Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 657 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 810 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Idxomer

They didn't but they showed signs they could compete with the best.

It's unreasonable to expect ETH to win the PL or CL in his two seasons but it's not unreasonable that we're competing, even it's via cup runs or patches in the league. Tuchel has done it at Chelsea and while other teams fell off last season, we did finish 2nd.

Regardless I think all Carragher is saying is that it shouldn't take 5 years to show significant signs of progress.
I agree. I actually want to see a significant change in style during his 1st season, especially if he gets 4-5 new signings.

Loon

:lol:
Klopp was drip fed the money up until the big sales came!

No reason we should do the same. We need to aim up to massively catch up instantly.

Liverpool are run brilliantly now but there way isn't the only way. If Klopp had access to the money from the start he'd have had them flying even sooner.
Money is not the be all and end all. We’ve seen that with WoodwardBall. It’s the recruiting set-up. These things take time to put into place.

Let’s not forget the recruitment set-up at Liverpool nixed Klopp’s desire to buy Julian Brandt in favour of their sourced Mo Salah.

TsuWave

Carragher becoming a better football pundit than United legends is not something I would have put my money on 15 years ago, but here we are

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
So, so I'm not into prophecies, or conspiracies, and I certainly don't wish to get all of your hopes up, but..........

Erik Ten Hag takes over for the 2022/23 season.
It's Ten seasons in from the last time we last won the PL in 2012/13.

Do with that information what you will.
It's also rumoured that he will get rid of Ten hacks from the playing staff.

Daonico

That's easy, you convert pounds to euros, then back to pounds, then to euros again. Do that about 10 times and you have £500m. It's basically an infinite money glitch.
I am trying that with my bank account, but I think I am doing something wrong...

bosskeano

any player that doesn't like or care about the appointment can piss off....their performances have more than proven most of them could give a flying fuk anyway

Loon

:lol:
I’m kinda glad we didn’t have people like Carragher playing press mind games back in Fergie’s day or we’d probably never have had what we had.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Everyone bangs on about his efforts in the Champions League. It is a cup competition. What matters is the league. And he has no experience in any major world league. De Boer's failure at Palace is just the first of Ajax managers who have gone higher only to fail. Another is Peter Bosz, who 'outdated' Mourinho and United turned over in the Europa League final. What we would give for the trophies Mourinho brought through that year. Bosz went on to fail at Dortmund and Leverkusen in the Bundesliga, one of the top four European leagues. And he is now struggling at Lyon. There were question marks over the Dutchman’s future, with the defeat to West Ham in the Europa League the latest setback in what French football watchers say is a disappointing campaign across the board, as they sit around 8th place.

But I very very much hope Ten Hag breaks the trend of Ajax managers who move to bigger clubs in far more competitive leagues. If Brendan Rodgers can do it... but then he nearly won Liverpool the title before his success in Celtic, so he is far less of a risk. Ten Hag is a massive risk. Again. No question. I really do hope it works out.
Ajax with Ten Hag in 4 full seasons: 1st place 4 times, 2 cup wins, twice past group stage in the CL.

Ajax hadn't won the league for 4 seasons before ETH. Ajax hadn't reached the knockout stage of the CL since 05/06. Ajax hadn't won the league and cup double since 2001/02. Ajax hadn't won the league and reached the knockout stage of the CL since LvG was there in the mid 90's. Ajax have only ever shown a similar level of dominance in the league with points, goals, performances, success with their greatest ever managers (Cruyff, Michels, etc). Ajax have averaged 3 league goals per game since he joined, or an average of over 100 goals per season for them, over a 4 year period. They passed 100 goals in the league in 09/10 with Suarez before he went to Liverpool, but the last time they regularly had a team up there was LvG's great teams and then the early 80's team.

Its really not a list comparable to other managers who achieved success and then failed elsewhere. ETH has shown dominance across ever competition, playing a great style of football, has them performing as much more than the sum of their parts, going toe to toe and outplaying pretty much any team they play even if they are a much wealthier side, and all this every year despite constantly losing his best players, so needing to adapt. They still play with the same ideas, just with adjustments to different set of players. They'll dominate Madrid and Juve, lose De Ligt and De Jong, and then go out and outplay Chelsea away the following year and only get unlucky with referee decisions. He's a fantastic coach, but of course there is always unknowns in how he will adapt to the prem. We'll see. But it's the best possible appointment.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This has to be bollocks. in what world would he have that opinion on Garnacho - he's never even played senior football and trained with the senior team - what? once/twice?
Hes been speaking to Ralf and Ajax do have scouts by the way

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Spot on by Carra. No reason you can't build an entire squad in two seasons if you want to.

Back Ten Hag and hope he is the one. It's all you can do.

Give him a 5 year project and it'll fail before it begins
Should be pretty obvious it shouldn't take five or six years.

Think we've averaged roughly three signings per summer over the last few years? Assuming that stays the same, after 5/6 years that would be 15-18 new players. Add in youth products and it would effectively be two brand new full elevens. The idea that it would take that much is deranged.

Even Rangnick, openly critical as he's been of our current situation, has said it shouldn't take near that long. His suggestion of three transfer windows (which I take as three summers) seems more reasonable.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He needs to bring in his own fitness coach and set up and I actually think that may be one of his more demanding concerns.
Our players severely lack in the physical department and aren't up to it executing this style of football so unless he changes the entire roster (unlikely) we need to considerably improve what we already have.

USREDEVIL

Carragher purposely putting pressure on already. Some of you lap up whatever he says because you want to believe it. It will take more than 2 years, just like it took his beloved Klopp and Liverpool more than 2 years, which he conveniently didn't mention.
Yep. Don’t trust him one bit.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hes been speaking to Ralf and Ajax do have scouts by the way
Oh yeah, I'm sure Ajax spend their scouting resources on going to our u18s games.

Ralf has only seen him for a few months and garnacho himself has only been in good form very recently. It's clearly clickbait.

stw2022

Carragher becoming a better football pundit than United legends is not something I would have put my money on 15 years ago, but here we are
Yeah but when he does commentary he sounds like someone’s standing on his bollocks

Robindinho

Watching Sky and the robot Kaveh slating the interview process and the fact ten Hag has not listened to van Gaal’s criticism that United is a business.

Other teams have interviewed managers for jobs before, so I don’t see the problem.

Perhaps ten Hag sees himself as the man to turn United priorities back into a football club?
He's a moron. Just kept banging on about how you wouldn't see Pep/Klopp need an interview and that it'd be disrespectful... Probably thought the interview were questions like 'tell us about yourself', 'what are your hobbies?'.

If we had multiple candidates in mind (ETH, Poch, Enrique etc), how else would we select a favourite without talking to them?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Oh yeah, I'm sure Ajax spend their scouting resources on going to our u18s games.

Ralf has only seen him for a few months and garnacho himself has only been in good form very recently. It's clearly clickbait.
They scout plenty of u18s they sign alot of young players its their model

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Love this appointment! Ready to support and back him.

Wish him all the best, and I do hope fans will ignore all naysayers and other outside influences and just offer our support. He's got a huge job on his hands, let's not let him start with any toxicity.

It's good to have someone more technically adept to get our team playing something resembling football :D

Jazz

Well, well, well. He certainly is my preferred choice, but I'm still only cautiously enthusiastic about this. I simply don't feel confident that our players won't sink another manager...
This is where the club hierarchy need to get off their arses and lay down the law to our players. They should back the manager very publicly irrespective of any disagreements with Erik - they can sort shit behind the scenes with him, but publicly, don't let any negative narrative get out of hand. Stop it right in its tracks. If a player consistently leaks, then he should face some sort of consequences.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Me too. He’s hardly saying something you’d need sources for or that is going to be proven right or wrong. “He thinks some players are experienced, and some are young.”
4 groups of 1 would sound about right.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Watching Sky and the robot Kaveh slating the interview process and the fact ten Hag has not listened to van Gaal’s criticism that United is a business.

Other teams have interviewed managers for jobs before, so I don’t see the problem.

Perhaps ten Hag sees himself as the man to turn United priorities back into a football club?
I've only watched this Sky Sports team a few but I definitely know who you're talking about.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He needs to bring in his own fitness coach and set up and I actually think that may be one of his more demanding concerns.
Our players severely lack in the physical department and aren't up to it executing this style of football so unless he changes the entire roster (unlikely) we need to considerably improve what we already have.
It is a huge issue/concern as is our infrastructure. We are so far behind

Chripper

Bald man aaaaaah
Fighter of the Klopp man aaaaaah
Champion of Holland aaaaah
You're a master of rebuilds
And titles for everyone
Looking at the photo *points up*

He could Mac's dad. Hope ETH doesn't eat people.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Spot on by Carra. No reason you can't build an entire squad in two seasons if you want to.

Back Ten Hag and hope he is the one. It's all you can do.

Give him a 5 year project and it'll fail before it begins
So our rivals wouldnt swap their very succesfull managers for spmeone who never managed in England. Wow, groundbreaking stuff. Like United wouldnt consider another manager when Fergie was here…

Jazz

Not from the pundits, former players and other numpties.

Make no mistake, they'll be waiting to pounce on him the first opportunity they get.
This will definitely happen. However, I am very much hoping our fans don't give them any engagement. We cannot go forward in a forever toxic environment imho.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There are users here on the site who welcome the fact that Maguire, his wife and children are being threatened with a bomb. It is absolutely incredible what is allowed on this site. It's so insane and sick.
And where do you see a connection to ten Hag?

phelans shorts

Everyone has known Ten Hag was coming since Ole went. The very week he was let go Ten Hag’s interview answers were heavily weighted towards him leaving at the end of the season, so I’ve no doubt that he’s well acquainted with our age groups teams because he’s had this job in his sights for 6 months or so already.

That isn’t to say he particularly has high hopes of Garnacho (who he possibly also scouted heavily when he was leaving Atleti) but I’d be amazed if he doesn’t have a strong idea of many already.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Some of your squad may look upon the remainder of the season as an audition to play their way into the squad for the season ahead but I'm sure the new Manager won't fall for that one.
Those who have downed tools in the past or don't have the guts for the challenge have to be dispensed with at the soonest sensible time.