Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 582 54.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 484 45.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Flexdegea

The very first training session running passing and pressing drills with it all on the floor even including our keepers, how can you not look at that and be excited. Whatever happens they will FINALLY attempt to be entertaining and that's all i want at this point.

"Nah mate just standard drills he is running here, just run of the mill stuff, clearly all coaching is the same and Hag not known for his coaching and drilling. Nothing to see here at all, don't know why anyone would even be excited at all he actually started his job and is coaching em, just try be miserable like the rest"

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So we’ve established that there is nothing wrong with a thirty second video in which a coach tells his players to shoot. Good.
No, we didn't.

I disagree with his vague coaching, "you take on two or 3 players, shoot. Youre 18 yards out, shoot".

Hes basically telling them to shoot when they see the goal, not to shoot when they're in goalscoring positions. Apart from ONE example where he cited them being one on one.

Of course if I didnt know how he coached from the journalists insights at United, I would not comment. But the video is probably accurate with how he was actually handling United. A hands off, vague coach relying on individual brilliance and wonder goals.

Kag

No, we didn't.

I disagree with his vague coaching, "you take on two or 3 players, shoot. Youre 18 yards out, shoot".

Hes basically telling them to shoot when they see the goal, not to shoot when they're in goalscoring positions. Apart from ONE example where he cited them being one on one.

Of course if I didnt know how he coached from the journalists insights at United, I would not comment. But the video is probably accurate with how he was actually handling United. A hands off, vague coach relying on individual brilliance and wonder goals.
We did.

You’re using a thirty second video clip in which a coach tells his players to shoot in response to what is presumably dicking around.

You’re now about to go on to an even more boring tangent in which this is then conflated with the job he did managing the club.

The reality is that the video means sod all, and the content could just as easily have left the lips of Ferguson.

I teach for a living. If anybody even contemplated telling me about the quality of my teaching practice on the basis of thirty seconds I’d cart them straight out the bloody door. The same thing applies here.

I put as much stock in that video of Ole as I do a twelve second video of Ten Hag asking a bunch of seventeen year olds to pass it more quickly.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We did.

You’re using a thirty second video clip in which a coach tells his players to shoot in response to what is presumably dicking around.

You’re now about to go on to an even more boring tangent in which this is then conflated with the job he did managing the club.

The reality is that the video means sod all, and the content could just as easily have left the lips of Ferguson.

I teach for a living. If anybody even contemplated telling me about the quality of my teaching practice on the basis of thirty seconds I’d cart them straight out the bloody door. The same thing applies here.

I put as much stock in that video of Ole as I do a twelve second video of Ten Hag asking a bunch of seventeen year olds to pass it more quickly.
You asked if there's something wrong with the coach telling his players to shoot.
Im saying thats not all the video insinuates, and is a testament to his shit coaching.

Theres no tangent, and there's no need to be so offended about a video of Oles poor coaching to Ten Hags more granular coaching.

TheGame

You asked if there's something wrong with the coach telling his players to shoot.
Im saying thats not all the video insinuates, and is a testament to his shit coaching.

Theres no tangent, and there's no need to be so offended about a video of Oles poor coaching to Ten Hags more granular coaching.
This is a Ten Hag thread so it’s nothing to do with Ole so no idea why he is even brought up.

Kag

This is babble, which I’m sure you know. Do enjoy the next round of thirty second video clips that appear on social media. For the sake of Ten Hag and his reputation, I hope he doesn’t say anything too unsophisticated.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is babble, which I’m sure you know. Do enjoy the next round of thirty second video clips that appear on social media. For the sake of Ten Hag and his reputation, I hope he doesn’t say anything too unsophisticated.
I will. I doubt he would. Hes an actual coach.

alexanderplatz

Respectfully,

To be fair, would anyone post any coaching video of substance on social media? Don’t they keep this stuff private? Can’t imagine the lads are getting out through the tricky stuff on the first day, in front of the media and without a number of the key players. He probably just wants to see who actually listens and tries to do what he is telling so he has an idea of who might be reliable and who may not be. That’s a process.
He’s clearly not a terrible coach though, he’s done a bit in the game at the highest level and over multiple seasons. Worth a shot

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
To be fair, would anyone post any coaching video of substance on social media? Don’t they keep this stuff private? Can’t imagine the lads are getting out through the tricky stuff on the first day, in front of the media and without a number of the key players. He probably just wants to see who actually listens and tries to do what he is telling so he has an idea of who might be reliable and who may not be. That’s a process.
He’s clearly not a terrible coach though, he’s done a bit in the game at the highest level and over multiple seasons. Worth a shot
Wrong thread to discuss and I dont want to derail. Lets just say there were a lot of credible leaks that Ole knew little on coaching.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
United's budget to freshen up the squad this summer has been described as "sizeable" but those who know the finer details say there has been an insistence, even as far back as April, that supporters shouldn't expect wholesale changes.

Greck

Right mentality. I'll probably be more excited when I see them actually carrying out his instructions. When our low motor forwards press and passive midfielders and defenders don't give opponents the red carpet treatment.

macheda14

Clean slate fc
Exactly what I didn’t want to hear. Although that being said a few players have already left and we seem to be aiming to bring in 5 players, which is enough. No matter how much change this squad needs it can be incremental. 5 players this summer, 1 in winter and another few next summer and then it’s an entirely different squad.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Thing is, most players will now be on something more like their fourth or fifth chance at this point.

Gator Nate

For all the moaning about a clean slate, he is a coach who does still have to deal with what's left on the roster. He might as well give them a chance to see if any of them respond to his new system and coaching - it's not like he can just ship them all out wholesale.

Tarrou

Exactly what I didn’t want to hear. Although that being said a few players have already left and we seem to be aiming to bring in 5 players, which is enough. No matter how much change this squad needs it can be incremental. 5 players this summer, 1 in winter and another few next summer and then it’s an entirely different squad.
what did you want to hear?

youse lot are all cnuts and I can’t wait to be rid of you!

GreatDane

For all the moaning about a clean slate, he is a coach who does still have to deal with what's left on the roster. He might as well give them a chance to see if any of them respond to his new system and coaching - it's not like he can just ship them all out wholesale.
He has to do that in order to get the best of them. Good move, and it's not Vibes FC. It's a new day, new coach and a new chance for players to step up - last chance also.

Volksie316

Clean Slate FC is back then!

It doesn't seem to matter who the manager is.

Players who play fecking awfully week in and week out, season after season, always get new chances!

And we wonder, why we aren't a serious club anymore.

Greck

Calm down lads, he's supposed to tell the ones who stay they have a clean slate. One look at our transfer business suggests he's not restricting himself. 4-5 rumoured transfers is already half a outfield team, even more ruthless is many of these targets are in positions of well established first teamers. A couple could still have their clean slate from the bench or at another club or from the bench of another club.

Newtonius

Wrong thread to discuss and I dont want to derail. Lets just say there were a lot of credible leaks that Ole knew little on coaching.
Is it really such a derailment to discuss the outlook of the last manager as a basis of comparison to the new manager? Guessing nobody had a problem when that comparison was LVG or Moyes instead right?

Its not like the failure is discussed with glee either it sucks to think about especially that 4-3-3 during the caretaker reign. Might have been based on Jose-less vibes but people would have been happy if he just tried to maintain that fluid style moving forward. Instead he was appointed full time and subjected us to that miserable 4-2-3-1, especially before Bruno with Lingard and Pereira at the center of everything, was so bad people were demanding Angel Gomes to start.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Calm down lads, he's supposed to tell the ones who stay they have a clean slate. One look at our transfer business suggests he's not restricting himself. 4-5 rumoured transfers is already half a outfield team, even more ruthless is many of these targets are in positions of well established first teamers. A couple could still have their clean slate from the bench or at another club or from the bench of another club.
Exactly. It's clear that a number of players have been told to find a new club. The ones remaining will get a chance. That's fair enough IMO. I still believe the squad is vastly underperforming and with a proper coach, who knows.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Many of these players will let him down. But I am confident he won't persist with them.

pascell

Like the bit where he mentions the passes are too soft, he wants passing with tempo.

Been grating me the past decade when we play with no tempo and sloppy, slow(zombie!) passing!
It's happened for too long that slow tempo passing, plus we passed it without any responsibility taken on the ball, that's why ten Hag was my first choice, he won't stand for it.