Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Witchking

Whatever the result this season. We need to back this guy. I am confident that in a couple of seasons, United will be closer to the title and a difficult team to beat. He has the mentality of a winner. He just needs the club to back him.

Winrar

Damn. The media basically is making Ten Hag out to be a villain because he puts performances above reputation and won't entertain drama.

...And I love him all the more for it. Long may he be the villain.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Damn. The media basically is making Ten Hag out to be a villain because he puts performances above reputation and won't entertain drama.

...And I love him all the more for it. Long may he be the villain.
I dont really follow English media that well.. Can you elaborate?

OpenIntrovert

I don't know if I should be happy that people are supporting ETH now, or to be cautious because they are only supporting ETH due to him being firm with Ronaldo. Just a few days before, people were saying he is playing "Ole" ball and that he was not showing any progress and right after the Ronaldo's incident, all of you change your tune immediately. Hopefully it better be a long term support, otherwise I recommend most of you to follow the next club Ronaldo plays for and you can shower your hatred there.

For ETH, he seems to understand the tactical approaches of different teams very well. He is someone who learns from mistakes and the City game has shown how he should approach different games, rather than relying on the same style of tactics. I was worried that Tottenham's emphasis on wing backs will push Dalot and Shaw backwards, but playing Fred and Casemiro to help cover the flanks as well as the center was a great decision. Sancho seems to have stepped up as well which only bodes well for the future. Potter will be a more difficult manager to deal with and Chelsea's strength is far better than Tottenham. Let's see how ETH adapts the team against Chelsea, though it seems highly likely he will use the same approach as the Tottenham game.

OpenIntrovert

I dont really follow English media that well.. Can you elaborate?
Dont bother following English media. They are the same as every country's media, 1% facts, 99% imagination.

The current situation is that ETH has disciplined Ronaldo and Ronaldo has accepted his punishment, that's all there it is to it. The media is just trying to create a imaginary scenario of chaos and dressing room conflicts to get more naysayers to read their articles. They have done this a lot of times, especially during the Mourinho and Ole era.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I don't know if I should be happy that people are supporting ETH now, or to be cautious because they are only supporting ETH due to him being firm with Ronaldo. Just a few days before, people were saying he is playing "Ole" ball and that he was not showing any progress and right after the Ronaldo's incident, all of you change your tune immediately. Hopefully it better be a long term support, otherwise I recommend most of you to follow the next club Ronaldo plays for and you can shower your hatred there.

For ETH, he seems to understand the tactical approaches of different teams very well. He is someone who learns from mistakes and the City game has shown how he should approach different games, rather than relying on the same style of tactics. I was worried that Tottenham's emphasis on wing backs will push Dalot and Shaw backwards, but playing Fred and Casemiro to help cover the flanks as well as the center was a great decision. Sancho seems to have stepped up as well which only bodes well for the future. Potter will be a more difficult manager to deal with and Chelsea's strength is far better than Tottenham. Let's see how ETH adapts the team against Chelsea, though it seems highly likely he will use the same approach as the Tottenham game.
Ye he’s shown that he can be flexible and adapt depending on the opposition. Be interesting to see how he sets us up against Chelsea because not many teams go to Stamford bridge and dominate. Can’t remember the last time we did anyway. Will be good if we can have a similar performance to the spurs game but I think we’ll be a lot more cautious this game… especially being away.

OpenIntrovert

Ye he’s shown that he can be flexible and adapt depending on the opposition. Be interesting to see how he sets us up against Chelsea because not many teams go to Stamford bridge and dominate. Can’t remember the last time we did anyway. Will be good if we can have a similar performance to the spurs game but I think we’ll be a lot more cautious this game… especially being away.
We have never dominated Chelsea at home or away, but we have always put in controlled performances. The most recent controlled performance at the bridge (Chelsea dominate possession but no threat to us) was during Ole's time when we won 2-0 in the FA cup in 18/19 and 2-0 in the 19/20 season as well (both FA cup and premier league).

Tactically ETH would probably try to get Casemiro and McTominay/Fred to focus more on Chelsea's attacks through the midfield. I feel he should play Sancho as a false nine and Rashford on the left so that Rashford can help more with the defensive duties on the flank, but it is most probably going to be similar to the Tottenham game.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Im confused, what did ETH do that was so disrespectful to Ronaldo? The quality of journalism in this country is a mess.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Te vast majority has always been supporting EtH, is it not? I think there was a minority being critical and talking about Ole ball in fairness and I’m sure one match/the Ronaldo situation hasn’t necessarily convinced them otherwise (yet).

DJ_21

We have never dominated Chelsea at home or away, but we have always put in controlled performances. The most recent controlled performance at the bridge (Chelsea dominate possession but no threat to us) was during Ole's time when we won 2-0 in the FA cup in 18/19 and 2-0 in the 19/20 season as well (both FA cup and premier league).

Tactically ETH would probably try to get Casemiro and McTominay/Fred to focus more on Chelsea's attacks through the midfield. I feel he should play Sancho as a false nine and Rashford on the left so that Rashford can help more with the defensive duties on the flank, but it is most probably going to be similar to the Tottenham game.
they play a similar system to spurs but I think there wing backs might push us back a lot more then spurs did… however they’ll attack a lot more so they’ll be space out wide i think For Antony/rashford to run into. Fred and Casemiro will probably have a bigger battle in midfield then they did against spurs… I hope Bruno puts in another class performance if not eriksen will be waiting on the bench. At the minute it’s working with just 1 of the creative players playing and if we’re chasing a goal then we can bring him on for extra creativity.

JB7

Im confused, what did ETH do that was so disrespectful to Ronaldo? The quality of journalism in this country is a mess.
Only started him twice in six days rather than three times. The absolute disrespect.

marx_2

Supports
NEC
Graeme Souness is just one of the absolute worst pundits around.. He talkes so much nonsense, its almost as if he is trolling..
It’s not nonsense. He says that a football icon should be treated with more respect. What Souness fails to say is what that means for Ten Hag. Is Ten Hag allowed to bench him, should Ten Hag always play him, especially when Martial is injured?

Elcabron

I mean if we didn't have doubts about any manager we would be foolish after what we have seen over the past few years.

It was always going to be a very difficult job, along with PSG, I would say the United job is the hardest in world football.

Which is also why it is such a exciting job as well for managers who want to challenge themselves. Ten Hag clearly has belief in his ideas and has also for the first time been backed by the club over a player.

Off the field, Ten Hag has done a very good job but on the pitch, its still very much work in progress.

I want to see some form of consistency, going into every game knowing this is how we play. The Brentford and Brighton, I can write off but I do not want to see a City type performance again.
It's still early days and there will likely be a few more bumps on road yet but we are on the right road finally it would seem.

It really is exciting times. So far removed from last season. If this is what he can do in three months imagine what the transformation will be like in two years.

I really liked the balance we had the other night between DDG playing it out to his defenders or hoofing it up the field. it says a lot about the coaching I think.

Elcabron

This is true in fairness but thank God/Witch-Doctor/Matthias/The Ghost of Mino he is gone.
Imagine having him here still, what a disaster that would be, it's bad enough the Ronaldo circus distracting us without PP doing the same. Pogba and Matic leaving and replacing them with Casemiro and Ericksen is transformative.

Anyway back to ETH.....Im thinking of putting a poster of him on my bedroom wall like I used to do with the players when I was a kid, I'm sure my wife won't think it's weird.

Elcabron

He clearly stated that he's been playing elite football for 20 years, what's not to understand about that heartfelt apology?
It's like when football players or any high profile person releases a statement that says "I would like to apologise for xyz" ok then, go on apologize. They never actually say I'm sorry or I apologise, it's always I would like to apologise.

Pet hate of mine :)

Lux Thunder

Finally, we have a manager who is the boss and main star of this team. Set standards and lead by example. Benching big egos like Maguire and Ronaldo and having players selecting themselves by performances (Shaw-Malacia, Casemiro-McTominay) are brave enough decisions to make us believe he knows what he is doing and that he doesn't avoid taking full responsibility and control for his dressing room.

For a very long period, this club's dressing room was run by players. Anyone from the media who are defending Ronaldo in this situation, such as Morgan, should simply be embarrassed about it. Well done Mr. Ten Hag, you've earned my full respect.

Last edited:

RuudTom83

It would be a good game to chant his name loudly today.

I’m really hoping he gets a good result at the Bridge. If the club can come through this circus with 2 wins the team/manager will be in a very strong position.

GreatDane

It's like when football players or any high profile person releases a statement that says "I would like to apologise for xyz" ok then, go on apologize. They never actually say I'm sorry or I apologise, it's always I would like to apologise.

Pet hate of mine :)
Absolutely! Or when politicians 'takes responsibility' for grave errors, but nothing actually happens. All just for show.

Teja

Yeah it truly is. I have no idea why people are getting so worked up. Partly it's ABUs but Allergri I think was the one who said that Ronaldo wasn't just a player - he was a billion dollar company that needed to be managed.

OldTrevil

I'm ETH all in, finally a footballig manager with authority who will not pander to egotistical bellends

Teja

I think we'll do Chelsea
We barely ever win at Stamford bridge, so I'm not optimistic at all. Will be happy with a draw. We tried to press City and got schooled so this fixture is like the next best thing to gauge how much we've improved since then.

My goals are ~50% possession + similar shot totals, xG etc.

DJ_21

"your job now is to stand by our new manger " SAF.
Which our fans always have. Starting with moyes… we’ve been on a hell of journey, we’ve tried different types and experienced managers but not have worked out. Now we finally have a modern manager with fresh ideas and up to date methods. In Erik we trust!!

Elcabron

Yeah it truly is. I have no idea why people are getting so worked up. Partly it's ABUs but Allergri I think was the one who said that Ronaldo wasn't just a player - he was a billion dollar company that needed to be managed.
It's a good point. Ronaldo has as many if not more social media followers than Man United. It is likely that he also makes more in annual profits than the club. No player is bigger than the club but he probably ain't far off it going by those two metrics.

Teja

It's a good point. Ronaldo has as many if not more social media followers than Man United. It is likely that he also makes more in annual profits than the club. No player is bigger than the club but he probably ain't far off it going by those two metrics.
Given we run negative almost every year, I make more money than the club :lol:

but yep, agree. I might understand the frustration a little if he pulled all of his RM heroics with us and we benched him as he was reaching the tail end of his career but this is just ridiculous.

Mr Smith

Graeme Souness is just one of the absolute worst pundits around.. He talkes so much nonsense, its almost as if he is trolling..
To be fair, he's totally in the minority on this. Most pundits and media have been praising Ten Hag and denouncing Ronaldo's behaviour.

mav_9me

We barely ever win at Stamford bridge, so I'm not optimistic at all. Will be happy with a draw. We tried to press City and got schooled so this fixture is like the next best thing to gauge how much we've improved since then.

My goals are ~50% possession + similar shot totals, xG etc.
Could not agree more. As you said city dominated us 2 weeks ago, we are not dominating Chelsea at their home.

Rojofiam

To be fair, he's totally in the minority on this. Most pundits and media have been praising Ten Hag and denouncing Ronaldo's behaviour.
Yeah, it's mostly been Ronaldo's fanboys, his ex-teammates and the most deluded of "pundits" taking his side in this.

I'm glad to see that there's already so much trust and confidence in ETH early on, because it'll lessen the noise if we go on a bad streak, etc.