Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ish

Lights on for Luke
What’s up with all this clean slate FC comments? Like anyone expected a budget allowing for anything more than 3-4 players (maybe a couple of free signings on top of it), but no wholesale changes in 1 window.

We’ve already lost Lingard, Pogba, Matic, Mata - to name a few. Pereira, Williams, AWB & Martial all seem for sale. Henderson to be loaned out. We’re struggling to sell some players due to their high wages I’d guess.

So what are people expecting EtH to piss off the entire squad remaining? It’s clear as day some players will get chances, if for nothing else, then because we can’t change our entire squad in 1 window.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's happened for too long that slow tempo passing, plus we passed it without any responsibility taken on the ball, that's why ten Hag was my first choice, he won't stand for it.
Yeah absolutely agree there. Slow zombie passing, no movement, no urgency or tempo in our play….onwards and upwards

pascell

Yeah absolutely agree there. Slow zombie passing, no movement, no urgency or tempo in our play….onwards and upwards
Absolutely, can't wait for the season to start now.

The good thing about the internationals only coming back later is that he'll get a good look at some of our youngsters.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Is anybody slowly getting that warm fuzzy feeling inside yet? I know I am. :drool:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Absolutely, can't wait for the season to start now.

The good thing about the internationals only coming back later is that he'll get a good look at some of our youngsters.
Yeah I’m trying to contain some excitement in fairness :lol: because I know implementing his style will take some time - moreso with players not familiar with it.

pascell

I don't buy this, players like Telles, Tuanzebe, AWB, Bailly, Jones will likely leave as reported.
Yeah I’m trying to contain some excitement in fairness :lol: because I know implementing his style will take some time - moreso with players not familiar with it.
:lol: it gets us all during pre season. I'm sure if we end up with a summer of Malacia, Martinez, de Jong, Eriksen and Antony, we'll shape a lot better as they'll all be familiar with how he wants to play and it'll help him implement his style quicker. And who knows, possibly another signing if we get lucky and sell some crap.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don't buy this, players like Telles, Tuanzebe, AWB, Bailly, Jones will likely leave as reported.
I think it's implied that the players that remain will get a chance, excluding the ones that have been told to feck off. That's what I take from it anyway.

pascell

I think it's implied that the players that remain will get a chance, excluding the ones that have been told to feck off. That's what I take from it anyway.
Yeah I hope that's what it means, I think he knows he can't sell all the players he'd prefer to this summer because of budget restraints.

Partridge

Makes me wonder if ten hag can get anything out of Martial. I hope he can. There's alot of ability in martial, and now that he's got rid of his mrs, maybe he can focus on being the footballer we all know he can be. Unlikely of course, but there's always hope..

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Makes me wonder if ten hag can get anything out of Martial. I hope he can. There's alot of ability in martial, and now that he's got rid of his mrs, maybe he can focus on being the footballer we all know he can be. Unlikely of course, but there's always hope..
Yeah its always a womans fault........

Graveyard

This is not whats going on. He says "the first two passes are strong, the last pass is soft". That is the exercise that they are doing.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's happened for too long that slow tempo passing, plus we passed it without any responsibility taken on the ball, that's why ten Hag was my first choice, he won't stand for it.
I hope he absolutely lamps Lindelof and Maguire if they start that bloody slow passing between them, putting the keeper and the right back in trouble with slack passes. It drives me crazy

TheReligion

Abusive
Clean Slate FC is back then!

It doesn't seem to matter who the manager is.

Players who play fecking awfully week in and week out, season after season, always get new chances!

And we wonder, why we aren't a serious club anymore.
This is why you couldn’t manage a piss up in a brewery whilst Ten Hag is the manager of United.

Dempsey19

I don't think ETH will persist with players who perform terribly 2 or 3 games in a row though. That will be the difference between him and our previous managers.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Cheer up people. You've got good times ahead of you.

Edit: one drink later I realize I should have written
"Cheer up you miserable twats"

Last edited:

glasgow 21

no that won't happen in the long run. To me Martial has always shown petulance , and a touch of superiority, like i'm to good to do all this tracking back nonsense. If we don't move him then i hope your right and Ten hag can get a tune out of him to at least increase Martial value in the market.

Annouchez

I finally was able to watch the All or Nothing City documentary today. Well… two episodes. I know what you’re gonna say, as a football fan should of watched that as it’s not about rivalry, it’s an unreal insight bla bla bla whatever. I get it.

But it was painful.

The thought of seeing how well City have done and how much better they are than us with a giant magnifying glass didn’t appeal to me. At all.

Here I am two episodes in and it’s done the reverse effect to what I anticipated. I’m even more hopeful for us this season. Watching Pep and how madly into winning with style he is, I’m here salivating at the prospect of potentially having our own version.

A controlling mad bald genius who is obsessed with playing the beautiful game.

Ten Hag seems to be a man fully aware of what he is walking into. He has his reputation on the line. If he fails, he will have to take a step back and build himself up again. The risk is very high. I feel bringing Frenkie, Antony and Timber/Martinez adds even more pressure to that. What I’m trying to say… this is a big gamble.

You don’t throw yourself into a frying pan this hot if you didn’t have the balls to carry out the job to the best of your god damn ability. That is confidence. He didn’t have to come here. I know it isn’t charity, as he is getting paid a fortune, has financial backing and has had a significant rise in his stock/profile. But he could of stayed at Ajax and used his reputation to take the next big job that becomes available. Lucky for us he didn’t. He is here because he knows he can turn this around.

We are a catch if you make us a great team again, as our global status is still strong.

I’m now going to inject some positivity into your veins without your permission. Sorry not sorry.

3…2…1…

He’s gonna win us the Prem in his first season.

Someone had to say it incase it came in. Don’t quote me.

Reactions: Sultan

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
You guys are obsessed with using Ole to blame for all your collective miseries. It was a short video but somehow you, a non-footballing professional can extrapolate so much from it. Leave it to the professionals to give us insights and preferably those with inside knowledge of the going-ons at United.

How can people with so little footballing knowledge and zero club insider information can consistently make such big bold statements and assessments? It is like passengers making technical assessments of how pilots fly just because you have flown a lot as a passenger. It's delusional behaviour.

Also, people are constantly looking for saviours to worship. Then if they fail, then the constant hatred of the failure of the former saviour. There is a lot of personal projection here. It's only football but the animosity is over the top, especially towards one of our own.

Sometimes things work out and other times they don't -- even the smartest guys fail badly at things simply because they could be at the right place but at the wrong time. Or the guy could be lucky at the right time.

And by the way -- Football fans nowadays seem to have a one-way relationship between the club and the players. Just take the joy from the team when winning -- in return for what?

What do you offer back in return to the club and platers/staff? Slagging them off at the drop of a pin.

In the past, it was a two-way relationship -- they offer joy and good memories -- and in return, they expect some sort of adulation, respect and loyalty or at least compassion when they lose. Even for the poorest of PL players, only 0.01% ever make it up there and so the hard work and sacrifices they made along the way will never be appreciated by the masses.

Instead, it's only a one-way direction for today's fans. What's your contribution to the success of the players, managers and club? The reality is that it's just ... take and offer nothing in return.

Any one-way relationship is never a good thing.

Last edited:

Red_toad

I‘m stumped as to how the midfield is going to work? Van Beek, FDJ, Bruno and Fred or Mctommy isn’t exactly inspiring.

BaguetteBoy

You guys are obsessed with using Ole to blame for all your collective miseries. It was a short video but somehow you, a non-footballing professional can extrapolate so much from it. Leave it to the professionals to give us insights and preferably those with inside knowledge of the going-ons at United.

How can people with so little footballing knowledge and zero club insider information can consistently make such big bold statements and assessments? It is like passengers making technical assessments of how pilots fly just because you have flown a lot as a passenger. It's delusional behaviour.

Also, people are constantly looking for saviours to worship. Then if they fail, then the constant hatred of the failure of the former saviour. There is a lot of personal projection here. It's only football but the animosity is over the top, especially towards one of our own.

Sometimes things work out and other times they don't -- even the smartest guys fail badly at things simply because they could be at the right place but at the wrong time. Or the guy could be lucky at the right time.

And by the way -- Football fans nowadays seem to have a one-way relationship between the club and the players. Just take the joy from the team when winning -- in return for what?

What do you offer back in return to the club and platers/staff? Slagging them off at the drop of a pin.

In the past, it was a two-way relationship -- they offer joy and good memories -- and in return, they expect some sort of adulation, respect and loyalty or at least compassion when they lose. Even for the poorest of PL players, only 0.01% ever make it up there and so the hard work and sacrifices they made along the way will never be appreciated by the masses.

Instead, it's only a one-way direction for today's fans. What's your contribution to the success of the players, managers and club? The reality is that it's just ... take and offer nothing in return.

Ole wanting to please everyone made lots of players comfortable and lazy. He didn’t have any authority. Even allowing players to start training later and eat separately. It’s the little details like these that will bring a togetherness and make players work harder for the club. Let’s not kid ourselves so many of these players in the squad we all know can perform better that we seen last season

sglowrider

Ole wanting to please everyone made lots of players comfortable and lazy. He didn’t have any authority. Even allowing players to start training later and eat separately. It’s the little details like these that will bring a togetherness and make players work harder for the club. Let’s not kid ourselves so many of these players in the squad we all know can perform better that we seen last season
Well, the players were very together in the past, with so many away unbeaten/wins and coming from behind wins the previous two seasons. It showed that they were willing to fight for each other --- despite training an hour later than ETH's schedule or eating separately.

Something changed last season.

Also how do you know Ole ''didn't have any authority''? Thats a point I made -- how do we know that unless you are one of the players or in the club? Also other managers we have had like Jose or LVG are legendary/iconic coaches, and yet the team played badly.

marcus agrippa

Thou doth protest too much methinks.

OpenIntrovert

Great post! The key question these "fans" have to ask themselves is, are you supporting the club in every match they play, regardless of performance or are you only supporting when the club's performances are excellent?

OpenIntrovert

Is anybody slowly getting that warm fuzzy feeling inside yet? I know I am. :drool:
Me too. ETH is doing a proper assessment of the players and wants to raise their mentality back. His attitude will have a ripple effect on the team

bringbackbebe

Commercial contributions. We are the loyal customers who keep purchasing & cheering what United sells in spite of poor value over the last few years. Expecting a good product, rather a product that is not defective, in return is not asking too much.

Sir Erik ten Hag

It genuinly feels like we finally have a proper coach. Its truly exciting.
To be fair, people were saying the same thing in Van Gaal's first summer with us. We were playing Tiqui-Taca football in that pre-season tour with Rooney, Ashley Young, Kagawa, Valencia...etc.

sglowrider

Great post! The key question these "fans" have to ask themselves is, are you supporting the club in every match they play, regardless of performance or are you only supporting when the club's performances are excellent?
There is always a fine line between being deluded (like the RAWks of the past) and being positive. Here people keep
Commercial contributions. We are the loyal customers who keep purchasing & cheering what United sells in spite of poor value over the last few years. Expecting a good product, rather a product that is not defective, in return is not asking too much.
Sounds like you are more of a customer than a fan. On the other hand, Apple (product) customers and more fans/supporters than they are customers.

My question is why are United matchday or away fans generally a lot more supportive/loyal of the players and the managers than the fans say for example at the Caf?
Seems like the more committed they are to the cause the more loyal and supportive they are.

OpenIntrovert

Those who are grumbling about giving the players a "clean slate" need to go through a management 101 course.

Its not just football, even in a corporate organization a good manager never throws the existing resources out of the window immediately. You are always supposed to assess the resources, see how they can improved and only when improvement is no longer possible, you ask for further resources. ETH is also doing the same thing.

Expecting ETH to throw all players out simply because the media and you guys have superficially decided that they are bad, is a extremely premature and baseless thought.

bringbackbebe

Sounds like you are more of a customer than a fan. On the other hand, Apple (product) customers and more fans/supporters than they are customers.

My question is why are United matchday or away fans generally a lot more supportive/loyal of the players and the managers than the fans say for example at the Caf?
Seems like the more committed they are to the cause the more loyal and supportive they are.
Fans "are" customers to the club. Being a fan doesn't imply being a zombie and eating everything the club throws. It's about challenging bad decisions and ensuring the club doesn't go astray (like with super league for eg). Fans will support managers if they show they are helping the club move in the right direction.

Apple customers are driven by mass paranoia because they feel they are buying the best product & are part of the elite cult. Something else comes out tomorrow, they'll vanish in an instant without trace. We've seen that with Blackberry, HTC and Nokia in the past? United fans, at least many who are sour here at the CAF, are still sticking by after a decade of being crap - spending their hard earned money on tickets and merchandise that helps the club. That should show for something.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
To be fair, people were saying the same thing in Van Gaal's first summer with us. We were playing Tiqui-Taca football in that pre-season tour with Rooney, Ashley Young, Kagawa, Valencia...etc.

We actually played well in LVG’s first few games in the PL. I remember solid attacking football. Then that game happened and for some reason LVG decided to scrap everything and go to some shitty defensive possession nonsense

ti vu

Those who are grumbling about giving the players a "clean slate" need to go through a management 101 course.

Its not just football, even in a corporate organization a good manager never throws the existing resources out of the window immediately. You are always supposed to assess the resources, see how they can improved and only when improvement is no longer possible, you ask for further resources. ETH is also doing the same thing.

Expecting ETH to throw all players out simply because the media and you guys have superficially decided that they are bad, is a extremely premature and baseless thought.
It's impossible to turnover the whole squad in couple window, so new manager has to work with existing players. That's it.

There is nothing called a clean slate in any type of management. You inherit a system for good or for bad. There should be a type of logging, recording of performance for you to assess. You may to do reality check of previous report in your own way, but the concept of clean slate is fantasy. You are not here to start up a new business.