Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 430 48.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 51.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Chumpsbechumps

Part of the reason is that we have spent so much (sadly without improving the squad much, if at all) that we have little wriggle room left in terms of FFP and PSR. That’s a shared responsibility between ETH and the transfer powers that be. As for the feuds and dramas, the finger is partly pointing at ETH as it seems some of it is a result of direct conflicts between him and his players, enough so that it’s starting to resemble a pattern.
A manager is not responsible for the spending and they don’t negtiate for players and give out big contracts. If we had a competent Person even on transfers , we’d not be worried about FFP.

A managers primary job is to coach. A clubs primary job is to create an environment (that includes squad building) for the manager/players to succeed.

Jev

A manager is not responsible for the spending and they don’t negtiate for players and give out big contracts. If we had a competent Person even on transfers , we’d not be worried about FFP.

A managers primary job is to coach. A clubs primary job is to create an environment (that includes squad building) for the manager/players to succeed.
Well, ETH has been at least partially responsible for identifying targets and squad building, and has directly requested such responsibility, and therefore deserves to face criticism for that part of his job, which has been less than impressive.

VWW

I couldnt vote. I need to give him until the last match to decide. I feel like passing judgement now is like when Woodward prematurely gave Ole that contract before the season was over.

Chumpsbechumps

Well, ETH has been at least partially responsible for identifying targets and squad building, and has directly requested such responsibility, and therefore deserves to face criticism for that part of his job, which has been less than impressive.
Im looking beyond that, why are United consistently a mess at transfers, overpaying and still ending up with disjointed squads since 2013? And why hasn’t anybody at the club changed how we had been squad building ? A manager can’t empower themselves to pick signings etc, only the club can give them that power.

Asides from that, I don’t believe every signings made were necessarily planned or top priorities. I also think we’ve overpaid quite often because of timing and poor negotiating.

ETH was definitely involved in transfers but I’d love to see all the other options we didn’t get or were missed out on. I don’t think every signing made is necessarily one the managers wanted, quite often they were just ones he club could get.

It’s not even that Klopp, for example, always got who he wanted , but there was always a logic to the structure and some cheques and balances. Klopp wants Brandt, club intervenes and they both agree Salah is a better option.

Klopp collaborated with Pool who have had a consistently successful record in the transfer market. United have a consistently awful record in the market under every manager since SAF. That, to me, is a club thing that needs to be fixed regardless of manager.

Jev

Im looking beyond that, why are United consistently a mess at transfers, overpaying and still ending up with disjointed squads since 2013? And why hasn’t anybody at the club changed how we had been squad building ? A manager can’t empower themselves to pick signings etc, only the club can give them that power.

Asides from that, I don’t believe every signings made were necessarily planned or top priorities. I also think we’ve overpaid quite often because of timing and poor negotiating.

ETH was definitely involved in transfers but I’d love to see all the other options we didn’t get or were missed out on. I don’t think every signing made is necessarily one the managers wanted, quite often they were just ones he club could get.

It’s not even that Klopp, for example, always got who he wanted , but there was always a logic to the structure and some cheques and balances. Klopp wants Brandt, club intervenes and they both agree Salah is a better option.

Klopp collaborated with Pool who have had a consistently successful record in the transfer market. United have a consistently awful record in the market under every manager since SAF. That, to me, is a club thing that needs to be fixed regardless of manager.
Absolutely. Who’s disputing that, though? Have you seen any poster suggest that all of our problems will vanish if ETH is sacked?

Chumpsbechumps

h
Absolutely. Who’s disputing that, though? Have you seen any poster suggest all our problems will parish if ETH is sacked?
I see posters not making a reasonable connection in how this dysfunctional setup could undermine our manager and our squad on a compounded basis over a decade.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
With all due respect, I have no idea who you are, and have no recollection of crossing paths with you before this discussion. I'm also not sure you know what a "strawman" is.

As for how you've tied yourself in knots:
  • You argued that van Gaal had Netherlands playing the same way as he had United playing, just with success, except they weren't playing like that at all, and in their most successful performances were out-possessed (sometimes heavily) and were prolific in front of goal, almost the polar opposite of how he had United playing.
  • You argued that a reasonably successful stint with a national team and a Bundesliga win (that was immediately followed by a sacking) five years prior to his appointment was somehow evidence of him being good enough to manage Manchester United, but then either refused to ackowledge or outright accepted that other, clearly not good enough managers that achieved club success five years ago and other clearly not good enough managers that have done well with national sides, were in fact, clearly not good enough to manage Manchester United.
  • You have, on multiple occasions now, mentioned van Gaal not having a creative outlet, as if that is somehow some evidence that he'd have liked Bruno, ignoring that he bought and sold Di Maria, as well as shipping out Nani, Kagawa, Januzaj and Zaha, who were all potential "creative outlets", while retaining Rooney, Carrick and Mata. He also oversaw the departures of Evra, Rafael, Hernandez, Welbeck and van Persie, who very much fit the description of "risk takers" to some degree.
  • You framed van Gaal's transfers and squad as being solely down to the club, especially where he missed out on first choice targets like a prohibitively expensive Neymar, but remain steadfast that Ten Hag has not been similarly let down by the club being unable to sign, among others, Min-Jae, de Jong, and Kane.
  • You have, on multiple occasions now, banged on about me saying something about van Gaal and dribblers. This is the first and only time I mentioned "dribblers" or "dribbling":

I also followed it up with this acknowledgement:

So speaking of "strawman" arguments, it looks like we've found one. Particularly as "he didn't sign Neymar" and he likes "dribblers" are about the only examples of "risk" you can acknowledge van Gaal was amenable to, when Bruno, the player you are adamant he would have liked, is not remotely known for his dribbling prowess. Again, I acknowledged he might have found a place for Bruno, but it wouldn't have been in the midfield, and would have been on the wing, in a similar role to the one he gave Mata. I will also point out that just as some posters agreed with you that he might have found a use for Bruno, some also agreed with me in that he'd have hated him. I actually think both are true. He'd have hated him, but shoved him out wide as he'd have been one of very few sparks of genius we relied upon to create a goalscoring opportunity.

• Finally, you've tied yourself in knots because despite your claims of "playing devil's advocate" and "not being able to stand van Gaal", you have repeatedly argued for van Gaal being anything but a disappointment during his spell here, all to compound the point that Ten Hag has been equally (if not more) disappointing this season. A point that required absolutely no comparison to van Gaal to be made or agreed with.

I don't know what more you want in terms of "sources" when we know he fell out with Di Maria and Herrera over criticisms of their apparent "risk taking", Rafael has literally written in the Da Silva's autobiography about his criticisms and bollockings about "risk taking" and he sold or loaned out basically any player that fit the description of "risk taker", including one he'd signed himself the season before.

You're entitled to your view that van Gaal would have found a use for Bruno, but I think all of the evidence we saw from van Gaal and how he treated players of that sort of style is enough for me to also hold the view that van Gaal would either of tried to turn him into basically an entirely different player, or simply not have a space for him in the squad. Your vociferous arguing for the virtues of a clearly past-his-best Louis van Gaal have reached laughable levels.
I remember you for the wrong reasons, so I wouldn't take too much joy from it. I know what a strawman is, but I'm thinking maybe you don't or are just lacking in any self awareness. Or simply just value your opinion more than I do. You have made a few, such as saying that I claimed LVG being sacked by Bayern was a sign he would be successful here. For one, I never said anything of the sort. But I also never said I thought LVG would be successful, even if I do believe Bruno would have been a good influence on the football he had us playing, as it was that boring.

Re point 1: I pointed out that he did outpossess some teams for Netherlands. But this was all a futile argument as, as I mentioned, there are no time limits in football on what you can coach. As I said, Pep has successfully coached his role for over 10 years, Fergie for 27 years. I could go on. But the biggest issue with your argument is that you were talking about success in terms of trophies, whilst I said he had showed he can make it work at the top level. You are trying to claim that a) he was a strict, safe possession coach in one breath, then using an example from weeks earlier where he didn't always adopt those principles. A bit of a contradiction there. I pointed out the games he did dominate possession with Netherlands, against decent sides too.

Re point 2: again, you're just talking horse shit again. I never refused to acknowledge that other managers, with success 5 years ago, weren't good enough for United. I said Poch is managing a top team and Valverde is still a good manager. Somebody else mentioned to you that he actually won a trophy just 2 weeks ago. I mentioned that there were posters just last week saying he's a good option for us. You then tried to create a fast argument by asking if I wanted Southgate, which is ridiculously irrelevant, and I obviously said no. But I pointed out other national team coaches that I do like. You need to try harder than to just try and make shit up, Alex.

Re point 3: not sure actually what your point is. He did want some risk takers? He didn't want others? This all ignores the slightly big elephant in the room of the point that most of these players he got rid of were past their best (apart from Evra I'd say, but i vaguely remember there were other family reasons for him leaving), but that's another conversation that I would rather stick needles in my eyes than have with you.

Re point 4: I simply believe that, like other coaches, he was obviously let down by recruitment and I've outlined why. I think the players we've signed ETH have seemingly been high up his list and he's said himself he has more control than previous managers, something he requested to even take the job. Probably after seeing what happened under LVG, Ole, Jose etc. Whilst he didn't get these 3 players, I do believe the others were high on the list, and he was in the middle of our whole transfer strategy, along with his agent. Thankfully he wasn't allowed the likes of Brobbey or fecking Arnautovic.

Re point 5: OK, so you mentioned dribbling, and I followed up on that point. Well done. He's had other creative outlets in his teams in the past, and played Sneijder for Netherlands just weeks before coming here, he gave a chance to a young Xavi and Iniesta at Barca. You started out by saying "he would have hated Bruno" to finally admitting he would have played him. At least we're getting there now.

Re point 6: as I keep saying, I'm not trying to claim him to be anything more than he was. He was boring, I recognise every single point you make. But, as I keep mentioning, my original point was simply that he may have benefitted from having Bruno. That's all my point was. You're vigor in trying to pull me into different debates keeps me going because I'm not going to just give in to your bullshit. I have zero skin in this game. If anybody ever mentions LVG to me, I always respond accordingly as to how shit it all was. But your incessant need to debate such a basic point is keeping me going.

Re point 7: I think you're missing the nuance of the risk taking argument. He fell out with Di Maria over mistakes and carelessness, but he signed him for his dribbling ability. Are you trying to now claim that dribbling is a risk free approach in football? Neymar, another player he apparently wanted to sign, according to the man himself, plays risky passes as well as dribbling in dangerous situations. Yes he's a different player to Bruno, but it's a relevant example of risk he wanted as this is a player he wanted to add to his United team. And he didn't sell all his risk takers, because he kept Martial and allowed him freedom to run at players. The one highlight of his time here, for me.

Re the final paragraph, I've covered most of this already. It would be a guessing game as to where he'd have played Bruno, but he played various systems here so I don't think it would have been as clear cut as out wide or nothing. It would depend on the system he went with. I think he'd have played though, as he played Rooney in midfield, who functioned a lot like Bruno but, in all honesty, probably not as good at that point in his career or in that position. But he liked to look for long balls to stretch play, or to set counters.

hobbers

Nice to see "only" 1 in 4 are happy with pissing away another season for no reason.

Jev

h

I see posters not making a reasonable connection in how this dysfunctional setup could undermine our manager and our squad on a compounded basis over a decade.
Conversely, I see posters who seemingly think said dysfunctional structure means you can’t reasonably expect anything from Ten Hag, and that he should be absolved of any blame. But in order to absolve him of blame for our transfer dealings, you have to assume he’s like my four-year old daughter feeding us birthday wishes with zero notion of what anything costs, or how much money my wife and I have, or if a trampoline can even fit in her tiny room. And that’s not to mention our tactics and what’s going on in training, the fact that he’s getting less out of the squad than the admittedly modest sum of its parts, showing no progress, only regression.

Max_United

h

Yes, but all the evidence points to the fact that this dysfunctional setup has also been consistently choosing managers that are past it or not good enough. None of them have shown anything to suggest that they were good enough after leaving United.

INEOS (correctly) started at the top, and Murtough is already gone and EtH is next in line to be replaced. He does not have enough of a track record at the top to treat this season as an abomination, and for all the difficulties he encountered we should have done much better, both in terms of results and performances. Had he made it out of CL groups and was lingering 4-5th in the league with good performances mixed with meh and bad ones, hardly anybody would be calling for his head. But we are 7th, out of easy CL group and have overwhelmingly bad performances. It is not good enough regardless of the structure and squad he inherited.

He has been given considerable say over transfers, basically 100% of fans were behind him and only now we are getting some hints that players are losing faith, whilst until recently they were behind him. He had leeway to get rid of the likes of Ronaldo and Sancho with both club and fans also overwhelmingly behind him. In his first season he had the benefit of Rashford having the best season of his career, relatively few injuries, easy Carabao cup draw etc etc. And we had quite good results but performances were not really impressive for the most part (he was correctly given the benefit of the doubt then).
So whereas many things did get bad for him, he also had things that were good for him/conducive to him doing well. I feel that those who advocate giving him another chance also tend to cherry-pick things that went wrong.

We also have evidence that EtH was not first choice for any of the other top clubs with a better structure, and he did not even impress Spurs. So whereas he was not a bad appointment at the time and deserved to have a chance at higher level, it seems that other clubs judged that he is too much of a risk and maybe also benefitted a lot from one of the strongest generations of players in years and good transfers whilst his coaching may be good but not necessarily highest level in top leagues.

In short, I believe that “wait until we are completely sure the manager is not good enough” approach is flawed (and has been unsuccessfully applied by the old structure). The preponderance of evidence in my view points to EtH being a good coach at lower level/more familiar surroundings but is not good enough at PL level, and even with better structure and improved squad we won’t be close to competing for big trophies under him, so it makes total sense to part ways.

And even if he is a genius and everything could click - if players lose faith there can be only one outcome anyway. We are not replacing the entire squad under any structure.

Chumpsbechumps

Conversely, I see posters who seemingly think said dysfunctional structure means you can’t reasonably expect anything from Ten Hag, and that he should be absolved of any blame. But in order to absolve him of blame for our transfer dealings, you have to assume he’s like my four-year old daughter feeding us birthday wishes with zero notion of what anything costs, or how much money my wife and I have, or if a trampoline can even fit in her tiny room. And that’s not to mention our tactics and what’s going on in training, the fact that he’s getting less out of the squad than the admittedly modest sum of its parts, showing no progress, only regression.
I hate this site on my mobile , wrote a response and it crashed and disappeared!!!

I didn’t say you can’t expect anything reasonable from ETH. Nobody is “absolving ETH of any blame”, it’s about trying to figure out what is a fair way to factor in the issues and drama that’s been there since he joined (and indeed before).You need to be able to look at how one interacts with another which it seems a lot of you can’t do because you think it’s “absolving the manager of responsibility”.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

This is true, however, it's a huge worry that he's gotten the players he wanted and THIS is how we play football (unless we still believe you can't play football without De Jong).

Also, he doesn't seem to be very flexible with his approach, so IMO he's definitely not a manager we should have under DoF/any structure dictating transfer policy.

Von Mistelroum

I think it's shocking and quite indicative of how we've come to accept not only mediocrity, but out-and-out rubbish at this club, that so many of our fans are content to see a manager who has failed to make us even look like a football team much of the time, continue at the helm for another season.

I imagine if this was a club with high standards like Madrid, would they consider keeping a manager who routinely gets humiliated or scrapes by poor teams giving away dozens of shots per game? I think such low standards are why we are where we are, and why we'll probably stay there.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think it's shocking and quite indicative of how we've come to accept not only mediocrity, but out-and-out rubbish at this club, that so many of our fans are content to see a manager who has failed to make us even look like a football team much of the time, continue at the helm for another season.

I imagine if this was a club with high standards like Madrid, would they consider keeping a manager who routinely gets humiliated or scrapes by poor teams giving away dozens of shots per game? I think such low standards are why we are where we are, and why we'll probably stay there.
Madrid buy extremely well which is why they are where they are.

If Ten Hag can manage to win the FA Cup I'm not sacking him, if we're knocked out by Coventry he can feck off, if we put in a credible performance in the final and lose then meh, probably sack him but not bothered.

Revan

Assumptionman
That poll got autocorrected to me to 'Are you willing to watch United for another full season of horror'. This is the worst we have ever been, I hope we do not continue this madness.

I genuinely think that Rangnick's United was quite better.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
In isolation you maybe right but why do United keep having to make these kind of signings ?

Amrabat, Reguillon, Evans , Weghorst , Erikson , Sabitzer and Debravka. 7 patchwork signings in less then 2 seasons.

Ronaldo , Anthony , Greenwood and Rashford high profile dramas.

United’s away jersey should have the words “why always me” ….
Because we've been run horribly. We knew what our financials were like when summers of 2022 and 2023 started, we knew we would either be able to get a select few high-profile signings while not addressing overall squad depth/lack of quality issues, or we could have gone about things in a more structured way and try to get more players in. We opted for a small amount of high profile signings, some of which were the type of signing you make if you are 1-2 players away from contending (e.g. Casemiro) that are going to make themselves pretty irrelevant very soon.

Whether there's any ETH participation here I don't know. Some will say he was unaware about our financials or would not have known how much we were going to pay for Antony, Mount, Onana etc., some will say he got blindsided by Casemiro signings, we don't actually know any of that. The fact is our transfer policy is what led to us having to take hits on those cheap punts.

Apokalips

Madrid buy extremely well which is why they are where they are.

If Ten Hag can manage to win the FA Cup I'm not sacking him, if we're knocked out by Coventry he can feck off, if we put in a credible performance in the final and lose then meh, probably sack him but not bothered.
They are also swift at getting rid of coaches and players who do not meet their standards. That swiftness stops malaise setting in and standards across the board dropping. They are far from perfect, but they aggressively pursue success, whereas we have fans and a board (previously) that live by hope and faith that time will turn things around. More is lost through indecision than the wrong decision and our indecision in getting rid of coaches through their horrendous periods has cost us a lot. An FA Cup win in an awful season should not be enough, the day to day is where we need to be seeing quality and progression, not winning a knockout cup competition. The FA Cup should be a cherry on top of a decent cake, not a cherry placed on a smashed cake.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hate this site on my mobile , wrote a response and it crashed and disappeared!!!

I didn’t say you can’t expect anything reasonable from ETH. Nobody is “absolving ETH of any blame”, it’s about trying to figure out what is a fair way to factor in the issues and drama that’s been there since he joined (and indeed before).You need to be able to look at how one interacts with another which it seems a lot of you can’t do because you think it’s “absolving the manager of responsibility”.
The issue for me is that you are trying to force a correlation that isn't there. Our main issues this season are on the field and about tactical decisions. We had these issues during preseason and they have not been fixed by the head coach. Most clubs do not change their squad during the season, most clubs have imperfect squads and also deal with injuries but most decent head coaches find ways to fix glaring issues or mitigate them. That's by far the main issue this season, our head coach isn't performing the way you would expect any decent(not great) head coach would.

Now when it comes to reaching an elite level, the club absolutely need to also improve its structure and that improvement would include expecting significantly more from the head coach/manager when it comes to on-field performances of the team and individual players.

Edit: Also on paper who has the better team? Manchester United, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Copenhage or Galatasaray? Who was seen as the better squad in August?

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They are also swift at getting rid of coaches and players who do not meet their standards. That swiftness stops malaise setting in and standards across the board dropping. They are far from perfect, but they aggressively pursue success, whereas we have fans and a board (previously) that live by hope and faith that time will turn things around. More is lost through indecision than the wrong decision and our indecision in getting rid of coaches through their horrendous periods has cost us a lot. An FA Cup win in an awful season should not be enough, the day to day is where we need to be seeing quality and progression, not winning a knockout cup competition. The FA Cup should be a cherry on top of a decent cake, not a cherry placed on a smashed cake.
I don't agree, our squad is pretty shite, and some of our players are still bottlers or knobheads or both (a lot fewer though thankfully). A cup win would be a good achievement. Getting rid of players / coaches ruthlessly is only your best strategy if you're capable of getting better ones in to replace them.

Right now, our purchasing power is feck all thanks to Ed and Murtough and co so we have to buy and sell well, and we would need a coach who can get more out of who we have / develop the youngsters better. If such a coach exists that is available go for it. I just wouldn't have confidence that there are any miracle workers available personally in terms of getting more out of our shittier players. For me, the key for us is buying well, coach can potentially be improved upon but it's secondary.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just doesn’t know how to set up a functioning midfield. Doesn’t value ball retention. Massively misprofiled the premier league and there’s little suggestion he knows how to remedy that. Doesn’t matter who the owner or the DOF is if the manager can’t do bare necessities on-pitch tasks like this.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Just doesn’t know how to set up a functioning midfield. Doesn’t value ball retention. Massively misprofiled the premier league and there’s little suggestion he knows how to remedy that. Doesn’t matter who the manager or the DOF is if the manager can’t do bare necessities on-pitch tasks like this.
That's the thing for me. We are talking about a fatal weakness that can't be fixed by any structure unless people think that someone else than the head coach should implement the team's tactical organization or the team technical/phyiscal trainings.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Poll added
Would you be prepared to give ETH one more full season to prove himself?
* assuming new structure in place with no excuses for ETH
* it would be he his last season should he not earn a new contract
I can't say yes or no. If he has a bad run of 3-4 losses I would want him out in october. If evidently he failed a dressing room with some more new blood, then he needs to go.

I could get behind "would you be prepared to let him start the new season" I would definitly say yes.

You just aren’t getting it Stevo. It doesn’t mater how involved ETH was in the Weghorst deal, the issue was that this was what a United manager was left with to have as our MAIN striker. Whether he bought nobody and threw in a youth player , our managers have been stuck with awful alternative players.

If United were good at negotiating for players , we’d of had more money to back ETH that January. Maybe we’d of won Europa and done better in league. Maybe we wouldn’t have been stuck getting Amrabat/reguillon level back ups…..

We can throw Ighalo into the mix. That’s what United get its managers , sub standard options because we are a disaster at transfers.

My post wasn’t about ETH, it was about the ckub. This is what you and others are struggling to understand.

Like Ferguson bringing in Alan smith and making him into a central midfielder or Rafa using Dirk Kuyt as a winger when he was brought in as a striker? Henry was a winger when arsenal
bought him. I’ve no issue with a manager using a 6 month loan signing whatever way they think they should.

Maybe that’s the case but how can you fairly judge a manager who is working in a dysfunctional setup? And we go round and round.

Is Pochetinno so sh*t that Chelsea spending over a billion and he can only barely get above mid table ? Is that how bad Poch is ? What about Tuchel , had a savage squad , transfer kitty of £300 mill, above anything anybody else spent to improve it and he’s sacked after a very poor start to the season.. What’s more likely , that Tuchel failed because he’s bad or because a new owner came in and changed how they run things that actually affected performances?

Clubs that spend poorly and don’t have a modern structure and a modern football plan undermine managers by default.

SJR said United have let all its managers down. That’s probably why ETH hasn’t been replaced since they came in. They are focusing on fixing the structure instead of throwing another manager at the problem.,

The manager can and may be a huge part of the problem aswell, no doubt , but if they are working in toxic conditions with incompetent people and no real overall club plan, we will never know what they might of been able to achieve had things been different.

If you think “god he’s defending ETH” then don’t bother replying to this, I’m sick of some of the hysterical “sack the manager” crowd who are incapable of discussing the manager and club issues with an level of impartiality.
Thank you and well said. Posters like you make this thread more enjoyable.

Gordon's Hill

Just doesn’t know how to set up a functioning midfield. Doesn’t value ball retention. Massively misprofiled the premier league and there’s little suggestion he knows how to remedy that. Doesn’t matter who the manager or the DOF is if the manager can’t do bare necessities on-pitch tasks like this.
100% correct. Its so obvious yet still people defend him. Some say give him another 5-6 players, but it would be a slightly better version of the current chaos. His system wont work in PL and wont bring us sustained success.

lex talionis

What a strange post. :confused:

Firstly, why would they be the only three choices available? And where have you pulled Mourinho from?

Secondly, why would replacing ETH be the difference between 2-3 players and 8-9? Replacing ETH will cost us £9m at the absolute most if we replace him after the season, and almost certainly less since he likely has a clause in his contract where he's cheaper to sack if we don't make CL. So it's not a financial decision. And if it's a 'the new manager will give all the players a chance while ETH will get rid of them', we will be signing more than 2-3 players and probably less than 8-9 no matter who is the manager. And considering that some of the players that fans want to get rid of seem to be some of ETH's favourites, an argument could easily be made that a new manager is more likely to get rid of them.
Mourinho was in the rumor mill a few weeks ago. Pure rubbish of course, but the point is that promising alternatives to ten Hag are not abundant.

As for player upgrades, in any given summer transfer window we can count on 2 or 3 new players in, 2 or 3 out.

Many of us here, however, are concerned that we need a rebuild of the squad, probably around a turnover of 8 or 9 players this summer alone.

stevoc

You just aren’t getting it Stevo. It doesn’t mater how involved ETH was in the Weghorst deal,
No I am getting your point, mine was and is he was heavily involved in the Weghorst deal. It was his idea.

the issue was that this was what a United manager was left with to have as our MAIN striker. Whether he bought nobody and threw in a youth player , our managers have been stuck with awful alternative players.

If United were good at negotiating for players , we’d of had more money to back ETH that January. Maybe we’d of won Europa and done better in league. Maybe we wouldn’t have been stuck getting Amrabat/reguillon level back ups…..

We can throw Ighalo into the mix. That’s what United get its managers , sub standard options because we are a disaster at transfers.
Negotiating is part of it, but giving a manager almost complete control over transfers and allowing them to dictate targets and how long we chase those targets. Then have them dick about all summer waiting on a midfielder who obvisouly wasn't arsed about coming. Show little or no interest in wanting to sign a striker, choosing to rely on a crock and a 37 year old as his option. Only to have them hit the panic button after two opening defeats and want two expensive deadline day signings in Antony and Casemiro for a combined £150m is the bigger issue.

And this problem preceeds Ten Hag to be fair though it's just one of the most glaring examples of why that structure leads to paying way over the odds for average or past it players.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
Voted yes because it depends on circumstances for me. If Enrique and Zidane are willing to talk, then No. But if it really is a choice of Potter, De Zerbi and co, then I will strip for Ten Hag to get him to stay, and kiss his beautiful bald head.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I can't say yes or no. If he has a bad run of 3-4 losses I would want him out in october. If evidently he failed a dressing room with some more new blood, then he needs to go.

I could get behind "would you be prepared to let him start the new season" I would definitly say yes.

Thank you and well said. Posters like you make this thread more enjoyable.
There’s always one.

Take your meaning from it and vote.

for others they thought it was important for him to get a season under the new structure

yet for others who feel he’s just been unlucky with injuries it’s important for them to assess under a hopefully less injuries season

Me personally? It’s all excuses

NLunited

He knew how to set up a midfield at Ajax.

It‘s not about the midfield, but about the whole team. How we press, how we defend and how we play when we have the ball.

All three of those things have been poor lately. That‘s on the coach mostly I think. Even with the shiit we‘ve had to deal with, it should not be this bad.

Rista

Sounds like a terrible thing to base such important decision on. Hopefully the new people in charge have more sense than that.

croadyman

Poll added
Would you be prepared to give ETH one more full season to prove himself?
* assuming new structure in place with no excuses for ETH
* it would be he his last season should he not earn a new contract
Only voted yes as my top two options are staying, Amorim will most likely replace Klopp and see Bayern now going all in for De Zerbi. So it's becoming a straight choice between Potter and keeping Erik.

stevoc

h

That dysfunctional setup has also identified a series of managers who were either past it or not good enough. Why do you trust the current manager that this structure has put in place?

As we're wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch the manager picked by the previous regime should be part of that house cleaning.

stevoc

Perfect analogy of how some seem to think it works.