Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Juicy Juiced

Why on earth not? This season hasn't been great but ETH is still a very respected coach. Did an exceptional job at Ajax and had a good first season with us too. There's also a very strong history of Dutch managers and players at Barca.
They sacked Xavi and he won the League last year.

And Nou Camp would be trilled with "transitional" or what ever the feck football he is trying to implement.

Rista

I don't understand where people get these opinions from and what they're basing it on. How can they predict such things? Because he finished third at United? Because he did well in a shite league? One half decent CL run (where the rest were pretty average)? It's like they can't admit they were wrong and now resort to "one day he'll prove you wrong, somewhere else" type logic. Based on nothing but fantasy.

He'll win the league with Ajax again one day and we'll be getting the "told you so" posts.
It's the equivalent of the "he'll walk" posts. Everything about the club sucks but the manager is the greatest and will be poached by Barca. Totally not a **** though.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's the equivalent of the "he'll walk" posts. Everything about the club sucks but the manager is the greatest and will be poached by Barca. Totally not a **** though.
Yeah, another one of their daft lines. I really want to try and understand the thinking of some of these posters but I just can't. Perhaps they're just doubling down hard on their belief that he was as good as Pep and can't accept that he isn't? I don't get it. It will be interesting to hear their views when he's replacing Xabi Alonso at Leverkusen in the summer, or something along those lines. He's like the Jesse Lingard of managers, all about 'potential' and this unwavering belief that he could be good, even though he's actually older than some of the best and most established managers around, and has none of their accolades.

Zed 101

Why on earth not? This season hasn't been great but ETH is still a very respected coach. Did an exceptional job at Ajax and had a good first season with us too. There's also a very strong history of Dutch managers and players at Barca.
ETH has demonstrated to everyone that he does not have any tactical sense, he has one system and sticks belligerently to it, for him to get a move to Barca, he will need to go somewhere else inbetween, Italy or Germany and rebuild some reputation

erikcred

Yeah, another one of their daft lines. I really want to try and understand the thinking of some of these posters but I just can't. Perhaps they're just doubling down hard on their belief that he was as good as Pep and can't accept that he isn't? I don't get it. It will be interesting to hear their views when he's replacing Xabi Alonso at Leverkusen in the summer, or something along those lines. He's like the Jesse Lingard of managers, all about 'potential' and this unwavering belief that he could be good, even though he's actually older than some of the best and most established managers around, and has none of their accolades.
This is brilliant! :D

RORY65

ETH has demonstrated to everyone that he does not have any tactical sense, he has one system and sticks belligerently to it, for him to get a move to Barca, he will need to go somewhere else inbetween, Italy or Germany and rebuild some reputation
I don't think this is quite the right issue with him, we're playing a different system to how we played last year and at no stage have we played like his Ajax side did (certainly in 2019 when I saw the most of them) so he has implemented different styles. The bigger issue is that the system we're playing this year, as constructed, is doomed to fail which speaks badly of his judgement and his basic comprehension of how to build a team given this was the year that he was meant to start showing his vision rather than last year where he was pragmatic to get results. Plus I think it's hard to succeed at the highest level with such little charisma.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
70 points and good play. 17 matches, point equivalent to 13 victories. Proves the first half of the season was ruined by injuries and playing staff incapable of playing the style for physical and mental reasons outside the control of the manager.

Anything short of that and it's bye bye. He has his team back, shipped people off and he's had time to implement his style. This is where it turns around completely, or he's gone.
I’m not even convinced I’d trust him then. What if we get a couple of injuries early next year and just revert to what we had been for the first half of this year?

He’d probably not deserve a sack if we went on a title winning form not but I’d still consider his position far from secure.

Sarni

:lol:

Well said. He had not really been linked with any top jobs before United, and was rejected by Spurs because they thought he lacked charisma. I struggle to believe that this much glorified League Cup win has suddenly elevated him to the very top and got him on Bayern, Barcelona wish lists.

RedRocket9908

Perhaps they're just doubling down hard on their belief that he was as good as Pep and can't accept that he isn't?
How can you possibly compare him to Pep when their careers and completely different, Erik has never been given the job at an Oil club with an unlimited budget, the best club in Spain with a squad full of world class players and a hige budget, or the reigning Champions of Germany and Europe who are already dominating domestically with by far the best squad and biggest budget in tbe country.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
:lol:

Well said. He had not really been linked with any top jobs before United, and was rejected by Spurs because they thought he lacked charisma. I struggle to believe that this much glorified League Cup win has suddenly elevated him to the very top and got him on Bayern, Barcelona wish lists.
Actually he is said to have been on Bayern's shortlist multiple times already (not surprising after he worked there well with their U23), but they decided against him every time (last time when they opted to bring Nagelsmann in). So he was linked to the Bayern jobs in earlier years, but not recently.

Sarni

How can you possibly compare him to Pep when their careers and completely different, Erik has never been given the job at an Oil club with an unlimited budget, the best club in Spain with a squad full of world class players and a hige budget, or the reigning Champions of Germany and Europe who are already dominating domestically with by far the best squad and biggest budget in tbe country.
Yes, the only difference between them is Pep has had it very easy and ETH has had it super tough.

Laurencio

I’m not even convinced I’d trust him then. What if we get a couple of injuries early next year and just revert to what we had been for the first half of this year?

He’d probably not deserve a sack if we went on a title winning form not but I’d still consider his position far from secure.
I think in that highly unlikely scenario of him turning this around to that extent, he will have exposed the squad weaknesses so thoroughly that it would be negligent not to ensure that recruitment solved these issues. I would expect a significant turn-over in players in the summer if this were to happen - recruiting at least 6 players, if not more.

If our first XI is capable of a title run, but a single injury to any one position drops our quality down to lower PL level, then we don't need 100M star signings, we need competent backups. It would show that recruitment done at the club by the hierarchy over the past 5 years has completely destroyed the squad and we need to focus on depth first. If this season's signings, Onana, Hojlund and Mount start to perform, it becomes obvious that the issue is a lack of quality in depth.

It would not necessarily surprise me if the conclusion to this season is that Dalot, Evans, Maguire, Lindelof, Hannibal, McT, Martial, Eriksen, Amrabat, Diallo, Pellistri, and the kids aren't actually good enough for this level. It's also fairly obvious that Mainoo, Hojlund and Garnacho all have potential, but they clearly aren't the finished article just yet.

I think there's more wrong about Ten Hag and his management than just that, but let's see how this unfolds. I fully expect him to be sacked at the end of the season tbh.

chocolate cloud

There's pressure on Thursday vs Wolves where his "strongest" team will be available for selection:

Onana

Dalot
Varane
Martinez
Shaw

Casemiro
Mainoo

Antony (not sure if he's part of the strongest team)
Bruno
Rashford

Hojlund

With Garnacho (was horrendous vs Newport), Amad, McTominay, Eriksen, Maguire off the bench.

Not sure how long Mount will take to recover or where he fits in the team.

If we get beat and lose badly which, I wouldn't be surprised at, with Ten Hag's suicidal tactics of 4141, the midfield wide open, Rashford doing sweet FA and we'll probably concede within 90 seconds of the second half starting, what will Ten Hag blame then?

Maticmaker

When you think of the range of managers we have tried since SAF, the old hands, the past winners, the young hopeful, and even the consultant/manager, we now have ETH, who has shown plenty of promise but as yet only 1 cigar!

The problem we all know is the club itself, thankfully with Omar's appointment we have moved in the right direction. There is simply no sense in changing the manager until all the other places/issues in and around the club structure, where Omar needs to work his magic, have been nailed down.

Yes, of course its going to take time... but that is all we've got. With a football club that has a past that has both a tragic and a uniquely successful footballing history as we have, that has the presence of a 'Goliath' in the world wide media, where every blemish, ever mis-kick, and every player lives in a gold-fish bowl, such a club, which has had two 'Sirs' in the role of manager, is never going quietly away.

We do have the time to get it right, so lets start doing it. ETH should stay until the behind the scenes overhaul is complete, then the decision can be made with due diligence.

tomaldinho1

There's enough players back now that I think we have to start seeing change. There are still massive issues in this squad but the injury crisis has eased and I think we can effectively field our first choice XI now:

---------------------Onana -------------------
AWB ---- Maguire -- Licha ---- Shaw
---------------------- Case -------------------
----------- Bruno --------- Mainoo --------
Antony ------------------------- Garnacho
--------------------- Hojlund ------------------

If we're still just playing whack a mole long balls with this team starting, I don't think Ineos will wait long to replace him. Despite the obvious deficiencies in that team, it should be able to play possession based football with a somewhat ok fixture list (Wolves, WHUM, Villa, Luton, Fulham are the next games)

erikcred

We do have the time to get it right, so lets start doing it. ETH should stay until the behind the scenes overhaul is complete, then the decision can be made with due diligence.
The overhaul can (and should, imo) happen in parallel with the hiring of a new manager. Otherwise, there's a danger of another season getting unnecessarily written off.

If City win the league this season, they'll be struggling for motivation a bit. Pep may even leave. Liverpool will definitely need a season to steady the ship. I'd hate it if Arsenal get a free run at the title because we're focussed only on overhauling the behind the scenes team. Not to mention Chelsea are probably one Osimhen away from being back in the title conversation.

Blood Mage

I don't disagree with you but I'm not sure the structural issues can be fixed with different personnel.

Look at the passing network
Indefensible, nonsensical tactics that no doubt leave our players as confused as we are. Roy Hodgson would have this team performing better right now.

It's also amusing that anyone thinks that ETH is ever walking into a big job again after this debacle.

gaffs

The Rashford incident is telling. What does is say about the the manager that a player can think its ok to go out on the piss and call in sick. To me, that shows that the Rashford and possibly others know that Ten hag wont be at the club long.

Ten Hag has come in as a disciplinarian, yet disciple seems to be worse than ever.

Tap

Looking at his purchases, ETH will only fill up the oil clubs with more expensive flops than what he has done here.

ManRed

I am all for backing the manager and was very excited for ETH appointment but I fail to see his achievements on the field and off it in the last 18 months. No structure of play, we still cant control games, lack of discipline through out, poor signings. I am surprised people still want him to stay. We need a change quick and I ok to wait till the summer.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The matter is closed now so I can see some value in just bringing him back on the bench to nip it in the bud
Implies zero standards and you can do what you want. Seems to be the case anyway with what Rashford has been up to and Sancho being a shambles, players liking tweets when they aren’t selected etc. Free for all devoid of leadership.

bosskeano

sorry but i don't want to see any more of Antony and his one footed hop dribbling....ffs lad we all know you want to go left so stop acting like you will go right with the stupid hopping on one foot

just run at someone one time at full pace, drop a shoulder and go past the defender

two biggest mistakes EtH made was signing Antony and Mount simply because neither fit the need of the squad and cost big money

Jordan_mufc

The Rashford incident is telling. What does is say about the the manager that a player can think its ok to go out on the piss and call in sick. To me, that shows that the Rashford and possibly others know that Ten hag wont be at the club long.

Ten Hag has come in as a disciplinarian, yet disciple seems to be worse than ever.
I don't think that's fair to put it on Ten Hag. I think, if anything, he is doing a good job in showing up the players that shouldn't be anywhere near a club like United. Ronaldo (plying his trade in Saudi), Sancho (stinking attitude at 3 clubs now), Rashford (been awful for 3 of the last 4 years, sulks) and Martial (stealing a living), seem to be the main casualties. And I'm happy with that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

That's certainly not a fault of Ten Hag. You actually don't know how bad the discipline was prior to him because rules went out the window. Lets just say Rangnick dropping Rashford for Elanga makes a lot more sense now than it did before.

Worth highlighting under Ole there was chronic ill discipline. He just wanted to be their mates for the most part.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Honestly, he's not anywhere near Pep's level. That argument is dead and buried.

ColvaleGoa

By End of February we will know wether EtH will be here next season.

It look a pretty bleak for him. The players have put another manager under the bus. Rashford ,Sancho etc .

Don't know what Ineos can do from here.

Maticmaker

The overhaul can (and should, imo) happen in parallel with the hiring of a new manager.
If, you want the same mismatch of ideals and structure, if you want the new guy to be roasted on the same fires that saw off the previous managers, if you want another 'ba**s up then yes go ahead. We need to find the 'way out' first, before we bring anyone else in as manager.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

It look a pretty bleak for him. The players have put another manager under the bus. Rashford ,Sancho etc .

I'm certain he will be relieved of his duties in the summer.

RedRocket9908

We dont actually know Pep's level since the only 3 jobs he has had have been jobs where any decent manager would have been succesful, some probably more successful.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It definitely is. If he was near Pep, Bayern would have made him Pep's successor and he would have gotten a chance for a similar career (managing the reserves of an elite club first, then taking over the first team). He was in the position to make himself front runner for that, and while he was good, he wasn't good enough to get that job. Granted I believe there would have been one year gap for EtH between him leaving Bayern and Pep, but that would be a minor detail.

Rista

sorry but i don't want to see any more of Antony and his one footed hop dribbling....ffs lad we all know you want to go left so stop acting like you will go right with the stupid hopping on one foot

just run at someone one time at full pace, drop a shoulder and go past the defender

two biggest mistakes EtH made was signing Antony and Mount simply because neither fit the need of the squad and cost big money
The Antony signing is far worse than that. It's not really that he doesn't fit the squad, it's that his level is a million miles off what's required for this league. ETH approved the transfer for ridiculous money AND he worked with him before. Onana is shite as well. Did he really underestimate the league that much or he's just a bit clueless? Neither is good.

We dont actually know Pep's level since the only 3 jobs he has had have been jobs where any decent manager would have been succesful, some probably more successful.
You mean like United where any decent manager would have had at least some success in the last decade, right? Such an easy job.

crossy1686

career ending

If he was good they'd just back him, but they're not going to, while moving players on at the same time, which tells you everything you need to know.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

Regardless of what happens with Ten Hag, I hope Rashford isn’t at the club for long either.

Laurencio

He's played one full match since joining us. It's a bit premature to judge him as a signing.

He was recovering from a pelvis injury when he joined us. Picked up a hamstring injury in September, was picking up pace with increased minutes in early October, niggling issues became apparent shortly after, played with issues in late October, and then a confirmed calf injury in November.

The man has quite literally been fit for one game.