Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

frostbite

He is not a good manager, at least not good enough for the level we require. He will be sacked.

The real question is: Is it better for the team to sack him now, or wait till May?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The article says they're tired of hearing instructions and don't enjoy staying an hour late to hear things when English is their second language.

They're not being hung out to dry mate. A lot of these players are on 200+k a week.

I dont deny they aren't trying in the pitch but any tactically intricate manager will need to drill the nuances of his tactics home. And if they aren't properly consumed they will look more lost than what is designed. To suggest the players are just being hung out to dry is way too one sided, especially when you consider some of these players have form for chewing up and spitting managers out when they have to work a bit more.
Tactically hung out to dry. Wages doesn't matter when they're on the pitch and I've seen no evidence they're not trying to do as he's asking. At least I guess they are as performances are the same every week, win or lose, and he keeps picking them.

I can't agree any these players doing this before though. Under Ole we were in agreement on who the culprits were and they've all gone. Ten Hag has a strong spine of players that are his and I find it hard to believe they're trying to oust him. And if it was only a small few then I think it would be obvious to those within the club that are with these guys daily.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Yes, but I grow weary of briefs like this. Players didn't like LVGs methods, players didn't like Rangnick methods, players didn't like Mckenna for being too schoolmastery.

Its athletic I know but it sounds like a rinse and repeat soundbite.
LVG? It's not even the same team, mate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Tactically hung out to dry. Wages doesn't matter when they're on the pitch and I've seen no evidence they're not trying to do as he's asking. At least I guess they are as performances are the same every week, win or lose, and he keeps picking them.

I can't agree any these players doing this before though. Under Ole we were in agreement on who the culprits were and they've all gone. Ten Hag has a strong spine of players that are his and I find it hard to believe they're trying to oust him. And if it was only a small few then I think it would be obvious to those within the club that are with these guys daily.
Did we? :lol:

RedRocket9908

We lost to Burnley at Carrington yesterday (Wednesday) for the 2nd time this season, Burnley are 19th in the league yet beat us 3-0 last time and apparently thrashed us this time.

pocco

loco
Lingard, Henderson, Pogba etc.

Go back to last summer and nobody was talking about how we need to still shift players that were undermining the manager. It's just another excuse. We should have been at least as good or better than last season after spending another quarter of a billion pounds on players, and yet we're even worse. So what's changed? Why would the players suddenly down tools after finishing third and seeing the club invest to try and win things? Because they have to work harder? Harder than what, last season? Come on...

NLunited

Sounds like Ten Hag doubling down on trying to improve the players because they aren’t proficient yet at the drills?

They can’t play out the back through a press, you really believe making the drills more fun will improve their performance of these standard skills they haven’t mastered yet?

If we don’t play this pressing/transition style it is back to long ball tactics gents.

GreatDane

Sounds like Ten Hag doubling down on trying to improve the players because they aren’t proficient yet at the drills?

They can’t play out the back through a press, you really believe making the drills more fun will improve their performance of these standard skills they haven’t mastered yet?

If we don’t play this pressing/transition style it is back to long ball tactics gents.
I'm pretty sure that there is another way to play between long ball and whatever the feck Ten Hag is trying to do.
I'm also sure that Ten Hag isn't capable to install it.

frostbite

We lost to Burnley at Carrington yesterday (Wednesday) for the 2nd time this season, Burnley are 19th in the league yet beat us 3-0 last time and apparently thrashed us this time.
Yes, but we were missing the second best goalkeeper in the league.

pocco

loco

I think it was said that they get bored because he just goes over very simple stuff over and over.

Is funny though because not long ago there was a story saying he's not been able to do tactical work for a year due to injuries etc. This was used as an excuse for why we've not really looked like we've any sort of plan on the pitch. But if he has actually been doing hours of tactical work....yikes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lingard, Henderson, Pogba etc.

Go back to last summer and nobody was talking about how we need to still shift players that were undermining the manager. It's just another excuse. We should have been at least as good or better than last season after spending another quarter of a billion pounds on players, and yet we're even worse. So what's changed? Why would the players suddenly down tools after finishing third and seeing the club invest to try and win things? Because they have to work harder? Harder than what, last season? Come on...
Sorry, who decided they were the wrong attitude ones, and who decided it was just them? Did you just watch a Mark Goldbridge video and took it as bible or something?

Also saying they're always hung out to dry on tactics is a bit of a lazy way of interpreting the season. I'm not saying Ten Hag hasn't been naieve, in fact there's at least a half dozen games where he has. But there are also a lot of games we tactically set out the right way, and we lost a lot of points.

Zed is not dead

I can't even find this athletic article.
I’ve read the article and it’s just a summary of all the articles the Athletic already wrote on Ten Hag, nothing new to be honest, just some click bait stuff because they’ve run out of articles on Ratcliffe and Berrada.

The article only says he does a lot of video and tactical analysis with the team, and sometimes players doze off or get bored, and that if they don’t fully grasp the concepts he’s trying to convey then they can have a mare on the field.
They also quote Dusan Tadic saying that when you win, suddenly everyone sees value in these sessions.
They also talk about his english and that sometimes things may be lost in translation

pocco

loco
Sorry, who decided they were the wrong attitude ones, and who decided it was just them? Did you just watch a Mark Goldbridge video and took it as bible or something?

Also saying they're always hung out to dry on tactics is a bit of a lazy way of interpreting the season. I'm not saying Ten Hag hasn't been naieve, in fact there's at least a half dozen games where he has. But there are also a lot of games we tactically set out the right way, and we lost a lot of points.
It was pretty much a universal opinion amongst United fans that they were the issue and were the ones leaking stuff also. Possibly others too, but I don't ever remember anybody mentioning any of the current players as the ones that were an issue. I'll stand corrected if you can name players that people have said has a bad attitude and are an issue, which have been here since Ole etc? The only one I'd personally say (and I've been in the minority on this for a long time until recently) is Rashford, but he gets picked every week and seems untouchable for ETH. Surely he isn't that bad a judge in character? Although I suppose he did try to sign Arnautovic, tried to bring Greenwood back and signed Antony...

RedRover

Totally agree. Given our history of the last ten years though, I have serious doubt a new manager could come in and get us playing fluid football right off.

We have had games under Ten Hag where we played great football; it makes you wonder why we can’t do it more often.

There are managers overperforming right now with squads that are not as good as ours on paper. Ten Hag was one of those managers before he came here. Managing MU is a whole different level of a challenge.
My point exactly. The reality is, this is the elite level in terms of expectation. The vast majority who get to that level fail - it's the same in business and in other sports.

The best managers across various disciplines know how to unlock potential, build rapport and bring people together to get the best out of them. That's a massive part of the job - the best coaches generate a "us v them" culture in a squad.

There's no evidence of any of it and a distinct lack of performance on other metrics as well.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He's obviously a boring as you'd expect even being the scenes. It's partly on the coaches and manager to inspire players, in fact it's a pretty key part of the job where I expect he fails miserably. How culpable the players are I'm not sure, but I've seen lesser players looking good in drills before the games at Old Trafford. So I'm not sure really why that would be.
Apparently not the manager's job to inspire players, as we've been told by ETH fans.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Think we should keep him for as long as possible, we probably deserve each other, it’s not like we are likely to get someone better anyway.

ohhrooney

Apparently not the manager's job to inspire players, as we've been told by ETH fans.
According to his ****, a manager’s job is just to rake in the plaudits for winning games.

Everything else is not his responsibility, it’s the owners fault, it’s the players fault, it’s the pitch guys fault, it’s Fred the Red’s fault, it’s the tea lady’s fault.

The manager is the next best thing since sliced bread who can’t do no wrong. He choice of players are perfect. His tactics are perfect.

In fact it’s other managers fault as they don’t allowed him to win.

RedRover

You make some very good points. Thing is, the managers you mention have the luck to be building sides from the ground up. The same luxury was afforded to Arteta, and only recently you hear groans about falling behind in the title race. This is a luxury a United manager is not afforded because there are too many things (on the commercial side) at stake. Get more out of the squad and finish in the top-four doesn't cut it at United. We have a much different endgame. Also, the main reason Howe, Ange or Bielsa are able to punch above their weight is because they don't have to convince anyone to work hard off the ball. They manage players whose fortunes are tied to their clubs' success. This hasn't been the case at United for a very long time.
Howe didn't. He inherited a squad and he wasn't even anywhere near their first choice appointment. He's had Dan Burn at left back and other average PL players all over the pitch.

And Ten Hag has been able to spend £400 million on players - it's as much his squad as anyone's.

Couldn't agree less on the bolded point. Culture comes from the top and they get players to buy in and work hard. That's a talent and not just in managing football players.

Gordon Godot

Howe didn't. He inherited a squad and he wasn't even anywhere near their first choice appointment. He's had Dan Burn at left back and other average PL players all over the pitch.

And Ten Hag has been able to spend £400 million on players - it's as much his squad as anyone's.

Couldn't agree less on the bolded point. Culture comes from the top and they get players to buy in and work hard. That's a talent and not just in managing football players.
Agree with you, the weird manipulations people make to excuse ETH. Managing United is always very tough, the inept owners and management make it harder. But its not impossible. The bare minimum is some good football, regardless of results. Howe has done a pretty good job given the challenges there.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Quite frankly I can't see how anyone can not see the pattern here.

a-A new manager comes in
b- he doesn't trust the DOF so he brings his own players in
c- the team does well during the 1st-2nd season
d- during the 2nd-3rd season he demands some players to go out as they don't fit his game
e-Most of those players remain at the club and the manager gets the 2nd-3rd choice players that he asked
f- that season proves to be unwatchable. Every player seem to lose his touch, leaks are everywhere, injuries ravage the club and we end up playing tumescent football with a Fellaini/McT upfront

If you go through that list one should ask

a- why every manager we get asks for a revolution? Why bring managers whose style is completely different to the guy preceding him?
b- why no manager trust the DOF?
c- why all our player seem to lose fitness and form 1-2 years after joining us?
d- Why can't we sell players?
e- Why cant we sort one feckin problem at this club?

Im neither ETH in or out. There are valid arguments for both sides of the barricade. All I am saying is that before we take that decision let us hire competent people first. Let's not allow Murtough to choose our next manager!

GreatDane

Agree with you, the weird manipulations people make to excuse ETH. Managing United is always very tough, the inept owners and management make it harder. But its not impossible. The bare minimum is some good football, regardless of results. Howe has done a pretty good job given the challenges there.
Being runner up in the league used to mean we had a bad season, but now that we're 8th with -5 GD it's apparently the best we could hope for.
Crazy how far the standards have dropped.

Gordon Godot

Quite frankly I can't see how anyone can not see the pattern here.

a-A new manager comes in
b- he doesn't trust the DOF so he brings his own players in
c- the team does well during the 1st-2nd season
d- during the 2nd-3rd season he demands some players to go out as they don't fit his game
e-Most of those players remain at the club and the manager gets the 2nd-3rd choice players that he asked
f- that season proves to be unwatchable. Every player seem to lose his touch, leaks are everywhere, injuries ravage the club and we end up playing tumescent football with a Fellaini/McT upfront

If you go through that list one should ask

a- why every manager we get asks for a revolution? Why bring managers whose style is completely different to the guy preceding him?
b- why no manager trust the DOF?
c- why all our player seem to lose fitness and form 1-2 years after joining us?
d- Why can't we sell players?
e- Why cant we sort one feckin problem at this club?

Im neither ETH in or out. There are valid arguments for both sides of the barricade. All I am saying is that before we take that decision let us hire competent people first. Let's not allow Murtough to choose our next manager!
Some fair points. But what mystifies me is what exactly people think ETH has done to deserve longer. His signings are so bad its almost incomprehensible, Antony being the shining example. The football is awful, and was for much of the second half of last season. We are in process of hiring competent people, but that doesn't mean we cant change the manager.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
ETH signings are not bad.
Martinez is great, Hojlund is great, Casemiro was player of the season, Eriksen is on a free and brings experience that young players can learn from.
Malacia is decent backup and could develop into starter.

Antony has been bad.
Onana is shaky, but nobody saw that coming, did we?
Mount has been injured and we're yet to see what he can offer.

Very far from "so bad it's incomprehensible".

NLunited

Martinez is great, Hojlund is great, Casemiro was player of the season, Eriksen is on a free and brings experience that young players can learn from.

Antony has been bad.

You must be a member of the ETH **** they invented.

AndySmith1990

Antony has been bad.

Yeah OK, £450m well spent

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Overuse of the words '****' and 'fanboys' on here is so cringe when attributed to fans who are alittle more lenient towards ETH currently.

Personally I think he'll be moved on in the summer . Post the Gala away result I've been extremely underwhelmed by his set ups/ tactics and the lack of direction and intensity in our game.

devilish

Some fair points. But what mystifies me is what exactly people think ETH has done to deserve longer. His signings are so bad its almost incomprehensible, Antony being the shining example. The football is awful, and was for much of the second half of last season. We are in process of hiring competent people, but that doesn't mean we cant change the manager.
Antony is a mess that should have never been made. First of all the modern manager is poorly equipped to identify the players that he need. There are sporting directors and head of recruitment for that. The Antony deal is a shining example of that. In typical post SAF managers' fashion we went for a player the manager knew about with no care in the world whether it made financial sense, if there were better available alternatives or if he was in the mental condition to succeed at the club. Regarding football, well, that's indeed damning. However its the same style of football the likes of Mourinho, Ole, Rangnick and now ETH has been reduced to playing. So I believe that the issue here is far bigger than that of the manager which include

a- poor fitness levels (ie fitness team)
b- squad that is not built for the modern game style (DOF, Scouts and head of recruitment fault)
c- poor motivation (manager is partly at fault, there again all manager's post Fergie failed in that too)

There are areas that are directly related to ETH of course. For example his obsession in playing 2 no 10s in CM (Eriksen/Mount with Fernandes). That's a tactical flaw and tactics are solely the manager's domain. His inability to switch to a plan B or change his style to better suit the game. This is not the treble side. Therefore we simply can't go to places like Emptyhad and play a high press else we'll be skinned alive. That suggest a one dimensional manager. His stubbornness in treating the likes of Onana/Antony with kid gloves. Sure they are his players and that's a problem but managers should put the club ahead of the manager's political power. Then there's of course the biggest no no of all ie his insistence in retaining the veto on transfers. If that's true then he should be shown the door.

Ultimately I won't lose any sleep irrespective on whether ETH stays or goes. All I ask is that competent people decide his fate and the next manager

Gordon Godot

Antony is a mess that should have never been made. First of all the modern manager is poorly equipped to identify the players that he need. There are sporting directors and head of recruitment for that. The Antony deal is a shining example of that. In typical post SAF managers' fashion we went for a player the manager knew about with no care in the world whether it made financial sense, if there were better available alternatives or if he was in the mental condition to succeed at the club. Regarding football, well, that's indeed damning. However its the same style of football the likes of Mourinho, Ole, Rangnick and now ETH has been reduced to playing. So I believe that the issue here is far bigger than that of the manager which include

a- poor fitness levels (ie fitness team)
b- squad that is not built for the modern game style (DOF, Scouts and head of recruitment fault)
c- poor motivation (manager is partly at fault, there again all manager's post Fergie failed in that too)

There are areas that are directly related to ETH of course. For example his obsession in playing 2 no 10s in CM (Eriksen/Mount with Fernandes). That's a tactical flaw and tactics are solely the manager's domain. His inability to switch to a plan B or change his style to better suit the game. This is not the treble side. Therefore we simply can't go to places like Emptyhad and play a high press else we'll be skinned alive. That suggest a one dimensional manager. His stubbornness in treating the likes of Onana/Antony with kid gloves. Sure they are his players and that's a problem but managers should put the club ahead of the manager's political power. Then there's of course the biggest no no of all ie his insistence in retaining the veto on transfers. If that's true then he should be shown the door.

Ultimately I won't lose any sleep irrespective on whether ETH stays or goes. All I ask is that competent people decide his fate and the next manager
I think the football is far worse than we saw under Ole, Mou was just dull and not sure Rangnick really counts. Also, why are Ole and a toxic, found out Mourinho the bar for performance? Ole was never qualified for the job, and Mourinho should never have been let near the club. Just because Woodward made a series of terrible appointments doesnt mean we cant do far better.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was pretty much a universal opinion amongst United fans that they were the issue and were the ones leaking stuff also. Possibly others too, but I don't ever remember anybody mentioning any of the current players as the ones that were an issue. I'll stand corrected if you can name players that people have said has a bad attitude and are an issue, which have been here since Ole etc? The only one I'd personally say (and I've been in the minority on this for a long time until recently) is Rashford, but he gets picked every week and seems untouchable for ETH. Surely he isn't that bad a judge in character? Although I suppose he did try to sign Arnautovic, tried to bring Greenwood back and signed Antony...
Rashford gets picked every week? Not sure if you've watched us much this season. He had a spell out and dropped.

Anway, there are still a few players floating around be it Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Sancho, Martial, Rashford.

Fans don't get to decide who the leaks are. The only obvious one was Lingard.

Telsim

We've not played a game in what feels like an age, and the second half of the season is not far off now, but there's hardly any enthusiasm or belief nor anticipation for the return of matches.

It's tragic and should never be allowed to happen at a club that believes itself to be a giant.

Don't know where others stand, but for me this is a really pained procession toward the gallows for him and there's next to nothing to look forward to in the interim.

If he turns it around from here, it'll be the biggest shock I've had in all the campaigns post-Fergie. Belief in him is almost zero.
I agree. I'm visiting this place and keeping up out of habit, but I'm not looking forward to any of our games anymore. With no business whatsoever during this window, it's clear this is yet another written off season. We seem to have had more of those in the past decade than not. Worse, it seems to be the logical choice right now. I'm sure we will grind out some wins, but the football just doesn't warrant watching any of it. It's bleak place to be. I hope he is gone in the summer and a New Era™ to actually begin.

pocco

loco
Rashford gets picked every week? Not sure if you've watched us much this season. He had a spell out and dropped.

Anway, there are still a few players floating around be it Lindelof, Wan Bissaka, Shaw, Sancho, Martial, Rashford.

Fans don't get to decide who the leaks are. The only obvious one was Lingard.
He has been dropped for a handful of games, but used as a sub still frequently, and has played practically every game otherwise (starting the last 4) - does this strike you as a player that the manager thinks is an issue outside of what he's doing on the pitch? He got dropped for form recently, and missed one game for turning up late earlier in the season.

You've just named all the players still here since Ole - do you think by some coincidence they're all the issue? The article said that the players moaning about ETH and his tactics sessions couldn't speak good English, so it is probably none of those players that this info came from - pointing to it probably being an ETH signing.

TheGame

Overuse of the words '****' and 'fanboys' on here is so cringe when attributed to fans who are alittle more lenient towards ETH currently.

Personally I think he'll be moved on in the summer . Post the Gala away result I've been extremely underwhelmed by his set ups/ tactics and the lack of direction and intensity in our game.
Anyone who uses these kind of words is clearly dim as feck.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Players earn right to moan if they are winning trophies and feel like the manager is messing up a winning formula.
I really don't get this line of thinking. If the players see that they will get nowhere close to a winning formula they also have the right to complain. Players like fans want to see progress, and it increasingly feels that EtH is stuck in a loop of trying to get things to work that both fans and players (at least a sizeable amount of them) don't believe will ever work.

devilish

I think the football is far worse than we saw under Ole, Mou was just dull and not sure Rangnick really counts. Also, why are Ole and a toxic, found out Mourinho the bar for performance? Ole was never qualified for the job, and Mourinho should never have been let near the club. Just because Woodward made a series of terrible appointments doesnt mean we cant do far better.
I don't really care about how we're playing at the moment. This squad is a hot potch of different styles, its ravaged with injuries, its evident that the manager had lost part of the dressing room and there's a takeover going on which will lead to a mountain of changes including many players leaving. If I am Sir Brailsford what I would care about is the details. For example

a-how the manager act with his favorites vs the rest?
b- can he switch to a plan B?
c- is he assertive in terms of asking help in areas were he struggles with? (ex transfers)
d- is he a team player?

All of those things will be key for next season. The last thing INEOS would want is for the club to bring let's say 4 good players only for ETH to stick them to the bench because they might make Antony or Onana look bad.

For the record I think ETH will be fired in summer. The fact that he's not being backed in January kind of enforces that

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He has been dropped for a handful of games, but used as a sub still frequently, and has played practically every game otherwise (starting the last 4) - does this strike you as a player that the manager thinks is an issue outside of what he's doing on the pitch? He got dropped for form recently, and missed one game for turning up late earlier in the season.

You've just named all the players still here since Ole - do you think by some coincidence they're all the issue? The article said that the players moaning about ETH and his tactics sessions couldn't speak good English, so it is probably none of those players that this info came from - pointing to it probably being an ETH signing.
Couple things - Rashford being dropped for a while shows he's not starting every game. He's actually come back and scored a couple and assisted one so it's not like he's terrible since returning anyway.

Moreover my point on leaks and bad eggs is that no one actually knows. You said we all agreed on who they were and it made me chuckle because no one had any clue on that.

Do you have the direct athletic link that says this by the way? I still can't find it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I really don't get this line of thinking. If the players see that they will get nowhere close to a winning formula they also have the right to complain. Players like fans want to see progress, and it increasingly feels that EtH is stuck in a loop of trying to get things to work that both fans and players (at least a sizeable amount of them) don't believe will ever work.
That's true although these players were literally in 2 finals last year, winning 1 of them, so they'd be thick as pig shit to have forgotten that trophies are actually achievable with this manager. He needs to figure out why it was working last year and why it isn't this year and quickly.