Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

r0663664

Worships Man City
This is the worst season ever in my memory. Whether Erik leaves or stay, I expect a much better performance next year with less injuries and better quality back up players. 2 CB, 1 RB, 1 LB, 1 MF, 1 CF. I think there would be 6-7 new players. I will say top 6 with better football at minimum.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Tbf Casemiro is also quite terrible on the ball and Hag keeps playing him there. He is so stubborn.
He is levels above McTominay. He's been poor this season but let's not pretend we are talking players of a similar skill set.

tjb

If this is recent, then I think ETH is gone.
He said a lot there. He;s not putting the failure all on Erik, but he acknowledges that he's failed, won't provide support and wants people in who fit the requisite profile. In addition, he also mentioned that the role hasn't faced the level of intensity and competitiveness needed, despite also acknowledging that there hasn't been that support. He's advocating for the DOF role, and believes managers have been getting away with not facing pressure compared to other clubs.

frostbite

1) If they were going to keep ETH, they'd have announced it already, especially since there is a lot of speculation about ETH on the news.

2) If they are going to sack ETH, the proper way to do it is to sack him after the last game, and then announce it. I never understood why Bayern announced that they are going to sack Tuchel after a few months, this was stupid, they just undermined their manager for no good reason.

3) If they haven't decided what to do with ETH, then INEOS are not very capable. Two games cannot change anything for a failed manager like ETH.

I am pretty sure it's (2). INEOS has already decided to fire ETH, but they are waiting for the season to finish.

croadyman

Tuchel back on the Market.

Not my first , second or third choice in a ideal market but will take anything at this point. ETH is finished here.

Motta would be a good option but looks like hes going to Juve. Maybe Amorim is worth a 2 year contract but from the sounds of it he priced himself out of a move to LFC. Would try to demand a lot of £££ from us.
Who are your top 3 choices in order then?

NZT-One

He said a lot there. He;s not putting the failure all on Erik, but he acknowledges that he's failed, won't provide support and wants people in who fit the requisite profile. In addition, he also mentioned that the role hasn't faced the level of intensity and competitiveness needed, despite also acknowledging that there hasn't been that support. He's advocating for the DOF role, and believes managers have been getting away with not facing pressure compared to other clubs.
He sure knows what the fans want to hear. Hopefully he means it, I'd be genuinely delighted.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've not watched it but I hope that's true because that's what most of us are saying. The standards need to be brought up across the board, such a pathetic season can't be excused.

Captmfla

The Chelsea method of blowing everything up and selling multiple players at once, didn't work out. United have steadily gotten rid of the players over 2-3 summers. That's normal.
Who did united get rid of? You mean Pogba, Lukaku, Mata, Lingard? Or more recent like C.Ronaldo, Greenwood? Who else left the club?

Winrar

Careful with his words
ETH is a goner from the looks of it. SJR just keeping things professional and under the wraps before the season's over, unlike Hoeness shitting all over Tuchel before the season's over and backfiring spectacularly.

frostbite

That is old footage though
They probably decided to sack him a long time ago. His transfers, his systems, his man management, his stubbornness ... basically, he has failed in all major aspects of football management. This isn't going to change in a few months. Or ever.

432JuanMata

If there is any truth in the Southgate link I would rather keep ETH as Southgate is awful. His only PL job he relegated Boro and I’m 100% sure English don’t win the euros only because he is the manager.

I would take Tuchel he hasn’t done the best job at Bayern but has been successful in most jobs and certainly would kick players out and make the team work hard which we lack

croadyman

If there is any truth in the Southgate link I would rather keep ETH as Southgate is awful. His only PL job he relegated Boro and I’m 100% sure English don’t win the euros only because he is the manager.

I would take Tuchel he hasn’t done the best job at Bayern but has been successful in most jobs and certainly would kick players out and make the team work hard which we lack
Yeah totally agree

hobbers

That is old footage though
How old is the footage, do we know?

I hadn't seen it before but he's giving the same answer he gave in the big bbc interview when asked the same question.

And in this one it's very obvious where he's given an opportunity to say that ETH has his support, he blanks that part of the question in true politician style.

croadyman

How old is the footage, do we know?

I hadn't seen it before but he's giving the same answer he gave in the big bbc interview when asked the same question.

And in this one it's very obvious where he's given an opportunity to say that ETH has his support, he blanks that part of the question in true politician style.
Saw someone suggest it was from February

DSG

Have to say I’d have a hell of a lot more fun talking with you if you stopped posting things that people aren’t saying. I haven’t absolved him of all blame at all. What’s the point in putting in the effort to post if you aren’t gonna bother to read it?

We have had a fully fit squad once this season and it was easily our best performance of the season against West Ham where we won comfortably. Inevitably then Martinez drops injured agaisnt and the cycle repeats.
Okay, so you do feel Ten Hag is responsible for the mess we are in, tactically, transfers, in game substitutions, etc., but for you, it’s not at the level of fire able offense, is that correct?

understood. I think the Licha worshipping has gone a bit far here… He’s a good CB, maybe our best, but if memory serves, our record with him in the squad isn’t great, just marginally better…

DSG

Good manager, but 8 games is a small sample size don‘t you think?

Look at Postecoglou; he is starting to throw his players under the bus.
Maybe. But my point is that he has organized the side and improved them in those matches. Ten Hag has us looking worse (although the Newcastle performance was the best I’ve seen in months tbf).

Alpha 1

He is levels above McTominay. He's been poor this season but let's not pretend we are talking players of a similar skill set.
This season they've been very similar interms of giving the ball away. That applies to pretty much all our players.

stevoc

What do we learn from that though. If you don’t commit to the style how do you know who can play it?
We've learned that it doesn't work.

What do the players learn from continuing to play a system that clearly doesn't work?

stevoc

We're talking about Scott's form this season and why he most likely been playing in an attacking role vs as a defender the past few games.
I appreciate that, which I acknowledged. But in general I don't think he's a bigger goal threat.

stevoc

This. There's probably less than 10 managers in the world who aren't attainable.
It's genuinely mad to me that people keep repeating that we can't attract managers or that there are no options out there.

When you're offering £200k per week there's always options.

stevoc

Who did united get rid of? You mean Pogba, Lukaku, Mata, Lingard? Or more recent like C.Ronaldo, Greenwood? Who else left the club?
We've only about 10 senior players left from the squad that finished the 2022 season.

CtrlAltDeLigt

I don’t read too much into his speech, it’s an old video and he just recently became the owner.

It just makes sense that he keeps all options open and doesn’t commit. He’s intelligent enough to realise he can’t feed the media by giving conclusive statements.

Regarding ETH, I suppose Ratcliffe deciding won’t be fair. Wilcox/ Brailsford will evaluate him and their opinion is the one that matters.

ETH is either deluded or his recent press conferences suggest he thinks he’ll be given a chance under the new setup.

That’s the most recent evidence I feel

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Okay, so you do feel Ten Hag is responsible for the mess we are in, tactically, transfers, in game substitutions, etc., but for you, it’s not at the level of fire able offense, is that correct?

understood. I think the Licha worshipping has gone a bit far here… He’s a good CB, maybe our best, but if memory serves, our record with him in the squad isn’t great, just marginally better…
I feel Ten Hag has been part of the problem, I just also attribute a large portion of the blame to those above his head and some of the players. I think it’s been a perfect storm or naive tactics at times, poor recruitment (which I attribute more to the board because it’s lasted 10 years), individually poor players or tactically poor players compounded by massive injuries. My hope would be, even under the same manager that perfect shite storm is unlikely to repeat again. Particularly if we can get the recruitment right above him.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We've learned that it doesn't work.

What do the players learn from continuing to play a system that clearly doesn't work?
Well we have learnt it doesn’t work for all the players, but not necessarily that it will never work.