Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Irwin99

I wonder if the next manager will be afforded the time to rebuild and if fans would accept a year or two of being out of the top 4 again if we could see demonstrable progress. I think that was pretty much the argument made for EtH two years ago and especially when we had those two opening defeats of last season. Tuchel seems a bit of an odd choice if we're going for a revolution not evolution model though.

Looking at the squad and it's just a mess in my opinion- It can just about get you a top 4 finish if everything goes well but a future title challenge seems so far away. The players brought in by Ole, EtH, the club etc. have done so little to improve things.

Edit- Quoted the wrong tweet :lol: . Meant to quote the one about most of our squad being available for good offers.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Seems like a very heavily briefed article, right up to Mason's £45m price tag.

Hope it is Ineos briefing about us having nothing to spend, whether or not its true. This notion of every summer being 3x £50-90m signings has to stop.
Well they pretty much say who their sources are, and it's not INEOS.

flameinthesun

It’s a pretty big risk because the most likely outcome is he gets sacked early next season and then it’s is an even tougher search looking for a replacement or having to bring in an interim.

There will be very little patience or leeway for him next season and it is a much riskier option than bringing in someone who starts with more time and patience. A lot of people who are saying give him one more year would turn on him very quickly if we start next season badly and INEOS would look pretty stupid if they ended up sacking him in October/November instead of this summer.
Which is a fair point.

hobbers

Well they pretty much say who their sources are, and it's not INEOS.
Agents and recruitment chiefs wont be phoning up Ducker to talk about United's transfer strategy. It obviously comes from the club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Agents and recruitment chiefs wont be phoning up Ducker to talk about United's transfer strategy. It obviously comes from the club.
They don't need to. Ducker will have a feel of what agents are hearing about the club he covers, and write an article accordingly.

gajender

It's definitely coming from United , fully expect likes of Whitwell , Stones to Chime in soon .

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's definitely coming from United , fully expect likes of Whitwell , Stones to Chime in soon .
Don't think it's coming from United. If the named journalists say the same then sure.

Theres nothing to gain to leak that all your players are up for sale. I think as described in the article, he's got this sentiment from agents that are hearing about availability of United players.

Blood Mage

Perfect timing for him to leave then if Ajax are looking for a new coach. Mutually beneficial for all parties.

gajender

Don't think it's coming from United. If the named journalists say the same then sure.

Theres nothing to gain to leak that all your players are up for sale. I think as described in the article, he's got this sentiment from agents that are hearing about availability of United players.
Ducker especially name checked Rashford to make the point , that can't be based on sentiment from agents .

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Is he? I mean, the injuries are worrying and he's a-bit overrated on here.
Given the state of our defence and what we'd be able to bring in in the summer, then I think he probably is. Re-evaluate next year.

Robbie Boy

Given the state of our defence and what we'd be able to bring in in the summer, then I think he probably is. Re-evaluate next year.
Yeah I agree with this. He definitely wouldn't be someone I would actively want to get rid of.

But, it'll be interesting to see: A) If someone like Tuchel would fancy him (if we go that route), B) How he'll look after a fairly long time on the sidelines.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Our XG from Jan onwards is 1.97 per game. So we’re averaging an expectation of 2 per game essentially.

By all available metrics we’ve improved in attack in that period of time.
How's our defence doing in that same period? Feels like it must be at least in a similar ballpark.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ducker especially name checked Rashford to make the point , that can't be based on sentiment from agents .
Why not? Agents will know the sentiment of clubs toward certain assets.

Anyway, I strongly doubt Ineos brought drucker in to leak that all their players are for sale.

idek2346

Why not? Agents will know the sentiment of clubs toward certain assets.

Anyway, I strongly doubt Ineos brought drucker in to leak that all their players are for sale.
ducker and matt lawton times have been covering INEOS and SJR since 2018/19. He's very much ITK.

doomy20

I mean, the "entertaining" part could also be true if we're comically bad. But he also said "we are creating loads of chances by playing good football". He has gone into self preservation mode. I don't believe for a second he has been given any assurances.
Yes, self preservation/excuses. That’s the part I lose bond to a coach. Supported him all throughout the season but the interviews he produces lately are just mocking at it’s best

DSG

No he wouldn't. He's done as a coach in club football at the top level. Should never have been hired in the first place. Going back a second time would be so much worse than keeping ETH on for another 2 years.
Never been hired…? A bit strong. He was arguably the most successful of the post SAF managers. In hindsight, who was available that we should have hired?

DSG

Seems like a very heavily briefed article, right up to Mason's £45m price tag.

Hope it is Ineos briefing about us having nothing to spend, whether or not its true. This notion of every summer being 3x £50-90m signings has to stop.
There is potentially some FFP ramifications if we do another big summer. I had a post earlier about our position in the league means we have 100m less to spend because we won’t generate as much revenue.

DSG

It’s a pretty big risk because the most likely outcome is he gets sacked early next season and then it’s is an even tougher search looking for a replacement or having to bring in an interim.

There will be very little patience or leeway for him next season and it is a much riskier option than bringing in someone who starts with more time and patience. A lot of people who are saying give him one more year would turn on him very quickly if we start next season badly and INEOS would look pretty stupid if they ended up sacking him in October/November instead of this summer.
It is a big risk. 100m if he can’t reach top 4 and ostensibly there would be signings that may not work with another manager. The professionals installed give me more confidence that we will make the right choice.

Oranges038

Never been hired…? A bit strong. He was arguably the most successful of the post SAF managers. In hindsight, who was available that we should have hired?
He was always a disaster waiting to happen.

And that most successful thing gets thrown out way too much, he won a league cup and Europa league + a second place finish. That's not really than much more successful than an FA Cup or a league cup plus a couple of second and third place finishes. The football was awful shite and overall he was just a horrible appointment who spat his dummy out when he didn't get a player or two and went into sack me mode for 6 months.

I don't really remember who else was available at the time, but same as with players the Utd model was to pick the most obvious and expensive candidate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There is potentially some FFP ramifications if we do another big summer. I had a post earlier about our position in the league means we have 100m less to spend because we won’t generate as much revenue.
How does that compare with this?

spwd

So in his post match vs Burnley he literally said we are one of the most dynamic and entertaining teams in the league right now. He literally said it. After being on +1 GD in May, with the most number of defeats in years. At this point he must be taking the p*ss or it’s just delusion
Don't forget what he said about Mctominay too :nono:

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I wonder if the next manager will be afforded the time to rebuild and if fans would accept a year or two of being out of the top 4 again if we could see demonstrable progress. I think that was pretty much the argument made for EtH two years ago and especially when we had those two opening defeats of last season. Tuchel seems a bit of an odd choice if we're going for a revolution not evolution model though.

Looking at the squad and it's just a mess in my opinion- It can just about get you a top 4 finish if everything goes well but a future title challenge seems so far away. The players brought in by Ole, EtH, the club etc. have done so little to improve things.

Edit- Quoted the wrong tweet :lol: . Meant to quote the one about most of our squad being available for good offers.
People can say this all they want, it will never happen. It would literally only ever happen for someone like Guardiola, who we can't get. Anyone else will be being called a fraud by the fans if they finished outside top 4 for two seasons. And as ETH has shown (and he should go, I'm not saying he shouldn't) one season in is worth nothing if you plummet the next season, there is no credit in the bank here and there shouldn't be really.

Paul778

Basically ETH is hoping to be sacked and take the Ajax job the next day.

Ajax will not officially approach a manager under contract.

Can you imagine if we want them to leave and they wanted to go but Ajax won't pay them to the same level....

and we had to do a Sancho with them and subsidise their wages at Ajax? :