Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 646 44.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 799 55.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

justboy68

Good quotes those. I believe him too, he'll be obsessing all summer over his plans for next season. He can be a success for sure with good recruitment. All about providing him with the right players in the summer.

Rusholme Ruffian

I wouldn't be against making Kovar the backup keeper and let him play all of the cup game like Liverpool and City do.
If Ten Hag wanted to do that that would be fine with me, I also wouldn't be too worried with De Gea as a backup keeper though even though he isn't great at playing out from the back. Unless you are really unlucky with an injury backup keepers tend to barely play. I definitely wouldn't keep him unless his wages are absolutely slashed though.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Fair, but it's a half chance at best. I'd say on par with Garnacho's shot later?

And I agree about the cross claiming, but it's not a sign of City dominating or anything.
No domination but if City had needed to up it a gear or 2 I felt they could easily have done that

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Neither did City. It’s not like they hammered us, they just kept the ball better. De Gea didn’t make a save that I can remember r
KDB chance. De Gea saved with his legs. Foden & Bernardo had balls fizzled through the penalty waiting for a tap-ins. But crucially they scored 2 goals non penalties. They had 5 shots on target. Plus we had 40% possession. They had 60%. Same as against Newcastle in carabao cup final. (we had 39% in that game).

Fair enough they didn't create many chances as they do this is majorly because of us flooding the midfield but we had no goals in us, or even chances. Remove the penalty which came when city were smelling blood, we wouldn't have scored anything in this game.

frostbite

I did not say that EtH is the better manager, I said that Pep is not better. I think EtH is in the same bracket.
Do you think that ETH is in the same bracket with SAF? Because Pep is certainly in the same bracket with SAF.

We certainly have a lot of hope for ETH, but right now it is just this: hope. He hasn't achieved anything remarkable yet.

Abraxas

Great statements from Ten Hag. This is where managers like Jose and Conte have to learn something about how to keep a good relationship with a club where the situation is complicated.

Part of the job as manager is being a diplomat. Controlling the narrative around you and the club. Because the media always want to try and drive a wedge between the manager and the club because it's great material. What good are you to the club and fans if you blow up and let your ego run away with you?

I doubt he's satisfied with the takeover situation and the impact that may be having, but what he says is right to control the situation. Praise a decent season to pick up the players, be objective that certain aspects are far from good enough because the fans don't want to hear that everything is great when it blatantly isn't, but don't make inflammatory observations that annoy your employers to no particular gain.

Seveneric

Your are missing the point again. You backed Ole over the signing of Dan James for £15 million 4 years ago, so maybe even £20 million in today's terms. And yet you are not prepared to give the current manager backing over signing Chelsea's 2 x player of the year and England international because YOU think he's shit. Why the double standards?
I think the poster was saying James at £20m was understandable, Mount at the rumoured £70m is not. I don’t think it’s hard to understand. If Mount ends up costing less, it’s a different story.

Rusholme Ruffian

KDB chance. De Gea saved with his legs. Foden & Bernardo had balls fizzled through the penalty waiting for a tap-ins. But crucially they scored 2 goals non penalties. They had 5 shots on target. Plus we had 40% possession. They had 60%. Same as against Newcastle in carabao cup final. (we had 39% in that game).

Fair enough they didn't create many chances as they do this is majorly because of us flooding the midfield but we had no goals in us, or even chances. Remove the penalty which came when city were smelling blood, we wouldn't have scored anything in this game.
Xg would beg to differ

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
No domination but if City had needed to up it a gear or 2 I felt they could easily have done that
I'm always a bit funny about a statement like that in a final. Especially against a team that has shown they can humiliate us. What's their motivation for not humiliating us today?

El Jefe

Did as well as he could really. He set us up really well but the gap in quality was just too much.

I really hope we can identify the right players to seriously improve this squad or else this is as good as it gets really. He's a good manager but no magician.

Also keep him away from bringing anymore Dutch League products.

casmucm

Got it spot on today City are a far superior team but we were in the game. De Gea should have saved both goals and given city’s long shots looks like Pep saw him as the weakness.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'm always a bit funny about a statement like that in a final. Especially against a team that has shown they can humiliate us. What's their motivation for not humiliating us today?
CL - that would have gotten our team's backs up and there would probably been a few tasty challenges that would cause an injury or 3

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
CL - that would have gotten our team's backs up and there would probably been a few tasty challenges that would cause an injury or 3
Nah. Did we do that when we lost 6-3? Or 6-1? Or 7-0?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
But it is on him if he gives De Gea a new first team contract renewal. It should at most be a backup role contract.
Allowing Dave to leave on a free is stupid if we are not guaranteed to bring someone in. Even if we do, there is no harm. Listen to Ten Hag, he knows there are issues but you guys have to be patient.

Tony247

But still not a better season than Mouriho best season, LVG best season and some may even argue Ole best season. However, this is his first, hopefully next season he does better.
Jose won trophies but overall gameplay was not exciting. Towards the end he had to criticise his players that they were not giving enough to finish second, it was that bad.

ETH has brought flair and consistency in the way team performs. This season is much better in terms of progress. Excited to see what's lined up next.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Allowing Dave to leave on a free is stupid if we are not guaranteed to bring someone in. Even if we do, there is no harm. Listen to Ten Hag, he knows there are issues but you guys have to be patient.
Who would buy DDG on an interesting transfer fee for us ? All the best teams have better keepers. Whoever will sign him won't wanna be fleeced by us for a keeper who's way past his sell by date. The opportunity to get him the feck out is now

Anustart89

Doesn't help himself. Starting Eriksen, insisting on Weghorst.

I hope he's better next season
I’m going to take a guess and say that if he’d started Weghorst so Rashford and Bruno could play in their preferred positions you’d have been in this thread moaning about that as well.

It’a been quite well established that Garnacho’s better as an impact sub. And if not for a shot going a few inches wide it might have paid off today too against a team that is about 10 years into a project as opposed to EtH’s squad that’s a mish-mash of players amassed during multiple different managerial reigns with basically one transfer window under owners that have actively been seeking a way out of the club for the past year and unwilling to spend a penny more than absolutely necessary.

In short, your post is a moron.

marktan

I don't have any confidence in him in big games. Ole knew how to set us up better for those.

He is a better manager in that I'd expect him to beat the other 16 or so teams in the league, but he has no plans for teams that are better than us.

TsuWave

I’m going to take a guess and say that if he’d started Weghorst so Rashford and Bruno could play in their preferred positions you’d have been in this thread moaning about that as well.

It’a been quite well established that Garnacho’s better as an impact sub. And if not for a shot going a few inches wide it might have paid off today too against a team that is about 10 years into a project as opposed to EtH’s squad that’s a mish-mash of players amassed during multiple different managerial reigns with basically one transfer window under owners that have actively been seeking a way out of the club for the past year and unwilling to spend a penny more than absolutely necessary.

In short, your post is a moron.
I don't even know what you're trying to say/do here with this post :confused:

You read me criticising Eriksen starting, and his insistence with Weghorst and your retort is "I'm going to guess if he had start Weghorst you would have", I mean, you just read me criticising his insistence on playing Weghorst.

Then your next sentence is "it's been quite well established Garnacho's better as an impact sub" - what does that even mean? Is Garnacho going to be an impact sub forever? Aren't we supposed to be developing him as a starter? Shouldn't starting be based on merit? Hasn't also been established that Weghorst is poor/playing him seldom leads to anything, and that Eriksen - though technically sound - leaves us light in midfield because he doesn't have the legs/engine needed? Yet...

Managers rarely go into situations in which they inherit a perfect squad. It's a managers job to, well, manage. My criticisms of him are based in my belief that he could have helped himself a bit more by making different choices with the squad available to him, and that I hope he makes what I consider to be better decisions next season.

You guys act really weird whenever anyone dares to suggest Ten Hag can/could/should do better. Ultimately, I said this of him:

I'm backing him, it was a positive season - but I hope he's better next season
So again, I don't even know what you're trying to say or do with your post

JustinC00

I don't have any confidence in him in big games. Ole knew how to set us up better for those.

He is a better manager in that I'd expect him to beat the other 16 or so teams in the league, but he has no plans for teams that are better than us.

WUM post. We beat every team "better" than us at Old Trafford this season ETH turned Old Trafford back into a fortress in 1 season OGS was a woeful manager at Old Trafford. He literally had a plan today that would have worked for the 2nd time against Pep & Citeh but DDG blundered it.

Talks about big games meanwhile ETH got a trophy his 1st season. How many did OGS have here?

Anustart89

I don't even know what you're trying to say/do here with this post :confused:

You read me criticising Eriksen starting, and his insistence with Weghorst and your retort is "I'm going to guess if he had start Weghorst you would have", I mean, you just read me criticising his insistence on playing Weghorst.

Then your next sentence is "it's been quite well established Garnacho's better as an impact sub" - what does that even mean? Is Garnacho going to be an impact sub forever? Aren't we supposed to be developing him as a starter? Shouldn't starting be based on merit? Hasn't also been established that Weghorst is poor/playing him seldom leads to anything, and that Eriksen - though technically sound - leaves us light in midfield because he doesn't have the legs/engine needed? Yet...

Managers rarely go into situations in which they inherit a perfect squad. It's a managers job to, well, manage. My criticisms of him are based in my belief that he could have helped himself a bit more by making different choices with the squad available to him, and that I hope he makes what I consider to be better decisions next season.

You guys act really weird whenever anyone dares to suggest Ten Hag can/could/should do better. Ultimately, I said this of him:

So again, I don't even know what you're trying to say or do with your post
My point is that he's got a shit squad and regardless of who he played or didn't play out of those available, a bunch of posters like you would be in here moaning for the sake of moaning. Which is incredibly annoying considering the circumstances under which the manager needs to operate. There is no perfect permutation for you lot because you'll always be right with the benefit of hindsight, while never offering your opinion on what should actually have been done to get the right outcome, only criticising what was done regardless of what it was.

How is the Weghorst thing an insistence when he's literally the only fit striker in the squad and he's brought on with 30 minutes to go in a game we're losing? I mean, even with Martial's minutes being managed (by rotating him with the only other striker in the squad), the permacrock managed to pull his hammy right before the cup final.

So instead of just moaning for moaning's sake, can I ask you what you would have done today with the available squad that would have sorted all the problems and made us win the game? Would starting Garnacho have solved everything and made us win the game? What else? My point is that if Garnacho had started and Kyle Walker had eaten him up (like Ayling did against Leeds), you would've been in here criticising EtH like captain hindsight and said "Oh my god Garnacho's much better as an impact sub Sancho should've started with Garnacho coming on from the bench!!". Not to mention that bringing Garnacho on saw him have a very impactful sub appearance against a City team that had dropped deeper at that point, and the thing was just a few inches away from playing out really well.

Conor

Our squad is terrible compared to city, I think he did the best with what he has available to him.

pascell

Correct. I will back any manager who thinks they can get a tune out of a £20m player and I will ask questions about a manager who says he needs a £70m backup option to get a tune out of a squad option.
We're not signing Mount to be a backup and especially not at £70m, he'll be replacing Eriksen.

TsuWave

My point is that he's got a shit squad and regardless of who he played or didn't play out of those available, a bunch of posters like you would be in here moaning for the sake of moaning. Which is incredibly annoying considering the circumstances under which the manager needs to operate. There is no perfect permutation for you lot because you'll always be right with the benefit of hindsight, while never offering your opinion on what should actually have been done to get the right outcome, only criticising what was done regardless of what it was.
I'm not moaning for the sake of moaning - the two things I've complained about, I have complained about for some time; Eriksen and Weghorst. These vague "a bunch of posters", "posters like you", "you lot" ad-hominem don't register - and quite honestly come off as unhinged.

Again, managers rarely have a perfect squad to operate with. As to what would have prevented me from posting about Eriksen and Weghorst; not starting Eriksen, not playing Weghorst.

And it isn't a being right with the benefit of hindsight thing;

Starting Eriksen against these lot in the FA cup final will be insane
^May 17th 2023.

How is the Weghorst thing an insistence when he's literally the only fit striker in the squad and he's brought on with 30 minutes to go in a game we're losing?
This is from someone that posted "It’s been quite well established that Garnacho’s better as an impact sub" a post ago. It's been quite well established that playing Weghorst leads to nothing. It is an insistence because it has been attempted multiple times without bearing any real fruit.

So instead of just moaning for moaning's sake, can I ask you what you would have done today with the available squad that would have sorted all the problems and made us win the game? Would starting Garnacho have solved everything and made us win the game? What else?
I don't know what would have sorted all the problems and would have made us win the game. I'm not the manager nor am I remunerated with millions of pounds as salary to have these answers. I do know what would have prevented me from criticising starting Eriksen and playing Weghorst. Again; not starting Eriksen, not playing Weghorst.

Personally, I would have populated the midfield with legs; potentially keeping Bruno centrally or even starting Mctominay before starting Eriksen. I would have also kept Sancho on the right since he had back to back good games on the right, and I most likely would have started Garnacho on the left. Pellistri would have had the nod to go on for one of the wide guys and I would have pushed Bruno further up and put Eriksen on as a sub before Weghorst was ever a consideration. Would this win us the game? I guess we'll never know - but I wouldn't be in this thread criticising Eriksen starting or putting Weghorst on.

My point is that if Garnacho had started and Kyle Walker had eaten him up (like Ayling did against Leeds), you would've been in here criticising EtH like captain hindsight and said "Oh my god Garnacho's much better as an impact sub Sancho should've started with Garnacho coming on from the bench!!".
So you do admit you don't have a point, and you're conjuring up scenarios that make you angry so you can quote/reply in a hostile manner? So like I said, I don't know what you're trying to say/do with your posts - besides writing fanfiction of what I would have done if xyz and getting angry about it. Odd.

Blood Mage

I've seen enough to feel confident that he deserves backing. I was expecting the football to be slightly better, and it was for brief periods this season, but better players are needed I guess before we can start to resemble his 18/19 Ajax side.

MonkeysMagic

The players ETH has brought in have significantly improved the first 11 (I do not count Sabitzer/Wout as Glazers shafted him there with no money!) but he really needs another 5/6 players (a couple of good bench options) to take this team to a level to compete with City.

We simply cannot play the pressing, possession based games with the current team, its not going to happen and will lead to BHA/Brentford like results when he tried at the beginning of the season. I would've been hopeful had the Glazers sold up but these leeches are doing us horrendous damage.

Its all gone Shane Long

People back moaning again if there agenda of ETH with the mindset of “yes we should be competing, we should be champions etc eyc” the man has literally picked up the scraps of the sh*tshow left behind by Ole and Jose and turned the them into something resembling a team with a bit of spirit and fight. A few more players and I know deep down we will be fighting for the bigger prizes next season.

cyberman

Correct. I will back any manager who thinks they can get a tune out of a £20m player and I will ask questions about a manager who says he needs a £70m backup option to get a tune out of a squad option.
Nobody has said we are spending 70m on him and nobody is saying he will be a backup.

el3mel

Garnacho isn't ready yet to start and play a full match from start especially against Man City. Bringing him for the last 20-30 minutes was the right choice. Starting him would have just wasted him and costed us a valuable option from the bench, probably our only one too.

The only other realistic option we he had instead of playing Eriksen was to start Weghorst up front with Sancho and Rashford as wing forwards but I doubt that would have yielded any significant difference. Antony and Martial injuries kinda fecked up our options.

The only thing I blame him for today is the Scott sub. That was pointless and hurt us more than it helped. Otherwise, selection and other subs were what we could have done with the selection of players available.

Ultimately we're a far inferior team than City and the early goal didn't help. It all depends on what we're going to do in summer when it comes next season.

Ten Hag has fecked up many other critical games this season and I haven't spared the efforts criticizing him for these games but today is a different case.

Fts 74

Trust our manager is all I'd say the simple truth Is he has us fans believing again.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Garnacho isn't ready yet to start and play a full match from start especially against Man City. Bringing him for the last 20-30 minutes was the right choice. Starting him would have just wasted him and costed us a valuable option from the bench, probably our only one too.

The only other realistic option we he had instead of playing Eriksen was to start Weghorst up front with Sancho and Rashford as wing forwards but I doubt that would have yielded any significant difference. Antony and Martial injuries kinda fecked up our options.

The only thing I blame him for today is the Scott sub. That was pointless and hurt us more than it helped. Otherwise, selection and other subs were what we could have done with the selection of players available.

Ultimately we're a far inferior team than City and the early goal didn't help. It all depends on what we're going to do in summer when it comes next season.

Ten Hag has fecked up many other critical games this season and I haven't spared the efforts criticizing him for these games but today is a different case.
That's a fair assessment. I believe he planned the game in his head in the best possible way, given our injuries. He basically wanted a reiteration of the game at OT. The difference was that, in that PL match, we equalized (again, against the run of play) late in the game when Garnacho had already been brought on. With his enthusiasm and tenacity, he delivered the killer punch by creating the second goal right when City looked befuddled. It was similar today, but we failed to gain any momentum when City seemed to be angry at the ref and lethargic on the pitch. But you can't blame ETH for keeping one good option to come from the bench.