Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 536 53.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 474 46.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

SER19

We must just have a different media diet then. I mostly read The Athletic, where Carl Anka and Laurie Whitwell have been quite apologetic of him, and The Guardian, and watch Sky Sports/Overlap stuff on YouTube.
Really? A quick google search shows that in first half of last season the athletic had articles questioning if anything has improved in 5 years since mourinho, that ten hag is becoming one of the problems, that he must take responsibility for the problems, and that his shift to pragmatic tactics is costing United. That was a 20 second search. Again, add it to more vociferous criticism outlined above, I just dont see any argument that he has had mild criticism, or had it easy from the press, as credible at all. Not even remotely.

SER19

That all sounds pretty fair to me.

Anyway, you're talking about United-hating knob heads who played for our rivals. They'd find a way of criticising Ferguson if he were still here.

On the whole Ten Hag is getting off far lighter than he should be considering how bad he is. It's pretty odd behaviour to see some people applauding him for having a go at journalists the moment they start having a go. He should count himself fortunate it's taken this long
Read my above posts if you're interested. Unless somebody here can give an example of a plausible criticism from mainstream media that is considered severe, and that he hasnt been charged with.

Im honeslty interested - What is severe criticsm, that underachieving managers are routinely exposed to, that for some reason ten hag has been spared, and secondly, why have the media supposedly collectively spared him?

Its just utter nonsense. We can argue it back and forth all day, but I can literally find headlines, clips and articles calling him out of his depth, questioning his character and charisma etc etc, talking about his sacking - going back almost all season. (and some of last). Seemingly if I do that, the particular journalist or pundit wont be judged to be the ones you mean. Its all just plainly false.

DSG

I really thought the Ten Hag apologists would have retreated a bit after the last few matches, but I guess when people should fold their hand, they are more likely to double down.

I actually just feel bad for Ten Hag now. The injuries have been significant, but the lack of depth is partially down to him. He let Reguilon leave, he sent out a bunch of players on loan, his incomings have been a disaster — Amrabaat? Mount? Everyone loves Licha’s mentality, but he’s always injured.

Stubborn. When you have players that are full internationals and multiple major trophy winners not knowing how to defend in your system, that’s a manager issue and a tactics issue.

‘When he’s sacked, I’d do the following:

Sell:
Rashford (70m)
Casemiro (30m)
Varane out
Antony (25m)
Sancho (30m)
McTominay (20m)
Amrabaat
Evans
Martial

+175m

Keep Maguire, Bruno, Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund, Diallo, Licha, Shaw, Dalot, Lindelof, Onana, Mount, Malacia (can’t get rid no market), AWB, and bring back loanees Fernandez, Pellistri, keep Turkish backup GK, Kambwala, Eriksen. Bring back Hannibal. That’s 20 plus Forson and some academy kids.

We need two younger CBs at a minimum. They should have pace to play a higher line (100m)
We need an honest to goodness ground covering DM to pair with Mainoo. And another young CM (70m)
We need a winger that can torch opposing FBs 1v1 to pair with Garnacho. And fast. (80m
We need another striker. (100m)
We need more cover at LB (20m)

Total 370m
net spend 195m

I’m tired of how we play. Ten Hag should be gone. Let’s bring in Tuchel to help us get into CL places so we can make more money and get a pipeline of youth with the new structure of Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox. We can concentrate spend on really building out our scouting network and buying new talent.

OverratedOpinion

Only relaying the general gossip regarding his position, similar to the transfer threads.
Yes and people are passing comment on the source. I'm confused as to why you seem to be taking that personally.

You referenced a kinda irrelevant statement on a particularly sensationalist site.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I don't even think we over performed as even last season we sat through a lot of dreadful attacking displays wherd barely looked like scoring along with just as many terrible defensive displays but we just got by on the honeymoon period like so many managers encounter as seen with ragnick who had a good run initially, same with ole who went on a great run when he first took over, conte at spurs, de zerbi at brighton, the same i expect will likely happen to ange at spurs next season as well.
I do think we over performed last season, we finished on like 75pts which use to be enough to win the league back in fergies day. The only reason we finished where we did and won a cup was down to one man’s form and that’s Rashford, he bailed us out so many times last season. This season he’s a ghost. There was times Last season where we played some good football and scored some good team goals.

spwd

Again I don't disagree but he could use this and create a siege mentality type of effort, perfect opportunity.
How can he do that when he keeps throwing players under the bus and he doesn't think he's doing anything wrong anyway?

The Hilton

At which point United required a particular system and shared it with anyone? It seems to be your key point and I don't know where it comes from, especially when ETH himself only mentioned that he wanted us to be the best transition team which matches with what he has done before Ajax.

But we better move on, have a nice evening.
Well he wasn't hired to implement a mid block counter attacking team! It's fairly clear what he's referring to is a high press with fast transitions upon winning the ball. I interpret it as somewhat similar to Liverpool in their pomp under Klopp.

frostbite

Chelsea lost 5-0 and everybody is laughing at Poch.

ETH lost 7-0 and some of our fans say that the press is too hard on him!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I really thought the Ten Hag apologists would have retreated a bit after the last few matches, but I guess when people should fold their hand, they are more likely to double down.

I actually just feel bad for Ten Hag now. The injuries have been significant, but the lack of depth is partially down to him. He let Reguilon leave, he sent out a bunch of players on loan, his incomings have been a disaster — Amrabaat? Mount? Everyone loves Licha’s mentality, but he’s always injured.

Stubborn. When you have players that are full internationals and multiple major trophy winners not knowing how to defend in your system, that’s a manager issue and a tactics issue.

Sell:
Rashford (70m)
Casemiro (30m)
Varane out
Antony (25m)
Sancho (30m)
McTominay (20m)
Amrabaat
Evans
Martial

+175m

Keep Maguire, Bruno, Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund, Diallo, Licha, Shaw, Dalot, Lindelof, Onana, Mount, Malacia (can’t get rid no market), AWB, and bring back loanees Fernandez, Pellistri, keep Turkish backup GK, Kambwala, Eriksen. Bring back Hannibal. That’s 20 plus Forson and some academy kids.

We need two younger CBs at a minimum. They should have pace to play a higher line (100m)
We need an honest to goodness ground covering DM to pair with Mainoo. And another young CM (70m)
We need a winger that can torch opposing FBs 1v1 to pair with Garnacho. And fast. (80m

Total 370m
net spend 195m

I’m tired of how we play. Ten Hag should be gone. Let’s bring in Tuchel to help us get into CL places so we can make more money and get a pipeline of youth with the new structure of Berrada, Ashworth, Wilcox. We can concentrate spend on really building out our scouting network and buying new talent.
Let me guess… you play fm?

E-mal

Chelsea lost 5-0 and everybody is laughing at Poch.

ETH lost 7-0 and some of our fans say that the press is too hard on him!
ETH didn’t mean to lose 7-0, it’s the bad eggs in the team that are sabotaging his effort or so they said

honirelandboy

Sell:
Rashford (70m)
Casemiro (30m)
Varane out
Antony (25m)
Sancho (30m)
McTominay (20m)
Amrabaat
Evans
Martial

+175m

Total 370m
net spend 195m

If only the real word worked like that, no one is going to pay Sancho/Rashford/Casemeiro/Anthony wages unless all four go to the Saudi league which isn't going to happen. I'd probably actually keep Scott, not good enough to be starting but not a high earner and have him there as some sort of squad player. I agree with some of what your saying but I'd say a CB and CM will probably be the height of our summer business.

Reactions: Fortitude

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He has certainly had a decent enough matchday squad available all season to get more out of the team than he has done.
Impossible. This is the worst injury crisis in history, unprecedented in any league at any point ever, to any club, across any division in any country in any sports. We have had no healthy players at all. Zero.

The Hilton

Puting faith in qualified personnel to get it right isnt just thrown in the bin because there are few cases where they draw a wrong conclusion.

I trust them more than forum fans or lazy skysports pundits.
No you don't understand, if the experienced and qualified professional does an audit that doesn't result in the manager I don't like being fired, then clearly he doesn't know what he's doing and is a fraud!

r0663664

Worships Man City
In reality, we won't sign that many players. We would probably sign 4. 1 CB, 1 CM, 1 ST and 1 LB. Rashford won't be sold, he will do well under the new manager in the 1st year and suck in 2nd year. It will take another 4 transfer windows to address some of the glaring issue. I just hope we get a coach that can unleash the potential of our players. I like Tuchel more than Potter or Southgate. He has coach many big teams around Europe. Like Emery, he will 100% do better this time round for sure. Guaranteed!

NLunited

Again, he has a bit more credit in the bank, for obvious reasons.
I’m telling you that wouldn’t matter with a MU coach.

These journalists are embarrassing. My question to Guardiola would be “Do you feel embarrassed because of MC being charged on 115 counts of cheating, calling your whole legacy at this club into question?”

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Impossible. This is the worst injury crisis in history, unprecedented in any league at any point ever, to any club, across any division in any country in any sports. We have had no healthy players at all. Zero.
And none of this down to training methods it's all just bad luck!

NLunited

And none of this down to training methods it's all just bad luck!
Where does the story that training is too intense come from? There are no intense training sessions between back to back games, but recovery sessions.

TsuWave

Do you struggle with comprehension? What percentage of audits do you think generally fall to the wrong conclusion?
Is this really what you’re like as a person? :lol: just constantly lashing out. brother I said “qualified people in established roles fail all the time” and your retort was “In respect of the frequency of audits, it is a few" and I’m confused cause surely you know that will be contextual. Like, for all means and purposes any performance review is an audit - do you walk around with percentage stats on how many football managerial audits and outcomes are proven to be right and correct decisions? You made the claim and I have to present percentages?

And I said there's no need for your concern.

You came out with some pedantic nonsense that had nothing to do with my point.
And then you called me combative. Very ironic.
There’s all kinds of need for concern when a nonsensical stance such as “qualified people = trust the audit” is a line being pushed here. You know, a forum.

No angry replies, man. You fought a good fight, but it’s done. Ten Hag is a bust.

TsuWave

No you don't understand, if the experienced and qualified professional does an audit that doesn't result in the manager I don't like being fired, then clearly he doesn't know what he's doing and is a fraud!
At no point was that said by the way. Not thinking Wilcox is a fraud and knowing that he can get it wrong aren’t mutually exclusive things. If they decide to carry on with this manager it doesn’t suddenly erase nor answer my question marks around Ten Hag.

But yeah man since we’re going for silly exaggerations; if Wilcox decides to carry on with Ten Hag - I’ll start the anti Wilcox agenda. The game is the game.

The Hilton

At no point was that said by the way. Not thinking Wilcox is a fraud and knowing that he can get it wrong aren’t mutually exclusive things. If they decide to carry on with this manager it doesn’t suddenly erase nor answer my question marks around Ten Hag.

But yeah man since we’re going for silly exaggerations; if Wilcox decides to carry on with Ten Hag - I’ll start the anti Wilcox agenda. The game is the game.
That was an exaggeration, but that seems to be what you were alluding to - if Wilcox doesn't think Ten Hag has to go, then he's wrong and you're right. Pretty arrogant thinking.

Personally I'll accept whatever they decide, as long as there's a consistent target and approach beyond the manager then I'll feel we're moving in the right direction.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

Sell:
Rashford (70m)
Casemiro (30m)
Varane out
Antony (25m)
Sancho (30m)
McTominay (20m)
Amrabaat
Evans
Martial

+175m

Total 370m
net spend 195m

Tell me on good reason you're keeping Maguire and Lindeløf?

Two players who since they started making start or appearance dating back to the Sevilla Europa League Last season we've been shifting goals in for fun.

Hell no, both should be sold they are not good enough and never will be.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Sell:
Rashford (70m)
Casemiro (30m)
Varane out
Antony (25m)
Sancho (30m)
McTominay (20m)
Amrabaat
Evans
Martial

+175m

Total 370m
net spend 195m

Agreed with everything except keeping the both of the chuckle brothers. Have to ship out one of Lindelof or Maguire

Atheist

We overperformed this season? Out of the CL in group stage, in 7th place in the league, thrashed by Newcastle in League Cup and in the FA Cup final. This guy knows how to gaslight fans.

Djemba-Djemba

He sounds more and more like his head has gone and he knows he's finished here. The embargoed quotes especially.

Talking about his individual record as a manager and claiming making a cup final is a big over achievement, it's all quite Mourinho like. Yes we beat Liverpool on the way to the final and that is by far and away the best moment of the season but the other teams we've faced are Wigan, Newport County, Nottingham Forest and Coventry. It's not some out of this world success to have made the final when that's the route.

Also claiming the reason some utd fans aren't happy with this season is because we listen to critical opinions, I mean that's just bollocks. We've been an utter fecking shambles all season, you could have gone all year without reading or listening to any pundit or journalist and still know we've been appalling just by watching the games and seeing the results.

He also says this is the first time we've made the FA Cup final two years running which is just not true. We were in the final in 76 and 77, 2004 and 2005, we did it 3 years running in 94, 95 and 96. I know it's not a big deal but it's weird nobody has corrected him because he claimed the same thing on Sunday.

Stinkypete

Yes there is. ETH is over training the players. And they had no pre-season because of a stupid tour. And we have rubbish facilities. Plus the lack of an operational tactical structure on the pitch means everyone has to work twice as hard to compensate.
All top clubs do these pre season tours, what's so special about our squad that it isn't adequate for us but City, Arsenal, Liverpool have coped?

FrantikChicken

We overperformed this season? Out of the CL in group stage, in 7th place in the league, thrashed by Newcastle in League Cup and in the FA Cup final. This guy knows how to gaslight fans.
He’s saying teaching a cup final is an overachievement given the circumstances. Generally I’d agree but our cup run has had only 1 strong opposition in it