Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 524 52.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 471 47.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

OverratedOpinion

It would be better to keep ETH for another season, instead of paying his contract out to sack him and replacing him with a sideways replacement, then seeing if someone better is available next season.

Pointless replacing a manager out of his depth for another manager out of his depth, that failed miserably in his last stint with a big club, and has not even had another job since.
It would be better to hire someone else who has proven over years to be a very competent premier league manager than go though another season under the manager who has overseen a year of the worst Utd performances in 30 years and shows no sign of even remotely tweaking things.

Devil81

Was listening to Talkshite earlier, Darren Lewis has just insinuated ETH is going to be shown the door in the summer and the press already know his replacement.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
So your worry is that people more qualified than anyone in the caf do a deep dive and find there are problems at the club that has given the manager a bad hand, and that would give him another season? Hypothetically speaking, of course?

It's now apparent you have an unhealthy irrational dislike of him.
I'm questioning the methods outlined in the article. Forgive me if I'm cynical of the methods adopted by these qualified people, but I was in the Murtough/Fletcher thread questioning why Murtoughs grand plan was to follow targets identified by the manager, when that was what failed us previously. Obviously the rest of the Caf were getting their rocks off over the links to all the transfers and wanted to ignore this issue at the time.

All I'll say is, we know all the issues he's faced. But there's no excuse for the football we've produced. If they don't reach that conclusion then I'll be very dubious going forwards. It's so obvious that even you have moved between sack and keep a few times.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Was listening to Talkshite earlier, Darren Lewis has just insinuated ETH is going to be shown the door in the summer and the press already know his replacement.
How could they possibly know? SJR hates leaks and I highly doubt he’s been speaking to the press.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It would be better to hire someone else who has proven over years to be a very competent premier league manager than go though another season under the manager who has overseen a year of the worst Utd performances in 30 years and shows no sign of even remotely tweaking things.
Yeah I kind of agree, but it is difficult to tweak things when he has had the most unprecedented injury list in Man United history.

BorisManUtd

Fa Cup final is to be played on 25th of May. You'd think 1) club would make decision by then and/or 2) you don't decide manager's future over one game even if it's a potential cup final win against best team around. We won the Fa Cup under LvG but his destiny was sealed months before (though back then Mourinho was available and club agreed a deal with him).

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The reality is ETH overperformed last season, I don't think that many people expected (albeit hoped) a return to the Champions League and win a trophy in his first season.

Last season we started to see patterns of play, an identity about what we may see going forward and he dealt with Ronaldo in a decisive way. Transfer wise, the Antony transfer was a disaster but Casemiro, Eriksen and Martinez did pretty well.

When you look at this season, the results and utterly shambolic CL performance stand out for sure, but for me it's the fact we seem to have no real pattern of play anymore, no identity and worse over, he's never tried something different. Yes Mainoo has come in but he's stuck to the same formula, the same players (I appreciate we've had a lot of injuries) when he could have given others a chance. If things are failing and you don't change it, it's going to carry on failing. Add to that he's spent a fortune on players that haven't improved us and I don't see how he can carry on being backed. He has to go or I see continued regression.
Even last season the red flags were there. Not just some of the shocking results, but even tactically. We had a double pivot of Case and Eriksen, yet teams still had jou breaking away against us. I remember many posters mentioning how we got away with a few. When I heard from Simon Stone that he intended to play with 2 advanced midfielders this season (when discussing why he signed Mount), even I said straight away that he'll just exacerbate the issue. And look what happened. How can some football fan see this issue coming a mile off, but a supposed experienced tactician can't?

frostbite

He is not a good manager, he has failed, and he will be sacked by the summer.

It is irrelevant who will replace him, that's a separate/unconnected issue. If the new manager is not a good manager and fails, too, then he will be sacked as well.

Yes, it is not easy to find a really world class manager, but this is not a reason to stay with an incapable manager. There aren't many world-class managers around because it is a difficult job, and that's why they are being paid millions per year.

RORY65

It would be better to keep ETH for another season, instead of paying his contract out to sack him and replacing him with a sideways replacement, then seeing if someone better is available next season.

Pointless replacing a manager out of his depth for another manager out of his depth, that failed miserably in his last stint with a big club, and has not even had another job since.
If the reason for keeping Ten Hag is that the options aren't appealing then it makes sense in a way but presumes that the list will be better next summer when I'm not sure there are that many good managers that that can be assumed. 2 years ago the list was basically Ten Hag and Pochettino for 6 months.

Next year is likely to be really shit, we're already way behind most top clubs in terms of preparation for the summer and next season and basically none of the key figures above the manager are in position by the latter part of April. There's an argument to just let Ten Hag be the one to deal with the mess while the structure is put in place and bring in a new manager when the likes of Ashworth, Berrada, Wilson and the potential head of recruitment are settled.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yes, that's the point. We messed up and put ourselves in bad spots but the players didn't gave up or demonstrated mental weakness. As far as I know mental strength isn't just about doing things well and only well, it's also about messing up maybe even messing up regularly and pulling yourself up and find the strength to fix it.
In fact from memory our standard issue was that we were generally structurally poor, the opposition would make us pay and our response was to create chaos and outgun the opposition.

The point isn't that we were good or highly flawed in many aspects but that the reason we had a good season in terms of result was largely due to a never die mentality. And we finished second.

Edit: To me under Ole we were all heart and no brain.
Yeah no I'm agreeing with you.

He is not a good manager, he has failed, and he will be sacked by the summer.

It is irrelevant who will replace him, that's a separate/unconnected issue. If the new manager is not a good manager and fails, too, then he will be sacked as well.

Yes, it is not easy to find a really world class manager, but this is not a reason to stay with an incapable manager. There aren't many world-class managers around because it is a difficult job, and that's why they are being paid millions per year.
Exactly. The logic that we shouldn't try to replace our failing manager with a new one because there isn't an obvious next Pep Guardiola out there is fecking stupid. We aren't debating whether to sack a guy while we are getting 2nd in the league but can't win trophies, we are talking about sacking the caretaker of a team that is lucky as feck to even be in 7th this season and finished bottom of the group in the UCL. It won't take much to improve on that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Is there an article trying to explain why we are having so many injuries

tomaldinho1

First part is highly likely, think Ineos are getting the team in place and then will make a change.
Second part is BS, press have no idea

Pyro19

If the reason for keeping Ten Hag is that the options aren't appealing then it makes sense in a way but presumes that the list will be better next summer when I'm not sure there are that many good managers that that can be assumed. 2 years ago the list was basically Ten Hag and Pochettino for 6 months.

Next year is likely to be really shit, we're already way behind most top clubs in terms of preparation for the summer and next season and basically none of the key figures above the manager are in position by the latter part of April. There's an argument to just let Ten Hag be the one to deal with the mess while the structure is put in place and bring in a new manager when the likes of Ashworth, Berrada, Wilson and the potential head of recruitment are settled.
Removing him would be the first step in putting that structure. Mediocrity stems from the top and just because you don't have a perfect replacement does not mean you reward ineptitude

RORY65

Removing him would be the first step in putting that structure. Mediocrity stems from the top and just because you don't have a perfect replacement does not mean you reward ineptitude
No but do you want a new manager coming in with no director of football, no head of recruitment and no CEO (until July)? Seems like setting someone up to fail (or at least a have shit start) might as well be the guy who has already failed and can be sacked off rather than a new guy.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
No but do you want a new manager coming in with no director of football, no head of recruitment and no CEO (until July)? Seems like setting someone up to fail (or at least a have shit start) might as well be the guy who has already failed and can be sacked off rather than a new guy.
The idea that we should write off another season just like that is quite mind boggling. We will persist with ETH I am sure but that will be because we truly believe in him, not because we need to wait for something. It won’t be to wait for the right manager or to wait until new directors are appointed.

RORY65

The idea that we should write off another season just like that is quite mind boggling. We will persist with ETH I am sure but that will be because we truly believe in him, not because we need to wait for something.
I think truly believing in the guy would be more mind boggling after this year.

George The Best

I see absolutely no logistical reason why this wouldn't be possible.
[/QUOTE
I’m sure Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox & co might take issue with this.

RORY65

I’m sure Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox & co might take issue with this.
We haven't even got a deal for Ashworth yet (it might be close to being done) and he probably won't join until after the summer, Berrada doesn't join until July and Wilcox joined last week and is covering Ashworth's role for now while we presumably will appoint a head of recruitment at some stage.

That isn't the great structure that people have espoused that we need, it should be in place for next year but won't be for this summer. My only point is that it's not the ideal scenario for a new manager to come in to.

astracrazy

Let’s have a look at three of our last four matches:

Coventry in FA Cup, we’re winning 3-0, takes Garnacho off after 66 minutes, we end up drawing 3-3

Liverpool in the league, we’re winning 2-1, takes Garnacho off after 79 minutes, we end up drawing 2-2

Chelsea in the league, we’re winning 3-2, takes Garnacho off after 86 minutes, we lose 4-3

...in my opinion, there is a strong argument to suggest that Ten Hag’s in-game management is severely lacking - his decisions negatively affect us.
Thats such a tiny sample to base your analysis on. How about all the games we have had to fight back to win from half time on wards.

His whole tactical planning is poor, be it from the off or during the game.

Either he gets it completely wrong from the start or gets it right and miss manages the game.

Cerberus

Honestly feels like they're pretty much saying he's gone, not sure how he comes back from this kinda stuff.
Agreed. Feels like a PR spin to prepare the fanbase for the sacking. I don't think there's much Wilcox will learn that Brailsford and co. haven't already discovered and leaking this kind of information if they're being genuine just adds even more unnecessary stress upon the manager.

Wing Attack Plan R

What is Ten Hag actually responsible for? Does he devise the training drills? Does he impose a fitness regime (weightlifting, diet, etc.)? Is he the one who comes up with tactics? Those seem like things the manager would do, but if the tactics are drills are drawn up by someone else, that person needs firing. Maybe the individual coaches (goalkeeping, defensive, offensive) are just shit too.

I like that Ten Hag has integrated youth into the side, even if his hand was somewhat forced.
I don't like how he keeps picking out of form players, how no one gets dropped no matter how big of an egg they lay in the center circle.

Ten Hag was surely given benchmarks to hit, and it doesn't look like he's going to hit them. We've got the FA Cup final, and we face Sheffield United, Burnley, Palace, Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton in our remaining fixtures. I suppose if the team somehow pulls itself together and goes on a barnstorming run, wins the FA Cup, wins 4 or 5 out of 6 of our remaining games, Ten Hag can stay. But if we look like Dog And Duck after the 70th minute mark in any game and we play like an assemblage of pick up players in the park on Sunday, then whatever it is he's been trying to do has utterly and completely failed.

Last edited:

Lee565

The reality is ETH overperformed last season, I don't think that many people expected (albeit hoped) a return to the Champions League and win a trophy in his first season.

Last season we started to see patterns of play, an identity about what we may see going forward and he dealt with Ronaldo in a decisive way. Transfer wise, the Antony transfer was a disaster but Casemiro, Eriksen and Martinez did pretty well.

When you look at this season, the results and utterly shambolic CL performance stand out for sure, but for me it's the fact we seem to have no real pattern of play anymore, no identity and worse over, he's never tried something different. Yes Mainoo has come in but he's stuck to the same formula, the same players (I appreciate we've had a lot of injuries) when he could have given others a chance. If things are failing and you don't change it, it's going to carry on failing. Add to that he's spent a fortune on players that haven't improved us and I don't see how he can carry on being backed. He has to go or I see continued regression.
I don't even think we over performed as even last season we sat through a lot of dreadful attacking displays wherd barely looked like scoring along with just as many terrible defensive displays but we just got by on the honeymoon period like so many managers encounter as seen with ragnick who had a good run initially, same with ole who went on a great run when he first took over, conte at spurs, de zerbi at brighton, the same i expect will likely happen to ange at spurs next season as well.

frostbite

Some misunderstandings:

1. Last year, it was Rashford who overperformed, not ETH.

2. It was Ronaldo who dealt with ETH in a decisive way, not the other way around. Ronaldo realized that ETH is a disaster, so he preferred to force an exit and get the Saudi money, than stay here with the ETH disaster and become permanently injured. The mess we suffered this season proved that Ronaldo did the right thing (for himself).

soapythecat

How come it’s our players fault for capitulation when we are ahead in games and concede late on. But over in Germany, Alono is a miracle worker for turning Leverkusen into pushing to end warriors. Our poor results are down to the set up and poor tactics. Imagine going into next season with him at the helm? I think the players don’t like his methods or tactics anyway.

RORY65

... and BBC agrees. That's why they have this title.
Erik ten Hag's reign as Manchester United manager is reaching the end and there is "no coming back", says former Premier League striker Chris Sutton.

Literally the first line of the article, it's an opinion.

frostbite

Erik ten Hag's reign as Manchester United manager is reaching the end and there is "no coming back", says former Premier League striker Chris Sutton.

Literally the first line of the article, it's an opinion.
... and BBC agrees. That's why they have this title.

Literally it is the title!