Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 646 44.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 805 55.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I'm all for shitting on the owners but the line that we won't sanction any spending until the takeover is complete doesn't tally up with the Mount bid at all.
Yup. Also, despite being a known fact that United are neither quick nor smart in the market, you can't put all the blame on the people who are negotiating the deals if the manager is adamant about his transfer targets. "Him and no one else" or "him because i have worked with him before" doesn't really leave much room to manoeuvre, does it? A year ago, we massively overpaid for a winger, when we realized that the options available wouldn't be enough, and we spent the entire summer chasing a specific player only to change direction in the last minute and began knocking on all doors until Real Madrid said "You can have Casemiro, if you have the cash". I don't know what people are expecting. We're not a selling club, never have been, and the Havertz deal is pretty much indicative that Chelsea aren't going to accept any price to trim their bloated squad.

FrantikChicken

Yup. Also, despite being a known fact that United are neither quick nor smart in the market, you can't put all the blame on the people who are negotiating the deals if the manager is adamant about his transfer targets. "Him and no one else" or "him because i have worked with him before" doesn't really leave much room to manoeuvre, does it? A year ago, we massively overpaid for a winger, when we realized that the options available wouldn't be enough, and we spent the entire summer chasing a specific player only to change direction in the last minute and began knocking on all doors until Real Madrid said "You can have Casemiro, if you have the cash". I don't know what people are expecting. We're not a selling club, never have been, and the Havertz deal is pretty much indicative that Chelsea aren't going to accept any price to trim their bloated squad.
This is a whole load of speculation based on 0 knowledge or facts.

the Casemiro deal was in the works for months before any of us found out about it. Fred has mentioned it and I’m pretty sure Casemiro himself has as well.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

This is a whole load of speculation based on 0 knowledge or facts.

the Casemiro deal was in the works for months before any of us found out about it. Fred has mentioned it and I’m pretty sure Casemiro himself has as well.
It wasn't in the works. The Athletic wrote that we had made inquiries and Real Madrid had told us that they were open to offers, but we still waited until the very end for De Jong. Which is fine, if De Jong was the manager's preferred choice. But you can't blame either Judge or Murtough for dithering. When they got the nod from the nanager, they wrapped up the deal quick enough.

FrantikChicken

It wasn't in the works. The Athletic wrote that we had made inquiries and Real Madrid had told us that they were open to offers, but we still waited until the very end for De Jong. Which is fine, if De Jong was the manager's preferred choice. But you can't blame either Judge or Murtough for dithering. When they got the nod from the nanager, they wrapped up the deal quick enough.
Ah so Casemiro was telling Fred he’d be moving months before even though we’d never sent a concrete offer?

"Man, at first, yes. I found out well before they announced it. A few months before, we had already talked, me and him,"

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Ah so Casemiro was telling Fred he’d be moving months before even though we’d never sent a concrete offer?

"Man, at first, yes. I found out well before they announced it. A few months before, we had already talked, me and him,"
As i said, we had made inquiries and Real Madrid were willing to sell. They had probably informed the player himself of their intentions, which is why he spoke with Fred on the phone. It doesn't mean it was a done deal. If everyone involved had worked everything out months ago, why did we wait until after the first game of the season to finalize the deal? It wouldn't surprise me if ETH had been talking to De Jong every day of last summer. The difference with Casemiro was that FdJ didn't want to come here. Which, eventually, allowed the Casemiro deal to go through.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can’t imagine he’s happy 1 bit with how this window is shaping up and the ownership situation.

Levi1

Can’t imagine he’s happy 1 bit with how this window is shaping up and the ownership situation.
Has nothing to do with ownership and everything to do with having a reputation for being soft in the transfer market and overpaying for players. Clubs taking advantage of us

Skills

Snitch
Has nothing to do with ownership and everything to do with having a reputation for being soft in the transfer market and overpaying for players. Clubs taking advantage of us
Signing Antony last summer only reinforced that reputation

DJ_21

Ye but I’m saying he won’t be happy with the ownership situation taking so long either. Not saying that has anything to do with us signing players. Although it probably does play some part.

binary bot
That’ll get them playing better footy.

Bloody privileged snowflakes etc.

Didn’t some other Utd manager do this relatively recently…? Ole maybe? I can’t imagine Moureen being bothered with it but I’m sure someone else did to plenty of the typical ‘good’, ‘that’ll learn ‘em’ etc comments.
Moyes made them watch Phil Jagielka defending

Ted Lasso

Didn’t some other Utd manager do this relatively recently…? Ole maybe? I can’t imagine Moureen being bothered with it but I’m sure someone else did to plenty of the typical ‘good’, ‘that’ll learn ‘em’ etc comments.
I don't think it's so much learning a lesson as it is that they'll be physically more prepared whether they enjoy it or not.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

Wasnt that Moyes? Didnt our players complain they ran so hard they had to cool down in cold streams?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don't think it's so much learning a lesson as it is that they'll be physically more prepared whether they enjoy it or not.
Didn’t they play like a game every
3 days last season and ran themselves into the ground?

I don’t really get this whole ‘punish them’, ‘bloody snowflakes’ stuff tbh.

I’d rather they just trained to play better footy and did their running at Carrington.

Ted Lasso

I’d rather they just trained to play better footy and did their running at Carrington.
Nobody is punishing them. Sounds like a nice and regimented preseason fitness boot camp to be able to better play ETHs style.

The hyperbole is coming from the media.
I remember even Lukaku got thru Contes "hell" fine at Inter .

It's all just classic media rage and reaction baiting

DJ_21

Don’t think it’s a punishment. Think it’s more to do with getting them fitter and in the right shape to play ETH style. For his pressing game you need to be fit. Also this will make them know that they’re working under a manager that only wants 100% from each player and the standards are set high.

Devil You Know

This isn't unusual. A lot of teams do this during preseason. In fact, some managers even have an exhausting training session in the morning followed by a full 90 minutes match in the evening. If you want to build a high pressing team, you have to put the foundations in place.

NLunited

Conte did it at Spurs last pre-season. Harry Kane was throwing up behind the goal.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If someone can be bothered, there's literally an article that comes out at around this time of year for each of our last few (permanent) managers. It was definitely a thing for OGS and it was complete bullshit.

And even if it were true, who cares? Will Maguire be PL standard fast at the end of it? No.

The only benefit of it can be if some of the dross don't like it and piss off, instead of leeching money off the club (Maguire, I mean you).

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If someone can be bothered, there's literally an article that comes out at around this time of year for each of our last few (permanent) managers. It was definitely a thing for OGS and it was complete bullshit.

And even if it were true, who cares? Will Maguire be PL standard fast at the end of it? No.

The only benefit of it can be if some of the dross don't like it and piss off, instead of leeching money off the club (Maguire, I mean you).
Ironically it’s the kind of thing I can imagine someone like Maguire getting really into.

Do City, Arse and Liverpool do these kind of things as well then? Not rhetorical, I don’t follow what they do so have no idea.

croadyman

Do you reckon Erik is still looking for that De Jong type who can progress from deep or has he now switched to a different setup

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Did Ten Hag always want Antony from Ajax at United or was he a emergency signing after not finding other RWs?

ScholesyTheWise

Did Ten Hag always want Antony from Ajax at United or was he a emergency signing after not finding other RWs?
I seem to remember we bid for him early on in the window (that is to say, you'd think ETH wanted him) and got rejected,
only to sign him for almost double the original offered fee in the closing stages of the window.

RedOrange

No one here has any way of knowing, but given the club's history of transfers over the last 10 or 15 seasons, if you were the manager, would you trust them to find a decent RW? Do you think they'd have found a better player for less money?

JediSith

Got a feeling based on the stories coming out, especially regarding the de Gea contract that ETH might be getting fed up or the board might be unhappy not having a yes man.

These are exactly the type of stories you start to hear at the beginning of the end for a manager who leaves due to falling out with the board. I hope I’m wrong. More accurately I think I’m right, but hope the clubs get sold soon and more competent people come in so ETH gets the support he deserves.

Melville Red

I'm all for shitting on the owners but the line that we won't sanction any spending until the takeover is complete doesn't tally up with the Mount bid at all.
Nearly a week on and Utd still haven’t signed him, is it tallying up yet?
Meanwhile De Gea signs a contract and then the club changes it’s mind, I‘ve never heard of this sort of cluster feck before, it’s fecking embarrassing.

Dazzmondo

No one here has any way of knowing, but given the club's history of transfers over the last 10 or 15 seasons, if you were the manager, would you trust them to find a decent RW? Do you think they'd have found a better player for less money?
Considering most of our signings have been players requested specifically by the manager while our scouts have been regularly ignored over the last 10-15 seasons, yes the scouts should be trusted more. ETH obviously was the one who pushed for Antony and he should be held accountable for it. He didn't consider how overspending would impact us in the following seasons and that's a lack of long term planning on his part.

Crimson King

Considering most of our signings have been players requested specifically by the manager while our scouts have been regularly ignored over the last 10-15 seasons, yes the scouts should be trusted more. ETH obviously was the one who pushed for Antony and he should be held accountable for it. He didn't consider how overspending would impact us in the following seasons and that's a lack of long term planning on his part.
The lack of long term planning was there long before he arrived. Without Antony we were looking at playing Elanga at RW for a majority of the season.

Dazzmondo

The lack of long term planning was there long before he arrived. Without Antony we were looking at playing Elanga at RW for a majority of the season.
That lack of long term planning was driven by going for big commercial names and players the managers themselves requested, then putting them on huge wages which makes it impossible to sell them on. Both the hierarchy and managers need to accept responsibility for this. There's been no willingness to invest in long term projects at reduced fees. FFP has unsurprisingly caught up and made signing the players we need extremely difficult. The striker position is one that needs big investment and we don't seem to be in a position where we can make that investment.

Crimson King

That lack of long term planning was driven by going for big commercial names and players the managers themselves requested, then putting them on huge wages which makes it impossible to sell them on. Both the hierarchy and managers need to accept responsibility for this. There's been no willingness to invest in long term projects at reduced fees. FFP has unsurprisingly caught up and made signing the players we need extremely difficult. The striker position is one that needs big investment and we don't seem to be in a position where we can make that investment.
Glazernomics, mate.

We need to spend massive amounts to ever catch up to City, but that isn't going to happen until we have new owners.

bosskeano

ffs...i'm sure EtH must be spitting nails right now in frustration given that he's outlined to the club the targets he wants yet we are almost at July 1st and everything is about the sale of the club but no real movement in the market other than prolonged negotiations with Mount and chelsea

RedOrange

Ten Hag insisted on Antony at that price because without him we would not have finished top 4 and he would have been sacked by now. If the decision had been out of his hands, the board would have either not sanctioned any transfer at all or our crack team of scouts, analysts and executives would have spent £60 million on yet another shite-tier LW/AM hybrid who can't play on the right and you'd still be blaming ETH for the transfer anyways.