Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

iato89

Did ETG react and change the formation when Utd went down to 10 men? There certainly looked to be a huge hole where Casamiro used to be. Isn't that U10 coaching?
his decision this year has been absymal

el3mel

Thinking about it, it seems like the 7-0 totally broke this guy. It was going alright till Liverpool humiliated us on this night. Since then we have never truly recovered from such loss.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The problem is that his signings have been shocking. This is such a poorly assembled squad.
This is my concern too.
Why do we have to repeatedly end up in situations where our squad needs a complete overhaul.

If we have to have ultimately unsuccessful managers, can our next one please be of the type that builds a sensible and solid squad but just lacks the ability to take us to the next level.

AneRu

The problem is that with this club it would be a rebuild. If we had decent succession planning, then we could get rid of him and bring in someone to make a few tweaks to continue the progress he's made, rather than wholesale changes.

The worst thing we could do is to sack him and get an interim manager in, that puts us back to square one. We've chosen a path, and as Zlatan said we have to continue down that path, even if we decide that ETH isn't the manager to take us to the end of it, it needs to be someone who will take us in the same direction.
The issue with your line of thought is that you are assuming that he won't need a lot of money to undo his own mistakes. Three quarters of his signings will need replacing regardless of what happens with him because they are average to shit. He has quietly done a Van Gaal on us.

Besides Mount and Hoijlund, Lisandro Martinez is facing more than three months out and a difficult road back, the two keepers are shit, the jury is still out on Amrabat, Case and Eriksen are aging and Antony is average. Whoever gets the job will need money because everywhere you look on the pitch you see a need for a better player.

The only hope with Erik is that, at least he is playing the likes of Meijbri and they will grow into their roles. Two or three of those lads making it could just save us and give us a bit of hope. That's all there is to cling to right now.

Skills

Snitch
Thinking about it, it seems like the 7-0 totally broke this guy. It was going alright till Liverpool humiliated us on this night. Since then we have never truly recovered from such loss.
Probably something to it. It was the first game after the cup final?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
But he didn't build the team around Bruno. He plays Bruno as a stopgap, right, left, back, everywhere. ETH played Wout at Bruno's position last year, Mount this year.
He plays Bruno as a stop gap only if you ignore the other 90% where he plays Bruno in his preferred position. Bruno always plays and is our main offensive player. He literally made him captain.

DavidDeSchmikes

In all competition since the 7-0, P20, W12, D3, L5

The Hilton

The issue with your line of thought is that you are assuming that he won't need a lot of money to undo his own mistakes. Three quarters of his signings will need replacing regardless of what happens with him because they are average to shit. He has quietly done a Van Gaal on us.

Besides Mount and Hoijlund, Lisandro Martinez is facing more than three months out and a difficult road back, the two keepers are shit, the jury is still out on Amrabat, Case and Eriksen are aging and Antony is average. Whoever gets the job will need money because everywhere you look on the pitch you see a need for a better player.

The only hope with Erik is that, at least he is playing the likes of Meijbri and they will grow into their roles. Two or three of those lads making it could just save us and give us a bit of hope. That's all there is to cling to right now.
I don't agree with your assessment of his signings, for starters declaring a keeper who hasn't had chance to play for us as shite is completely irrational.

Still, be it ETH or someone else, we need to continue down the path we've started on for any of this to be worth it.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I don’t think he should get sacked, neither do I think he will - yet. But he is in trouble. He can’t help Onana being an absolute moron but the fact Onana is quite clearly his signing is what doesn’t help. Defensively, we’re a state.

Lentwood

I created a thread after the Brentford 0-4 last season in which I said that if ETH didn't adopt a more pragmatic approach, and abandon "his" football, he'd be gone by Christmas.

I won't bump it because there's no need - but I'd say here we are again...revert to 4-2-3-1 or he's out by Christmas

marktan

He's a dead man waking, and that's purely due to his transfers. Last year wasn't great with Antony, this year his picks in Mount and Onana have looked really poor for the money spent.

Judas

Open to offers
Tonight stunk. We're not improving, and the same flaws and odd tactical choices keep being meant.

For the very first time, bit worried. Can't be losing a game like tonight.

lilcurt

Managers who demand as much control as ETH live and die by their signings. At the moment very few are looking good.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We’ve had our disagreements in the past, but I’m with you here. He absolutely deserves criticism, and he should be nervous, but he shouldn’t be sacked yet.

If we don’t get wins versus Brentford, Sheffield United and Copenhagen, he probably needs to go. Or at least 2 wins and a draw.
Yeah I think he 'needs' 4 wins to get a better mood back. There's little to no wriggle room given City come after that.

DavidDeSchmikes

Yeah I think he 'needs' 4 wins to get a better mood back. There's little to no wriggle room given City come after that.
after City it's Newcastle in the league cup, Fulham, Copenhagen, Luton, Everton

The Brentford and Sheffield Utd need to be wins (dull 1-0 wins will do)

Oscar Bonavena

I loved Erik when he first came in because he had the balls to drop the underperforming players, no matter what their status at the club was, and it turned our form around straight away.

So why he's showing loyalty now to underperforming players now is very frustrating, and will probably end up getting him the sack.

DiMaria

So what are we supposed to do? Sack another manager, put our faith yet again in a clueless hierarchy that has proven time and time again that they’re incompetent when it comes to football. We will never get anywhere with the glazers at the helm. Mourinho, ole, ten hag, nobody will succeed under them. Glazers out and then everything else will follow:

Falconhoof

In all competition since the 7-0, P20, W12, D3, L5
Let's be honest, a lot of those performances weren't very good, regardless of 12 wins. We've gone downhill since the cup final. We all saw them. This season the performances are similar but we're losing more games to reflect it

gaffs

I've been wrong about many things on the caf, I'm not going to shy away from that.

But I'm not going to give up faith in a manager who was an obvious first pick upon being hired and had a successful first season. I want to see if he turns this atrocious start around. That makes me more patient than some, not unwilling to admit I'm wrong.
I actually agree.

There are obvious issues with some of his man management, signings, tactics, decisions and in 18 months he has still not developed a coherent and consistent style of play. We are all over the place at times last season and it is even worse this year. We still rely on individual moments of brilliance for goals, like the Bruno goal V Burnley.

He talks about control, but we very rarely control a game. Outside of convincingly beating Crystal Palaces B team, we have not dominated a game this season. We look like the worst drilled team in the Premier League. Even the teams at the bottom of the table can pull together and defend as a unit. Shit, even Burnley were stroking it around and dominated possession.

It doesn't feel from what we are hearing in interviews that he knows how to fix it. Beating the players with the proverbial stick isn't working.

But he did have a good first season, even though we got humiliated against some of the big teams. He has had to deal with a lot of off field issues, some that he may have arguably made worse, but still. Injury's this year have been tough, but i question him playing injured played like Licha and AWB.

And as discussed with your good self, we are so invested in this manager in terms of his signings, from his old clubs, there seems little value in throwing in the towel now.

If it turns out to be a 6th or 7th place league finish, out of the CL at the group stage, no cups and no green shoots of hope, then I think he has to go in the summer.

InfiniteBoredom

I created a thread after the Brentford 0-4 last season in which I said that if ETH didn't adopt a more pragmatic approach, and abandon "his" football, he'd be gone by Christmas.

I won't bump it because there's no need - but I'd say here we are again...revert to 4-2-3-1 or he's out by Christmas
But this isn't "his" football. You can argue that he already compromised by building the team around two individualistic, inconsistent players like Bruno and Rashford. This is the frustrating part about this, he went against the blueprint of his previous success in search of immediate result and it comes crashing down anyway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So what are we supposed to do? Sack another manager, put our faith yet again in a clueless hierarchy that has proven time and time again that they’re incompetent when it comes to football. We will never get anywhere with the glazers at the helm. Mourinho, ole, ten hag, nobody will succeed under them. Glazers out and then everything else will follow:
Sticking with a clueless manager never helps anyone

abailey123

We need to break this cycle of chopping and changing managers but time to Ten Hag to find that backs one and not accept players not living up to standards. Too many basic errors are costing us.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I actually agree.

There are obvious issues with some of his man management, signings, tactics, decisions and in 18 months he has still not developed a coherent and consistent style of play. He are all over the place at times last season and it is even worse this year. We still rely on individual moments of brilliance for goals, like the Bruno goal V Burnley.

He talks about control, but we very rarely control a game. Outside of convincingly beating Crystal Palaces B team, we have not dominated a game this season. We look like the worst drilled team in the Premier League. Even the teams at the bottom of the table can pull together and defend as a unit. Shit, even Burnley were stroking it around and dominated possession.

It doesn't feel from what we are hearing in interviews that he knows how to fix it. Beating the players with the proverbial stick isn't working.

But he did have a good first season, even though we got humiliated against some of the big teams. He has had to deal with a lot of off field issues, some that he may have arguably made worse, but still. Injury's this year have been tough, but i question him playing injured played like Licha and AWB.

And as discussed with your good self, we are so invested in this manager in terms of his signings, from his old clubs, there seems little value in throwing in the towel now.

If it turns out to be a 6th or 7th place league finish, out of the CL at the group stage, no cups and no green shoots of hope, then I think he has to go in the summer.
agreed

steffyr2

I loved Erik when he first came in because he had the balls to drop the underperforming players, no matter what their status at the club was, and it turned our form around straight away.

So why he's showing loyalty now to underperforming players now is very frustrating, and will probably end up getting him the sack.
He ran out of players. Who knew that there were only so many players in a squad and you had to work with the players you had?

Lentwood

But this isn't "his" football. You can argue that he already compromised by building the team around two individualistic, inconsistent players like Bruno and Rashford. This is the frustrating part about this, he went against the blueprint of his previous success in search of immediate result and it comes crashing down anyway.
At this point, I'm confused about what "his" football is...its not possession, its not transition, its not long ball...its like a weird, horribly chaotic mix of all three

el3mel

No, let's stick with an awful coach till he ruins the team completely until the Glazers sell the club.

Judas

Open to offers
He ran out of players. Who knew that there were only so many players in a squad and you had to work with the players you had?
He's got other options than to play a very out of form Bruno on the wing though. He was honking tonight, still finished the game. Decisions like that do him no favours.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
10 games this season, 6 defeats, 18 goals conceded.

:lol: What are we meant to be positive about

Falconhoof

The club is in the biggest mess since the 70s. Everyone is right, until the Glazers do one, nothing will change. Not taking any blame away from the management and players though. It's one big shit show from top to bottom but can only get better when they go. They just won't though will they. Leeches. City n Liverpool couldn't have ruined us anymore if they'd been running us!