Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

crossy1686

career ending
But Arsenal were not seeing any progress post Emery (apart from conceding less) for 1.5 seasons, and huge portions were Arteta out up until the season he finished 5th. They stuck by him when he was showing more failure than Eric Ten Hag and the rest is history.

The narrative by some fans here is Arteta deserved time because it was his first job (bit of a weird narrative, because if anything that's a reason to sack him since he was showing he wasn't ready until much later). In any case, Ten Hag doesnt have nearly the same margin for error.

Arsenal sentiment was loud and clear after they finished 8th for a second time. They were only appeased after he finished 5th (again, out of the CL).

Sounds kneejerk. Onana made some howlers and Rashford got a red that was never a red. Yes we were far too open and thats on Ten Hag, he could and should have navigated those games better than he did. But he should be allowed to make his own mistakes as he adapts to a squad that needs a ton of fixing, and as they adapt to him.
It’s not knee jerk, the last group game was the middle of December. I remember saying I’ll be amazed if he’s still at the club come November, that’s how bad things were during that time. We were out played by any team with a semblance of organisation. He’s made mistakes time and time again and has shown no intention of learning from them.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's on our and Chelsea's shortlist. That guy seems to be suggesting it's all down to Frank's PR.
The SEG guys are as salty as Ten Hag. A good match for each other. Honestly who do these guys think they are? Getting way too big for their boots.

And I like how he says "PR guy". Not agent. A slight insight into the fact that SEG have PR guys working for them and Ten Hag? No surprises there with some of the takes in the media.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The SEG guys are as salty as Ten Hag. A good match for each other. Honestly who do these guys think they are? Getting way too big for their boots.
To be fair SEG is a massive agency which makes the tweet particularly silly.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
ETH: "Get me De Jong and Casemiro, but don't spend and more than £30m. And by the way, these guys are imperative to the way I want to play, so make it happen"
Yeah we both know he didn't say that. And it's pretty wild you're saying Ten Hag was the one who said get me Casemiro. Keep making things up though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This mean Thomas Frank could be new manager?
No it means Frank has been in a shortlist for top clubs, Manchester United and Chelsea through no supposedly actual substance, so his PR must be phenomenal.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It’s not knee jerk, the last group game was the middle of December. I remember saying I’ll be amazed if he’s still at the club come November, that’s how bad things were during that time. We were out played by any team with a semblance of organisation. He’s made mistakes time and time again and has shown no intention of learning from them.
Yeah, he was persisting with a style that the squad wasn't suited to at the time. But you were isolating the CL in your initial post.

Rista

I don't know why so many people find him "likeable". Guy talks like he's Mourinho with nothing to back it with. Also, he wants new signings, a fully fit team and then his goal would be to "try to aim for top 4 again"? How ambitious. Should have been sacked way sooner.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He said himself, just last week, he wanted De Jong and Casemiro. Keep up.
That was when he was asked if he wanted DeJong OR Casemiro. He said both in light of profile.
He wanted a ball player and a DM. Athletic said he wanted a DM - he had none. The club were made of Casemiro's availability and opted to go for him over Rice because of the lower initial outlay, despite Rice being cheaper on FFP. This is all from the Athletic.

Keep up.

Judas

Open to offers
If next season his aim with a healthy squad (with a load of new signings as well) would have been to aim for top 4, what was the goal for this season if everyone had stayed fit? Did he not think this current crop was good enough to aim for top 4? Didn't we finish 3rd last season?

Djemba-Djemba

I think he was overdoing it with how confident he was that he was staying, either to almost embarrass INEOS into keeping him or to make him look like he's been lied to and betrayed when he's inevitably sacked.

He cannot honestly think guiding Utd to their worst season in 35 years wouldn't result in him getting sacked? He's not stupid, he has to have known for a while he was never getting another season as Utd manager.

buchansleftleg

This mean Thomas Frank could be new manager?
Given the timing I think it suggests Frank was an unsuccessful candidate and his PR decided to leak.

Typically you tell the other candidates once you have concluded negotiations with your chosen appointee. Then you go out to other candidates and say thanks but no thanks.

The successful candidate isn't going to leak, unless you are a shit stirrer like Mourinho.

Frank will know from his feedback that the "trigger" has been pulled, but won't know who has won.

When we had this situation with LVG it was all with talk about Mou coming in.

That the new manager isn't being named, says it was leaked by an also ran, desperate to promote themselves as being "in contention" for a top job.

I think McKenna will get offered the job because he will be the cheapest option.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
His "heritage" moment. Both were absolutely correct in describing the current state of the club, but neither had the answers.

LordSpud

A win today puts him joint most successful manager since SAF (I would have Mou ahead though due to a European instead of a domestic). Let's hope he goes out on a high.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Majority of fans do, this forum is on a level of Facebook groups nowadays. A poll of 1500 people? Actual, relevant polls, you know with 10k+ votes, indicate 70% of fans understand what’s needed for this club to change, and it’s not sacking a manager every 18 months.
Where is this poll?

Max_United

I'm talking behind the scenes though, not the immediate results on the field. Edu came in and obviously wasn't happy with the fundamentals that he saw from Emery, so he fired him and bought in Arteta. He then liked what he saw from Arteta and gave him more time. Wilcox (and the others) on the flip side have come in to Utd and, if they do sack ETH, obviously haven't been happy with the fundamentals. If that's the case, why would they keep him?

Arteta came into a team that hadn't finished in the top four for three seasons and had currently only won 5 of their first 16 league games. He proceeded to improve season on season, ultimately challenging for the title in his third and fourth full seasons.

ETH came into a team that had finished in the top three in two of their previous three seasons. The fact that he did better than Arteta's first full season is to be expected. However the trajectory couldn't be more different, with us not only getting worse in his second season, but more importantly getting worse the longer the season wore on despite the fact he was getting more time to train the players and getting many of his injured players back for a couple of months (before many of them got injured again).
The irony is also that those who advocate giving EtH another season would not have advocated to sack Emery at the time in the first place.

He had a good CV and a very reasonable first season (improving on last Wenger‘s season in the League, Europa League final), his second season started as a car crash but it was similar with EtH. And all in all you can make a good argument that he is a better manager than EtH.

Yet they sacked him and it turned out to be a correct decision. As it was correct to sack 95% of managers who were good somewhere else but did not make a step up at the top PL club. Yet people continue to cherry pick Arteta example.

But the question that a reasonable owner/DoF should be posing is not „is there at least one somewhat similar case when a manager turned it around so that we can justify sticking with this underperforming manager?“ but „on the balance of probabilities given his performance and CV is it more likely than not that he turns it around under better structure?“

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
You cannot have a manager in a position like United’s that in anyway tries to sportswash what Overmars did.

Call it virtue signalling or whatever but I’ve found my line.

hobbers

While city celebrate are lifting the cup maybe we have a separate ceremony for handing ETH his p45? Really overshadow their trophy celebrations

Rojofiam

People often say ETH is a good guy and it’s always been confusing as to why people think that. Most things point towards quite the opposite. Promes, Overmars, Greenwood, Arnoutavic. Best available knowledge points towards him being on the wrong side of all those issues.
How do you know he was aware about Arnautovic?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You cannot have a manager in a position like United’s that in anyway tries to sportswash what Overmars did.

Call it virtue signalling or whatever but I’ve found my line.
Come on Mama Hag, it's disgraceful to throw Erik under the bus straight away. :nono:

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Come on Mama Hag, it's disgraceful to throw Erik under the bus straight away. :nono:
Na done.

Injuries he’s had little to no control over which means I can understand our league position.

This he can get in the bin for.