Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 563 53.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 481 46.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ForeverRed1

Yes that perfectly sums up the transfer strategies of our previous 5 managers with the considerable control over trasnfers and finances to fund them they've been given post SAF.
Managers shouldn’t have control over transfers. Thats why you have teams of people that deal with recruitment. Managers should manage.

sepulturite

Is it just me or has the no vote gone down by 4% after tonight? Are people really changing their opinion that easily?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I really want to give him another season, but then I see his favourtism to certain players and his horrible subs during games and it makes me question that. I clicked no in the poll, but I won't be upset if he's given a little longer to hopefully prove us wrong...

Red Royal

I really want to give him another season, but then I see his favourtism to certain players and his horrible subs during games and it makes me question that. I clicked no in the poll, but I won't be upset if he's given a little longer to hopefully prove us wrong...
He had little choice with his subs today. Bringing on Wheatley was a nice touch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Is it just me or has the no vote gone down by 4% after tonight? Are people really changing their opinion that easily?
I said this after Coventry:
You're probably not even joking. When I was skimming through the thread, "yes" was apparently at around 30% before the Coventry game, so one game changed 10%.

Okay, yesterday was horrendous despite the win, but it should've been obvious before the Coventry game that ten Hag was out of his depth here. I'm going to assume that if we beat Sheffield in a couple of days, "yes" will go up to at least the mid 20s.
Completely expected :lol:

Herman Toothrot

Ten Hag has been dug out, time after time, not by high level tactics, but by moments from his most talented, or at least, most effective, players.

Many have argued that Fernandes, Rashford and McTominay have no part to play in his system.

'These are the wrong players'.

Yet all three have been getting the crucial goals over the last two seasons to keep him in his job, alongside Casemiro, a player history now rewrites has forced upon him, but has scored twelve goals or something between suspension and injury.

I don't buy the 'Rashford doesn't try' arguement for a second, if anything, he's clearly a player who has absolutely no control of his emotions. I don't buy the 'Fernandes does too much' argument either, he's fecking brilliant.

I do think both players need to be working smarter and more consistently.

I don't think we should be relying on McTominay or Casemiro, but I can't point to any success anywhere other than moments from individual talents.

If the only good things the manager has achieved is these moments from the players who shouldn't be here, then where is it going to come from?

stevoc

Managers shouldn’t have control over transfers. Thats why you have teams of people that deal with recruitment. Managers should manage.
I wholeheartedly agree with you there mate. But when a manager takes a job and accepts that responsibility then they can be criticised when they make a complete clusterfeck of it. Like our post SAF managers have.

I look forward to us having a proper structure in place and us making lomg term signings based on suitibility and profile of the player as opposed to managers signing their mates, their ex-players, countrymen and a player they've taken a shine to. That way when we inevitably have to sack a manager it doesn't involve throwing the current squad on the scrapheap and giving the next guy £400-500m to make his own scrapheap.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
40 minutes since the last post. Things calmed down a bit?

I think he'll get another season.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Despite it being just one game, a cup win I believe will secure ETH another season. This won't be an LVG type of situation.

The new owners clearly have a strategic plan around changing the club's structure and footballing ethos. ETH will be made to embrace a philosophy that SJR and his technical team have prioritised. If he is happy to abide and forgo all influence on transfers, he could get another season. That won't necessarily be a bad thing.

mythz

Eth spend £400 m on players . And fans are celebrating this victory against possible the worst pl side ever, like we won a cl final.

I miss the old days when it was standards. Just 5 more matches in premier league, hopefully he gets sacked after the fa cup final.

Fallon d'Floor

Last night won me over. I take back anything bad I ever said about the man.

Keeping Sheffield Utd down to just 10 shots with such a weak back four was very impressive. They're a decent side. Much better than the table suggests.

72% possession too. Incredible. INEOS are working their magic already. Well done, Wilcox.

Just wait and see what he can do when the structure is fully in place and they sign players who can take us to the next level with this new possession system he implemented with little time since Sunday. We looked dynamic and didn't rely on individual brilliance.

Casemiro at CB was a masterstroke btw. I think he could maybe play until he's 40 in this new role. Thiago Silva-esque. :drool:

Vidooq

What on earth how ETH shown you that he has the ability to manage us to be the best side in England?

Managers of that level never have seasons like this.
We can discuss how bad this season is, but when Klopp's Liverpool got hit with injuries, they finished outside Top 4. They had some thrashing from Wolves 3-0, Brighton 3-0, Napoli 4-1, Real Madrid 5-2.
Unless you think he is not a manager of a elite level.

I don't know if Ten Hag will turn it around or not, my post was in relation that elite manager's don't have bad seasons. They do.

It remains to be seen if Ten Hag is one.

Fallon d'Floor

We can discuss how bad this season is, but when Klopp's Liverpool got hit with injuries, they finished outside Top 4. They had some thrashing from Wolves 3-0, Brighton 3-0, Napoli 4-1, Real Madrid 5-2.

I don't know if Ten Hag will turn it around or not, my post was in relation that elite manager's don't have bad seasons. They do.

Liverpool weren't below par because of injuries alone last season. The midfield that served them well for years had reached the end of the road. Wijnaldum had already left a year earlier. Fabinho fell of a cliff. He had a very sharpe decline. Henderson simply got old and had too much mileage on the clock. The same goes for Milner. The Ox had become unreliable after years of injury troubles. Liverpool sold/released all four of them last summer and signed 4 new midfielders to replace them. Rejuvenating their midfield worked. The season hasn't ended well, but they've won a trophy and will likely finish on 80+ points again.

Klopp's true genius was finishing 3rd during their injury crisis during the 20/21 season. They took 26 points from their final 10 games with a CB pairing consisting of Rhys Williams and Nathan Phillips. Fabinho even played at CB for some of those games.

They won 4-2 at Old Trafford with Williams and Phillips starting. The latter even assisted a goal.

Real Madrid just won El Clásico with Tchouaméni at CB and Camavinga at LB.

Elite managers can achieve incredible things.

croadyman

So United haven’t been awful for the last 11 years? We haven’t played good football in 11 years with numerous proven managers at the helm. Every single manager we have had has ended in a ball of flames. Every single manager has got worse and worse.. because the rot has set in deeper and deeper. It will only get worse until the root issue is solved. It’s beyond simply changing a manager.

pep wouldn’t win the league at man united. Neither would Klopp. Neither would ancelotti.

this is bigger than a managerial change. We need to try something different and actually BACK a manager. No matter how bad it gets, it will take time, it will get ugly, it won’t be pretty. We knew this. We have known this for a long time. Once the rot is cleared and it’s a totally different team/squad/set up, then the excuses run out.
Agree with everything apart from the bit about backing a manager. That isn't happening from me when a manager gets annihilated at Anfield. Yes the players also have to take some responsibility but facts are he lost control in that second half.

croadyman

Unpopular opinion but I would keep him till next year.
Unpopular to me but don't worry there are plenty of people in here that will agree with you. Will always want us to win games but remain firmly in the camp who wants a managerial change. One positive for the Erik supporters is that a lack of candidates will probably save him for another season.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

If we had the same season this year that Liverpool had last year, nobody would want him out. It’s not even close.

sepulturite

I did not watch the game. Did he try to implement a possession based style in this game or was it the same chaotic ping pong mess again?
There was definitely something different with how we played out there tonight yep. I think he was asked to try something new.

bringbackbebe

Hardly surprising. Fans gave Moyes a standing ovation during his struggles.

United fans have a lot of patience for managers dude to how long SAF was at the club. This send off wouldn't happen at another top club.
Sometimes, when someone is under performing in their job, all it takes is a small pat in the back to get them back on track. Thank god for those fans who are more invested in the club than the CAF armchairs. Turning on your manager is the worst thing a fan can do.

FootballAI

It really wasn't the same shit. Either you didn't watch the game or don't have a clue what your talking about.
Up until the point when Bruno did his magic in the 2nd half, most people do not believe we could beat this soon to be relegated team at home. So it was the same shit football except somebody in our team do show up to work in the 2nd half. The players that he bought at expensive price were rated between poor to very poor today. We has just barely beaten a dysfunctional soon to be relegated team at home.

sepulturite

Up until the point when Bruno did his magic in the 2nd half, most people do not believe we could beat this soon to be relegated team at home. So it was the same shit football except somebody in our team do show up to work in the 2nd half. The players that he bought at expensive price were rated between poor to very poor today. We has just barely beaten a dysfunctional soon to be relegated team at home.
That's not what I'm talking about, so I don't know why your rambling on like you are. I'm not saying it was amazing stuff or anything, I'm just saying there was definitely a difference in how we were set up to play tonight, a blind man could see that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's not what I'm talking about, so I don't know why your rambling on like you are. I'm not saying it was amazing stuff or anything, I'm just saying there was definitely a difference in how we were set up to play tonight, a blind man could see that.
It's hard to say that when the opponent is an extremely shit Sheffield Utd team. It'd have to happen in a few games to see if there's anything actually different.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeh completely. You have to wonder how people make normal decisions in their life everyday if they change their mind this easily, must get nothing done :lol:
I'm actually keeping track of the poll. It's interesting how it changes after every game :D

If today was the start of playing a possession based game, and we see signs of it continuing throughout the end of this season, I could understand people changing their votes when the time comes, but after every game? Though we do have a lot of opposition fans here so you have to take trolling into account!

sepulturite

It's hard to say that when the opponent is an extremely shit Sheffield Utd team. It'd have to happen in a few games to see if there's anything actually different.
Well whatever about if we continue to play like that in next games we'll have to wait and see, all I'm saying is we were definitely set up to play different in this match regardless of the opposition.

sepulturite

I'm actually keeping track of the poll. It's interesting how it changes after every game :D

If today was the start of playing a possession based game, and we see signs of it continuing throughout the end of this season, I could understand people changing their votes when the time comes, but after every game? Though we do have a lot of opposition fans here so you have to take trolling into account!
Yep I agree on that, at least give it a few games before changing your vote! It could all go to shit in the next game the way we've been playing this season :lol:

frostbite

That's nothing. ETH lost 7-0 during his "good" year!

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Standarts have fallen off a cliff.
Controling possession against Sheffield (destroyes by injuries) at OT is enough to convince people Erik deserves another year.
I mean we could have pulled off the same performance against this lot with Bruno as player-coach.

To convince me, we need strong performances against Newcastle, Arsenal and cup final win. Nothing less.
Especially if Newcastle second strings swipe the floor with us again, it will prove that there is zero progress.

Phil

Standarts have fallen off a cliff.
Controling possession against Sheffield (destroyes by injuries) at OT is enough to convince people Erik deserves another year.
I mean we could have pulled off the same performance against this lot with Bruno as player-coach.

To convince me, we need strong performances against Newcastle, Arsenal and cup final win. Nothing less.
Especially if Newcastle second strings swipe the floor with us again, it will prove that there is zero progress.
Yeah you are 100% correct here.

WPMUFC

I really have no idea how much Wilcox has to do with "assessing" Ten Hag. But let's say Ducker is on the money, and Ten Hag has to prove/explain himself to Wilcox, then I'd like to see the following topics explored:

Why do you prioritise Mctominay's ability to arrive late in the box for goal chances higher than controlling the midfield?
No matter the defensive make up of the back 4, why hasn't there been any attempt to stop cut back goals?
How are you going to rectify the conceding of goals moments after you take the lead? And why does it occur?
Are you letting transfer fees impact team selection (Antony)?

There are obviously more things to assess, but i tend to think these are some of the more baffling choices which have got us into this "every game is a heart attack" mentality. I think ETH has to explain and justify them, because I don't think any of us fans can seriously understand it when it plays out week after week without even the slightest sign of experimenting to see if changes can solve issues.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Sometimes, when someone is under performing in their job, all it takes is a small pat in the back to get them back on track. Thank god for those fans who are more invested in the club than the CAF armchairs. Turning on your manager is the worst thing a fan can do.
When you join the cult of the manager and forget what's good for your club. That's the worst thing.