Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 580 54.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 483 45.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Our players will be strolling around by Christmas trying to get him sacked at this rate. I hope Eric has marked every one of their cards and gets ready to exile them as soon as they play up
I don't believe it's in his hands if the players start downing tools. The board will just have to back him over the players this time.

Stinkypete

He is the reason we have not abandoned this fools chase and gone after alternative targets. So yes, as much as I’ve liked the progress, that one would be on him.
And it's quite clear that Ten Hag is a system manager. He has a player profile for that role and a player is seemingly available. We supposedly have other targets but they are inferior to the primary target. The manager himself has said that if he does not get that profile of player that he will coach that profile of player from within the current group.

However if the club do not invest that 80m on a CM option then we have to manage expectations accordingly. This is the problem we have had in the past when we have spent 100s of millions of pounds on square pegs and we as fans expect the manager's to win trophies and titles. In this case we won't be spending that money until the correct targets become available to fit what we are building so we won't waste the money, therefore we have to accept that Ten Hag has less investment in his playing squad than is needed.

Reactions: Cheimoon

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
No forwards, no central midfield and shaky maguire in central defense coupled with a passive goalkeeper in ddg ?

Its going to be a long season.

OpenIntrovert

And it's quite clear that Ten Hag is a system manager. He has a player profile for that role and a player is seemingly available. We supposedly have other targets but they are inferior to the primary target. The manager himself has said that if he does not get that profile of player that he will coach that profile of player from within the current group.

However if the club do not invest that 80m on a CM option then we have to manage expectations accordingly. This is the problem we have had in the past when we have spent 100s of millions of pounds on square pegs and we as fans expect the manager's to win trophies and titles. In this case we won't be spending that money until the correct targets become available to fit what we are building so we won't waste the money, therefore we have to accept that Ten Hag has less investment in his playing squad than is needed.
Agree. ETH probably has some backup options in terms of the academy as well as keeping an eye on the improvement of existing players, so the need for more investment isn't critical yet.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Wouldn't suprise me if in 6 months time we are 6th place yet again and it's the same old crap as the last few years.
Would this even be surprising given the fact that there are 4 teams with arguably stronger squads and a new manager who gets thrown in front of the biggest disaster of a team with only one new starter? You're talking 6 months as if he can sort all this shite out in half a season with this team.

He needs time and resources to build a winning squad. The fact we still don't even have a true CDM is ridiculous and not really his fault either. With the squad that we have it basically feels like a tryout season, auditions for ETH. He's placing his trust in players half the Caf have written off because he has no other options except for some unproven youngsters.

That said, I do have faith in him to do better simply because he showed he's a good manager, Ajax was a managers' graveyard before he joined with the exception of Frank de Boer.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
How stupid do you have to be to think if you leave at HT it won't get noticed by people and make the news. Right before the season starts.

Ronaldo probably doesn't give a shit but whoever the rest of the players were should know better. Real lack of common sense with these players.
Other players were mostly from the ronaldo camp.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
ETH has to take the large share of the blame, for this De Jong mess and ultimate failure of the deal.

It’s been clear for so long now, that De Jong never wanted United, but he insisted on staying in the potential deal.

Now the club have been left red faced and humiliated.
And so it begins here, the turning on of Ten Hag

awkwarddutchguy

Jurgen klopp finished 8th his first season at liverpool you need to be patient for an rebuild can’t expect top four

Jev

How stupid do you have to be to think if you leave at HT it won't get noticed by people and make the news. Right before the season starts.

Ronaldo probably doesn't give a shit but whoever the rest of the players were should know better. Real lack of common sense with these players.
As far as I recall, the difference is that Ronaldo was the only one who was in the matchday squad (and had participated in the match)?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

I understand what you’re saying to an extent. My issue is that if your system is reliant on a player that is supposedly a one off, then that is probably not the smartest system to set up.

The fact is he did set up another system, and should have done so at united. We will not make too 4 with mctominay starting for us week in week out. I know our play is improving, but the other teams are too strong to get away with the number of handicaps we have.

R'hllor

Regardless of truth, said when he became a United manager, his first decisions will shape the path for him, so whatever happens its on him.

Born2Lose

I suspect if this farce with FdJ ends up with him not coming to United that the narrative will suddenly be about how it's everyone else's fault except EtH.

It's a sign of how weak the club is. and how few footballing figures that command any respect there are in the upper hierarchy that EtH seems to have more say here than I suspect he ever had at Ajax.

ShinjiNinja26

Seems we’re still a bit of a shit show behind the scenes. On the one hand you’ve got the club briefing the press that Ronaldo and co had permission to leave the ground early and on the other you’ve got the manager condemning the actions as unacceptable. Comes across as very amateurish from the outside. ETH has to rip this place apart and rebuild from the ground up, seems like he has certain standards and the club are lagging behind.

mshnsh

For 10hag, the most important thing is time. He clearly has an idea of how he wants his team to play and will need the players who are currently there to adapt as he adapts to them. The lack of champions league means he has to make the most of what he has. I personally believe our players are not as bad as they showed last season.

The short term goal should be to get back into the champions league so that we can attract the right players to fit his philosophy than we take it from there.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I hope this is true.

As I said in the Ronaldo thread, let's support our manager through thick and thin. Got to get some control over this shit culture that's permeated throughout the team since SAF left.

Lecland07

Seems we’re still a bit of a shit show behind the scenes. On the one hand you’ve got the club briefing the press that Ronaldo and co had permission to leave the ground early and on the other you’ve got the manager condemning the actions as unacceptable. Comes across as very amateurish from the outside. ETH has to rip this place apart and rebuild from the ground up, seems like he has certain standards and the club are lagging behind.
Is this a fact?

Red_toad

He is the reason we have not abandoned this fools chase and gone after alternative targets. So yes, as much as I’ve liked the progress, that one would be on him.
How do you know he’s the reason? Are you privy to what Murtough has told him about the deal?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He will have a very tough time this season cleaning us up. Once Ronaldo is gone and we move on from the Frenkie dream, we can rebuild properly. This is the start for sure, but I'm now thinking this is more like Klopps first season rather than a big jump in year 1. Transfers just haven't happened, and the bad egg (Ronaldo) hasn't been tossed out of the club yet. Until those 2 happen, Ten Hag will struggle really bringing us forward.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I hope this is true.

As I said in the Ronaldo thread, let's support our manager through thick and thin. Got to get some control over this shit culture that's permeated throughout the team since SAF left.
Yeah I like that idea as ten Hag looks very promising but there's next to no chance of that happening with this fanbase. Some are already turning on him before we've even played a competitive game.

Flexdegea

I think there's partial truth in this. Multiple reports came out and said that ETH insisted on his own signings as opposed to the club targets, hence Martinez over Torres for example. I suspect we may have gone harder for Tielemans, or indeed Nunez if ETH hadn't prioritised Anthony and VDJ. As such he does bear some responsibility, albeit the club should have pulled out earlier and moved on to other targets quicker than they have, especially the VDJ shitshow. We may well now see the club reverting back to their targets that are still gettable... which is definitely going to be more difficult and more expensive now as its late in the day.

Thank God then they going his route and not the clubs to be laboured with players the manager don't want, and more bloated squad. Makes total sense

Flexdegea

ETH has to take the large share of the blame, for this De Jong mess and ultimate failure of the deal.

It’s been clear for so long now, that De Jong never wanted United, but he insisted on staying in the potential deal.

We have some absolute weapons for fans these days.

Why all the posts Goldbridge'uese these days?

Embarrassing is another one thrown about.

SER19

If anybody was somehow under any doubt that the squab he inherited is among the most toxic ever assembled, some with seemingly no sense of perspective whatsoever, then just look at players leaving a pre season game early without his permission. This is them in 'fresh start' mode! Any player who left at weekend should be dropped for Brighton

Flexdegea

I'm not impressed so far.

Looks like ETH has folded already and is letting players and the club officials get away from him.

Wouldn't suprise me if in 6 months time we are 6th place yet again and it's the same old crap as the last few years.

What the hell :lol:

What is going on here at the moment, where is all this pathetic negativity coming from?

ShinjiNinja26

Is this a fact?
Well there were numerous reports after it happened stating they were given permission to leave early so someone at the club has obviously told the media that was the case. Now the manager is doing an interview stating the complete opposite. A lack of communication all round and it’s making the club look Mickey Mouse yet again.

Polar

We have earlier discussed who is good enough to be starters at Pool and City and probably end up with Ronaldo and Sancho only. It was a boring discussion.

Our ambition this season is top-4, so it’s more relevant is to discuss who is good enough to be starters at example Arsenal.
I’m not sure United has a better squad than Arsenal, and that tells me ETH have done a great job if he manage to bring United among top-4 this season.

FatTails

:lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We have earlier discussed who is good enough to be starters at Pool and City and probably end up with Ronaldo and Sancho only. It was a boring discussion.

Our ambition this season is top-4, so it’s more relevant is to discuss who is good enough to be starters at example Arsenal.
I’m not sure United has a better squad than Arsenal, and that tells me ETH have done a great job if he manage to bring United among top-4 this season.
Ronaldo wouldn't start for City or Liverpool or arsenal or Tottenham. Possibly Chelsea as their attacking options are weird. Tbh though, he shouldn't be a starter ahead of martial here even.

We do have some good players, just some gaps that need addressing (and the big Ronaldo shaped problem who has to be sold). Shaw when fit (big if) is very good, and Malacia looks excellent. Martinez I'm confident will be a great signing. Our centerbacks generally are a very good collection. Fred is a player that every big club would love, maybe not as an instant starter for all but would play regularly. Bruno of course, Rashford would be sought after by big clubs, Sancho of course would be a big player anywhere... Anyway, we'll see if Ten Hag can get the others going during the season and get the best out of our players. We lack depth in attack, and I'm sure he'd like to revamp the midfield, but we'll see.

Flexdegea

I think FDJ saga and transfer negativity is being applied on every subject at this point.
It's crazy.

The FDJ saga so extreme too. We had a bid accepted or agreed, he is owed a lot of money in back pay, Barca behaviour been scandalous think we can all agree on.
, But we are apparently embarrassing and pathetic, then any sort of story involving Chelsea he defo going there, it's nailed on he going there even when the same issues are still there, and we are even more pathetic humiliated and embarrassing.

It's so bizarre.

Stinkypete

I understand what you’re saying to an extent. My issue is that if your system is reliant on a player that is supposedly a one off, then that is probably not the smartest system to set up.

The fact is he did set up another system, and should have done so at united. We will not make too 4 with mctominay starting for us week in week out. I know our play is improving, but the other teams are too strong to get away with the number of handicaps we have.
Nobody has said, nor did I say that the system relied on a one off player.

The one off player is simply the absolute best at that position coming into his prime and possibly available. We are Manchester United, our ambition should be that player.

If that player says no then there are other players of similar profile as back up targets but those players are inferior (ie we won't be held to ransom on price, player may need a supporting structure around him in midfield that means deeper investment) and if we are priced out or whatever, we will coach a player in the squad currently to perform the function for now until an alternative is identified or someone is coached to the level required.

And if this happens, then you have to accept the level of investment we have done in this window is probably not all that is needed and should judge things from that perspective.

If we had sorted out the scouting network etc before ten hag came then you could argue this was all on him

But we didn't, and the club is in the state it is in because of the club organisation not the current manager of the first team that's been in the job weeks.

Fluctuation0161

Terrible post.

Get back to your tabloids. :lol:

nickm

I suspect if this farce with FdJ ends up with him not coming to United that the narrative will suddenly be about how it's everyone else's fault except EtH.

It's a sign of how weak the club is. and how few footballing figures that command any respect there are in the upper hierarchy that EtH seems to have more say here than I suspect he ever had at Ajax.
Always love how people are able to draw conclusions from things that haven't happened.