Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 483 50.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 49.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It’s not quite as the poster suggested, basically he was asked about if Overmars could return to Ajax and he said “if X presenter can return to tv then I don’t see why he can’t” which, isn’t a great look. There’s also quite a lot of confusion about what the presenter said about/did in this incident 50 years ago which is a layer of confusion, especially given there will be a record of Overmars has done.

It comes across to me more as an attack on the presenter facing no real backlash but I very much am lacking in much knowledge of the situation or context and can definitely see how it could be outright pushing for Overmars.
Yeah we probably should tell him to ignore all questions involving those stuff , it would just undermine him in the media.

You really don't wanna give your manager pr training but maybe we should? He seems to be very honest and I'll assume from his rural background a bit more traditional perhaps, isn't really a good combination for the British media.

::sonny::

We have to try to support him whatever it happens because is almost an impossible jobs, “an open heart surgery” (cit.)

He is going to be the first one to be attacked by the media with even fake news

TsuWave

Are you for real?
Yes

Because he's our manager and we are not in vacations.
and? If that isn't/wasn't the date he'd agreed to join up and he had holidays lined up - then go and enjoy your holidays. Coming to Manchester early = "professionalism" is some "pashun" merchant shit that I do not care about.

He is still going on holiday as planned. He's just quitting Ajax early, not joining their post season trip, to start immediately here. He'll go on holiday sometime in the next few weeks.
Cool, this sounds a lot better.

There are managers in football who are completely obsessed with football. They literally don’t care about anything other than football. I’m talking about Pep and Klopp here. There’s a reason they are monsters in the game. I’m hoping Hag is like this too.

Yes not everyone is like this. But there’s a reason not everyone aren’t freaks of the game like Pep and Klopp too.
Fanfiction. That's how you perceive them. Pep enjoys holidays regularly, so does Klopp, and you don't need to be "obsessed" with football to be good at it - manager or otherwise.

Not everyone is wired the same way. Can’t really enjoy your break if you have a lot of things nagging your mind in the background. Maybe he feels like he doesn‘t need a break, or that he wants to get some initial groundwork done before going off on a holiday so that things already progressing while he’s away.

Either way, this is very promising for us fans. Shows he really wants to succeed and is willing to take that extra bit of responsibility to make sure of that.
Resting and recuperating is important. @Bloedrood already brought to my attention that he'll end up going on holiday anyway, so that's good. Allegedly coming to Manchester early or not really has no bearing on if I think he "really wants to succeed"

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There are managers in football who are completely obsessed with football. They literally don’t care about anything other than football. I’m talking about Pep and Klopp here. There’s a reason they are monsters in the game. I’m hoping Hag is like this too.

Yes not everyone is like this. But there’s a reason not everyone aren’t freaks of the game like Pep and Klopp too.
I'm hoping that he's a dedicated football guy as well, but the guy has a family so some time off together is well deserved. It's also worth considering that they're all going to uproot their entire lives to come and live in England as well, so he better take his kids to the real Disneyland or Murtough should just sack him right now.

HookedOnAPhelan

Didn't Overmars just send some inappropriate messages and a picture of his dick? Not saying it's acceptable, it obviously isn't and he had to go, but I don't think it's so serious that he should never be able to recover from it professionally (though possibly if the contents of the messages were really bad, I haven't seen them)

MattofManchester

His bluntness in interviews and conferences is quite a delight to watch. What you see is what you get: He doesn't care either way.

L1nk

Seems an odd thing to say given why he was sacked.

What he did was obviously inexcusable and not appropriate - so he had to be rightly sacked - but not such serious offences that he should never be able to go back to Ajax or work again after some time to reflect and become a better person surely? It also doesn't change the fact that Overmars played a big part in building the title winning teams, without him would they have? Who knows

Tarrou

Mctominay and Maguire should be nowhere near, particularly Mctominay who constantly plays hide and seek during games, Burnley level player.
is there one clip of McT hiding in a game I can look at? Would like to understand what people mean by this

I think hes just shite at positioning

L1nk

is there one clip of McT hiding in a game I can look at? Would like to understand what people mean by this

I think hes just shite at positioning

He does this a lot during games, he will hide behind opposition players when we are looking to play out from the back which gives us 1 less passing option for the midfield

Smithy89

He does this a lot during games, he will hide behind opposition players when we are looking to play out from the back which gives us 1 less passing option for the midfield
Literally hiding from the ball, how people who claim to be football fans can't see or understand this, shocking player.

Greck

:lol: Wow I once thought people were being dramatic. Actually looks like that old timey charlie chaplain boxing skit where he's hiding behind the referee.

jeepers

Maybe he was told to shadow de Bruyne

But seriously what the actual feck is that.

Tarrou

surely there is a better example than this? He has two players close to him one already moving towards him, if he has receives the ball there he has a good chance of being closed down and losing possession

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe he was told to shadow de Bruyne

But seriously what the actual feck is that.
Shadow him from behind while we are in possession? :lol: no that would make zero sense at all.

How would they have his number?

DVB without doubt would but would he give it out?
agents? the club? i'm sure it's not hard in a close knit football circle.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
surely there is a better example than this? He has two players close to him one already moving towards him, if he has receives the ball there he has a good chance of being closed down and losing possession
I count multiple passes that can go into him/the space around him so he can turn during that sequence.

Remember the geese

So you think his lack of movement there is perfectly acceptable? Do you think that Roy Keane would be jogging about thinking...don't pass to me lads, I'm in a tight spot? He should be demanding the ball. The best players should accept the ball in any situation. This is what we should expect from our midfield players.

Tarrou

So you think his lack of movement there is perfectly acceptable? Do you think that Roy Keane would be jogging about thinking...don't pass to me lads, I'm in a tight spot? He should be demanding the ball. The best players should accept the ball in any situation. This is what we should expect from our midfield players.
no I just think what I said, surely there is a better example

that situation it’s pretty borderline about whether he should ask for the ball or not

Revaulx

You would think he would have known what he is getting into.
Poor old Moyesey walked into United having taken a long holiday, believing (not unreasonably) that all was well behind the scenes and his job would be a straightforward one, even though expectations would be a lot higher than at Everton. What he discovered was that the club's scouiting etc. was a shambles.

Ten Hag could not have been better prepared for what he's about to have to deal with. There might be some tribes in remote parts of the Amazon rainforest that are unaware of United's sorry state under Ed Woodward, but ten Hag isn't part of them. He will be assisted by Arnold, who genuinely seems to want real change, Murtough, who finally appears capable of delivering it, and Ralf, who doesn't pull his punches however much that enrages some on here.

So yeah, I think it's safe to say he's very much aware of what he's getting into.

Greck

Did you notice Fred around the 10 second mark dropping back as if to say enough is enough? That's the space Mctominay could have occupied rather than putting even more distance between himself and the ball. Well noted the press was intense but at a point his movement was far from ideal and he needed to come shorter or drift wider. I actually also thought these were exaggerations but even if he wasn't hiding it doesn't make him look better that his movement amounted to the same thing.

Trex

He does this in every single game, he's just not good enough to receive the ball under pressure and he knows it, good thing with ETH the structure in possession will be very defined so there wouldn't be any hiding place.

LoneStar

Yes

and? If that isn't/wasn't the date he'd agreed to join up and he had holidays lined up - then go and enjoy your holidays. Coming to Manchester early = "professionalism" is some "pashun" merchant shit that I do not care about.

Cool, this sounds a lot better.

Fanfiction. That's how you perceive them. Pep enjoys holidays regularly, so does Klopp, and you don't need to be "obsessed" with football to be good at it - manager or otherwise.

Resting and recuperating is important. @Bloedrood already brought to my attention that he'll end up going on holiday anyway, so that's good. Allegedly coming to Manchester early or not really has no bearing on if I think he "really wants to succeed"
So going the extra mile and coming in early has no bearing on wanting to succeed? Sure. Just because the inverse is not true doesn‘t make this untrue. If someone shows up ahead of time, are proactive and are doing something extra, I’ll take it as a sign that they want to succeed more.

Its simple facts that the more time you spend on something, the higher the probability of success. Especially during the crucial initial phases.

Hoof the ball

He does this in every single game, he's just not good enough to receive the ball under pressure and he knows it, good thing with ETH the structure in possession will be very defined so there wouldn't be any hiding place.
Him and Fred both do it. There's copious amounts of videos on Youtube just demonstrating numerous scenarios where they're constantly in the shadow of the opposition player.

Trex

Him and Fred both do it. There's copious amounts of videos on Youtube just demonstrating numerous scenarios where they're constantly in the shadow of the opposition player.
Our center back get a lot of criticism on the ball but they always look better with Matic on, especially last season ..it's very vital we get a midfielder comfortable receiving the ball from the back line, atleast Fred is decent receiving in more advanced areas

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

is this the best example?
Where are the other 6-7 players? McT has 2 players who is watching his steps, AWB is open on the right, noone to be seen on the left, only Fred drops down to help.
McT can run like a crazy and he still wouldn't be open for a pass with those 2 between him and the ball.
If Fred stays, the left back, whoever played that match, come in, we'd outnumber them.
You guys expect McT to do this alone?

jeepers

Shadow him from behind while we are in possession? :lol: no that would make zero sense at all.
Apologies, that was a poor attempt to poke fun at McT’s lack of intelligence, because he’s got to be quite daft to think he’s playing fine doing that.

TsuWave

So going the extra mile and coming in early has no bearing on wanting to succeed? Sure. Just because the inverse is not true doesn‘t make this untrue. If someone shows up ahead of time, are proactive and are doing something extra, I’ll take it as a sign that they want to succeed more.

Its simple facts that the more time you spend on something, the higher the probability of success. Especially during the crucial initial phases.
I mean I did phrase it from my PoV, so I don't know what you're trying to argue here?

The same way you think coming in early is a sign he wants to "succeed more", whatever that even means, one could argue not ensuring you're properly rested and charged is neglectful and counterproductive to an undertaking of this magnitude.

I'm just not moved by these gestures. It is what it is.