Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

I have quite obviously been very critical of his season and had doubts about his suitability but up until that point I had little issue with him staying until at least the end of his contract. But this kind of statement is a big problem for me, you are supposed to expect to win every game or at least you want your players to enter the field believing that they are winning the game, that they are the better team and the better individuals. Realistically you are not going to win every games but it's extremely important to believe that you will and when a manager starts to undermine that belief you create a culture of expecting and accepting losses and good luck trying to reverse that especially when you are molding young players.

He's a bit of an iffy judge of character is Haggy.

People often say ETH is a good guy and it’s always been confusing as to why people think that. Most things point towards quite the opposite. Promes, Overmars, Greenwood, Arnoutavic. Best available knowledge points towards him being on the wrong side of all those issues.

But Arsenal were not seeing any progress post Emery (apart from conceding less) for 1.5 seasons, and huge portions were Arteta out up until the season he finished 5th. They stuck by him when he was showing more failure than Eric Ten Hag and the rest is history.

The narrative by some fans here is Arteta deserved time because it was his first job (bit of a weird narrative, because if anything that's a reason to sack him since he was showing he wasn't ready until much later). In any case, Ten Hag doesnt have nearly the same margin for error.
I'm talking behind the scenes though, not the immediate results on the field. Edu came in and obviously wasn't happy with the fundamentals that he saw from Emery, so he fired him and bought in Arteta. He then liked what he saw from Arteta and gave him more time. Wilcox (and the others) on the flip side have come in to Utd and, if they do sack ETH, obviously haven't been happy with the fundamentals. If that's the case, why would they keep him?

Arteta came into a team that hadn't finished in the top four for three seasons and had currently only won 5 of their first 16 league games. He proceeded to improve season on season, ultimately challenging for the title in his third and fourth full seasons.

ETH came into a team that had finished in the top three in two of their previous three seasons. The fact that he did better than Arteta's first full season is to be expected. However the trajectory couldn't be more different, with us not only getting worse in his second season, but more importantly getting worse the longer the season wore on despite the fact he was getting more time to train the players and getting many of his injured players back for a couple of months (before many of them got injured again).

Sorry but just no :lol:

These people live in a world of their own!

On the field, he came off a terrible season where he cost us fa cup and Europa, and shat the bed several times in the league (e.g., West ham) and was completely unsuitable for a progressive team who wants to pass the ball.

Of the field, he was a 33 year old who's contract ran out who rejected a new deal probably cause he wanted assurances of being first team, lengthy contract and a salary of 150k+/week. HE rejected our offer and has not been able to find a club since (that is a whole year!). What sane person would suggest offering a contract was the right choice?

For all Onanas faults pre-Jan, he's been solid post Jan and, accounting for the number of shots he has to face, has done tremendously well to get 9 clean sheets and to be nominated for the TotS. I'm confident he'll come good next year. Why are people so incredibly impatient??

Aye. Ten Hag doesn't seem to care what people do outside of the football world though, as long as they're of use to him in a football sense they're alright in his book.

His moral compass is totally off and he doesn't even have the awareness the keep these indefensible views to himself.

Why is this the "worst possible time"?

ETH must do his best because nobody will be keen to hire him, like Ole. The players will be keen to do their best because their next manager will be watching (whoever that might be). Both the manager and the players have more incentives to do well in the final.

History shows this isn't true, just wishful thinking. When a team knows a manager is leaving, voluntarily or otherwise, they lose motivation, and the manager loses authority.

Look at Liverpool under Klopp this season for an example, or Fergie himself admitting that happened when he announced his retirement the first time. For a close to identical example, City lost to Wigan in the FA Cup final when it was leaked that Mancini was getting sacked.

So yes, it's quite obviously the worst possible time.

Aye. Ten Hag doesn't seem to care what people do outside of the football world though, as long as they're of use to him in a football sense they're alright in his book.

Same could be said for Arteta and Guardiola, they've kept playing the Flash and Partey.

I'm sure there's much more we just never hear about it.

It’s a shame but the more he speaks, the less I like him. Watching the 99 documentary on Amazon Prime, his mentality compared to even the squad players from back then is totally different. He gets a lot of unfair stick but you don’t go public saying people are never satisfied, this is Manchester United, he himself shouldn’t be satisfied with 3rd and a cup, regardless of his feelings about his squad.

It’s a shame but the more he speaks, the less I like him. Watching the 99 documentary on Amazon Prime, his mentality compared to even the squad players from back then is totally different. He gets a lot of unfair stick but you don’t go public saying people are never satisfied, this is Manchester United, he himself shouldn’t be satisfied with 3rd and a cup, regardless of his feelings about his squad.

He doesn't get unfair stick.

This interview has done more harm than good. Glad he's leaving post final. My guess Is a week or so until announce

Why has he only just starting the fighting talk now?

2 years of letting people walk over the club and now he’s biting back. Why now?

Ten Hag unhappy about British media criticism of United while spending half his interview criticising the running of Ajax is very funny

It's not an unreasonable comment - we haven't really been relevant since 2012 and admission is the first step to progress. Fans hate to hear it, but its a fact.

I doubt the fans expect to win the PL next season. However, he is 2 years into his job and has spent the better part of half a billion pounds! And yet he talks about “if we sign so many more, we will try to aim for top 4 again”!

I don’t know about you, but if the boss is as dull and as lacking in ambition as him, we are going nowhere. Best decision Ineos have made so far if these leaks are true. He should be nowhere near our club.

I doubt the fans expect to win the PL next season. However, he is 2 years into his job and has spent the better part of half a billion pounds! And yet he talks about “if we sign so many more, we will try to aim for top 4 again”!

I don’t know about you, but if the boss is as dull and as lacking in ambition as him, we are going nowhere. Best decision Ineos have made so far if these leaks are true. He should be nowhere near our club.
He didn't waste half a billion, Murtough did.

He also said that the team has not won the title for 11 years, we are not Man utd of old.

Interestingly in the documentary they were talking about how much work it took before we got to that point, they also spoke about the loss of Keano on the team allowed Arsenal to win the league - that was one player, people forget that season. Even the 99 season losing Scholes that last game I was worried.

I didn't even think about until today, but was losing Shaw the biggest loss over Martinez, because this also had an effect on Rashford and our left side.

He also said that the team has not won the title for 11 years, we are not Man utd of old.

Interestingly in the documentary they were talking about how much work it took before we got to that point, they also spoke about the loss of Keano on the team allowed Arsenal to win the league - that was one player, people forget that season. Even the 99 season losing Scholes that last game I was worried.

I didn't even think about until today, but was losing Shaw the biggest loss over Martinez, because this also had an effect on Rashford and our left side.
Losing World class players like Keane and Scholes is obviously going to impact the team. But we continued to stay competitive and challenge for trophies regardless of injuries.

Here we're talking about Shaw and Martinez, hardly legendary players, and we've not only failed to be competitive, we've sunk to midtable and been humiliated in the CL and against numerous teams.

There is a very large gap between performances dropping off a bit due to injuries, and completely imploding to the extent we have.

Ten Hag would do well to reflect on his own performance as a manager and learn from his glaring mistakes and weaknesses, instead of stubbornly blaming everyone else and making excuses, as if us not winning the league for 11 years makes it OK to be as bad as we are. He's fecking deluded