Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 516 52.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 47.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
There’s no way in the world it will be possible to a) identify and b) sign the talent needed in order to seriously challenge before the start of next season. The fans have to be patient.
There are evidence of that happening especially at big clubs who sack managers constantly. However, I don't expect him to challenge next season unless we sign the right players, but moreso to get the basic objective of achieving top four.

united for life

It will take time but we still need more than just some given we will lose many and some are as good as lost (Greenwood Martial etc). I don't think we should expect too many promotions. It's a huge step up to the first team and ETH will be expected to deliver CL footy as well.
“you can’t win anything with kids”, can you? I’d still like to see academy players given a chance. I think he is good at spotting talent, he’s done that at Ajax very well. How many players can he buy anyway? 3? 4? That’s it - and it’s not like he’ll have half a billion to spend. Spending has to be smart and scouting has to be smarter

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
He needs more $$ to revamp this squad. 150mil won’t cut it.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Imagine ETH watching our last few games with a pen and a pad. He's crossed through every name by now.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
“you can’t win anything with kids”, can you? I’d still like to see academy players given a chance. I think he is good at spotting talent, he’s done that at Ajax very well. How many players can he buy anyway? 3? 4? That’s it - and it’s not like he’ll have half a billion to spend. Spending has to be smart and scouting has to be smarter
We had an experience successful core of players when the class of 92 was introduced to that side. The only experience we have now in the side is a core of failure.

united for life

We had an experience successful core of players when the class of 92 was introduced to that side. The only experience we have now in the side is a core of failure.
fair point. Probably won’t win the league with the kids, but night at least have some skillful players willing to fight for the shirt. We don’t do that anymore

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Introducing kids with our current lot would only damage the said kids. Who wants another lingard or rashford with a bad attitude ?

Keep the kids away until the squad is gutted so they dont fall into bad company.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
We've just appointed a systemic manager on a 6 month interim contract, with a group of players who cannot play together in one system the manager wants to play. On top of that we lost 4 coaches when Ole left and had to bring in 2 MLS coaches so someone could take training. The current group of players either couldn't do or couldn't understand the system Ralf wanted to play and unless we have a massive overhaul of the playing squad, what you're seeing right now is what we'll get for the first 6 months of next season. By which point Ten Hag will be a fraud by a section of people on here.
Fair enough. I do agree with your take on Ralf. Don't think he's a particularly great coach but he was doomed from the start IMO.

In Rainbows

Introducing kids with our current lot would only damage the said kids. Who wants another lingard or rashford with a bad attitude ?

Keep the kids away until the squad is gutted so they dont fall into bad company.
Will it though? They're already spending time with them at the training ground. All you would be doing is giving them experience in learning how to deal with crowds, and a change in speed of play. The attitude influence is already present though.

Ace

Imagine ETH watching our last few games with a pen and a pad. He's crossed through every name by now.
Hopefully crossed out Ralf’s name as a future consultant. Imagine keeping that guy on the payroll or pretending he has anything to offer the team.

crossy1686

career ending
Fair enough. I do agree with your take on Ralf. Don't think he's a particularly great coach but he was doomed from the start IMO.
Yeah exactly, I just hope we're not setting Ten Hag up for failure as well, because after the way this season has ended people will be out for blood come the 5th game of next season if we're not 200% better than the current shit we're being served.

izec

So all interim managers are doomed from the start?
No, but we are a special case. Every United supporter knows that. You wont get a great manager as interim anyway. At that time, the club didnt want a permanent manager, as no one was there to step in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I found it interesting how Stam randomly appeared at the Brentford game this past week. Is this some kind of sign that he’s joining the ETH coaching setup? Or is it pure coincidence and he was just a guest of honour for that game or something?
I doubt ETH will hire random United legend. He's going to pick someone that share the same philosophy as his or can adapt to his philosophy for his coaching setup.

crossy1686

career ending
So all interim managers are doomed from the start?
Well technically yes, it's a poisoned chalice regardless, which is why you never see big name managers agreeing to become a temporary manager for 6 months before leaving. It's different to take a job midseason than to take a job midseason and everyone know you're leaving at the end of the season anyway. On top of that we lost 4 coaches with Ole and the players aren't up to running for their own pride. Ralf's not done a very good job but it has been heavily stacked against him from day one.

SER19

If we don't make massive squad changes, we will have 'United players unimpressed by Ten Hag coaching' and 'controlling style' newspaper stories by October. Even if some aren't actively partaking they're part of a rubbish culture of very low standards. Could easily see 8 out and 8 in and it still only be half the battle

crossy1686

career ending
If we don't make massive squad changes, we will have 'United players unimpressed by Ten Hag coaching' and 'controlling style' newspaper stories by October. Even if some aren't actively partaking they're part of a rubbish culture of very low standards. Could easily see 8 out and 8 in and it still only be half the battle
I think as long as Jesse leaves those stories stop the same day.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Didn't Ralf do that with the coaches him managed to get from the MLS who used to work at RB Leipzig?
Those coaches used to work with Ralf to be fair, so it's not just random and not the same case with what I just explained. Although his choices were limited since most people he worked with already had contract with other clubs and also had visa issue to work at UK.

crossy1686

career ending
Those coaches used to work with Ralf to be fair. Although his choices were limited since most people he worked with already had contract with other clubs and also had visa issue to work at UK.
I'm sure they weren't his first choices, I'm pretty sure he said none of the top coaches would be willing to leave their positions and join United as interim coaches until the end of the season, which I understand. But you would imagine that the lads he brought in know what he wants and how to coach the style he wants. Worrying that our players have pretty much decided it's not for them or they can't be arsed with it.

UncleBob

Well technically yes, it's a poisoned chalice regardless, which is why you never see big name managers agreeing to become a temporary manager for 6 months before leaving. It's different to take a job midseason than to take a job midseason and everyone know you're leaving at the end of the season anyway. On top of that we lost 4 coaches with Ole and the players aren't up to running for their own pride. Ralf's not done a very good job but it has been heavily stacked against him from day one.
:lol:

Hansi Flick took over as interim, so did Heynckes. When Ralf took over, it was made fairly clear to everyone that he wasn’t leaving at the end of the season but rather staying on as a consultant, not to mention that Ralf himself didn’t rule out staying on as manager. Not entirely sure why you’re so desperate to pretend otherwise, apart from your bizarre agenda. Ralf‘s not done a very good job, good one, he’s been awful and as a result it’s going to be even worse for Ten Hag

UncleBob

I'm sure they weren't his first choices, I'm pretty sure he said none of the top coaches would be willing to leave their positions and join United as interim coaches until the end of the season, which I understand. But you would imagine that the lads he brought in know what he wants and how to coach the style he wants. Worrying that our players have pretty much decided it's not for them or they can't be arsed with it.
This is almost as funny as a certain poster obsessing over Poch

crossy1686

career ending
:lol:

Hansi Flick took over as interim, so did Heynckes. When Ralf took over, it was made fairly clear to everyone that he wasn’t leaving at the end of the season but rather staying on as a consultant, not to mention that Ralf himself didn’t rule out staying on as manager. Not entirely sure why you’re so desperate to pretend otherwise, apart from your bizarre agenda. Ralf‘s not done a very good job, good one, he’s been awful and as a result it’s going to be even worse for Ten Hag
And as I've previously stated, Bayern's players have more pride in their performances and the club to down tools under a manager, their club simply doesn't allow the players to do that and remain at the club. I think you'll find the only person who is desperate in here or has an agenda is you trying to tar everyone as a stout Rangnick apologist. I've said multiple times Ralf isn't up to the day to day management of a football club and that he has ultimately failed in his role as interim manager, but to pretend everything was just perfect for him to come in and win, as a systemic manager at a club with no system or coherent recruitment, is just burying your head in the sand.

UncleBob

And as I've previously stated, Bayern's players have more pride in their performances and the club to down tools under a manager, their club simply doesn't allow the players to do that and remain at the club. I think you'll find the only person who is desperate in here or has an agenda is you trying to tar everyone as a stout Rangnick apologist. I've said multiple times Ralf isn't up to the day to day management of a football club and that he has ultimately failed in his role as interim manager, but to pretend everything was just perfect for him to come in and win, as a systemic manager at a club with no system or coherent recruitment, is just burying your head in the sand.
Always with the excuses. Kovac claimed the players available at Bayern weren’t suited for the type of football the fans wanted to see, was he right or was he simply not good enough to both motivate and instruct the players.

Has anyone claimed that everything was just perfect for Ralf to come in and win?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Worried now that he will struggle. Badly need a clear out this summer. What a mess we are in.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He's in for a very tough job. And I dont think the fanbase is ready for another Squad rebuild

Someone

Something
Personally, if I were taking over a failing institution and I could be sacked in 6 months I'd take a week or two max and even then I'd be on the phone daily. You'd want to make the best start possible and not leave anything to chance or trust the people in charge who have fired multiple managers at this point and recruited shit players on big contracts.
I think most probably that's what he'll do. It'll be more of a semi vacation because he can't afford wasting any time even if the club allows him to.

Jezpeza

Hes got a big task ahead but at the end of the day the most dogturd utd side in the PL era is still going to finish 6th (maybe 7th). If we are smart we will cut the squad to about 16 seniors supplemented by youngsters.

he’ll have to sign a midfield, a striker and a centre back but I feel that with a good system and a return to form for Rashford and Shaw (if they dont they will need replacing) we can have quite a competitive first 11 next season - not title competitive yet but much better than this season. Squad depth will be an issue but the core of our ‘second’ 11 could be Maguire, Lindelof, Mctominay and Fred. Not the end of the world for europa league football.

Really do believe that if Lingard or Pogba get new contracts or if we start next season with mcfred in midfield and the likes of Bailly and Jones here then its obvious that all the ‘reset’ talk is bollocks and hes already fecked from the start

Mike Smalling

With the state we are in, he should probably get at least three seasons almost no matter what (obviously barring relegation).

Proper patience needed here, and if he doesn’t have the right influence on transfers we are done for.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
With the state we are in, he should probably get at least three seasons almost no matter what (obviously barring relegation).

Proper patience needed here, and if he doesn’t have the right influence on transfers we are done for.
There should be patience from the fans now it’s clear what a shitshow he’s walking into