Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 575 54.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 482 45.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It’s not his fault that the club were such a shambles after Jose they didn’t know whether to stick or twist. I think people forget just how toxic things at the club were back then.
Not saying it is his fault, he was right and incredibly smart to take that contract. Was a mistake by the club, just as it was to renew his contract.

Just that he isn't some huge hero by coming here either. This was a life time opportunity he was handed because he is a club legend, not based on any of his managerial credit. He wasnt exactly at Real Madrid winning CL's and league but decided to come here to help us out.

Waynne

'We have to set a winning culture and a winning culture is only possible when you have the highest standards and failures EVERY DAY'

:devil: :devil: :devil:

It's been so long since I've heard a manager speak like this. I just love him.

fallengt

was a massive Ole fan but i cant argue with this. its a night and day difference in what hes bringing

It's early day. Why are we throwing shades at Ole now? To make sure everyone remember appointing Ole was a mistake?
Well, supporters were at fault as much as Glazers were. Remember Rio with his cringe reaction? United fans liked and shared that everywhere even to this day (even though for a different reason)

macheda14

It's early day. Why are we throwing shades at Ole now? To make sure everyone remember appointing Ole was a mistake?
Well, supporters were at fault as much as Glazers were. Remember Rio with his cringe reaction? United fans liked and shared that everywhere even to this day (even though for a different reason)
Fans are allowed to get sentimental and reactive. That’s why professionals are supposed to run clubs.

In Rainbows

We looked really good in possession to start the match. That was really encouraging and shows the coaching is top notch. It was a clear sign of improvement.

bringbackbebe

We're playing Ole's system with players of better quality and attitude. That neither a complaint nor a compliment.

Redfrog

If we start to dominate the ball…how do the likes of Martinez and Eriksen have such a big impact in that the opposition teams will be sat deep limiting the space for any runs behind and those great through balls etc. We seem to be doing just fine soaking up teams, turning over possession way too often and just hitting teams in transition. We seem to have a team more built for that as well even with Casemiro starting and with Antony now here. Are we sure we are going to morf into a team having the majority of the ball?
The first 15 minutes is how we want to play. It’s more a confidence, routine and fitness problems then anything else in my opinion. We lost our confidence with their disallowed goal.

Flexdegea

was a massive Ole fan but i cant argue with this. its a night and day difference in what hes bringing

Don't like this comparison to build one up to run down another, same way I hate people saying what we see now is Ole football.

Both are stupid.

Hag is brilliant and looking like the real deal in my eyes, and I've all the confidence he will deliver trophies.

But dont know why we have to make out that Ole time was useless. We came 3rd and 2nd. We would snap hands of for that this season.

It ended up bad by the end, and rightfully he was sacked.

Real Name

We're playing Ole's system with players of better quality and attitude. That neither a complaint nor a compliment.
We are not playing Ole's system. When will this silly notion die?

First 15 minutes we completely dominated Arsenal, after their disallowed goal we fell back a little, I think its just changing tactics throughout the game, soaking up the pressure and hitting them on the brake or with quick first time passes. ETH is obviously a manager who can change things throughout games and it's not just one style. Especially not just Ole's system..

I think he wants to make a possession based team of us but not the team who'll have possession just for the sake of it and if it doesnt go according to plan team can always change tactics.

I simply dont know why some have the need to compare this to past managers, sometimes as a way to take a dig.

el3mel

Ole was a miserable failure at United. A lot of us were already criticizing him during his tenure here. A lot of us saw how awful a manager he is. These glorious 2nd and 3rd spots with godawful points tally while all other opponents are having a shit period don't mask his failure.

Lets just forget these miserable days and focus on what's coming next.

Judas

Open to offers
Ole was a miserable failure at United. A lot of us were already criticizing him during his tenure here. A lot of us saw how awful a manager he is. These glorious 2nd and 3rd spots with godawful points tally while all other opponents are having a shit period don't mask his failure.

Lets just forget these miserable days and focus on what's coming next.
Don't you dislike Ten Hag too?

JustinC00

We are not playing Ole's system. When will this silly notion die
Seriously the amount of people that are saying "Ole Ball" when we soak up some pressure and hit them on a counter is sad. Not sure if it's actually people thinking OGS created counter-attacking or if it's the OGS fans trying to create a narrative that he got done in by the players and stuff off the pitch, not tactics. Yet OGS was the one that allowed that to happen with his man management. You think OGS was making the team run 13km himself included a day after a bad loss? HA. ETH replaced Ole's entire back 4 2 games in and it has already vastly improved us

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not sure why Ole's name keeps popping up in this thread. There can be, or should be almost NO comparison. The difference is night and day. Dark, dark and dreadful days they were, let them go.

ETH has barely put a foot wrong since he arrived. Results against Brighton and Brentford aside, everything else the guy has done has been vindicated. The players he's brought in all look very astute signings so far and tactically he looks like he's on point. The guy knows what he's doing that's for sure.

el3mel

Don't you dislike Ten Hag too?
No I don't? Just because I don't blindly support every single decision and tactical plan he puts on the pitch, it means I dislike him. This black and white way of looking at things is ridiculous. I have never said he shouldn't get his chance or he should be sacked or all these imaginary things you and others just memorize and keep on repeating. However, I won't defend every single thing he does. I will give him credit when he deserves it like last night or Liverpool game. If I see a wrong thing or a wrong direction, I will point it, easily.

florisW

Supports
Ajax
I can see Real Madrid coming in for Ten Hag sooner rather than later. He'd suit them to a tee. Hopefully we can stave them off.

Pragmatism > Idealism
I am not worried about Real Madrid. We should be more worried about Bayern Munich. That is his dream club

jameyzane

The Ronaldo sub was outstanding. He lured Arteta into a high-pressing trap for a second goal after sitting deep for a while and they were destroyed for it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We look as good in possession as I have seen in a decade. The first goal was sublime team play. Myst have been close to 20 passes. The way we tease teams to press and then break is a joy to watch.
As a coach, he's easily in the Tuchel, Conte class and might even prove to match Klopp and Pep.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like how he adapted to the tools available to him. We don’t have the personnel to play his football so he’s adjusted his approach. For example, De Gea isn’t trying to play from the back like he did the first two games.

He’s a good manager
Yep. After the first two losses I thought his nativity/inability to be flexible to the squad he has was going to cost him, but he has been very accommodating to the quality in his squad. Gritty wins that seem very unlike what you’d expect of an Ajax Cruijffian disciple.

Fluctuation0161

There will be setbacks

Hope you guys don't lose your collective brains again then, and remember the things you write today
Agreed. I gave him till next season before I start judging. We were in need of such a massive rebuild and reset, it should take at least 2 Summer transfer windows to get the squad to standard.

The recent results are a very nice surprise. ETH has gone up in my estimation.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
It seems to me that ETH is looking for a perfect balance between implementing his new system and getting results. Currently we are seeing both and it's the correct choice from him. I understood that he is a slow starter as he is trying to implement the system fully and if finished, then we can see the results.

We saw superb gameplay for first 15 mins vs Arsenal, but scored all our goals from counter attack. Don't care how the goals come until they come and it's visible that players' mentality have had a huge boost too. It's early September and things have improved a lot.

Eriksen's minutes concern me a bit - he has a heart issue, is not in his twenties and him getting injured is a major setback for us. I'd truly like to see him 60-70 min per game max, not running 90+.

And winter window is expecting to be very very interesting. I think the best ever because after WC many players (as it has been) ramp up their value and vital transfers have been made. I expect to see FDJ, Timber and a striker added to the squad and hopefully Maguire does a good tournament, sell him to Leicester and that's it. Huge improvement in squad's mentality and agility.

Real Name

It seems to me that ETH is looking for a perfect balance between implementing his new system and getting results. Currently we are seeing both and it's the correct choice from him. I understood that he is a slow starter as he is trying to implement the system fully and if finished, then we can see the results.

We saw superb gameplay for first 15 mins vs Arsenal, but scored all our goals from counter attack. Don't care how the goals come until they come and it's visible that players' mentality have had a huge boost too. It's early September and things have improved a lot.

Eriksen's minutes concern me a bit - he has a heart issue, is not in his twenties and him getting injured is a major setback for us. I'd truly like to see him 60-70 min per game max, not running 90+.

And winter window is expecting to be very very interesting. I think the best ever because after WC many players (as it has been) ramp up their value and vital transfers have been made. I expect to see FDJ, Timber and a striker added to the squad and hopefully Maguire does a good tournament, sell him to Leicester and that's it. Huge improvement in squad's mentality and agility.
First goal wasn't from a counter.

Suv666

The problem has always been shite transfers. If we can sign competent players it doesn't matter who the manager is and who comes in next.

Its a bit too early to tell but Martinez and Eriksen especially look like great acquisitions.

dutchred

It will be interesting to see what happens when teams come here and play with a blocked defence and we have to force the pace and open them up

bringbackbebe

First 15 minutes we completely dominated Arsenal, after their disallowed goal we fell back a little, I think its just changing tactics throughout the game, soaking up the pressure and hitting them on the brake or with quick first time passes. ETH is obviously a manager who can change things throughout games and it's not just one style. Especially not just Ole's system..

I think he wants to make a possession based team of us but not the team who'll have possession just for the sake of it and if it doesnt go according to plan team can always change tactics.

I simply dont know why some have the need to compare this to past managers, sometimes as a way to take a dig.
You're confusing how ETH wants us to play vs how we're currently playing our games. All our goals are coming from counter attacks - absorbing the pressure and scoring on the break. There's nothing unique about this that's not happened in the last 3 years. We are more organized a a team defensively and have better mentality and a winning attitude of course but in terms of the prime approach, it's not different at all. This isn't a bad thing by any means as long as we're winning.

Real Name

You're confusing how ETH wants us to play vs how we're currently playing our games. All our goals are coming from counter attacks - absorbing the pressure and scoring on the break. There's nothing unique about this that's not happened in the last 3 years. We are more organized a a team defensively and have better mentality and a winning attitude of course but in terms of the prime approach, it's not different at all. This isn't a bad thing by any means as long as we're winning.
We will not agree on this at all. Also the notion that of our goals are from counters is simply wrong. For a start our 1st goal yesterday wasnt a counter but a well played attack from the back and we made about 15 passes before Antony scored. Not to mention yesterday we pinned Arsenal back for about 15, 20 minutes. I guess you'll have to watch our games more focused.

bringbackbebe

We will not agree on this at all. Also the notion that of our goals are from counters is simply wrong. For a start our 1st goal yesterday wasnt a counter but a well played attack from the back and we made about 15 passes before Antony scored. Not to mention yesterday we pinned Arsenal back for about 15, 20 minutes. I guess you'll have to watch our games more focused.
A football game is slightly more than 90mins, I'm sure you agree. We controlled the final third for 10mins - but that doesn't mean we didn't sit back for 85mins or that we played possession based football and dominating games in the final third, keeping the opposition pinned to their box. I'm not sure what you're getting at. Arsenal had us glued to our box most of the time & we struggled to get a pass through. Of course, it also opened them up simultaneously which we exploited.

Irrational.

I see the Ole defenders are out in force. It is completely appropriate to draw the comparison with ETH. Ole was an abject failure and set us back financially and in a footballing sense by clinging onto shit players, overpaying and renewing inappropriately, trying to be everyone’s friend and relying on good vibes. Look at the toxicity we’ve had to clear out this summer. These are the actions of a man with a specific plan.

We chucked Ole when it was far too late to salvage anything, and Rangnick was never going to work out as an interim.

At least we have the right man in charge with the correct personality traits to get us back to where we belong.

romufc

Not sure why Ole's name keeps popping up in this thread. There can be, or should be almost NO comparison. The difference is night and day. Dark, dark and dreadful days they were, let them go.

ETH has barely put a foot wrong since he arrived. Results against Brighton and Brentford aside, everything else the guy has done has been vindicated. The players he's brought in all look very astute signings so far and tactically he looks like he's on point. The guy knows what he's doing that's for sure.
I agree, we should leave Ole behind. People are acting as if Ole was the only manager to play counter attacking football.

It just shows that the fans didnt watch the game properly, we dominated the ball in the first 10 minutes of the game then went off it.

I suggest everyone go have a look at the first goal, if they think we are playing Ole ball, will realise very quickly it is Ten Hag Ball. The first goal comes from a period of possession, we went right couldnt get through, went left, couldn't get through, the ball went back all the way to De Gea and then the goal came, it was anything but counter attack.

Then, with Arsenal's form, they were always going to come back into the game so the manager showed maturity and said, my team can play deep and counter too, Have that.

ManRed

So far there are little signs of how a Ten Hag team plays but unfortunately after the start he had he is doing the best with the tools he has in hand. Our players are known for downing their tools and not running, crumbling when pressed and slow passing. It's not going to change in 1 season and thankfully he realized this sooner rather than 6 months later.

I am quite impressed by how quickly he realized the strength and weaknesses of our players and playing them accordingly. He is also building a very strong mindset which very few teams in the world possess. I don't really care about possession football or dominating football in a managers first season. He will slowly change things around and will need new blood who can play the way he wants. Until that time it's very important to keep getting results or it will make his task incredibly difficult. If we lose we will talk all week about Ronaldo,Casemiro and Maguire benched and team not backing with sulky attitude in dressing room.

Jcrossley94

So far there are little signs of how a Ten Hag team plays but unfortunately after the start he had he is doing the best with the tools he has in hand. Our players are known for downing their tools and not running, crumbling when pressed and slow passing. It's not going to change in 1 season and thankfully he realized this sooner rather than 6 months later.

I am quite impressed by how quickly he realized the strength and weaknesses of our players and playing them accordingly. He is also building a very strong mindset which very few teams in the world possess. I don't really care about possession football or dominating football in a managers first season. He will slowly change things around and will need new blood who can play the way he wants. Until that time it's very important to keep getting results or it will make his task incredibly difficult. If we lose we will talk all week about Ronaldo,Casemiro and Maguire benched and team not backing with sulky attitude in dressing room.
This is key. We can’t rebuild quietly like arsenal or Liverpool managed to do, there’s eyes and cameras on everything we do and everything is analysed. It’s the perfect thing to do to focus on going on a run of results, build that credit in the bank and start driving your philosophy from a strong base.

largelyworried

This is factually wrong. Our first goal yesterday came after 18 passes where we went from right back to left wing to right wing, back to midfield, back to the keeper, then left back then centre forward then goal. Our goal vs Southampton originated in the left back position and we passed our way round the defence, down the wing and across to Bruno. Our first goal vs Liverpool again came after an extended period of play down the right wing before we switched play to the left, went back to the CBs then forward to the left wing then scored.

These are progressive goals coming from extended periods of possession. We are also scoring counter attack goals for sure but let's not make out that's all we're doing.

Zlatans Knee

Do you seriously think that Eriksen would still be playing if he had any risk with his heart? Do you think we would have signed him? The guy is 30 ffs not 40. He is getting better and better and we need him out there as much as possible.

ManRed

Re Eriksen I think the team doctors, player himself and manager can take the best decision. The guy ran for the third goal at 75mins after playing 3 days ago. We need him to be fit for premier league games don't mind him being rested for Europa

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance

People thinking counter attack football is Oleball must've missed the early to mid 90s when we had Giggs, Sharpe and Kanchelskis as wingers.

darioterios

I am not worried about Real Madrid. We should be more worried about Bayern Munich. That is his dream club
If he gets the kind of success that draws the attention of Munich then we should put every possible resource in keeping him, which I believe we absolutely can in that case.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't feel embarrassed to wear my United shirts to the gym anymore.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
To who exactly? This is as irritating to read now as it was back then because some of us knew it was sentimental garbage blinding those who felt that way. A team that couldn't execute basic one-twos consistently in an era where even midtable teams play with organised passing moves. A manager that was so limited he relied on counters against teams with a fraction of the budget. Let's just say the signs were obvious for anyone who bothered to look close enough. It's also convenient people want his tenure not to be spoken of when they spent the whole 3 years talking about Jose and the mess he left behind. We could draw a game to a midtable team and they would call it progress if the previous manager lost the corresponding fixture. Comparisons like this are now suddenly taboo. Convenient.

Hey, everyone reading this, make as many comparisons as you like. Even compare their facial hair, sitting posture, whatever.
Probably no surprise to anyone that I lean towards the case made by @Greck as opposed to @Ole's screen on the topic of OGS. The headings; Sentimental ideas; ‘fun’; I would add in tactical nous (or lack of), man-management; in-game adjustments.

Ole seems like a nice guy. He is bright and enthusiastic. He was learning on the job here. And, yes, he pulled off some great results. Some of the flaws were not of his making. He didn’t have a great team around him. I hope he goes on to great things.

But there’s no danger of him taking over from Klopp or Pep or even Arteta. All that United DNA stuff was mildly embarrassing. The idea that recreating the SAF way of playing would bring back SAF levels of success was, to put it gently, silly. Even if Ole could have pulled off the Ferguson ‘way’ it wouldn’t have the same impact in today’s game.

Idxomer

People thinking counter attack football is Oleball must've missed the early to mid 90s when we had Giggs, Sharpe and Kanchelskis as wingers.
There was no Oleball anyway, the tactics and coaching were 99% McKenna and Carrick.