Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 616 47.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 673 52.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

LARulz

He needs to stop putting Bruno out wide. It's infuriating

A left winger is better there

Manncunian

Arsenal played good football last season though. They weren’t winning games in ‘moments’ as we are at the minute. You could sense they were coming.
Totally disagree. Think they looked bang average for most the season, and their good runs of form were laced with plenty of hyperbole from pundits.

They finished one place above us despite an absolutely disastrous season with Ole being sacked due to poor results and then the short lived Rangnick era which was the worst we’ve ever been.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Pleased overall. Part of me likes the pragmatic approach to ensure we are getting results but part of me also wants him to be more assertive with his philosophy, even if that meant a few more dodgy results early on.

City for example in the first season under Pep did not change, even getting by the likes of Everton 4-0 but it always works in the end.

rooney2009

Arsenal played good football last season though. They weren’t winning games in ‘moments’ as we are at the minute. You could sense they were coming.
You couldn’t sense anything when Spurs smashed them at the end of last season
It takes a couple of good signings,confidence, consistency and a bit of luck with injuries and we will be fine

DarkXaero

It was a terrible performance tonight but I think people are being overdramatic. There's something to be said about taking all points while playing generally terrible. There's a lot of room for improvement, everyone (including ETH) knows that. A good amount of the process involves bringing in more new players and improving squad depth. Dalot, Antony, Varane were huge misses tonight (we don't have good depth to adequately cover their absences). We still need a good striker badly. We could still improve on DDG, having an actual keeper who can distribute the ball well. So to be able to take all 3 pts tonight, and generally our points tally this season, with all the issues, we're still in a good position going forward.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It seems like he's been trying to play with 4-4-2 where the 2 forwards would focus more on attacking. Thus you see the likes of VDB and McTom had less of the ball, and the team played more direct with less care on possession. I wonder how far ETH goes with this experiment.

Ludens the Red

Totally disagree. Think they looked bang average for most the season, and their good runs of form were laced with plenty of hyperbole from pundits.

They finished one place above us despite an absolutely disastrous season with Ole being sacked due to poor results and then the short lived Rangnick era which was the worst we’ve ever been.
You couldn’t sense anything when Spurs smashed them at the end of last season
It takes a couple of good signings,confidence, consistency and a bit of luck with injuries and we will be fine
Absolute bollocks. They looked like usual Arsenal being Arsenal. Like to find anyone who saw their form this season coming.
No offence but I don’t think you guys watched enough football if you don’t think Arsenal played good football last year. Compared to the absolute dross they were playing under arteta the previous two years it was night and day:

It’s taken Arsenal three years to get to this point now.
Ten Hag is in his first year so I don’t get the tone from your posts. It’s very obvious arsenal have been building something for a few years now . They’ve had continuity of players, manager and they’d have finished fourth last year above spurs if it wasn’t for having a shite squad that couldn’t cope with injuries.
Of course nobody expected them to be 1st at this stage but they were definitely in with a shout for best of the rest.

el3mel

That's just nonsense. Last year Arsenal were miles off any significant trophy, and look where they are now. Things change quickly in football
Where're they ? We're just 14 games into the season. I expect them to collapse by the 2nd half of the season.

And anyway, they have been building their current team for about 3 years before becoming somewhat competitive so what's the point ?

RuudTom83

EtH talking a lot about how the dressing room is now together and United, compared to when he arrived.

The team is going in the right direction, just enjoy the ride.

sugar_kane

After doubting him around the Ronaldo captaincy I wonder if he’s actually been quite shrewd with that decision.

By instead going out of his way to show undue respect to him in this way, he’s completely undermined Ronaldo’s “no respect” plea which he’s come out with tonight, which might have otherwise influenced certain elements of the dressing room.

Vapor trail

No offence but I don’t think you guys watched enough football if you don’t think Arsenal played good football last year. Compared to the absolute dross they were playing under arteta the previous two years it was night and day:

It’s taken Arsenal three years to get to this point now.
Ten Hag is in his first year so I don’t get the tone from your posts. It’s very obvious arsenal have been building something for a few years now . They’ve had continuity of players, manager and they’d have finished fourth last year above spurs if it wasn’t for having a shite squad that couldn’t cope with injuries.
Of course nobody expected them to be 1st at this stage but they were definitely in with a shout for best of the rest.
I'm inclined to agree. Arsenal certainly did play good football last season they were very good in phases of play throughout their games. Their downfall came towards the last few games of the season totally dropping the ball and handed top four to Tottenham who came into form with Kulusevki being a key contributor.

Vapor trail

I think the signs are positive under ETH. This team is very flat when it comes to finishing. The issue is the forward players aren't clinical enough and there's not enough chances created to cater for their weaknesses. It's what's impacting the narrative of the season which is somewhat good but inconsistencies in parts. The Chelsea and Newcastle games should have been wins.

cyberman

EtH talking a lot about how the dressing room is now together and United, compared to when he arrived.

Seems like he knew something was about to drop

Red00012

It’s now together because Ronaldo will never set foot in it again hopefully

Eddy_JukeZ

We've tailed off a bit.

We still have ways to go in possession and pressing. It looked we were progressing well, but we've reverted to old habits recently.

The WC break might do us a world of good.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think we've tailed off largely because the right hand side of our attack doesn't exist (again).

Hopefully Antony comes through the World Cup unscathed, and we look for backups for him and Dalot as soon as we have a striker.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think we've tailed off largely because the right hand side of our attack doesn't exist (again).

Hopefully Antony comes through the World Cup unscathed, and we look for backups for him and Dalot as soon as we have a striker.
Antony has been a huge miss, because he's been very good in possession thus far. He's been a great outlet on the right.

We've lost that a lot.

croadyman

Feels like the performances have gone down a notch but he still has us among the top four which is great. Hopefully after the world cup he can get us playing properly again with everybody back.
Yeah honestly believe we could have had maybe 31 points (only 6 off top) IF Varane hadn't got injured against Chelsea

croadyman

8 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses in 14 PL games; finished 2nd in EL group and through to last 16 of Carabao Cup. It's been good enough so far but it'll be all about how team can play after coming back from World Cup. If we can 1-2 signings in January, with important players available, then it could be fine.

Also: 20 goals scored/20 goals conceded a zero GD isn't great at all. There's most of the season yet to be played obviously but that has to be fixed.
Won't believe in us doing anything in January until I hear it from the usual suspects even with Ronaldo leaving. We desperately need RB cover and someone to rotate with Martial too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fantastic handling of the Ronaldo issue.

For the second half of the season the priority and challenge has to be to improve us as a possesion based team as this'll be what makes him into a success IMO. A few games / halves aside we are still pants as a possession based team and rely too much on quick transitions and low percentage balls.

Strelok

Feels like the performances have gone down a notch but he still has us among the top four which is great. Hopefully after the world cup he can get us playing properly again with everybody back.
Imo it's largely because we lost our entire right flank and Varane. Lindelof is a not a bad CB but he's nowhere near the quality of Varane. And the players were simply running out of gas after hell of a schedule.

We'll be much better after the WC I reckon. Ronaldo will probably leave by then too. Of our first XI probably only a few of them will actually play in the WC. Except Bruno, Erkisen, Casemiro, Antony the rest won't feature much I think.

croadyman

11 behind arsenal, equally mental!
They wouldn't be 11 ahead of us if they had suffered recurring injuries to the likes of Saliba and Jesus like we had with Varane & Martial, also it took Partey time to adapt much like Casemiro.

Krits

I think the drop in form is down to being very leggy. Especially Eriksen. His overall play has dropped a lot in the last 2 weeks. With him not performing, we have lost the control we had in matches. The team spirit is fantastic though, but it was there during Ole's time initially as well, we also need to add some quality. CF and Midfield for me are priority now as Martial's fitness is a massive doubt and we need someone of similar quality to Eriksen as his understudy.

mav_9me

While I agree that we haven't controlled games as well recently and our possession has gotten worse, we are still playing much better football than last few years. Here's 2 examples of Ten Hag ball from today.

The goal itself, even in 93rd min, nice build up

mav_9me

Imo it's largely because we lost our entire right flank and Varane. Lindelof is a not a bad CB but he's nowhere near the quality of Varane. And the players were simply running out of gas after hell of a schedule.

We'll be much better after the WC I reckon. Ronaldo will probably leave by then too. Of our first XI probably only a few of them will actually play in the WC. Except Bruno, Erkisen, Casemiro, Antony the rest won't feature much I think.
Luke Shaw will play a lot. I'd imagine Martinez and Dalot would also get a lot of game time.

The problem is the names you point out is our midfield, without any real good alternatives.

It is what it is.

norm87cro

Shades of LVG and I dont like it. The subs were 10 minutes too late too. Luckly Varane is back after the WC because this was a dodgy performance in the back 4 as well. Having 3 short players and a spineless CB in the back four surley didnt help our chances to defend crosses as well.

norm87cro

While I agree that we haven't controlled games as well recently and our possession has gotten worse, we are still playing much better football than last few years. Here's 2 examples of Ten Hag ball from today.

As far as for McTominay if he had scored that it would have been 75% his goal. The guy gave a great ball and ran half the pitch to get to that opportunity

Strelok

Luke Shaw will play a lot. I'd imagine Martinez and Dalot would also get a lot of game time.

The problem is the names you point out is our midfield, without any real good alternatives.

It is what it is.
Yeah Shaw too. But I'd doubt so for Martinez and Dalot. I read somewhere that both are not starters.

This also depends on how far their teams would go in the WC. For example Portugal won't play more than three matches if they keep starting Ronaldo. Imo Denmark won't go far either. So 2/3 of our midfield would have a good rest before the season restarts I think.

mav_9me

Yeah Shaw too. But I'd doubt so for Martinez and Dalot. I read somewhere that both are not starters.

This also depens how far their teams would go in the WC. For example Portugal won't play more than three matches if they keep starting Ronaldo. Imo Denmark won't go far either. So 2/3 of our midfield would have a good rest before the season restarts I think.
Yeah, said the same in Ronaldo thread.

Maybe they won't play that many games after all. Although I do want to see them succeed.

I was thinking their form will get them starting places for the national team. Surely for Licha for Argentina. His passing is a huge weapon.

bringbackbebe

In hindsight, Arnautovic signing wouldn't have been bad at all. Pity the club caved into fan pressure. The timing was possibly bad and we should have moved after signing Casemiro and Antony to ease tensions.

TheReligion

Abusive

Good post.

If people can’t see the gradual positive changes happening under Ten Hag they are idiots

cyberman

It is what it is.
Martinez and Dalot aren’t starters for their country. The break won’t be that bad for us with the likes of Lindelof, Sancho, Garnacho, McTominay and Martial not going. If anything the players that are going, not playing but are training every day are in a better position than those taking a few weeks off imo. Even Rashford should just be a sub.

norm87cro

Martinez and Dalot aren’t starters for their country. The break won’t be that bad for us with the likes of Lindelof, Sancho, Garnacho, McTominay and Martial not going. If anything the players that are going, not playing but are training every day are in a better position than those taking a few weeks off imo. Even Rashford should just be a sub.
Thats a fair point. Unfortunately the likes of Haaland and Salah should be rested as well