Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 661 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 811 55.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
What this club needs is a culture shock. The players are in for their biggest shock of their lives.

They are used to having it their own way. With Jose player power won, with Ole, it was Ole protecting the players.

In comes Ten Hag, first time a manager is appointed where fans do not care about any player, which means manager > players.

So even like Rashford, Maguire, who recently have thrown their toys out and went onto social media, they are used to getting support, excuses for their displays. He needs a CB partner, he is playing on injury, Ole cant coach...

You have seen evidence of this in recent games where no player has tweeted anything after Liverpool, previously it was sorry we need to do better.

I am all in for ETH to give these players discipline.
I hadnt even noticed that, but in hindsight, it is interesting.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Tbh he's got a dozen or so other issues he won't take well to, almost all of which would take precedence over DDG's distribution.
True, just find it odd that DDGs name dropped because I'd have thought he would turn to Henderson.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't see ETH taking well to DDG's useless distribution.
I do think DDG's distribution is pony because he has zero options most of the time. There was a pass that Alisson did to Thiago and commentators were fawning over it. When the reality is, if a professional footballer sees a player in acres of space and passing to him with no pressure - he's going to do it, even De Gea would.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Obviously an odd translation issue, but what does he mean by "I will stay myself in that" when asked about Ronaldo?
I would assume for example if his striker needs to press then he needs to, he won’t make exceptions for special players, etc.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Obviously an odd translation issue, but what does he mean by "I will stay myself in that" when asked about Ronaldo?
Think it is like: will not change my way of thinking, working, training, because of the big egos. Either you do what I tell you or bye bye.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Basically, he will stay to be the way he is and stick with his principle regardless if it's Ronaldo or no.

Roario

Tbh he's got a dozen or so other issues he won't take well to, almost all of which would take precedence over DDG's distribution.
I think you are wrong. Using the goalkeeper in the build-up is very important for Ten Hag.
I would not be surprised if DDG was one of the first to go.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If you have no respect for that term.
He would get in any team in world football for me. Up until the last 6 months, all rival fans would have taken him in a heartbeat and said he was up there with De Bryne as the best attacking mid in the league. as usual, you are only as good as your last game though on this forum, yawn...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He would get in any team in world football for me. Up until the last 6 months, all rival fans would have taken him in a heartbeat and said he was up there with De Bryne as the best attacking mid in the league. as usual, you are only as good as your last game though on this forum, yawn...
It depends on what you mean by get in a team, if you are talking about starting for them, then he would get in none of the top teams.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying that he is bad but he is in the same situation than someone like Coutinho.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Rashford I'm not sure about. The issue with Rashford, outside of his disastrous slump this year, is his all-round game. Its not great. His passing is just as erratic as Bruno's, arguably worse.
His link-up play is practically non-existent and his overall 'football intelligence' is just average in possession. He rarely looks-up for a teammate too. Its all heads down and run.

He's not a wide player that will put in many crosses, either cutting in or going down the by-line.
If he's 30 yards from the opposition area, he only has eyes for goal. Whether that'll be pulling off a shot or running at it. It all he thinks about in those moments.

What Rashford is all about is his movement in initiating his runs against teams that push up without the ball and his individualism and ,what I mentioned above, directness in carrying the ball and pulling off efforts on goal.

Now I hope he regains his form but I dont think, for the majority of time, he'll be a consistent first teamer under Hag. Rashford is just too much of a individualist.
And, I mean this in the kindness way, he's not a team-player.

Fred, I don't think there's much area's for him to progress in. I think the Fred we're seeing now is the best Fred will ever be for us. But what I hope for is that Fred just maintains his consistency/form.

I think similarly with Shaw, though his form has been truly dreadful this year. Absolute slump from his campaign last year and his Euro performances.
I don't expect a great deal of change from him defensively or offensively. At his absolute best he's a solid all-rounder. He's got great control, decent array of passing, strength, speed and he seems mentally composed when he's at his best.

Regarding Fred and Shaw it's just about them maintaining their form or getting them back into it and the same applies to Rashford but the later has so much more to improve upon in his all-round game if he's going to be a consistent name on the team-sheet for me under Hag.
Completely agree about rashford, that’s probably why we’ll sign Antony or another wide player, not seen much of Antony to be honest but has he got better link up play? Better decision making in the final third? I think Fred will be crucial under a manager that likes to press, he struggled massively under ole has he was being asked to be a defensive mid in a 2 which is what he’s not good at. I think if shaw can stay fit then he can certainly get back to his best form which he has had spells of good and bad form with us. Be interesting to see if ten Hag goes for 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and if it’s 4-3-3 then how will he fit Bruno in?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Those quotes are...something, can see a lot of players reading that and realising their time is up.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Can ten Hag speak English? Just watched a few of his interviews and they was all in subtitles with him speaking Dutch.

Gorefest

'Trouw' interview translation excerpts:

Q: You still had a contract with Ajax. Why leave now?
A: This already was a bonus year. Last summer there was interest, but I wanted to be successful with ajax once more and hibernate in the CL. When I started at Ajax I had stated that they needed to become 'Europe proof'. We've managed that, though the work isn't completed.

Q: What are your most important values?
A: Trustworthiness and loyalty.

Q: Surely that will leave you vulnerable to disappointment in this world?
A: Sure, but that happens to everyone. Usually I can forgive. But I never forget.

Q: Your sense of loyalty does sometimes come at a cost (referring to the Overmars indecent images incident and Promes' cocaine dealing).
A: I will protect people from the outside world. Internally this may be different, if they have crossed a line. At the end of the day, this is professional sports. You have to be able to trust each other, otherwise you cannot achieve results. If my protective stance comes at a personal loss then so be it. I am the manager, the leader. I act in the interest of results and of the club. I am subordinate to that.

Q: You sound almost like a social worker.
A: Coaches -are- social workers. My job is to train, to coach, to analyse, but above all to guide people. That last part has become much more intensive over the past 20 years. Social media has changed everything. People's problems are becoming way more complex because society is becoming more complex. Football players are not exempt from this. If you want to get someone to reach their full potential, you have to have a genuine interest in them. Ajax is a melting pot, a mix of cultures and personalities, like the wider society. You need to invest in exploring that.

Q: That seems a big task, especially when big egos are involved.
A: That is indeed the major challenge for every coach these days. At the end of the day, those egos are created by society. And sometimes they are necessary to survive in such a society. But it is my job to ensure players can continue to collaborate. In that regard, I hold Louis van Gaal in high esteem. Just as Rinus Michels and Johan Cruijff. They advocate for the 'total human principle' and place the team before the individual.

Q: Wat is left of the boy from Haaksbergen?
A: Lots. I've been fortunate enough to see lots of places and develop as a person. But in the core I'm still the same driven lad who enjoys life. A lot of it revolves around football, but I have other interests as well. I follow politics and stem from an entrepeneurial family. It is in my blood. On holidays i love to read books on commerce, marketing, and psychology. Then I apply that in my job. An entrepeneur also needs to consider his philosophy, his strategy, the quality of his product and how to motivate people.

Q: The British tabloid press has been trying to dig into your personal background for weeks. They were in Haaksbergen as well. Isn't that frightening at times?
A: If you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to worry about. Best thing is not to read everything in the press anyway. I know criticism is part of my job. You need to deal with that. Sometimes it is justified, sometimes it isn't.

Q: What is the biggest thing you learned at Ajax?
A: The ability to manage the enormous range of inputs. You don't learn that at Go Ahead Eagles or FC Utrecht where everything is at a much smaller scale. At ajax you are constantly being bombarded with information and stimuli. You need to channel those. Time management is vital: how to prioritise. At the end of the day, the goal is to make the team function better. The rest is fringe business.

Q: Do you think you can handle big stars, the Ronaldo's of this world?
A: I think so. But there too I will remain true to myself. I will not change my vision on coaching. The available material always dictates how you play, but the demands that go with it and the standards that need to be met are mine to dictate. I decide who has to do what job and whomever doesn't stick to it will hear from me, regardless of the individual. i won't make any concessions on that point.

Q: At Ajax you had a big influence on transfers. Is that a demand at Man United as well?
A: Yes. Before agreeing to a job I make demands. If those demands aren't met, I won't take the job. At the end of the day I am the responsible party and I will be judged on the results. i do not want to be a dictator, I am a strong believer in collaboration. But lack of input in transfers for me is a deal breaker.

Q: What will be your legacy with Ajax?
A: I think Ajax under my guidance has played the way Ajax is meant to play. always with the intent to play good and pretty football, adventurous and beautiful. This has resulted in many goals. The club has increased it 'winner' mentality, a culture of wanting to win. Of being entitled to win. I think that is my main legacy. In the Netherlands there is too little focus on that. Everyone always talks about tactics, but mentality is equally as important. I believe Ajax (the club, the players) lacked mentality when I arrived. The will to win.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
'Trouw' interview translation excerpts:

Q: You still had a contract with Ajax. Why leave now?
A: This already was a bonus year. Last summer there was interest, but I wanted to be successful with ajax once more and hibernate in the CL. When I started at Ajax I had stated that they needed to become 'Europe proof'. We've managed that, though the work isn't completed.

Q: What are your most important values?
A: Trustworthiness and loyalty.

Q: Surely that will leave you vulnerable to disappointment in this world?
A: Sure, but that happens to everyone. Usually I can forgive. But I never forget.

Q: Your sense of loyalty does sometimes come at a cost (referring to the Overmars indecent images incident and Promes' cocaine dealing).
A: I will protect people from the outside world. Internally this may be different, if they have crossed a line. At the end of the day, this is professional sports. You have to be able to trust each other, otherwise you cannot achieve results. If my protective stance comes at a personal loss then so be it. I am the manager, the leader. I act in the interest of results and of the club. I am subordinate to that.

Q: You sound almost like a social worker.
A: Coaches -are- social workers. My job is to train, to coach, to analyse, but above all to guide people. That last part has become much more intensive over the past 20 years. Social media has changed everything. People's problems are becoming way more complex because society is becoming more complex. Football players are not exempt from this. If you want to get someone to reach their full potential, you have to have a genuine interest in them. Ajax is a melting pot, a mix of cultures and personalities, like the wider society. You need to invest in exploring that.

Q: That seems a big task, especially when big egos are involved.
A: That is indeed the major challenge for every coach these days. At the end of the day, those egos are created by society. And sometimes they are necessary to survive in such a society. But it is my job to ensure players can continue to collaborate. In that regard, I hold Louis van Gaal in high esteem. Just as Rinus Michels and Johan Cruijff. They advocate for the 'total human principle' and place the team before the individual.

Q: Wat is left of the boy from Haaksbergen?
A: Lots. I've been fortunate enough to see lots of places and develop as a person. But in the core I'm still the same driven lad who enjoys life. A lot of it revolves around football, but I have other interests as well. I follow politics and stem from an entrepeneurial family. It is in my blood. On holidays i love to read books on commerce, marketing, and psychology. Then I apply that in my job. An entrepeneur also needs to consider his philosophy, his strategy, the quality of his product and how to motivate people.

Q: The British tabloid press has been trying to dig into your personal background for weeks. They were in Haaksbergen as well. Isn't that frightening at times?
A: If you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to worry about. Best thing is not to read everything in the press anyway. I know criticism is part of my job. You need to deal with that. Sometimes it is justified, sometimes it isn't.

Q: What is the biggest thing you learned at Ajax?
A: The ability to manage the enormous range of inputs. You don't learn that at Go Ahead Eagles or FC Utrecht where everything is at a much smaller scale. At ajax you are constantly being bombarded with information and stimuli. You need to channel those. Time management is vital: how to prioritise. At the end of the day, the goal is to make the team function better. The rest is fringe business.

Q: Do you think you can handle big stars, the Ronaldo's of this world?
A: I think so. But there too I will remain true to myself. I will not change my vision on coaching. The available material always dictates how you play, but the demands that go with it and the standards that need to be met are mine to dictate. I decide who has to do what job and whomever doesn't stick to it will hear from me, regardless of the individual. i won't make any concessions on that point.

Q: At Ajax you had a big influence on transfers. Is that a demand at Man United as well?
A: Yes. Before agreeing to a job I make demands. If those demands aren't met, I won't take the job. At the end of the day I am the responsible party and I will be judged on the results. i do not want to be a dictator, I am a strong believer in collaboration. But lack of input in transfers for me is a deal breaker.

Q: What will be your legacy with Ajax?
A: I think Ajax under my guidance has played the way Ajax is meant to play. always with the intent to play good and pretty football, adventurous and beautiful. This has resulted in many goals. The club has increased it 'winner' mentality, a culture of wanting to win. Of being entitled to win. I think that is my main legacy. In the Netherlands there is too little focus on that. Everyone always talks about tactics, but mentality is equally as important. I believe Ajax (the club, the players) lacked mentality when I arrived. The will to win.
Sounds very much that Scottish guy we had for 27 years... :drool: :devil:

Dan-Utd

I don't know how reliable the BBC are but their gossip column says Manchester United rejected Ten Hag's request to appoint Steve McClaren in a role at the club.

If that is true then well done to whoever made that decision, it seems we may have realised that being sentimental and appointing people simply because they are an ex employee does not bring success, a perfect example is Pat Phelan, he looked like he was having a nap on the bench on many an occasion.

I'm actually excited about this appointment, someone who hasn't managed in England before, who is used to dealing with the pressure of challenging for the top spot year in year out and recently rather than 10 years ago, someone who seems to like his teams to play football rather than be negative against mid table teams.

The only thing that brings me down to earth with a bump is thinking about how the hell he is going to get rid of the rubbish out of the squad, I read that he has a shortlist of a defender, 2 midfielders and a striker - which was followed up with he has to sell x players to do it and 2 of those players were Anthony Martial and Phil Jones... they will both be on big wages but with Martial there is a talented player in there who would be ideal for a club like Newcastle, but Phil Jones - no club is going to pay a fee for him and even on a free are they going to pay big wages for a player who seems to be injury prone, he's pretty much been in a retirement home for years, so the only current Premier League manager who I think would give Phil Jones a chance on big wages is Frank Lampard at Everton.

Either way, having players around the squad who has been out in the cold for so long will hamper us, so hopefully we can get as many out as possible even if it means losing money.

DavelinaJolie

I don't know how reliable the BBC are but their gossip column says Manchester United rejected Ten Hag's request to appoint Steve McClaren in a role at the club.

If that is true then well done to whoever made that decision, it seems we may have realised that being sentimental and appointing people simply because they are an ex employee does not bring success, a perfect example is Pat Phelan, he looked like he was having a nap on the bench on many an occasion.
I'm confused, Ten Hag requested him, not the club. I'm not sure Ten Hag is the kind of guy to request staff for sentimental reasons. I also thought the jobs for the boys critique that did the rounds was levelled at the club, and the manager should get some freedom to make those decisions.