g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
All these top clubs going after him as predicted :(

Robbie Boy

Never been hired…? A bit strong. He was arguably the most successful of the post SAF managers. In hindsight, who was available that we should have hired?
I definitely wanted him as I thought he had what it takes to get us back to the top. It's not really arguable that it he was the best, either. He was.

The problem is, that bar is really low and his utterly cnutish behaviour and dour football ruin any fond memories of his spell. I don't class Ole as being remotely successful, but I definitely have fonder memories of his spell.

stevoc

I wonder if Ineos first would wait for Wilcox's audit(I think it was reported it'll take a month) OR sack ETH after the final ?
We love and audit, an assessment and good dossier at United. Good chance that was just PR guff and the decision is already made.

Keanes Magic Hat

aka we’re not sacking him until 26th May at the earliest so no interims
Exactly, they have already made their mind up but finally those running the show are putting out the right messages and not distracting the team and manager.

They are way too sensible to judge everything one one game.

The amateur hour before were everything was leaked and everyone knew Jose was coming in for LVG.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Exactly, they have already made their mind up but finally those running the show are putting out the right messages and not distracting the team and manager.

They are way too sensible to judge everything one one game.

The amateur hour before were everything was leaked and everyone knew Jose was coming in for LVG.
They shouldn't have said Champions League was important for FFP, which has shot them in the foot.

Red4ever27

I voted yes, I think he at least deserves the chance to end his tenure with a trophy, if he does go. It's saddening to see really, there were times in 2022/23 season where I thought we looked like we were progressing as a team but towards the end we just fell apart and he's not been able to put things right since. That being said, I don't think there's a manager alive right now who could come in and put things right within two seasons

Irwin99

People can say this all they want, it will never happen. It would literally only ever happen for someone like Guardiola, who we can't get. Anyone else will be being called a fraud by the fans if they finished outside top 4 for two seasons. And as ETH has shown (and he should go, I'm not saying he shouldn't) one season in is worth nothing if you plummet the next season, there is no credit in the bank here and there shouldn't be really.
I agree about EtH but he really frustrated me when he started talking about United DNA and being "the best transition team" and that you have to play a certain way here. If he had come in and wanted to change United into more of a possession team and if that meant a squad restructure AND we could see progress then I would absolutely take a few seasons out of the champions league if it meant building proper foundations. It can be done- if you look at Klopp or Arteta's first teams you see a huge transformation in player quality and style and i'd be fine with a process like that here at United, even if it took time.

DSG

I definitely wanted him as I thought he had what it takes to get us back to the top. It's not really arguable that it he was the best, either. He was.

The problem is, that bar is really low and his utterly cnutish behaviour and dour football ruin any fond memories of his spell. I don't class Ole as being remotely successful, but I definitely have fonder memories of his spell.
I think most wanted him or at least a lot of fans. The end was really bad, but his two full seasons he won two trophies and qualified for the CL twice, so… by number of trophies, yes. Agree the football wasn’t fun to watch.

DSG

He was always a disaster waiting to happen.

And that most successful thing gets thrown out way too much, he won a league cup and Europa league + a second place finish. That's not really than much more successful than an FA Cup or a league cup plus a couple of second and third place finishes. The football was awful shite and overall he was just a horrible appointment who spat his dummy out when he didn't get a player or two and went into sack me mode for 6 months.

I don't really remember who else was available at the time, but same as with players the Utd model was to pick the most obvious and expensive candidate.
Well Ole never won anything, but finished 2nd and 3rd in his two full seasons. Made 3 finals I think?

Van Gaal won an FA cup and had a 4th place and 5th place.

Moyes… no.

Rangnick, no.

Mourinho 2 trophies, 2 CL qualifications, 2nd and 6th. Left before the end of his 3rd season.

Ten hag has a league cup and we’ll be 6th or lower this season.

‘I’d say that’s the very definition of “arguably’.

I also thought his football was difficult to watch and there was always drama.

Rojofiam

Don't think so given all the chatter about game models and such. I'm certain that we'll go with someone that's a variant of Pep / Arteta. Tuchel, Potter fit well because they are both positional play adherents.

They build on what Ten Hag has achieved so far at United.
Agreed.

Isn't that also what Southampton did by hiring Russell Martin whilst Wilcox was there?

Wolfbot

I voted yes, I think he at least deserves the chance to end his tenure with a trophy, if he does go. It's saddening to see really, there were times in 2022/23 season where I thought we looked like we were progressing as a team but towards the end we just fell apart and he's not been able to put things right since. That being said, I don't think there's a manager alive right now who could come in and put things right within two seasons
I don't think anyone who's for real would have expected him to put things right within two seasons.

It's not acceptable to become significantly worse though. I think most people would have accepted a slight drop off in a level given the amount of football played last year and the amount of injuries. You simply can't go from looking pretty solid for most of a season to one of the worst teams in the league in terms of performance. We are where we are in the table due to the quality of some of our players, nothing we've done this season has been an example of a great team performance bar some successful backs to the wall defensive displays.

I'm genuinely shocked he's still our manager, should have been sacked ages ago. With that said, it would not surprise me in the slightest if we somehow won the FA Cup final and Antony gets the winner with our only shot on target or something, just seems to go that way for Ten Hag sometimes.

frostbite

400 million and two years later ... all our footballers are for sale, all our lines have major problems, we need to start over from scratch.

If this is not a complete failure, I don't know what it is.

ETH is our worst manager in the past 30 years, worse than Rangnick and Moyes. He wasted 400 million and we don't have a single world-class player.

stevoc

I dont think he actually believes this to be fair
I genuinely hope he does not or his claim about McTominay being very creative. If he does then things are more desperate than I imagined.

BorisManUtd

We've only finished lower than 6th once since 1990 and that was in Moyes' season. Good chances it'll happen again with Newcastle finishing above us and possibly Chelsea as well...

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Well, no point discussing anything until after the FA Cup then. I'm disappointed we're willing to throw away our only chance at a trophy this season, but oh well.
I want him out but I don't see the the point in doing it before the end of the season.

He was a pretty popular choice on the forum when appointed - something new and going to bring us up with the times with a modern progressive manager.

However I've seen no progression just the opposite. We have no identity on the pitch, too little effort and no confidence.

Last season seems to have been reinvented as something close to glorious. We are dire and need to face up to it before we can even approach something acceptable.

Having said that United till I die.

witchtrials

So he is just lying to fans now?
Jesus Christ, bit of a platitude defending his team in the media is "lying to fans".

Just checking if your understanding is that normally managers come out after a game and give a thorough and accurate analysis of all failings of the players?

UTD_Since_1978

Sack him when this season is over like LVG, whether he can win the FA Cup like LVG remains to be seen.

Obviously beating Palace is totally different than beating Oil Money FC, hell, even Lingard scored a cup final goal against Palace for LVG.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This poll is very different to the last. So, a lot of the people who were for sacking him in the last poll want to at least give him the chance at the final.

Are people really happy with going into a final against City with him? If you want him out anyway, surely you don't have any faith in him winning it? Why not give ourselves the best chance by getting in someone who can at least coach a coherent system?

croadyman

Can see him persuading Wilcox during these talks he is worthy of another season. Will probably bring up a lack of fit existing players along with need to sign ones who are mobile and athletic.

Last edited: