Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Your Liverpool buddy should spend more time worrying about their own Dutch baldy because i doubt it will be plain sailing
I don't know about our resident scousers, but he (and a couple of others i know) have this strange belief that Klopp will become their version of Zidane. Always there for them when duty calls and so on... At least their board made an actual decision. Anyway, i thought it was a funny thought, if we believe that INEOS are seriously considering Southgate. And there's so much dithering going on at United post-Fergie, you couldn't blame anyone for thinking their tactic was to let things get so bad that any change would look like a step in the right direction after a certain point.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I admire @BenitoSTARR's persistent optimism and positivity. I really do. Its even making me think to give Erik another chance going into next season.

I think I'll hire you as my next defence lawyer.
Hopefully I’m never needed :lol:
If the manager was getting the best out of what we had available then yes focus on players first. But he isn't, not anywhere close. Even when he's had his 'best' available we're terrible. So the manager has to go too.

2nd bolded point, again just repeating the obvious, you're not making some groundbreaking prediction there.

The right physical and technical players is something Ten Hag should have identified when spending £400m. He didn't, he was clueless about the demands of the PL.
How do you know he’s not getting the best out of them?

Who do we think could do significantly more? And how do you know it’s Ten Hag holding that player back?

So you agree we are lacking both of those players that are very important for a PL side to be very good?

Is Ten Hag director of football? Is he in charge of transfers? Is he in charge of the spending?
Are both much easier to win the league than any PL, La Liga or Serie A team, which is why you don’t see people giving Poch that much credit for winning the league with PSG. Most seasons Europe is the real test for both.
And even then Tuchel has hardly been dominant and able to do that.

mythz

Not sure what's being debated now, so il go back to my original point. He's obviously not a bad manager just because he had one bad season.

Last season was not a good season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He’s quite clearly shown to be an inadequate coach for the level we aspire to be at. Or even the level we’re at.
Well no, because he's had one bad season off the back off one very good season. This bad season was also shrouded in ownership uncertainty, structural frailties and injury.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We can't keep saying it's just one season when it's clearly been going downhill longer than that.
We can, because objectively speaking he had one good season and one bad season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was neither here nor there with the context of this season. We did nothing to build upon it and even the Champions League qualification was pointless after finishing bottom of a weak group this season.

There was a bit of goodwill but all of that has eroded and more now.
Right, going back to the original point I made, which is echoing Rob Dawson, he's obviously not a "bad" manager just because he had one bad season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Hopefully I’m never needed :lol:

How do you know he’s not getting the best out of them?

Who do we think could do significantly more? And how do you know it’s Ten Hag holding that player back?

So you agree we are lacking both of those players that are very important for a PL side to be very good?

Is Ten Hag director of football? Is he in charge of transfers? Is he in charge of the spending?

We're performing like a borderline relegation candidate by many metrics. Loads could do better.

Yes, Ten Hag has recruited terribly for whatever this style is he wants to play.

He's heavily involved in recruitment and should know a good player and fee when he sees one.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Marcel Brands, DoF PSV and Everton in the past was asked on Dutch TV if he has any advice to give to Arne Slot: "Don't bring in 5 players you trained at your former clubs." Ouch.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The seasons gone, but why not get new guy in now so he can make some assessments about who we have and what we might need ahead of the market opening, instead of someone having to come in cold in the closed season
The manager they want might still be in a job.

stevoc

Mentioned it in an earlier response to Rista. Its the vast majority of the current first team squad.
Well that isn't realistic. But it would also include the majority of Ten Hags signings as well I assume?

Rista

Remember when people used to say "give him until december to see what happens"? I'm seeing the same members saying they want to give him another season now and yet we've been as bad as ever this whole time. It will never change. If he somehow stays then next season it will be "new structure needs time to bed in".

stevoc

If I'm understanding correctly, in order to give Ten Hag the best chance of succeeding, we must completely gut the team he's built, including getting rid of most of the players he specifically chose to improve his team. Only once we've undone all the work Ten Hag has done, will Ten Hag be able to get the best out if the team
Yeah it's madness.

Dannn411

If I'm understanding correctly, in order to give Ten Hag the best chance of succeeding, we must completely gut the team he's built, including getting rid of most of the players he specifically chose to improve his team. Only once we've undone all the work Ten Hag has done, will Ten Hag be able to get the best out if the team
I don't care about Ten Hag and it has nothing to do with Ten Hag.

RedRocket08

So should we not address the personnel issue that is clearly not up to the levels that top football demands first?

We still don’t have our best defence and we haven’t had a LB now for 70% of our season.

We have issues with Rashford who benefits massively from having an overlapping fullback (as do most wide forwards who want to cut inside).

We have issues with our defence and midfield gaps which having Shaw and Martinez (both better defenders and comfortable stepping into midfield) would help resolve.

Is Ten Hag head of recruitment too now and is responsible for deciding the fees we pay?

I’ve said many times now if he leaves I don’t care. I’ll back the next appointment made.

Ive criticised him plenty. I just dont moan incessantly about things that im not sure are his sole responsibility. And when they aren’t his sole responsibility I also acknowledge that context.

I know my position and I’m not happy with this season or 100% convinced on Ten Hag. I know that I enter every discussion in good faith and make an effort to respond, contextualise and clarify my opinion. It’s not a popular one.

People take the piss because they lack the ability to debate the points I make and so it’s easier to try and characterise context as me being Ten Hag, his dad, agent or whatever else.

I maintain you add a CDM and CB of the correct physical and technical levels, and keep the best players we have fit for more of the season like Arsenal and other have and you’d see a significant improvement.

What exactly is the tactical issue in your view. And how much of that is tactical and how much is down to player quality?

Where do you draw that distinction?

What football could we play right now that you believe is better and achievable?

Exactly my point. Ten Hag tries to instil discipline and it’s used against him. I believe Ten Hag has made the right decisions with Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford and Garnacho. Do you n

Tuchel has the same issue or worse (again read up on his season) and nobody wants to mention it?

If we’re going to change managers then we also need to understand why and what the concerns may be. Because you’ll find the parallels in terms of criticism is very similar the difference being Bayern have a better squad, are better set up regardless of manager to dominate their league and still he’s had two seasons where he’s struggled.
I think most would agree, the players are as big, if not bigger (for me, a bigger issue) an issue as the manager - A lot of these players do need to go, and yeah we need those additions in defence and defensive midfield. While Ten Hag has dealt well with a lot of issues correctly, I do think that if his team doesn't have the legs to play the transition football he wants to play, he should have the ability to be a bit more pragmatic and just get the wins (However scrappy they are) against the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth, etc. I have no issues with his man management, I believe he's done that aspect better than Mou, Ole and LVG - I don't think someone like Tuchel will do better in that respect.

I do take issue with his tactics in these easy games he should win, yes of course we've got injuries but we can still win these games if we play with a bit more solidity after we've taken a lead - and I believe that can be coached. I would be OK if he gets a bit more time with a fully fit squad and a couple of additions in the summer to see if he fixes these issues, but I would also be OK with someone like Nagelsmann or Enrique coming in at the end of the season, as long as it's a tactically better coach that doesn't have a prolonged history of falling out with players.

Not going to put some of these transfers solely on the manager, and yes of course we'd play better with our injured players back / if we had better players in certain areas - But we should still be getting past these bottom half / championship teams despite these limitations, our 2nd eleven should be good enough to at least beat 10th in the PL. This is where he comes up short for me, and I hope he's able to address this if he stays next season.

Melville Red

Getting nervous that this imposter will still be here next season
If that happens and I honestly think it’s a big IF and why do I think that? Just look at the way Eric has been acting in press reviews and after match interviews, he’s gone a bit loopy loo I tell you he’s a bit of a loony the performances and criticism has obviously got to the poor chap and he’s not the same as was when he first arrived or indeed through out last season.
Any way if Utd do give him another season, god help both him and Utd and it turns out to be another disaster then I would like to see Ipswich do pretty well and then for us to go for McKenna.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He won the league in both his seasons at PSG, he won the league last year at Bayern and failed this year mainly because of how absurdly good Leverkusen have been (normally this Bayern season would see them crowned as champions). It’s really hard to compare ten Hag’a accolades with Tuchel because clearly they are on a very different level, but it’s not surprising for me that you are now trying to downplay Tuchel to protect the manager you are so immensely in love with.

Marwood

You think after the league cup win to the end of last season was good?

Do you not see similar issues with that period and this season?

stevoc

We've been on a downward trajectory performance and form wise for going on well over a year now. We had 2/3 of a decent season and one horrific season.

He isn't a bad manager, but there's an increasing amount of evidence to suggest he isn't a particularly good one either.

Sarni

Well no, because he's had one bad season off the back off one very good season. This bad season was also shrouded in ownership uncertainty, structural frailties and injury.
He hasn’t had a ‘bad’ season really, he’s had a historically horrible one, and the team has clearly got massively worse during his reign. Basically the only truly good period we had was almost 18 months ago and it has been downhill since March last year.

I think it gets lost on people how horrible this season has been. We are extremely lucky to even be where we are as by all metrics we are a much worse team than 6th/7th. It’s delusional to believe that things are going to take such a drastically different shape when we get Martinez and Shaw back. It’s not an ‘one off bad season’, it’s an abomination.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You think after the league cup win to the end of last season was good?

Do you not see similar issues with that period and this season?
Yes I think the final part of last season wasn't as good. That doesn't change the fact that he had a very good first season.
We've been on a downward trajectory performance and form wise for going on well over a year now.

We had 2/3 of a decent season and one horrific season.
Above.
He hasn’t had a ‘bad’ season really, he’s had a historically horrible one, and the team has clearly got massively worse during his reign. Basically the only truly good period we had was almost 18 months ago and it has been downhill since March last year.

I think it gets lost on people how horrible this season has been. We are extremely lucky to even be where we are as by all metrics we are a much worse team than 6th/7th. It’s delusional to believe that things are going to take such a drastically different shape when we get Martinez and Shaw back. It’s not an ‘one off bad season’, it’s an abomination.
We've also had a historically horrible one with injuries and structural problems. And last season wasn't just good it was very good by way of points and a surprise to all fans that he managed two finals and one cup in the process for a debut year.

So as I said. One bad season doesn't make a manager bad.

Sarni

We’ve also had a historically horrible one with injuries and structural problems. And last season wasn't just good it was very good by way of points and a surprise to all fans that he managed two finals and one cup in the process for a debut year.

It hasn’t really been historically bad in terms of injuries, we aren’t even the worst in the league this season when it comes to that. Certainly not to a point where you can expect a team of this caliber to drop off a cliff like this. The fact we’ve had all our forwards and Bruno available nearly all season yet show almost zero coherence in attack is frankly horrific.

Last season was solid. Our League Cup run was obviously made easy by the fact we played no one decent until the final, and we only really had to beat one good team to get to FA Cup final (also we were at home in every single draw in both competitions). League campaign was better than expected (I thought we would have got between 65 and 72 points, we got more).

It definitely wasn’t amazing to a point where it would render this season any less horrible. The kind of season we are having now, I think only winning a major trophy in the preceding one could give you enough credit to not deserve a sacking.

He’s not a bad manager, he’s just not good enough.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Last season was not a good season.
Last year was a strong over performance. No one expected us to get that many points, certainly no one expected us to hit 2 finals for a manager working out a foreign league with a club effectively in free fall weeks before he came.

stevoc

Yes I think the final part of last season wasn't as good. That doesn't change the fact that he had a very good first season.

Above.

We've also had a historically horrible one with injuries and structural problems. And last season wasn't just good it was very good by way of points and a surprise to all fans that he managed two finals and one cup in the process for a debut year.

We all know United have structural problems and there has been a drawn out takeover process. But neither of those things can be used as an excuse for the level of performances and the tactical ineptitude that has been consistent throughout this season.

Ten Hag isn't a bad manager, I could be proven wrong in the future but I don't think he's good enough for this level. But on top of that I don't think he's shown that he's not a good fit for Manchester United.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It hasn’t really been historically bad in terms of injuries, we aren’t even the worst in the league this season when it comes to that. Certainly not to a point where you can expect a team of this caliber to drop off a cliff like this.

Last season was solid. Our League Cup run was obviously made easy by the fact we played no one decent until the final, and we only really had to beat one good team to get to FA Cup final (also we were at home in every single draw in both competitions). League campaign was better than expected (I thought we would have got between 65 and 72 points, we got more).

It definitely wasn’t amazing to a point where it would render this season any less horrible. The kind of season we are having now, I think only winning a major trophy in the preceding one could give you enough credit to not deserve a sacking.
It is horrible. No team has had the level of injuries concentrated in defence as we have.

Teams would rather have one more injury overall but spread out in different positions, than to have a lot of injuries that effectively entirely decimates the defence. Horrible is the only word to describe our injury situation.

Last season was more than solid. Wind back to all the predictions and the neutrals didn't have us in top 4. He ended up walking it with 8pts between him at 3rd and Liverpool in 5th. He also did it whilst getting to two Cup finals and winning one.

Im not saying that this season isn't horrible by his standards or any standard by the way. I'm saying he has had to deal with a feck ton that many of us don't know about and the injury and structural frailties are pretty massive weights on any coach. He's still been shite this season. But he was very good last season.

One bad season doesn't make a manager bad. He may not be the guy for us, and that's fine. But he's not a bad manager.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We all know United have structural problems and there has been a drawn out takeover process. But neither of those things can be used as an excuse for the level of performances and the tactical ineptitude that has been consistent throughout this season.

Ten Hag isn't a bad manager, I could be proven wrong in the future but I don't think he's good enough for this level. But on top of that I don't think he's shown that he's not a good fit for Manchester United.
I don't think you, or I, or anyone on the forum know the real impact structural issues have on team building, with respect.

I agree he should have still navigated many games better. But as I said, and hat you seem to agree, he's not a bad manager from one bad season.

stevoc

Last year was a strong over performance. No one expected us to get that many points, certainly no one expected us to hit 2 finals for a manager working out a foreign league with a club effectively in free fall weeks before he came.
With the talent in the squad and the resources at the disposal of the manager 70+ points should never be considered some amazing accomplishment.

What are we doing here? We have one of the biggest wage bills and transfer budgets in football. Squad full of international players yet somehow we should feel lucky if we finish above Newcastle.