Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 337 42.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 452 57.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Abhinav

Job is too big for him, clearly out of his depth. It would be for most managers. Probably all of them, except Fergie.

We dont have the structure in place, like Ajax etc.
It shows when the guy is targeting former players and everyone is watching and flowing with it. We are just mismanaged and rotten from top to bottom. Should have let Rangnick implement a working structure the next 2-3 years. Now it is more of the same, just a different clueless manager. Like LvG said, we are a commercial club, no football structure whatsoever.
:lol: Took you 1 game turn on him. Get a grip, we were in deep mess last year. No one is going to come in and turn around the club in a few months. Not with this structure and owners.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Every manager makes mistakes. Pep made plenty especially in his first season at City and Klopp had his fair share too. It's about learning from mistakes. Nobody should've been expecting us to come out of the gates flying, I know some fans don't like to hear it but the fact is we're in a transition period and it's going to take some patience for ten Hag to implement his ideas. He's trying to revamp how we play and of course to change the mentality of the squad after an atrocious season. It was never going to happen overnight.
Well, let's say avoidable mistakes then. He is a great manager but now he needs to find a solution rather quickly, while the rest of the club's mess does not really help him either

OleksUsykUD

I'm not mad that we lost, but it was expected. The current team and our transfer window failure so far it's all up to him. It was his choice to stay and being stubborn over a guy that don't want to leave his club, and changing the country he lives in.

On top of that DeJonh is extremely overrated by people on here. Barca fans want him, cause he never show that he is a world class. He looked good in Ajax, but failed to reach his "potential". And here we go he is 3 years older, yet Barcelona want us to pay 100m., which will be 25+ more for what they pay for 3 years younger player that was supposed to become World Class, but he failed in that.

On top of that he is on huge wage, which should have been a hard no from the very beginning. You should be flexible on the market, and have alternative over alternative, otherwise you are bound to fail.

Our club have spend tons of money for bang average managers, and our squad is absolutely dreadful, because we are bringing players that cost 80+ millions.

We should have learn that lesson and our board should have said hard no long ago to both Frenkie and Antony. Hell we shouldn't even paid the 50-60m. for Martinez, who is a short CB, who on top of that is not a quick player. Absolutely terrible recruitment by Erik ten Hag.

The failed window and the current players is all on him, and also on the board to be totally incompetent and bend that easy and being that soft.

The money are there from what i see, it's just our manager want high fee transfer, 50-60m. on Martinez, 70-80 for DeJong, and we have a rejected bid for Antony at around 50-60m.

This is close to 200m. and there was probably even more money. Who is the fault, that he is so stubborn and totally not flexible, and doesn't have alternative targets?

Sviken

For all the talk about how we need more players, Brighton lost their two best players in the Summer, had Welbeck upfront, had young Caicedo in midfield and the team on paper looked very ordinary. I don’t buy that our team is so weak that we should be getting outplayed by them to this extent.
There's a difference in that this is by and large Potter's team. One he has coached for years. This was... what? Ten Hag's 1st match, excluding the friendlies? It's a shitty loss, but you guys are making it seem like the end of the world. Neither Klopp or Pep performed miracles in their first season and anyone who expected for us suddenly to become a dominating team with McFred is out of their mind.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The fact that we can go only after players in his network shows that the club has no working structure. It's really bad and it means EtH will have it so difficult

R'hllor

More weird stuff coming out from you again.
Nothing weird about it, maybe its you, seems you have nothing else for discussion than just call something weird, not gonna waste my time on you. Have a nice evening.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
For all the talk about how we need more players, Brighton lost their two best players in the Summer, had Welbeck upfront, had young Caicedo in midfield and the team on paper looked very ordinary. I don’t buy that our team is so weak that we should be getting outplayed by them to this extent.
Our team looks pretty ordinary on paper. Then you have the likes of De Gea who sound good on paper to many but in reality Sanchez (weaker 'on paper') is a far better keeper for playing good football.

DSG

I think it’s too early to panic, even with the poor performance today.

Transfers this summer have been underwhelming, not that we haven’t gotten good players, it’s just the failure to buy midfielders. What was the team thinking?

If we are mired in 8th in December, I think serious doubts will begin to creep in.

For now, I fully support Ten Hag. We have 3 weeks to do business. Hopefully we’ll play better next week vs Brentford.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The fact that we can go only after players in his network shows that the club has no working structure. It's really bad and it means EtH will have it so difficult
This is the fundamental issue which continues to remain unaddressed. No manager would succeed here.

Real Name

Job is too big for him, clearly out of his depth. It would be for most managers. Probably all of them, except Fergie.

We dont have the structure in place, like Ajax etc.
It shows when the guy is targeting former players and everyone is watching and flowing with it. We are just mismanaged and rotten from top to bottom. Should have let Rangnick implement a working structure the next 2-3 years. Now it is more of the same, just a different clueless manager. Like LvG said, we are a commercial club, no football structure whatsoever.
Good you have him time to judge.

Trophy Room

He is kinda screwed, he has too many players in the first 11 that are not suited to the philosophy that ten hag is trying to implement-

De gea - he is not a sweeper keeper and he showed it again and you can feel in the stadium that everyone worries when the ball is at his feet.

Dalot - he bang average going forward and defending, there was countless times where he should played the ball into the box and he cowardly passes sideways instead.

Maguire - he will never be able to play a high line.

Fred, bruno and mctominay - poor in possession and will never be able to control a match.

Then there is also rashford who is technically poor with constant heavy touches when receiving/dribbling with the ball, as well misplacing passes and holding onto the ball too long.
I think this is the biggest issue. Add to this, the confidence of the players is shot after last year. They just reverted into shell after the goals. OT has also become toxic. It’s not a supportive environment anymore understandably. This is not going to change in 1 transfer window. It’ll take a few seasons. We’ll get there, I like Ten Hag - he’s a very good coach.

EtH

It's interesting that so many were dismissive of potters abilities to do the United job over the summer
Brighton’s squad looks more like a ten Hag side than ours does. You can’t polish a turd.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Frankly, he completely out coached Ten Hag today. The press execution, how they were on McFred in a flash, knowing our weaknesses, the defensive set up.

Ten Hag has a long way to go. I don’t feel we were well prepared for Brighton today.
That’s the difference between a coach who’s been working with a team for years and one who’s been working with them for weeks. Brighton have looked like a well oiled machine ever since they got promoted. We’ve looked like an absolute shambles going back years. It’s going to take a long long time to whip us into shape. Doesn’t help that two of the players who started only joined the rest of the squad one fecking week ago.

Xaviboy

Needs time but going in to season with McFred as his midfield is shocking

I hope to god when he does his analysis work after today he relises he has made huge mistake and desperate need of midfield reinforcements.

De Jong won't be enough.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Who exactly is this Ajax players ?

And what do you know about FDJ or not stance ? What if there is a guarantee that he will join us when the dues are cleared ?

So not exactly lot of mistakes? 2 transfer issues which isn't even connected to today's game.

Ok thanks !!
whAt If tHEre is A GuaRAnteE hE WiLl JoiN…one of the grandest delusions of the cafe in recent years. He’s not coming, he’d be mad to come. It’s been dead weeks now.

It was timber, then Antony and Martinez…we wanted to hijack brobbey, FDJ is only because of him playing under him at Ajax. I’m sure there were rumours of us trying to hijack one of the Bayern deals as well. No actual scouted players.

Absolute rose tinted glasses on the squad after supposedly analysing them for months. But hey he says they can be trained, despite the fact that like 4 managers have tried and failed.

He has my full backing for the foreseeable future, but some of the decisions are baffling. The management above him I have zero patience for, they’ve already been proven incompetent, so if ETH off field decisions aren’t as good as his on field then we have no hope.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Nobody is fecking turning on him. It's constructive criticism.
To be fair if you read many of the posts in this thread, there are. It’s a mixture of people who have written him off (wrongly), people who think you can’t have constructive criticism without writing him off (wrongly), and people who know he needs time but can still offer things that should be fixed. Although the latter list of things isn’t largely ETHs fault except some.

Matt851

That’s the difference between a coach who’s been working with a team for years and one who’s been working with them for weeks. Brighton have looked like a well oiled machine ever since they got promoted. We’ve looked like an absolute shambles going back years. It’s going to take a long long time to whip us into shape. Doesn’t help that two of the players who started only joined the rest of the squad one fecking week ago.
Think there is also something about working with lower profile players who aren't so full of themselves (incorrectly)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's McFred I think. Those two could turn rome against the pope. Midfield killers, Manager killers and now approval rating killer. In Mctominay's case he didn't even need 45 minutes to waste his clean slate.
:lol:

Vapor trail

Starting to think Conte was the better choice

United job is too big for Ten Hag. Going after the likes of Arnautovic...clueless
In hindsight it would have been a correct choice. What I can't understand is the ego amongst many United fans including the likes of Neville, like Conte who has won league's in a multitude of countries is beneath Manchester United when the whole purpose of a competitive club team is to win at the highest level. Since when has winning not been the sole motivation and ambition to do anything ?

I believe ETH will come good only if the conditions are correct for him. Murtough has already shown a severe lack of judgement concerning some of his decisions. Murtough is 100% the most expandable individual out of the CEO and manager. He should be getting the large brunt of the stick if this window doesn't improve along with the teams performances. Theres so much incompetence over anything the Glazers put their hands on it's impossible not to question the higher ups.

Fooza

Because everyone isn't holding hands in a circle and being overly positive in the face of obvious problems?

When did critical thinking and sharing opinions become toxic behaviour?
You didn't agree with him, that's toxic behaviour.

BlueHaze

I'm not mad that we lost, but it was expected. The current team and our transfer window failure so far it's all up to him. It was his choice to stay and being stubborn over a guy that don't want to leave his club, and changing the country he lives in.

On top of that DeJonh is extremely overrated by people on here. Barca fans want him, cause he never show that he is a world class. He looked good in Ajax, but failed to reach his "potential". And here we go he is 3 years older, yet Barcelona want us to pay 100m., which will be 25+ more for what they pay for 3 years younger player that was supposed to become World Class, but he failed in that.

On top of that he is on huge wage, which should have been a hard no from the very beginning. You should be flexible on the market, and have alternative over alternative, otherwise you are bound to fail.

Our club have spend tons of money for bang average managers, and our squad is absolutely dreadful, because we are bringing players that cost 80+ millions.

We should have learn that lesson and our board should have said hard no long ago to both Frenkie and Antony. Hell we shouldn't even paid the 50-60m. for Martinez, who is a short CB, who on top of that is not a quick player. Absolutely terrible recruitment by Erik ten Hag.

The failed window and the current players is all on him, and also on the board to be totally incompetent and bend that easy and being that soft.

The money are there from what i see, it's just our manager want high fee transfer, 50-60m. on Martinez, 70-80 for DeJong, and we have a rejected bid for Antony at around 50-60m.

This is close to 200m. and there was probably even more money. Who is the fault, that he is so stubborn and totally not flexible, and doesn't have alternative targets?
What goes on behind the scenes we do not know but I agree with much of this post.

Matt851

In hindsight it would have been a correct choice. What I can't understand is the ego amongst many United fans including the likes of Neville, like Conte who has won league's in a multitude of countries is beneath Manchester United when the whole purpose of a competitive club team is to win at the highest level. Since when has winning not been the sole motivation and ambition to do anything ?

I believe ETH will come good only if the conditions are correct for him. Murtough has already shown a severe lack of judgement concerning some of his decisions. Murtough is 100% the most expandable individual out of the CEO and manager. He should be getting the large brunt of the stick if this window doesn't improve along with the teams performances. Theres so much incompetence over anything the Glazers put their hands on it's impossible not to question the higher ups.
It was also the best choice at the time. He was by far the best qualified candidate even though I do think ETH is a good manager.

He would also have demanded high standards and action from our board. Unfortunately that was probably why we didn't go for him

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
As I said a few days ago, he's being set up to fail by the ineptitude that surrounds him.

Will be interesting to see how quickly the powers that be will push him out in front to take the blame. You'd have to think he has a free pass this season, but I suspect it won't take long before the pressure on the club starts to build.

Or maybe signing Arnautovic will turn it all around :lol:

MrSingh2002

Poor performance from ETH today too.

Starting Maguire, Shaw, McTominay and Fred.

Not making enough changes early enough for players to have an impact when Shaw, Bruno, Sancho and Rashford were clearly dead out there.

yeti

absolute shambles of a close season . 3 weeks to get minimum 4 players

right back
2 midfielders
1 forward

lets hope ETH realises this.

also if Shaw is ahead of Tyrell Malacia why did he buy him? Shaw was poor again today

BlueHaze

As I said a few days ago, he's being set up to fail by the ineptitude that surrounds him.

Will be interesting to see how quickly the powers that be will push him out in front to take the blame. You'd have to think he has a free pass this season, but I suspect it won't take long before the pressure on the club starts to build.

Or maybe signing Arnautovic will turn it all around :lol:
Will say though however, that if he has actually walked up to the board and said hey, get me arnautovic truth is he's exactly as inept as them. I will give him the benefit of the doubt but starting McFred today has already tarnished my view of him.

MrSingh2002

If he doesn't bring in Varane for Maguire and Malacia for Shaw in the very next game I'm done already with him.

Changed needed are clear and we have their replacements in the squad in Martinez and Malacia. His own signings.

Never thought he could've started this badly today even with the squad we had for today's game.

We can carry a poor attacker if we'd chose Elanga instead of Martial. But we can't carry Maguire, Shaw, Fred and McTominay.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
EtH likes his strange signings like Tadic, Haller etc Arnautovic is 100 percent his choice but you have to be sure that he will make it work. I have no doubts that he will do a fine job at United but the competition is brutal.. The title!? Not a chance until Pep walks off..

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This is the fundamental issue which continues to remain unaddressed. No manager would succeed here.
Yep.

Before we fix our fundamental approach to these constant "rebuilds", we'll be sat there hoping blindly for a "manager" who also happens to be a genius DOF.

A "rebuild" doesn't mean hiring a new "manager" and go for whoever he wants to add to the team.

Ten Hag is potentially a very important piece of the puzzle - but he is not the most important one. And if it turns out that Murtough and/or Arnold is/are useless, it hardly matters how good he is. We'll be back to sacking him when the results get bad enough (which could happen sooner than we think) - same old story.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Why wouldn’t he sanction a €30m move each for Tielemans and Fabian Ruiz? At least that makes sense over a €10m move for Arnautovic.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
EtH likes his strange signings like Tadic, Haller etc Arnautovic is 100 percent his choice but you have to be sure that he will make it work. I have no doubts that he will do a fine job at United but the competition is brutal.. The title!? Not a chance until Pep walks off..
Title? I’d actually be happy if he finish in the top half of the table of the table.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
whAt If tHEre is A GuaRAnteE hE WiLl JoiN…one of the grandest delusions of the cafe in recent years. He’s not coming, he’d be mad to come. It’s been dead weeks now.

It was timber, then Antony and Martinez…we wanted to hijack brobbey, FDJ is only because of him playing under him at Ajax. I’m sure there were rumours of us trying to hijack one of the Bayern deals as well. No actual scouted players.

Absolute rose tinted glasses on the squad after supposedly analysing them for months. But hey he says they can be trained, despite the fact that like 4 managers have tried and failed.

He has my full backing for the foreseeable future, but some of the decisions are baffling. The management above him I have zero patience for, they’ve already been proven incompetent, so if ETH off field decisions aren’t as good as his on field then we have no hope.
No,you put in an assumption regardinf FDJ and I put another one. Your assumption is as good as mine or we both know feck all. There was no credible rumor of hijacking Bayern players . It's just a media BS which you happen to believe.

Basically you are crying because 3 Ajax players were strongly linked with us and we signed one of them .

Nice ,oh yes - still waiting for the list of mistakes he did.

OleksUsykUD

What goes on behind the scenes we do not know but I agree with much of this post.
Yeah we don't know what exactly is going on, but it's pretty much obvious that he want a specific targets and doesn't have ready in alternative, and doesn't want to move from them.

I'm still mad that we let Tottenham get a players like Yves Bissouma for just 25 million, and we screw our whole transfer window chasing targets that cost fortunate and one of them is happy with his current team.

The other one wants to come(Antony), but Ajax doesn't want to sell, unless we break the bank for him. This is just stupid business that pretty much leads us to the terrible position we currently are.

Yet Tottenham are buying 21 years old winger for 35m. that is shockingly good. Somehow only we can't find decent players that don't cost at least 50+m.

I like Erik ten Hag and wants him to success, but he also got a huge chunk of blame for the transfer mess this summer.

We should have shipped a lot more players, and also trying to bring a lot more players, not focusing on 1-2 high fee players that are not even sure they are going to be successful(you never can tell for sure who will success and fail, but i'm not sold on Martinez, DeJong and Antony to be fair).