Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 578 54.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 483 45.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Tony247

His role is to ensure that the academy is aligned with the first team. He works with the head of academy and the first team manager to look at various areas including first team development, academy player development roadmap for first team, type of players to sign for the academy, the training approaches etc.

Normally the director of football looks at this, but because Murtough is overseeing operations as well as the technical aspects, Fletcher is assisting him with the technical portion which is what has been mentioned above.
Why head of acadaemy and first team coach need a middleman?

acid_fuji

How about De Bruyne, Rodri, Gundogan, Phillips, Bernando Silva and Alvarez?
yeah, i know..i was just kidding but essentially you don’t have to win with City to be high up the table. I like to believe that Ten Hag can make our midfield competing with mid/lower table teams and those wins can get you high up the table (I know last season our midfield was shit, but I have good feeling about coming one)

NLunited

As big a test for ETH as implementing a new playing style and getting results is how he handles this Ronaldo debacle.

I believe he went into the pre-season with good faith saying Ronaldo was important, would bring something to the team etc. but he must see now that the situation is unsalvageable, and that keeping around someone around the club with Ronaldo's temperament is poison.

How he deals with it will set him apart from our previous managers, who have either gone to war with players or done nothing and lost all authority. I'd go as far to say it could even define how his entire tenure pans out, as it could genuinely result in him losing the dressing room if he fecks it up, at a time when he's trying to win hearts and minds.

I hope whatever his view his, the club have the sense to back him.

My own view is get rid, ASAP. Any gain from keeping him around either as a first team player or squad player is outweighed by a bigger loss. In the former, the impact on our overall shape and tactics (and maybe on how hard the team work overall if they see him slacking) or in the case of the latter, disruption in the dressing room and the media storm from a sulking, stropping Ronaldo on the bench.
Ten Hag has been direct with him, like saying after Vallecano game that he was not fit.

If he keeps sulking he‘ll be a pinch hitter off the bench. If he gets fit he could start most games. So we will have to see what happens.

OpenIntrovert

Why head of acadaemy and first team coach need a middleman?
If you work in companies, you will see a senior director in charge of 2 or more directors. This is to align the directors under them via roadmap/strategy/processes. Otherwise the directors will only focus on their own portion and tend to be resistant to requests coming from the other director.

sugar_kane

Ten Hag has been direct with him, like saying after Vallecano game that he was not fit.

If he keeps sulking he‘ll be a pinch hitter off the bench. If he gets fit he could start most games. So we will have to see what happens.
I have no doubt about Ten Hag’s assertiveness, he will not take any shit from anyone - Ronaldo or otherwise.

My worry is that it all blows up in his face.

The easiest thing for him to do would be to tell the club to sell and remove the massive distraction so either he believes Ronaldo will be a worthwhile asset to the squad (I’m really struggling with this one given Ten Hag’s desired style, plus the impact of the Ronaldo circus) or the club have overruled him (for me this is worst case scenario as it shows nothing has changed, and will have pissed off Ten Hag)

There is a third scenario that’s crossed my mind which is a bit more outlandish, that Ten Hag is going to use this Ronaldo situation to his advantage and demonstrate that no one is bigger than the club or the manager by making an example of him when he steps out of line.

Slightly more fanciful, but it somehow makes more sense in the context of what’s happening, which I’m struggling to rationalise otherwise.

Thisistheone

If we don’t get de Jong or any kind of upgrade on McTominay then it’s going to be a really long hard season and ten Hag should be given all the patience we can offer.

Skills

Snitch
If we don’t get de Jong or any kind of upgrade on McTominay then it’s going to be a really long hard season and ten Hag should be given all the patience we can offer.
Except he'll be primarily responsible for the shitshow of this transfer window.

I'd say he'll have made his own bed, and he'll desperately hope he can coach his way out it.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy

I'd say he'll have made his own bed, and he'll desperately hope he can coach his way out it.
I think there's partial truth in this. Multiple reports came out and said that ETH insisted on his own signings as opposed to the club targets, hence Martinez over Torres for example. I suspect we may have gone harder for Tielemans, or indeed Nunez if ETH hadn't prioritised Anthony and VDJ. As such he does bear some responsibility, albeit the club should have pulled out earlier and moved on to other targets quicker than they have, especially the VDJ shitshow. We may well now see the club reverting back to their targets that are still gettable... which is definitely going to be more difficult and more expensive now as its late in the day.

Castia

Brilliant appointment and can't wait for him to get going as United manager. I'm excited to see our style of play evolves in the coming months.

It does raise some questions about recruitment though, he's never been in a position to have a big budget going for 'top players' before and along with the board it looks like this FdJ saga is a complete failure that we've wasted a full summer on.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There is a third scenario that’s crossed my mind which is a bit more outlandish, that Ten Hag is going to use this Ronaldo situation to his advantage and demonstrate that no one is bigger than the club or the manager by making an example of him when he steps out of line.
That could happen IF we have a (very) good start to the season.

If we start dropping points, however...

This is partly why I want him gone ASAP: the potential upside to keeping him is slender compared to the potential negative effect he could - very easily - have in a scenario where we struggle.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

This. I don't expect any miracles from him tbh. Naivety at its best.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Can see the people lining up to start with the Ten Hag Out nonsense already.
I doubt anyone would jump on to that ship but this Frenkie or nothing stance is extremely lame and shows his lack of knowledge of the player market. Will we never sign a midfielder if FDJ moves to Chelsea? Because it was Frenkie or nothing?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I doubt anyone would jump on to that ship but this Frenkie or nothing stance is extremely lame and shows his lack of knowledge of the player market. Will we never sign a midfielder if FDJ moves to Chelsea? Because it was Frenkie or nothing?
It's hard to believe Ten Hag came to United with one midfield target (fdj) though (if Neves is second choice surely it's club proposition?).
We're still in for a DM/holding midfielder, which is good. It's a bit late and frankly I worry more about being skinned of money rather than first few games anyway.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I doubt anyone would jump on to that ship but this Frenkie or nothing stance is extremely lame and shows his lack of knowledge of the player market.
Yeah, got quite exposed. The man would assume he was a head coach in Holland from such behavior.

Absolute nonsense.
If he doesn't go ahead with renovation of Old Trafford by October, I say we hound him out.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Brilliant appointment and can't wait for him to get going as United manager. I'm excited to see our style of play evolves in the coming months.

It does raise some questions about recruitment though, he's never been in a position to have a big budget going for 'top players' before and along with the board it looks like this FdJ saga is a complete failure that we've wasted a full summer on.
Buying players is not on him. We have a poor structure, shit scouting, and have been poor in the market for years. So he gets a pass this summer and it is only logical that he prefers players he knows well

Thoms

Supports
Ajax

EtH is not a moron and knows how to handle a budget. However, at Ajax Overmars used to do all the hard work for him and was brilliant at his job.
It saddens me to see you guys struggling for transfers.

Chris M

His recruitment is already better than anything done in recent times, I have great expectations going into the new season

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
EtH is not a moron and knows how to handle a budget. However, at Ajax Overmars used to do all the hard work for him and was brilliant at his job.
But that has always been the case here, so EtH is not at fault, rather the clubs inability

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
But that has always been the case here, so EtH is not at fault, rather the clubs inability
I agree and it is sickening for such a big club to have such a poor board/transferteam.

Castia

We have absolutely the worst 'structure' in elite European football.

We had little to no input from footballing people in our running of the club, Ed Woodward and these clowns in charge now know feck all about the game.

City we're the same at one point. Scatter gun approach spending money on any old random players. Then they appointed some best in class directors from Barcelona and built a club within a couple of years.

I tell you what he wont admit it publicly but I bet EtH is wondering what the feck is happening at this club after being at such a well run club like Ajax.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Interesting. What did Overmars do, exactly?
He was our technical director and head of the scoutingdepartment as well. That’s how we ended up with gems like Antony, Neres, FdJ, Martinez etc. EtH worked extremely close with Overmars and van der Sar when it came to recruiting/signings.
EtH is a smart guy, he must have been told by the board that the FdJ was done and it was only a matter of time.
I will be sick to my stomach if he ends up at Chelsea.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We really need to get behind ETH. It'll take a long time to get these morons acting professionally.

No doubt they all saw Ronaldo heading off and thought screw it i'll do the same.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How stupid do you have to be to think if you leave at HT it won't get noticed by people and make the news. Right before the season starts.

Ronaldo probably doesn't give a shit but whoever the rest of the players were should know better. Real lack of common sense with these players.