Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Na done.

Injuries he’s had little to no control over which means I can understand our league position.

This he can get in the bin for.
Isn't this the same guy that kept playing Promes despite all his crimes and wanted Greenwood back in the team? Are you really surprised about this?

TsuWave

Trying to frame it as “I finished third with a cup and they weren’t satisfied” is just so dishonest. He retained support and goodwill of the fanbase and club after the first season.

With the investment made, guy had us finish 8th - with a substantial number of metrics suggesting we should have finished lower - and played some of the worst football we’ve ever played in the prem.

Please just go away.

Last edited:

frostbite

I said this yesterday. The journalists state a well placed source at the club as the source of the information. It only benefits him that this news has been leaked.
After seeing the tweets from his interview, I agree with you. He is a stubborn, egotistical guy, and he is trying to blame everyone else for his failures. Leaking his sacking before the game would make him a victim somehow.

crossy1686

career ending
Trying to frame it as “I finished third with a cup and they weren’t satisfied” is just so dishonest. He retained support and goodwill of the fanbase and club after the first season.

With the investment made, guy had us finish 8th - with a substantial number of metric suggesting we should have finished lower - and played some of the worst football we’ve played in the prem.

Please just go away.
He's gaslighting people at this point. Last season he tried to get the best out of the squad he had available to him, this season he's abandoned that because he wants them to play a certain way instead and they're not capable. You can't just do that to people who have worked hard to get to the point where they currently are, that's the quickest way to lose the teams backing. We know we're not going to win the league any time soon so I'm not sure why he's talking like we're now in a better place for having had this season?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's saying shit really hit the fan after Rui left and there was no filter between Jose and the players.
It's not the filter part that is the most important thing even though he allegedly was a filter. Rui Faria was Mourinho's fitness coach.

LJJT

Not posted for a long time on here but I think it’s a complete and utter disgrace what the club and much of the fan base is becoming. Today is cup final day and it’s dominated by negativity and controversy. We have no class or decorum, no respect or rights for any thing and I hate the way we are yet again going to throw another good man under the bus to protect another year of big contract pay for a squad of players who are in the majority just milking the club and our good nature for all they can get. Ole was criticised for being too soft we all wanted a hard line head master to come in and clear out the pretenders and the goings got tough and we’ve not stood by him.

Scanny

Not posted for a long time on here but I think it’s a complete and utter disgrace what the club and much of the fan base is becoming. Today is cup final day and it’s dominated by negativity and controversy. We have no class or decorum, no respect or rights for any thing and I hate the way we are yet again going to throw another good man under the bus to protect another year of big contract pay for a squad of players who are in the majority just milking the club and our good nature for all they can get. Ole was criticised for being too soft we all wanted a hard line head master to come in and clear out the pretenders and the goings got tough and we’ve not stood by him.
Careful now. Sensible posts like this won’t get you anywhere. This is the internet and you must remember to be completely OTT about everything at all times.

Rista

Manager good. Players and the entire club bad.

JPRouve

Scout
Ironically, I think that post was pretty OTT.
Especially when everything applies to the manager who is also trying to milk an other year of his contract and who for some reason decided to give an interview where he says controversial things days before the cup final. Class and decorum.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That's because he doesn't have the results and irrespective of him staying or leaving the squad is going to see decent changes this Summer. We aren't going to fall into the same trap as previous seasons, far too much noise about players being put on the transfer market.

If we lose today it's our 20th loss this season. Our shit form started after the League Cup win last season. It's ok to accept a Manager isn't cut out for the top, just like it's ok to sell a player quickly if they're also terrible. This notion that we have to back the Manager no matter what needs to stop. You back the RIGHT Manager not EVERY manager. He's just not it, which sucks because I really thought he'd be excellent here. Oh well.

JPRouve

Scout
That's because he doesn't have the results and irrespective of him staying or leaving the squad is going to see decent changes this Summer. We aren't going to fall into the same trap as previous seasons, far too much noise about players being put on the transfer market.

If we lose today it's our 20th loss this season. Our shit form started after the League Cup win last season. It's ok to accept a Manager isn't cut out for the top, just like it's ok to sell a player quickly if they're also terrible. This notion that we have to back the Manager no matter what needs to stop. You back the RIGHT Manager not EVERY manager. He's just not it, which sucks because I really thought he'd be excellent here. Oh well.
It's for a different thread but in my opinion players don't even have to be terrible. Unless the player is exceptional, you should consider the idea of going in a different direction while their market value is still high, it gives you more chances to find that exceptional player while reducing the cost of the search.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I don't think anyone is letting the players get away, the manager in his own right has shot himself in the foot and deserves to be sacked if he is indeed let go.

Everyone agrees that a clear out is needed.

Eriku

Did he really say that we were better than City in last year’s final? As I recall it felt like we were never really in it and that they were on cruise control. Might be wrong, it’s not as if I’ve bothered to re-watch the final, but my first thought is yet another attempt at reframing that comes across as delusional.

LJJT

I don't think anyone is letting the players get away, the manager in his own right has shot himself in the foot and deserves to be sacked if he is indeed let go.

Everyone agrees that a clear out is needed.
sad thing is though a new manager will give everyone a fresh start again. This cycle we are in is not working it hasn’t worked for the past 10 years so why not stick it out for another year and try working with the manager? . I think the odds on the new manager starting well then all falling to bits again within 18- 24 months are highly highly likely and I think only a very brave or crazy person would bet against this.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Did he really say that we were better than City in last year’s final? As I recall it felt like we were never really in it and that they were on cruise control. Might be wrong, it’s not as if I’ve bothered to re-watch the final, but my first thought is yet another attempt at reframing that comes across as delusional.
City are always gonna control games no matter who they play. I thought we could have won that final as city weren’t really at their best. Felt like we was pushing for an equaliser and was the better team since they went 2-1 up.

TsuWave

Seems as though people that want this guy to stay on have pivoted to "we have no class" and adjacent arguments. Fans more concerned with United being nice and "classy" than United doing what's best for United.

Shark

@NotShark
Seems as though people that want this guy to stay on have pivoted to "we have no class" and adjacent arguments. Fans more concerned with United being nice and "classy" than United doing what's best for United.
It's such a weird mentality that you simply don't see at other clubs of United's magnitude. I think another poster said it here yesterday, United is actually a failing manager dream, not the other way around.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ten Hag is going to end up getting sacked, we all know that. What none of you know is what happens next, although his comments about Overmars are setting it all up.

He'll launch a new podcast called "Hag's Cauldron" where he'll be joined twice a week by Andrew Tate and Joey Barton wearing a bald cap

seasidedaz

Absolutely in full agreement. Not had a fully fit squad all season. So he leaves the replacement names are not speaking of anything of a top notch are they. We are close now to not being the force united once was in fact think more of a laughing stock.the way in which this has been going on for the last few month’s is disgusting to say the very least. If he is sacked then the owner‘s better make sure that they get the next managerial appointment right or I fear we will be discussing this within the next 2 years of rinse and repeat.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
sad thing is though a new manager will give everyone a fresh start again. This cycle we are in is not working it hasn’t worked for the past 10 years so why not stick it out for another year and try working with the manager? . I think the odds on the new manager starting well then all falling to bits again within 18- 24 months are highly highly likely and I think only a very brave or crazy person would bet against this.
Except we've generally had larger player clear-outs when new managers have come in, rather than after they've been here a few years. Also, which players are you talking about getting a fresh start 'again'? We've already had a huge squad turnover over the last two years, and at this stage the large majority of the squad are players that ETH signed, players that ETH promoted, players that ETH played more than previous managers did, or players that ETH wanted to give new contracts. This is very much ETH's squad of players.

We've sold and bought many players over these 10 years. That cycle isn't working so why not stick with this squad for another year and try using a new manager?

Obviously that last sentence I wrote is ridiculous, but it's the same as what you are saying. It's clear that both the manager and many (probably most) of the players aren't good enough, so we need to have a clear-out of both. Keeping one of the failing parts just because the other part is also failing is insanity.

Cloud7

To be fair, the Ten Hag stuff will overshadow any City cup win regardless. Look how easily overshadowed them winning 4 titles in a row was.
Literally anything will overshadow what City do. They won an unprecedented 4th title in a row, and the story of Arsenal running them close and Klopp leaving Liverpool were far bigger narratives than what they accomplished :lol:

NK86

He didn't waste half a billion, Murtough did.
Another tosser who has been let go. Now time for Eth as well. Both have actually hampered us with their signings and coaching so far.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
I had some sympathy for him, then I was reminded about who or what he stands for, and also quotes such as this from the interview.

Erik Ten Hag:"Manchester United won the league for the last time in 2013, 11 years ago. But still they expect us to win every game while competing at the top. This club is not ready for that."
This I have no issue with because it’s true.

Ten Hag is correct in saying we are not set up to win every game with or without fully fit squad or different manager.
That's assuming that these muscular injuries have nothing to do with conditioning and fitness management which is one aspect of his job.

Edit: On a side note, people should remember that things really hit the fans for Mourinho after his alleged fallout with Rui Faria.
Perhaps.
Yeahhhh that line has killed the sympathy I had for him in this situation. You can tell he's got the "boys changing room" mentality where guys can do whatever they want to women and he'd ignore it on the basis of "he's a good footballer".
Yeah no thanks.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It's from the heart but it's too simplistic. The players are not bad or lazy. Every player wants to play well and win. For a variety of well rehearsed reasons there just aren't enough of the right players for the system he wants to play so everyone is frustrated. And that's made it impossible for him and he can't survive.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
Funny if posters start pivoting away from keeping ETH because of Overmars quotes that are actually just repeats of what he's already said multiple times in multiple previous interviews.

Found a nice excuse to change sides now they know he's going.

It was also 100% obvious he was fully supportive of bringing Greenwood back.
This is a silly post which is immature in its observation and probably even meant as a WUM too. It’s a shame the quality of your posts from WW games, that are logical and critical of people’s actual actions and views haven’t carried over into this one.

What you are accusing people of is using someone who is clearly supporting sexual harassment as an excuse to change sides? That’s just sad, wrong and poor form.

redcucumber

It's not about having standards living in the gutter. The manager literally said this season was crap. Those were his standards. But he said a wider problem with the job is how people expect to win many games even though the squad is miles off - and that's something that has to be recognized.
The squad is much better than what it has been producing, though. We were out of the race for top 4 (the bare minimum) fecking ages ago. A change is clearly required.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The squad is much better than what it has been producing, though. We were out of the race for top 4 (the bare minimum) fecking ages ago. A change is clearly required.
I think it's not a coincidence the three most injury hit teams are finishing 1point of each other, despite having good enough squads to beat a lot of opposition's they dropped points against.

Doracle

Yeah, the squad is still one of the best in Europe and the main issues with it are ETH’s own signings! Having a season where we finished 8th and yet still massively overachieved based on our actual performances is simply incomprehensible. I’m usually very pro-manager but on this occasion it’s been very clear that ETH is massively out of his depth. There’s nothing whatsoever on which he achieves a pass-mark.

Shark

@NotShark
Finishing 8th with 14 losses, and bottom of your CL group brings about that. The idea that the manager is reportedly being replaced after chronically underachieving should be a positive, not a negative. It means the new owners have standards, which should also carry into this final.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair, we weren't, it was still gettable in the last few weeks, we were just far too shit to take advantage of those above us stuttering. I suppose in that regard, we were out of it ages ago, as everyone knew we weren't capable of getting a string of wins to get there.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think new starts under new managers are long gone now. The managers ain’t gonna be deciding much in terms of signings and out goings. INEOS have been here long enough now and watched the last half of the season to know that half of these players aren’t good enough.