Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Greck

Don't think he has the players in midfield for that. He really wanted FDJ or someone who can do a similar job. We bought a CDM instead. The balance of our midfield is still off kilter, a top class ball playing midfielder is still needed.
Eriksen does his best work when he vacates the midfield and pushes forward or to the flanks because he is basically an attacking mid. He can't really dictate a game from a midfield position though. Mctominay is too limited technically.
Righto. I can already see what is happening getting jumbled. ETH made some pragmatic adjustments after the Brentford game to adapt to what he had. Some of the symptoms are obvious like how De Gea's ball playing responsibilities seemed to stop being an issue. In general there's a ton of pragmatic concessions he had to make to keep the team from getting steamrolled. This is nowhere representative of anything.

the_cliff

Confused with the subs.

As soon as Lindelöf went to right back, we lost all threat on the right. Not sure where Bruno was playing.
I'm sure it was pre planned to sub Eriksen and Dalot to give them some rest. They've played a lot recently and we need them for Sunday.

Unfortunately our alternatives and our backups are nowhere near good enough. If he'd have kept Erkisen and Dalot on and one of em got injured he'd be ripped for that.

el3mel

I'm sure it was pre planned to sub Eriksen and Dalot to give them some rest. They've played a lot recently and we need them for Sunday.

Unfortunately our alternatives and our backups are nowhere near good enough. If he'd have kept Erkisen and Dalot on and one of em got injured he'd be ripped for that.
It looks like the games this weekend will be postponed due to the Queen's death.

NK86

Does he not prefer controlling the midfield ? Genuinely asking because I haven’t seen any evidence yet that he does or even try to keep possession. People here told me that he is a possession based manager.
Don't think you need the people here to tell you anything. You can watch any Ajax game from last season and realize how they play is very different to how we're playing now.
Give the man a moment before jumping to conclusions about his style of play.

In Rainbows

That's my problem, all honestly. I'm not really impressed with his style of play up till now and I'm not seeing enough evidence of us trying something new in possession. We're indeed a defensive, counterattacking team just as we were under the previous 2 managers and while this wouldn't have been an issue in the early month or two of his reign, my problem is I'm not seeing any tries on the pitch to actually become a possession based one. As I said I didn't watch today's game so won't comment on it, but even in the league we haven't really tried to keep the ball or control possession once we go up, and instead were fine surrendering the ball and defending our lead hoping for a lucky break to score a 2nd if possible. We defended well alright, but that's not what I was expecting from Ten Hag.

He really needs to start letting the team try and play a possession based style a little bit and endure the early consequences. Yes we'll struggle at the start. It's normal, but I'll prefer a long term gain than, yet again, playing it safe with counterattacking shit for short term results which lead us nowhere at the end.

He needs to be a little bit brave and play his own game.
I don't think the EL performance was an example of that. We mostly did well in the buildup, but were awful in the final 3rd. Whether that was due to Ronaldo's age turning what could be a dangerous attack into nothing, or Elanga's bad passing, or numerous other bad decisions from other players, it resulted in a dull attacking performance.

And I would say that United look more comfortable in possession than they did under previous managers. Every match has periods where the players play more vertical (but on the ground) passes, and escape the opposition press. The same was true for the beginning period of Arsenal, Liverpool, and even against Sociedad.

And I actually do think United look more comfortable beating low blocks, even if just a bit. It doesn't look the same as under previous managers where players would often stand still waiting for some individual to just make something up on the spot to create a chance. The end result might be the same (no goal), but I can definitely see the makings of what you want.

But yes, we do eventually need to see it for longer sustained periods. However, when it does, it won't just come out of nowhere, which is what I think your post is suggesting. I can clearly see differences between the current team and our past counter attacking only teams.

Real Name

Progress is evident and I'm gonna beat that drum every day. We seem to more assured in passing and playing out of the back, players seem to have more confidence in their every move as opposed to previous years and they seem to know what they're doing. Running, changing positions, opening themselves for a pass. Sure we'll need to be more consistent in possession cause in parts of every game till now we would lose possession for a short period of time but controlling games will come in time. And of course, as it was said, team is still a mess in the sense that besides Eriksen we dont have a player capable of 'stopping the game', slowing it and controlling it.

But as I said, some things are already different, mainly defending but the general play too.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think it's easy to see we are definitely less clueless in build up and final third. Defense is also more comfortable. I would like more control though but I don't know if I should blame Ten Hag when all midfielders and striker tend to lose the ball a number of times

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
One thing that worries me a bit is that he is trying to be smart and use players out of position and it constantly backfires. Eriksen false 9, Eriksen as DM, Lindelöf at RB, Fred as a no. 10.

All of our loses have one thing in common. Players not playing in their natural positions.

I just don’t understand how any manager can look at Freds performance and think that it’s even close to being acceptable. It was one of the worst performances i have ever seen. Fred stopped more of our attacks than Sociedads defense.

Fred as a no. 10 should never have been allowed to happen.
It's a case of trying to do too much at once.
He wanted to give Casemiro, Ronaldo and Fred significant minutes. He also wanted the team to build from the back, Which Fred can't really do and he wanted to press from the front, which Ronaldo can't do either. So he decided to put Casemiro and Eriksen at the base of midfield to help with build up and Fred at 10 to help with forward pressing intensity.
You could see at times where Fred was the most forward player, pressing the goalkeeper while ronaldo was trying to cut off lanes in midfield.
It clearly didn't work out because the end result was a disjointed attack with too many square pegs in round roles.
Eventually he'll need to be ruthless and just cut out players that don't fit the system.
Also, the centre backs were slow on the ball.

Zen86

Unfortunate result but I still think we looked good, worlds away from the stuff we saw last season. You can see some of the intricate passing triangles forming that we haven’t really seen before.

That said, a Maguire and Lindelof partnership at the back is a bit too lethargic in its passing to be a viable option for many games, and I’d say we’re desperately missing a CF. Ronaldo is starting to show his years.

If we managed to win the game 1-0 you would call it a good performance, but we still struggled to create a lot and were unlucky with the penalty.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The manager has a big task with Ronaldo. Someone needs to humble the guy in general and for FKs specially. When you get a late set piece and it's a chance of equalizing, there ain't no way Ronaldo should take.
ETH needs to tell him to get the feck as far away as possible from taking any FKs. Too much catering for Ronaldo is not good

DON’T PANIC ™

As I said earlier, he is trying too hard and probably complicates things unnecessarily at times, just like how Pep does it sometimes.

But it could be a sign that he is learning about the squad, players, himself and the league, and he seems like he will get it right. I didn't have that kind of confidence with the likes of Ole, Ralf, or even Jose in the past.
I agree, Ole would play the same team and make the same subs and expect a different result.
Hopefully ETH can learn from this.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He's allowed to rotate the team and assess his second string team. Im glad he did this in the Europa and not in the PL.

But i hope he learned that some of the second string team is just not up to standard. I agree that he has a tough situation with Ronaldo.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think the experiments he tried to run yesterday (Fred as no10 and Ronaldo as a footballer) failed miserably. Hopefully this is just a learning curve.

GreatDane

If EtH wanted to show the board that the squad has no depth, then mission accomplished.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Does he not prefer controlling the midfield ? Genuinely asking because I haven’t seen any evidence yet that he does or even try to keep possession. People here told me that he is a possession based manager.
You can't control midfield when you have midfielders losing the ball after the first simple pass they attempt.

kunal18

There is still a lack of quality in the squad, he has improved the attitude, determination and the defensive play of the team but there is no substitute to quality in improving attacking play. Eriksen singlehandedly created a few chances with his vision and passing, but there was no attacker to compliment his endeavors.
Martial returning should help the attacking cause. I hope Antony is good but other than that there appears to be a struggle for our other attackers to sustain pressure in opposing teams final third. Till then we will have to rely on fast breaks and hope other teams don't sit back or prevent our attackers to turn on the break.
Watching that game it seemed the ball just dint stick with our forward line especially in the second half, and it happened too many times for us to have any attacking threat.
I dont know how much more he will be given to spend, but with the expectations at the club he will need more money and to spend it wisely to improve the quality of this team, till then we will be getting inconsistent results.
He has to use Garnacho more, our wings are the weakest and that affects the chances of our midfield of an out ball as our wingers keep loosing the ball or passing it back. Garnacho will take his man on 9/10 times , he might loose it a few times while doing it but when he eventually beats his man he will create a chance for our striker. That's a risk worth taking
The others seem to be reluctant to take on defenders even in 1v1, it slows the play down and it affects our attack and the momentum completely.
The amount of ball that Salah/Diaz, Bernardo/Foden, Saka/Martinelli, Kulusevski have and the number of dribbles/takeons is staggering compared to our wingers.

Reactions: Penna

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He's allowed to rotate the team and assess his second string team. Im glad he did this in the Europa and not in the PL.

But i hope he learned that some of the second string team is just not up to standard. I agree that he has a tough situation with Ronaldo.
I would imagine that his brief this season would be top four, and a good run in cups, possibly favouring FA Cup, as he will have a good idea of his team by then, who to trust, and who not to, and also possible player movements in January, unlikely, but possible.
I'm a big fan of Ronaldo, but he's certainly struggling for any sort of sharpness, which playing regularly would bring, but could you trust him to deliver, .
We should be able to progress from this group in Europa League, so I'm sure he'll rotate to a certain extent, but we're currently only three points of top spot in EPL, so everything to play for there, so that will be the underlying focus I would think. Our game against City will be interesting next month, Martinez v Haaland. Tasty.

flameinthesun

Is he a possession coach on the training field, with positional pass and move plays? Not specifically asking you. We seem counter attack mainly apart from a few goals, early days obviously but you can normally tell quite quickly how a new coach wants the team to play long term.
I do think, and I maybe wrong, that he has an idea of making us deadly in transitions. Especially when you have eventually up top Rashford, Martial, Antony with bruno and Eriksen behind then if they all click it would be stupid for teams to leave us space in behind. This would then mean the opposition decide to play deeper which then grants us more posession. In that situation hopefully we will know what to do with the possession we have.

Its all a process, for me I see the building blocks being planted. The reality is our squad was not designed for possession play. When looking at the squad now we have Sancho, Martial, eriksen, dalot, martinez, malacia who can now play that way. But we still need more players who are comfortable with the ball and playing the ball under pressure. Last night was a great example of the difference between Eriksen/Martinez and their replacements. Its night and day their comfortability on the ball.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Look at the players. I think he’ll improve it, but there’s not a big margin. It does leave the question why the midfielder they signed was Casemiro, and they let Nunes etc go elsewhere. Also, without Martial the ball doesn’t hold when it goes forward. Very difficult to get these players controlling possession. They could possibly do it with 3 in midfield where they focus on winning the ball and supplying 3 forwards (like good Liverpool) but then you’d be taking away Bruno as a number 10 (which I don’t think would be the worst thing, but I don’t think will happen).

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I do think, and I maybe wrong, that he has an idea of making us deadly in transitions. Especially when you have eventually up top Rashford, Martial, Antony with bruno and Eriksen behind then if they all click it would be stupid for teams to leave us space in behind. This would then mean the opposition decide to play deeper which then grants us more posession. In that situation hopefully we will know what to do with the possession we have.

Its all a process, for me I see the building blocks being planted. The reality is our squad was not designed for possession play. When looking at the squad now we have Sancho, Martial, eriksen, dalot, martinez, malacia who can now play that way. But we still need more players who are comfortable with the ball and playing the ball under pressure. Last night was a great example of the difference between Eriksen/Martinez and their replacements. Its night and day their comfortability on the ball.
Definitely agree on the squad not being suitable part. Lots of these won't be here in the coming windows and our possession will improve with time. Is he that coach though in a similar way Pep is

Maticmaker

I admit I knew little about ETH before he came to United, but after the first couple of games when he made the changes, I started warming to him, his personal style (never seems to smile) at interviews and his team selection... then came last night 6 changes all at once! If he needs to rest/test players, make 2 or maybe 3 changes, but half the team ... I am reviewing the situation.. (Fagin)

Zed 101

Still early days but I think we are now seeing a division between players who are capable of responding to ETH and improving from where we have been last season and those who for whatever reason are not and just drag us backwards, jury still out on a few, I think ETH is not going to barn storm, those talking about top 4 I think it is hopeful at best, I can see a season or 2 of ups and downs, much as Liverpool had with Klopp to begin with, ETH needs to improve the squad not just the 1st 11, but I am happy that I can see at the least he plays players to their strengths, such a no brainer but so many of our recent managers have not.

Improving/Capable
Rashford, Elanga, Antony, Sancho, McT, Dalot, Eriksen, Varane, Martinez, Malacia, Bruno, Martial

Jury still out
Shaw, Casemiro, Fred, Tuanzebe

Deadweight
Ronaldo, Lindelof, Maguire, DeGea, AWB, Jones

Unless ETH gets some youth through can see that he clearly needs to bring in another striker and CB, I would like to think in Jan but I guess this is unrealistic... although world cup at xmas may do some weird things to normal transfer activity.

Of those who are capable there are still weaknesses, but they are performing at least at a level to be in the squad moving forward (not necessarily 1st 11), those in the deadweight category just need to go.

As good as I think Varane and Martinez have been recently, the Leicester game the other day, I found myself thinking Johnny Evans who was never our 1st choice CB would would still be probably 2nd, 3rd choice in our current crop, and probably would have been 1st choice for many seasons after Rio and Vidic went.... why did we ever get rid of him???

fallengt

He's not. Hes a possession based manager in a sense that his Ajax dominated the league as always so it didn't matter what he did.
In UCL, i rarely saw his team had more possession against teams with same or higher caliber. Go check the stat, Ajax had less ball possession than Dortmund & Spurs.

JB7

He's not. Hes a possession based manager in a sense that his Ajax dominated the league as always so it didn't matter what he did.
In UCL, i rarely saw his team had more possession against teams with same or higher caliber. Go check the stat, Ajax had less ball possession than Dortmund & Spurs.
"As always" except for the 3 years directly before he took over, right?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
There is a huge disparity between our favoured 11, and the bench, and then further between his signings and the old signings.

This being because the players he hadn't signed aren't currently suitable for his style of play.

Thats the explanation for our stale football and will improve over time.

mav_9me

It's a case of trying to do too much at once.
He wanted to give Casemiro, Ronaldo and Fred significant minutes. He also wanted the team to build from the back, Which Fred can't really do and he wanted to press from the front, which Ronaldo can't do either. So he decided to put Casemiro and Eriksen at the base of midfield to help with build up and Fred at 10 to help with forward pressing intensity.
You could see at times where Fred was the most forward player, pressing the goalkeeper while ronaldo was trying to cut off lanes in midfield.
It clearly didn't work out because the end result was a disjointed attack with too many square pegs in round roles.
Eventually he'll need to be ruthless and just cut out players that don't fit the system.
Also, the centre backs were slow on the ball.
Agree abt the first bolded part. Also I was expecting Eriksen to play no.10 but clearly without Eriksen in the pivot, we wouldn't be able to pass the ball anywhere.

Unfortunately he can't cut anyone cuz they are the rest of the squad.

captaincantona

I admit I knew little about ETH before he came to United, but after the first couple of games when he made the changes, I started warming to him, his personal style (never seems to smile) at interviews and his team selection... then came last night 6 changes all at once! If he needs to rest/test players, make 2 or maybe 3 changes, but half the team ... I am reviewing the situation.. (Fagin)
Don’t get this viewpoint. PL is our priority and we had a match against palace to think about. In that regard, asking Eriksen to play another 90 and Bruno another 90 and Martinez and Dalot another 90 would have been stupid. It’s a squad game an RSO we’re shit. On another day Ronaldo is an inch onside, the header counts and the flood gates open.

This was a necessary evil to get Casemiro 90 minutes, Fred 90 minutes and give Antony minutes.

The issue for me was centre back and centre midfield. First half Maguire slowed everything down and the amount of times he just hoofed the ball instead of backing himself to control it and play out was scandalous. He is a poor footballer full stop. As a result, we couldn’t hold on to the ball…Casemiro was clumsy and looked out of sorts . With Bruno playing further forward and no Eriksen second half we spent so long playing it around the back 4 before inevitably hoofing it.

moving forward Eriksen, Martinez, Varane…most important players for me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's the first Europa League Group game. We'll get through even if we lost both games against sociedad. Borderline friendly. He clearly treated it as such to manage the squad.... Didn't expect the games to be called off.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Whilst being an Ajax Cruijff-ian possession nerd, ten Hag is supposedly a bit more lenient and will amend his teams as necessary. I think he's doing this with us, as he lacks the personnel to actually control a midfield.

Still... I'm in agreement with you, I'm surprised he didn't make a proper no.8 our main target. I mean, he did with de Jong, but once it became clear he wasn't available, there was no alternative with a similar skill-set targeted...

Eriksen, Fernandes, + one of Casemiro/McTominay is a decent midfield 3, but they have the glaring flaw of none of them being expert short to medium pass players who control the middle third of a football field. They all suit a counter attack game. Case/McT are ball winners who aren't expressive on the ball; Eriksen and Fernandes are fantastic insightful long passers, but don't run the tempo of a game and instead play very instinctively.

I'd imagine (and very much hope) that a de Jong/Verratti/Kovacic/Thiago style of central midfielder is our next main priority in there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Extra time off is good for him and us. Time for Martial to recover further, likely no premier league games until after the international break so basically Man City away on October 2nd. A month to train for the City game with the Sheriff away game next Thursday in the middle as well. Mini pre-season to train everyone more.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We still have massive issues. If we had a competent striker , we would have won it. Ronaldo is done. Criminal that we didn't even try for a striker. I mean, any one who could control a ball would have been enough.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This is Tifo football level of analysis right there. Top notch. Only thing missing is 2d art of his bald head with a fake 2d hand drawing it.
Tbf, I wanted to include an illustration but I can't find MS Paint on my new laptop.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Whilst I agree to some extent, all of his targets have so far shown to be pretty decent, and certainly alter the way we play in the manager's vision.
Well, excluding Arnautovic.

Anyway - point is: we shouldn't depend on him picking targets (based on personal experience). That isn't sustainable in the long term.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So if ETH thought a player was rubbish but the board wanted him, you'd rather have us buy him anyways?
No - I would want the board to consult him, of course. And if he absolutely does not fancy said player, the board should listen very carefully to what he has to say about it.

The point is that United - as a club - should target players according to a transfer/recruitment policy that transcends the current "manager" (or head coach). We shouldn't go for players ETH (or his successor) fancies - we should go for players that fit a certain profile.

Swedish_Plumber

It was always going to be mixed for us this season. Some highs and maybe more lows.

We did look pretty flat last night and many members of our squad barely looked fit.

Hopefully this break for the queen can help us in that regard.

Maticmaker

PL is our priority and we had a match against palace to think about.
Winning games (every game we play) should always be our priority, take each game as it comes, move on from there, that's what builds success. Making excuses for fielding a moderate (squad team) is a 'get out' clause, either for manager who doesn't know his players or his lack of strategy for each game. I've been pleased with ETH's approach so far, and will count last night's (6 as far as we know un-forced) team changes as an aberration.