Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

redcucumber

Ole would have won the league cup if he got a run as piss easy as last season's tbf
Are Newcastle and Brighton worse than Villarreal? Cos Ole completely dropped a bollock when he had a chance to win a trophy.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think he’s starting to turn things around. it’s ten hag’s first successful transfer window without wasting any money.

Longshanks

It's OK if ETH does it! I honestly don't think last season's football was much different to Ole's aside from a bit more pressing.
We were generally deeper, more pragmatic and more direct than we were under Ole. But with a more organised high press rather than Oles mid press.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The first Mourinho season was mostly awful. It was great to win the trophies but the journey getting there wasn't particularly great.

The start of the second season was fantastic until the Liverpool away 0-0 when we seemed to lose all momentum and it was all downhill from there really. The Sevilla game and Chelsea cup final were proper grim to watch.
The first couple of months under Jose was good interms of the type of football we played, we just lacked a cutting edge.
But the football we played there on was pretty poor. The 2nd season wasn't too dissimilar. Started of OK, looked pragmatic but balanced and as the season was drawing to a close the brand of football was dire.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Van Gaal never reached the lows that ten Hag has, his away record against big teams wasn't that bad and he at least managed to finish 4th and 5th.

It's likely ten Hag could have us finish outside the top 6, his away record is poor and we've been thrashed in a few games. Ten Hag's football hasn't been as boring but it has been utterly flaccid at times.
4-0 to MK Dons, embarrassed over two legs against a shite Liverpool side in the EL and his football was the worst I've seen at United. I can't put him ahead of ten Hag.

erikcred

4-0 to MK Dons, embarrassed over two legs against a shite Liverpool side in the EL and his football was the worst I've seen at United. I can't put him ahead of ten Hag.
Sure, but ETH has produced *gestures broadly at everything*.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I mean we got thrashed by a shit Liverpool side and MK Dons was only a couple of weeks into his reign and it was mostly second string

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He got knocked out by West Ham in the first round in his last season.
His last season was a complete mess and to be fair we didn't even play a team anywhere near West Ham quality until the final last year anyway.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
They left him for dead in January.
Needs a big spring by many players to keep his job.

Can see him pulling off FA win.
Also can see him sacked by April.

All up to players now.

Overhaul FC

I think Ten Hags kinda fortunate that INEOS first want to appoint a sporting director and head of recruitment before addressing the manager situation.

I'm sure they'd much rather look at a new manager when the new CEO, sporting director and head of recruitment can all work together on who they want to manage/coach the team.

It will be very interesting to see the style of football and footballers they want when in place. Considering the Berrada appointment and his history of City and Barca, you can't really see him going for anything but a Pep style manager with the model of adding one or two star players each season.

I could get on board with that. All we have to do is hope Ten Hag can prove that he is that guy or nail down the next Pep in the next season or two, if or when Ten Hag falls short.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Two embarrassing results. His football was boring in that second season, but at least we were hardly, if ever, dominated away and at home like we are under ETH.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
We're ranking post SAF managers from least shit to most shit. Let's be honest none of them have been good enough.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I absolutely agree.

In fact, improving the level of his English is a very serious challenge that he needs to address fully. I feel like many of the negative situations could have been handled more conclusively if he had Pep and Klopps near fluency in the English language.

It is still plaguing him to this day. In fact, the whole "Best transition team" talking point is because of the language he chose, where he later cleared it up and said he does want us to play from the back fully and to dominate possession, but ALSO be the best transition team. Liverpool were all those things under Klopp.

I have realised though, ten Hag is improving pretty quickly. He also has to work on the accent and the little sounds he makes in between stuff. Not just for interactions with the players, but in the press too, in interviews, etc..

I think De Zerbi will suffer the same thing, but far worse, at a "bigger" club like us or Liverpool. It does not help Poch either, and didn't with Conte. It seems mastering the English language is simply a big requirement for consistent success.
I don't think it had anything to do with his English skills. He made something public that probably should not have been. Had Sancho held his counsel or was more diplomatic in his statement, it could have backfired massively on ETH. Instead, it was a situation ETH was able to escape from relatively unharmed, because Sancho is a moron. But it was ETH who started it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They left him for dead in January.
Needs a big spring by many players to keep his job.

Can see him pulling off FA win.
Also can see him sacked by April.

All up to players now.
They did not. He did it.

el3mel

Pep’s CL record is underwhelming overall though, he has always had one of the best 2-3 squads in Europe and should have achieved more. He got 2 of those finals and wins back at Barcelona during the first 3 years of his career and then it’s 2 finals and 1 win after that, while he was managing Bayern team that just won the treble and City team with possible the most resources of all European clubs where he had already inherited a good team.

This obviously doesn’t make ETH v Pep comparisons any less ridiculous though. They don’t belong in the same category. If you want managers to compare ETH with in Premier League or the fringes then it’s Hodgson, Nuno, Rodgers, Silva, Moyes etc., they are of the level where you can have a meaningful discussion about who’s better.
It's a KO tournament including best teams in Europe. His teams have reached semi final or final in all but 4 seasons of these 16 years. 4 finals and 3 wins, 2nd most ever after Ancelotti. That means he reached the final in quarter of his participation times in the tournament. It's a brilliant record. This is a very difficulty tournament to compete in or even win. Most managers win it once or twice at most. Winning it once is considered a great achievement.

I think Pep is a victim of his own ridiculous success at Barcelona when he started his career. The expectations from him is over the top in comparison to other managers who managed the exact same teams.

DSG

I think if we lose today, ETH will be sacked…

We will have a cash injection this summer, meaning a loss of up to 100m pounds still means we would avoid FFP sanctions.

‘Somehow getting into the CL spots (we’re 11 adrift now) or even Europa would help with the squad revamp.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I believe ETH is done. New owners coming in, we spent nothing in January even though we had sold/sent on loan half of the academy and we're having players from different groups (Rashford, Sancho, Pellistri etc) acting out.

duckers

I'm as frustrated as most other United fans in this forum. Watching them this year the wheels have well and truly fallen off from any momentum that was created from the results of last year, finishing in the Champions League spot and the cup win. I didn't ever expect to feel so disappointed watching them stumble throughout each game this year. I find it a very difficult watch this year and with ETH reluctance to change his formation or the way he has set up during a game I'm going to see how the next few weeks go before losing all faith. He has a good squad back and I'm hoping the likes of Shaw, Martinez, Mainoo with Casimero will hopefully help the team moving forward and fill that gaping hole in midfield, but I won't be holding my breath. A performance tonight is all I'm looking and will silently be hoping for the win like every game I ever watch.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
i find this rose tinted view of Jose strange. Some of the worst and dullest football I ever saw was under Jose, he used to go ultra defensive with 2 holding players against even low placed teams, and still at times lose. He lost the plot after board refused to buy Maguire, remember next game he started McT at center back (he was bad), which was a real 2 fingers to Woodward. Woodward too dumb to even realise. He's also just a nasty, toxic manager. Chartlon was right, should never have been anywhere near United. We can and should do much,, much better.
People are so desperate for change now that they are happy to change back to something that also didn't particularly work.

wimdebok

Supports
Ajax
I don't think sacking ETH will solve the problem of Manchester United. ManUtd has the same problem all the big teams have, the fans are demanding en there's no patience. A club needs a board standing behind the coach en supporting him. The best teams in England are Man City and Liverpool (sorry!), the coaches were given time to build something. Next to a lot of money. I think it took Ferguson some time. Yet another coach for 1 or 2 years won't solve Man Uniteds problems.

ETH was not very lucky this year with injuries.

MJay

So if we win tonight, its 2 out of 2 since the announcement of the new part ownership, and then Omar Berrada. Surely, even for his biggest haters, its worth just giving it a look and giving him a chance. Especially because it's genuinely and literally the first time he can choose what he considers his best team from the day he started.

Believe it or not, the club not being a complete circus anymore will also have a bigger impact on the staff and players than people are accounting for. The mess at the club, accrued in the last 10 years, has had the biggest impact on the slow rotting of the club and the disastrous results, by far.

IMO, nothing, and yes I mean nothing is due to ten Hag, when looking at the overall picture and how got to this point.

Watch the improvement in performance and results, it is my firm belief we will shock many. Like a new manager bounce, but much bouncier. A new club bounce, maybe...

Last edited:

Oranges038

I don't think sacking ETH will solve the problem of Manchester United. ManUtd has the same problem all the big teams have, the fans are demanding en there's no patience. A club needs a board standing behind the coach en supporting him. The best teams in England are Man City and Liverpool (sorry!), the coaches were given time to build something. Next to a lot of money. I think it took Ferguson some time. Yet another coach for 1 or 2 years won't solve Man Uniteds problems.

ETH was not very lucky this year with injuries.
But Ange sorted out Spurs in a few days, Emery sorted out Villa in a couple of weeks and de Zerbi already beat football with Brighton.

ETH has run out of excuses....

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Tonight we are fielding our strongest possible team. 11/11 starters.
Bench has options aswell.

If the performance is dire, there will be no more excuses.

He is against the wall now.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Tonight we are fielding our strongest possible team. 11/11 starters.
Bench has options aswell.

If the performance is dire, there will be no more excuses.
Nah, I reckon this team needs to play together for at least 7 or 8 games to build a proper understanding with each other (haha)

SER19

Im a ten hag fan and I want him to succeed, but a large part of that was because I believed he would never buckle where discipline is concerned. Rashford starting tonight is farcical. I know rashford may well score, but it doesnt prove anything - it's set a precedent now of what will be tolerated. Was he even fined wages? How can he drop another player for something similar in the future? Very disappointed that the ego walks back into the team

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Im a ten hag fan and I want him to succeed, but a large part of that was because I believed he would never buckle where discipline is concerned. Rashford starting tonight is farcical. I know rashford may well score, but it doesnt prove anything - it's set a precedent now of what will be tolerated. Was he even fined wages? How can he drop another player for something similar in the future? Very disappointed that the ego walks back into the team
He was fined two weeks of wages.

erikcred

Nah, I reckon this team needs to play together for at least 7 or 8 games to build a proper understanding with each other (haha)
:lol:
We have more games till the end of the season. So it's really whatever that number is.

Irwin99

This half has been actually brilliant :eek:. Hopefully a turning point.

Got to give credit it to him for the Rashford call as I wasn’t expecting him to go back into the first team straight away but he’s been excellent, as has Hojlund.