Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 348 43.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 453 56.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeh the starting 11 thing is just a personal preference. I get why he did it. It was his in game management that was the problem though once we were down to 10.
How was it a problem? We were down to 10 men. The game turned into an open end to end thing which at that point is our best option with superior individuals. What did you want to happen?

Skills

Snitch
That starting line up was dogshit tbh. There's no reason to make that game so open and end to end. If we close up the middle more and instead try to gain control, we might not have a man sent off. Southampton had it way too easy getting into our half

AshRK

Yes playing with one man midfield was bold and probably stupid but then people have to realize Fred needed rest and Mctominay and Case cannot play together as ETH doesn't think he is a B2B. We are very thin in midfield department and Sabitzer being injured has not helped.

People have to say it more that ETH was absolutely fecked in winter window.

tomaldinho1

This is where you really see the schedule biting us in the arse. Eriksen, Sabitzer and VdB injuries have really screwed is there’s just zero cover in the CMs and we are relying on Wout for goals.

AshRK

This is where you really see the schedule biting us in the arse. Eriksen, Sabitzer and VdB injuries have really screwed is there’s just zero cover in the CMs and we are relying on Wout for goals.
Thanks to a stupid winter window. Look at Arsenal. Signed 3 players and are reaping rewards. Our manager got 0 money to spend and had to get a burnely reject to help him goals.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I dont think the setup today was bad, Casemiro being redcarded obviously wasnt in the gameplan.

HookedOnAPhelan

We were open before the red, but that was because we were sloppy as feck. Passing was really poor and lots of bad decisions.

mav_9me

All out attack approach never works. On paper it looks fantastic but in reality teams which go like that always struggle to dominate.
Tbf, i was always curious about Bruno on no8 position. I always thought that he can do it very well but it seems that he is just too attacking minded for that role.
Tbf he did fine against Betis on Thursday. Difference is we had Fred in the middle too, whereas today it was Sancho. In hindsight maybe should have gone with McT for control, but that's not necessarily a great idea either.

Marwood

As did Arsenal. The fact that we were down to 10 doesn't speak to the fact that we were uninspiringly languid when we were at full strength. That's two straight league fixtures without a goal as well.
It was always very likely because Rashford wouldn't keep that scoring rate going.

And if he's not scoring who is?

Cathy Ferguson

It was always very likely because Rashford wouldn't keep that scoring rate going.

And if he's not scoring who is?
That is our main problem. I know Antony scored a beauty against Betis but I do not rate the guy (even at 54m) and we are very short of quality attacking options. Sancho, Weghorst and Antony are bottom PL quality players.

Marwood

That is our main problem. I know Antony scored a beauty against Betis but I do not rate the guy (even at 54m) and we are very short of quality attacking options. Sancho, Weghorst and Antony are bottom PL quality players.
I've disagreed with people here before who think ETH has transformed our attacking play. He hasn't. Not yet. I'd say for quite a few different reasons we're as limited now as we have been for quite some time. In terms of attacking. It's all on one guy. One guy whose just had a bad 18 month and somehow sparked into brilliant goal scoring form post world cup.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thanks to a stupid winter window. Look at Arsenal. Signed 3 players and are reaping rewards. Our manager got 0 money to spend and had to get a burnely reject to help him goals.
In fairness he did get 60m on Casemiro, 85m on Antony, 35m on Martinez, 20m (?) on Malachia.....

Apart from Chelsea's latest mad romp, who has spent more than that this year?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've disagreed with people here before who think ETH has transformed our attacking play. He hasn't. Not yet. I'd say for quite a few different reasons we're as limited now as we have been for quite some time. In terms of attacking. It's all on one guy. One guy whose just had a bad 18 month and somehow sparked into brilliant goal scoring form post world cup.
Not sure Wout has quite been that just yet mate?

i know...just kidding

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
In fairness he did get 60m on Casemiro, 85m on Antony, 35m on Martinez, 20m (?) on Malachia.....

We still had Ronaldo at the time, who knew he was going to turn into a hissy fitting disaster. Once he went it was obvious he needed a proper replacement.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah our attacking play is lacking. Still heavily reliant on counter attacks and worryingly dependent on one player's brilliance.

I would say it's mainly down to personnel however, we have a complete lack of goalscorers and Martial's availability has hamstrung us all season. Eriksen's injury was a huge blow to our play.

AshRK

Well our board made a right mess by not signing antony much earlier the window and overpaying for it. Don't think we would have signed Casemiro either had we not lost our first two games.

5 players in the summer were never going to be enough after we lost so many players. We needed a proper cf and he got none. So it is pretty evident why we struggle to score minus rashford. We are doing fine for the squad we have but had we actually gone and got a half decent number 9 , we would have been much closer to Arsenal than Spurs.

And if I am not wrong Arsenal has just spent 40 odd million than us this season. For a club like Arsenal to almost match out spending should be in excusable.

lex talionis

I have to agree with others who have made the point that we looked tired, with a few exceptions such as Martinez. If only we could somehow give everyone 10 days before their next match.

ETH has managed everything thrown at him brilliantly this season, including today's performance Anthony Taylor. This was a match we could have easily lost, but he somehow found the magic formula to make sure we didn't.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well our board made a right mess by not signing antony much earlier the window and overpaying for it. Don't think we would have signed Casemiro either had we not lost our first two games.

5 players in the summer were never going to be enough after we lost so many players. We needed a proper cf and he got none. So it is pretty evident why we struggle to score minus rashford. We are doing fine for the squad we have but had we actually gone and got a half decent number 9 , we would have been much closer to Arsenal than Spurs.

And if I am not wrong Arsenal has just spent 40 odd million than us this season. For a club like Arsenal to almost match out spending should be in excusable.
You're utterly wrong pal. Who do you think they'd signed to rival the fees for Antony and Casemiro!?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-arsenal/alletransfers/verein/11
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-united/alletransfers/verein/985

Marwood

Yeah our attacking play is lacking. Still heavily reliant on counter attacks and worryingly dependent on one player's brilliance.

I would say it's mainly down to personnel however, we have a complete lack of goalscorers and Martial's availability has hamstrung us all season. Eriksen's injury was a huge blow to our play.
Yeah it's personnel. I've had this debate and some think I'm having a go at ETH. I'm not, its just a reality that in terms of attacking we haven't improved.

The only part ETH is culpable for is Antony. In a team lacking goals and assists you can't pay £80 million for a guy who doesn't provide much of either.

This summer needs to be incredible for us to have a shot at the title next season.

Cathy Ferguson

Bruno is also having a great season and he covers a lot of ground. We are obviously missing a striker but the overall contribution from Sancho and Antony is below what you would expect. Signings are needed and it is a disgrace that we could only afford Weghorst in January.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yeah it's personnel. I've had this debate and some think I'm having a go at ETH. I'm not, its just a reality that in terms of attacking we haven't improved.

The only part ETH is culpable for is Antony. In a team lacking goals and assists you can't pay £80 million for a guy who doesn't provide much of either.

This summer needs to be incredible for us to have a shot at the title next season.
People just get annoyed at any form of discussion that isn't praise in this thread. Defensively has been where the improvement is despite the big defeats, but we've scored less than last season after 26 games. Thankfully he's got a tune out of Rashford.

Marwood

People just get annoyed at any form of discussion that isn't praise in this thread. Defensively has been where the improvement is despite the big defeats, but we've scored less than last season after 26 games. Thankfully he's got a tune out of Rashford.
Yeah agree with that and with Eriksen we were starting to get a bit more control in games. Nowhere near it needs to be but moving towards it.

I really don't get the club. The players we've had of the highest technical ability,all the trophies it brings and then we switch to grafters and runners?

I still think back to 06/07. Carrick and Scholes just passing teams to death. Have to get back to that.

Theonas

Scout
Yeah agree with that and with Eriksen we were starting to get a bit more control in games. Nowhere near it needs to be but moving towards it.

I really don't get the club. The players we've had of the highest technical ability,all the trophies it brings and then we switch to grafters and runners?

I still think back to 06/07. Carrick and Scholes just passing teams to death. Have to get back to that.
Carrick and Veron are probably the only midfielders that Fergie bought with very high technical ability. Scholes was home grown and we usually went for energy and athleticism in those days. That was not an issue in the PL because the whole league was not very technical back then anyway but we were exposed in Europe time after time with our best moments coming at the back of fighting spirit and very high quality transitional play.

The problem after Fergie is that Moyes and Solskjaer tried to copy him but in a different time, a time where there is much more emphasis on technical ability than it was at the master's time. Mourinho is just not that kind of coach which leaves LvG whose time when it comes transfer strategy is the biggest mystery to me. EtH got Eriksen and targeted De Jong. I'd say it's clear where his priorities are so all in all, it's not really that surprising where we are and what we have.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's not had a suitable striker all season.

I want to see the team with a world class or near elite center forward leading the line.

And I'm pretty sure the underlying metrics re: our attack lately is trending up a lot.

next_number_seven

Eriksens a huge loss. Teams know to press Bruno as he's our creative force. That's why ETH is moving him around the pitch.

Matt851

All out attack approach never works. On paper it looks fantastic but in reality teams which go like that always struggle to dominate.
Tbf, i was always curious about Bruno on no8 position. I always thought that he can do it very well but it seems that he is just too attacking minded for that role.
He could pitentially do a job as the more attacking of two 8's but with sancho in front of him, that will never work

Its a really poor decision from ETH to put him there to be honest. Not the first strange selection decision from him Iately

Last edited:

Matt851

Arsenal have also signed better overall

Signing antony for that fee was an abysmal decision when we had a limited pot of funding

Blood Mage

To his credit we would have folded in that game today under any of our previous coaches. But we kept trying to get the win without conceding so fair play.

AshRK

Arsenal have also signed better overall

Signing antony for that fee was an abysmal decision when we had a limited pot of funding
Arsenal's signing looks better because their manager have been with the club for 3 years and knew which players to target and even then they were pretty close to spending 80 million plus on Mudryk. They have depth in each position while we don't.

I agree we shouldn't have paid 80 million on antony but ETH had said he wanted him well in early June. We could have got him for 50 million then. It was our board's stupid call to wait and then panic.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I think it’s going to be a real struggle to get top 4.

It will be interesting to see if the new owners stick with him if he doesn’t deliver CL football for next season.

criticalanalysis

I love ETH but he's got to be a bit more conservative with our first 11. I would like to see him play all of our available midfielders in Sabitzer, Fred, McT and Bruno out wide in one game to see if we can maintain more control.

Bruno the sacrificial lamb again but I really don't want to see a two of any of the above four. Weghorst also needs to be dropped for a game or two. I want to see more of Sancho (yes even as terrible as he has been) and Garnacho/Pellistri more with Rashford.

Ibrahimorich

I think it’s going to be a real struggle to get top 4.

It will be interesting to see if the new owners stick with him if he doesn’t deliver CL football for next season.
What? Why? We have plenty of winnable games coming up. We have a small cushion to 5th and have Newcastle coming up. Do them again and it's in the bank. Incredible lack of faith! :houllier: