Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 497 51.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 468 48.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm sure they weren't his first choices, I'm pretty sure he said none of the top coaches would be willing to leave their positions and join United as interim coaches until the end of the season, which I understand. But you would imagine that the lads he brought in know what he wants and how to coach the style he wants. Worrying that our players have pretty much decided it's not for them or they can't be arsed with it.
Not like I care about Ralf and his coaches now and what you think about them. This is ETH thread and I don't know how it's relevant to my post about ETH and Stam.

crossy1686

career ending
Always with the excuses. Kovac claimed the players available at Bayern weren’t suited for the type of football the fans wanted to see, was he right or was he simply not good enough to both motivate and instruct the players.

Has anyone claimed that everything was just perfect for Ralf to come in and win?
Probably the wrong person for the wrong job, like Ralf at United. Bayern were still winning league titles though and had players that could do that. Lets check back in with them when they've gone 10 years without a league.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He will need 3/4 starters to make a big difference I reckon. I think he can have a positive and successful season with a team like the below.

——————Henderson———————
New RB—Varane——Maguire—Shaw
————New DM——New DM/Fred—
——New RW—Bruno——-Sancho—-
——————Ronaldo/New ST————

If he can get a tune out of Rashford even better but might be a miracle too far. Lindelof will continue to play a role and if he can’t reinvigorate Maguire it could be him in the side. I think Midfield is vital and we do need at least 2 players in there who can get on the ball and retain it under pressure. Now let’s dare to dream for a second at the below:

——————Henderson———————
Lamptey—Varane——Maguire—Shaw
————De Jong——R.Neves/Fred—
——Nkunku—Bruno——-Sancho—-
——————Ronaldo/Nunez————

Shipping out some of the deadwood in the process but that would very possibly be a team reborn under proper coaching. The league outside of City & Liverpool is toss so depending on who we get this summer, top four should really be achievable.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He needs 4/5 new signings in for the first training session. Change up the dressing room before the rot of the current group culture sets in.

UncleBob

Probably the wrong person for the wrong job, like Ralf at United. Bayern were still winning league titles though and had players that could do that. Lets check back in with them when they've gone 10 years without a league.
So you do agree that someone less shit at managing than Ralf would’ve done a superior job as interim manager.

Elcabron

He will need 3/4 starters to make a big difference I reckon. I think he can have a positive and successful season with a team like the below.

——————Henderson———————
————New DM——New DM/Fred—
——————Ronaldo/New ST————

If he can get a tune out of Rashford even better but might be a miracle too far. Lindelof will continue to play a role and if he can’t reinvigorate Maguire it could be him in the side. I think Midfield is vital and we do need at least 2 players in there who can get on the ball and retain it under pressure. Now let’s dare to dream for a second at the below:

——————Henderson———————
——————Ronaldo/Nunez————

Shipping out some of the deadwood in the process but that would very possibly be a team reborn under proper coaching. The league outside of City & Liverpool is toss so depending on who we get this summer, top four should really be achievable.
I'm down with this. Thats a big outlay. Best part of 250m, but all are potentially getable.

We really need Maguire and Shaw to regain last seasons form. New right back is absaloutely essential as are two quality midfielders. We could also do with Rashford getting back to the player he was, I don't have much faith that will happen but hopefully it does.

I'm down with this. Thats a big outlay. Best part of 250m, but all are potentially getable.

We really need Maguire and Shaw to regain last seasons form. New right back is absaloutely essential as are two quality midfielders. We could also do with Rashford getting back to the player he was, I don't have much faith that will happen but hopefully it does.
I keep saying it Celtic won 9 leagues in a row in Scotland, the team got old and stale together, A new ,amager came in and tore it all up. By January there were 9 new starters in the first team. End result Celtic crowned champions today.
Let ETH tear it up. Why is anyone suggesting Maguire as a starter? He's miles too slow. Ship out Jones, Bailly and if anyone offers 40m + Maguire. Bring in a centre half with pace. Shaw has a lot to do to justify his place in the squad as well.
Quality midfielders are essential, lets get Frenkie De Jong.

marcus agrippa

What’s what about? I’m saying we repeatedly hire managers who turn out to be shite.
It isn't magic.

Moyes had 10 years in the prem when we hired him. Never won anything. And yet we hired him.

LvG hadn't managed for a decade in club football when we hired him. And yet we hired him.

Mourinho had just melted down at Chelsea. We were warned he was on the downslide. And yet we hired him.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Well ...

How does Ten Hag fit this pattern?

Dominos

buying a lot of players will only make it worse.

Get rid of some, buy some, work with the ones left to up their game and promote from the academy. It has to be a rebuild (we all hate this word by now, but it has to be). It will take time……
The point is we can make huge strides in 1 window if we're willing to invest heavily, and make good decisions (for once) as to who we sign. Spreading out the signings over multiple years just means our progress will be far slower.

Give us £150m budget + any income from sales and we can probably make 5 signings if we're shrewd in the market. That's an absolutely massive difference to the team.

Smithy89

Feel for him, he should stayed at Ajax and held out for a proper club in Germany or waited for City. He can't fix this mess and the Glazers won't give him the correct power to even attempt it.

OverratedOpinion

It isn't magic.

Moyes had 10 years in the prem when we hired him. Never won anything. And yet we hired him.

LvG hadn't managed for a decade in club football when we hired him. And yet we hired him.

Mourinho had just melted down at Chelsea. We were warned he was on the downslide. And yet we hired him.

This does point to something.

Ten Hag is the first manager we have hired since Sir Alex who is in the ascendency.

I honestly just hope we can put some good people around him and just let him focus on the training ground.

Kaushal

It isn't magic.

Literally made CL final in 2010 with bayern beating us in quarters en route four years before we hired him.

Managed AZ Alkmaar from 2005-09 and then bayern from 2009-11. What you are on about ?

Last edited:

maximus419

Feel for him, he should stayed at Ajax and held out for a proper club in Germany or waited for City. He can't fix this mess and the Glazers won't give him the correct power to even attempt it.
That is my concern too. He's come from a very well run club at Ajax, renowned for its development of youth, and style of play. They have an identity and players have to fit a certain profile to play in the first team.

It would've been so easy to get a tune out of the players at Ajax because of this, it's part of the culture, anyone not up to standards doesn't make it. That includes staff and they actually employ proper football people with the pedigree in the game to make the right decisions at every step of the process. Whoever takes over ETH at Ajax, has a solid foundation to carry on the work.

Contrast that to utd. It's been the complete opposite. Firstly there is just no identity as to what utd stand for and what's expected from the players. It's just become a money making sporting business, whether it's from the owners, the financial business types they've had running the club, or the huge amount of players who've been signed who came here purely for the money.

There is a terrible culture that has set in throughout the club that I really don't know if it can be fixed. It must stem from the top all the way down to the players, they know it's a business first model so decisions taken firstly are about finances, be it their sponsors and partners, through to the media commitments and so on, then finally what happens on the pitch is way down on the agenda.

I hope I'm wrong and ETH has the ability to turn it around but given he has no experience outside of Holland, it's a gamble but at this stage, it's probably needed because we've run out of ideas now. Given what I said though, I think until the glazers go and we get in owners who allow the club to flourish and the business model is ripped up, then utd can become a football club again.

ForeverRed1

There’s never a better time to come here as the manager for someone like him. Everything he can possibly do will be seen as improvement. The board can’t have rose tinted glasses on any longer and without champions league have to act. They lose 75mil next season if they don’t get into champions league. Historically they spend more when we miss on champions league.

Now is the time he can pretty much make any demands and they will go with it, we are pretty much at rock bottom. He will be rubbing his hands together with this project.. if he can pull it off his career will sky rocket. If it doesn’t work out, it’s this club, the board, the way it’s ran, no different to any other manager we have had since fergie. Win win at this point for him imo.

crossy1686

career ending
So you do agree that someone less shit at managing than Ralf would’ve done a superior job as interim manager.
I never said they wouldn't, you ran away with that point for some reason. I'm being level headed enough to say that it isn't all on the manager when you look at all the shit that's been going on.

JustinC00

Feel sorry for him because he's gonna waste 3-4 years of his career trying to fix a decade old mess that won't be fixed until the greedy owners that use the club as an investment and not a football club feck off

Looking forward to the idiot glazers not backing him at all this summer because we missed europe and tell him transfers in are contingent on transfers out. Which we are the worst club at getting rid of deadwood.

RiqCantona

It isn't magic.

Agree. appointing ETH is a strategic shift.

Jericholyte2

Do we have faith that the people in charge will have the guts and give the money needed for a mass clear-out?

UncleBob

I never said they wouldn't, you ran away with that point for some reason. I'm being level headed enough to say that it isn't all on the manager when you look at all the shit that's been going on.
You’re level headed enough to consistently attempt to shift blame from the interim manager, even to the point of arguing that it’s ok if he gave up in january. Level headed is perhaps the exact opposite of what you are

RiqCantona

——————Henderson———————
————New DM——New DM/Fred—
——————Ronaldo/New ST————

——————Henderson———————
——————Ronaldo/Nunez————

I'd go with
—————————DDG—————————
New RB — Varane — New CB — Shaw
——Tchouameni ——VdB/Fred
Nkunku———Bruno———Sancho
————Ronaldo/Nunez————

Jericholyte2

We’ve outspent pretty much everyone since Fergie retired, since when was money the issue
TBH i was leaning much closer to the guts bit. They need to bite the bullet, accept losses and get players that ETH doesn’t want out of the club.

crossy1686

career ending
You’re level headed enough to consistently attempt to shift blame from the interim manager, even to the point of arguing that it’s ok if he gave up in january. Level headed is perhaps the exact opposite of what you are
:lol: I never said any of it was okay, if for one second you bothered to stop projecting what you think people are thinking because you’re so entrenched in all our problems being solved when Ralf leaves you’d be able to see that. We can only hope that when he does leave some of the issues get solved and Ten Hag is better. I get the feeling it’s not going to be anywhere near as smooth as people think it is.

UncleBob

TBH i was leaning much closer to the guts bit. They need to bite the bullet, accept losses and get players that ETH doesn’t want out of the club.
With the amount of players leaving due to their contracts, it’s unlikely we’ll see a mass exit in terms of selling players

UncleBob

:lol: I never said any of it was okay, if for one second you bothered to stop projecting what you think people are thinking because you’re so entrenched in all our problems being solved when Ralf leaves you’d be able to see that. We can only hope that when he does leave some of the issues get solved and Ten Hag is better. I get the feeling it’s not going to be anywhere near as smooth as people think it is.
Yet all you’ve done is post excuses for him, how it was only natural to give up.

It’s obviously not going to be an easy ride for Ten Hag, especially with a squad that Ralf has dragged even further towards the bottom. I have very little doubt that it’ll take a short amount of time for Ten Hag to implement his visions, we’ll obviously have lots of ups and downs going forward, but we’ll see clear improvements in how we play, rather than Ralf implementing Ole version 0.8

Bestietom

I'd go with
—————————DDG—————————
——Tchouameni ——VdB/Fred
Nkunku———Bruno———Sancho
————Ronaldo/Nunez————
Think we need 6 signings. I would like to see Savic or de Jong with Tchouameni. The other positions you have for new players I agree with.
The CB must be big strong and mobile.

TrustInJanuzaj

I'd go with
—————————DDG—————————
——Tchouameni ——VdB/Fred
Nkunku———Bruno———Sancho
————Ronaldo/Nunez————
A new CB won’t be a priority this summer I don’t think.

Joseunited

Relegation for us then.

Bestietom

With the amount of players leaving due to their contracts, it’s unlikely we’ll see a mass exit in terms of selling players
Yes, we need to sell so as to buy more players. We have 10 players out on loan with 2/3 who may make it, and add about 7/8 more players who are deadwood in our squad who we can sell.
The manager has to be given Full Control of incomings and outgoings.

Jericholyte2

Then most of the discussion here is moot.

We need a cull of 12-14, even if we only brought in 4-5 players and used the likes of Garner, Hannibal, Garnacho, Laird, Mengi, Fernandez etc.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yes, we need to sell so as to buy more players. We have 10 players out on loan with 2/3 who may make it, and add about 7/8 more players who are deadwood in our squad who we can sell.
The manager has to be given Full Control of incomings and outgoings.
Nope that’s exactly what we need to avoid again! We instead need to go with the overarching vision of the club established by our DOF. Ten Hag will be our head coach tasked with getting the most out of the players and building a system that works. He will of course have a say on the players but the decision should not be his alone otherwise you end up in situations like LVG or Mourinho leaving us a pile of cross.

UncleBob

Then most of the discussion here is moot.

We need a cull of 12-14, even if we only brought in 4-5 players and used the likes of Garner, Hannibal, Garnacho, Laird, Mengi, Fernandez etc.
It’s not moot, but people need to be a bit realistic in terms of the players that are out of contract, expecting mass sales on top of that is going to be difficult

Bestietom

Nope that’s exactly what we need to avoid again! We instead need to go with the overarching vision of the club established by our DOF. Ten Hag will be our head coach tasked with getting the most out of the players and building a system that works. He will of course have a say on the players but the decision should not be his alone otherwise you end up in situations like LVG or Mourinho leaving us a pile of cross.
With what is going on in our club for the last 10 years, we will get no one to manage this club without this authority. Fergie had the final say on players and won us 13 premier leagues and countless other trophies. We need to start thinking the same way now.

UncleBob

With what is going on in our club for the last 10 years, we will get no one to manage this club without this authority. Fergie had the final say on players and won us 13 premier leagues and countless other trophies. We need to start thinking the same way now.
All our managers since Fergie has had the final say on player signings, it’s been a large part of the problem.

Loon

:lol:
Wow. Loads of people feeling sorry for him taking one of the biggest jobs in football. Can't imagine the reaction here in 1986.

The man believes in himself and that the club can be turned around. I fear for him only in respect of what he has in the dressing room, but I hope he can spot the charlatans pretty quickly and Noa Lang their arse out the door. Have the ego and support to believe there's no-one bigger than him.

Loon

:lol:
All our managers since Fergie has had the final say on player signings, it’s been a large part of the problem.
And ten Hag will also have a say, but another part of the problem was the tired recruitment set-up, which has already started to change.

Jericholyte2

Who are the 14 we need to cull?
A combination of those leaving and who we need to sell:

DDG / Henderson depending on who ETH wants as no.1
Grant: Leaving, replace with Johnstone on a free?

AWB: sell if decent offer comes in - replace with Laird?
Jones
Bailly
Maguire (if ETH wanted a replacement)
Tuanzebe - replace with Mengi?
Telles - replace with Fernandez?

Matic leaving - replace with Garner?
Mata leaving - replace with Hannibal?
Pogba leaving
Fred / Mct: if anyone made a decent offer I’d let one of them go
VDB: depending on if ETH wants him
Pereira

Cavani leaving
Lingard leaving - replace with Garnacho?
Martial if anyone offers decent money
Chong to sell
In the Football Manager world I’d also let Tashford go if the right offer came in.

So there’s 18.
Replace 6 with academy players

Priority positions to buy;
ST / RW / CM x2 / CB / FB (pick your side)