the bolded part, it goes without saying, I am just arguing the impact of those Martinez/Shaw getting back to the team. The reason I am sceptical is because opposition is setting up differently against us now - the difference is our GK+back 4 is not being pressed, but everyone else is easily marked and we have no way to get the ball forward as all passing lanes are very tightly blocked.

It is very easy to play against us now and any system that relies on defender playing the perfect pass is going to fail miserably.
Tbh watching us last season basically I have no idea who was supposed to do what anymore, especially when we're playing well so it's simply impossible for me to tell you how we'd play when our first choice player are back.

However one thing about this kind of football I've noticed watching City is they always have multiple good technical dribblers who serve as ball carriers to stretch the play or draw the defenders . They're very good at keeping and running with the ball. They're also very good at chance creation. Like KDB, Silva, Grealish, Mahrez and Foden. Even their FBs are very good as ball carriers. Sometime you can see their CBs doing that as well. Then they have an excellent CDM who is capable of very accurate long passes to find runners running behind the defense. Like Rodri. Who is very crucial both offensively and defensively in their system. Their players keep running with or without the ball and exchanging short quick passes to the sides to create situational numerical advantage. So it's basically impossible to mark all of them. You often see them have one or even two attackers more than the defenders at one point especially at both wings.

Atm imo what we lack is some good ball carriers and those good long and vertical passing. Imo Antony and Mount both signed to serve as our ball carriers and chances creation. Then Casemiro as Rodri. Excellent DM who can keep the ball really well with excellent long passing and can drive the ball forward as well. Casemiro has unfortunately turned shit this season and nobody has an idea why though.

So with my very limited knowledge imo in order to play well again I think we need Casemiro to somehow find his top form back asap. His position is absolutely crucial in this system. Then Mount to quickly adapt. Antony to create more chances. Hojlund to be better at finding space and finishing. Then Shaw and Martinez back. Both are very good passer and quite decent ball carriers imo. That's all I could say I think.

P/s: adding @OrcaFat for the discussion you know about this shit much more than me mate :D

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He was also tremendously lucky not to play any away games infront of a crowd.

Do you know what happened to that away record the minute stadiums reopened?
That obviously explains why every team had unbelievable away form as none of the away teams faced crowds either.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
In a way does this not sum up what an absolute mess our club is?

Not only have we gone for years from pillar to post, manager to manager, with different philosophies.

We have now signed a manager who is known for a style and now expecting him to implement another (yes, I think the direct DNA idea has come from above, there was no speak of this last season, in fact quiet the opposite).

That came after. The only reason he came here in the first place was for a job upstairs after.
He accepted it while he was still at United. https://www.skysports.com/football/...r-but-will-remain-in-man-utd-consultancy-role