Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 588 54.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 486 45.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

OmarUnited4ever

I know we aren't supposed to get ahead of ourselves because of today's result, but after today, I am confident that he will bring us back to the top and make us relevant again, and I am sure if he is backed next summer, we will have much stronger team (New ST, new CM alongside Cas)

Kostov

Why in the name of feck are we not reinforcing this January? We are in the mix on four fronts, reinforce the team and help the manager.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Why in the name of feck are we not reinforcing this January? We are in the mix on four fronts, reinforce the team and help the manager.
It’s very frustrating but we just have to get on with it.

DevilRed

Thank feck you came. We are lucky to have you.

The hope is now we get you better owners to replace the leech scum that currently preside.

The new owners will hopefully back you to the fullest this summer and help complete our rebuild.

DevilRed

Because we have cnut owners who are poor in comparison to the rest of the elite clubs.

Once we get rid and hopefully find better/wealthier ones who are worthy, then ETH can finally rebuild our squad properly.

Tony247

Beauty of this win is that we know it is a manifestation of the progress been made so far and not some isolated game when individually players raised their game to take us home.

Telsim

Give him a midfielder that can progress the ball and a quality striker and let him cook.

Bobski

Structure, developing and rehabilitating inherited players while his own transfers have made a huge impact.

Couldn't really have gone better for him.

Oh, and managed to accelerate the dumping of Ronaldo while doing this.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Love how he doesn’t panick and he’s so calm on the touch line! class manager. Best thing that’s happened to us since fergie left. Also Ronaldo having that piers Morgan interview is another good thing that happened this season. So much better as a team without him! Love this man! He’s here to bring trophies.

Robertd0803

Wonderful wonderful man.

Hard not to get carried away today but he is doing a fantastic job.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think some of the biggest plus points here are following a great run with a very good performance against the toughest team out there, and then even when conceding in the 2nd half, managing to turn it around.

It's happened a few times in the past years to have good big games, but usually after a good run we would fall back down to earth in them and the good results would be a response to poor form like Liverpool earlier in the season. This was different IMO.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What most of you probably don’t know is that ETH schedules the season in blocks. Block 1,2,3 and 4.

At ajax, Eriks block 3 was always by far the best block. We could see sloppy games and losing points to nobodies in Block 2, in Block 3 you had a razorsharp team that would win 4-0 from PSV while it could have been 8-0. Im pretty sure we didnt lose a game in block 3 in all 3 seasons.

Erik is king Block 3, and thats where he puts the team into the position to win prizes. After that, its just quality and mentality of the players that should bring it home. I expect the same at United.
Block 3 Ten Hag vs The Undertaker at Wrestlemania, who wins?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Both, actually.
Why both? The Glazers aren't the ones paying for transfers and they never had, any purchase is a club asset and there is next to no chance that someone interested in purchasing the club would decide not to because the club acquired a player this winter.

Devil_3565

One thing I love about him is how he managed to destroy the credibility of these ex-united pundits who behaved as if they knew what is best for United.

Sviken

Why both? The Glazers aren't the ones paying for transfers and they never had, any purchase is a club asset and there is next to no chance that someone interested in purchasing the club would decide not to because the club acquired a player this winter.
Because the Glazers wouldn't be paying for transfers out of their own pockets, they'll add it to the club's debt. And since they are selling the club and want 7 billion which is already a massive sum, they don't want any unnecessary big signings that will piss off investors. I don't know what talks are going behind closed doors, but I doubt the new owners would want any unnecessary moves to be done before they are in charge.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because the Glazers wouldn't be paying for transfers out of their own pockets, they'll add it to the club's debt. And since they are selling the club and want 7 billion which is already a massive sum, they don't want any unnecessary big signings that will piss off investors. I don't know what talks are going behind closed doors, but I doubt the new owners would want any unnecessary moves to be done before they are in charge.
Transfers are largelly paid in installments(you almost always add debt, that's actually a big part of our current debt) and the purchase of an asset for dozens of millions has no impact on a 7 biilions purchase. It's like suggesting that because you want to sell a house, you are not going to change a leaky bathtub. And it's a non starter for two reasons, first ebcause a better bathroom increases the chance of putting your house in a good light and secondly you increased the value of your house.

But without any analogy, I know that this ridiculous idea comes from the press and it's a ridiculous idea. It makes no logical, pratiical, accounting or financial sense. Because unless the club is almost sold meaning that the current owners are in exclusive talks with someone then they have to manage the club normally, secondly the owners aren't the ones spending the money, thirdly the value of the club would be unchanged and fourhtly there is no scenario where a 50m debt is an obstacle for someone willing to spend 7 billions on something, it represents less than 1% of the expenditure.

If we were talking about renovating the stadium for 400m-500m then the point could make some sense but not for the purchase of a player.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is great. Humble, focused, knowledgable and clearly the real deal.

Laurencio

Ralf Ragnick said it would take multiple transfer windows and seasons to get us back towards the top. Ten Hag came in and said "hold my beer". Love to see it. Probably the best manager we've had since Fergie, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Yakuza_devils

I know that he is a very good manager from his achievement in Ajax. Consistently leading Ajax into later stages at CL.

But I never thought he is this GOOD! He inherited so much problems at this circus of a club and totally transformed it. He is a miracle worker.

Yakuza_devils

Ralf Rangnick said it would take multiple transfer windows and seasons to get us back towards the top. Ten Hag came in and said "hold my beer". Love to see it. Probably the best manager we've had since Fergie, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.
He also didn't asked for 3 years to implement his philosophy!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I know that he is a very good manager from his achievement in Ajax. Consistently leading Ajax into later stages at CL.

But I never thought he is this GOOD! He inherited so much problems at this circus of a club and totally transformed it. He is a miracle worker.
Kept repeating it before he came in, Ten Hag did ridiculous things with Ajax and had them accomplishing things not seen with them other then their greatest teams. The dominance in the league, the amount of goals, the cup results, how they did in the CL, every year maintaining the high level despite top players getting poached... He's an elite manager.

Sviken

Transfers are largelly paid in installments(you almost always add debt, that's actually a big part of our current debt) and the purchase of an asset for dozens of millions has no impact on a 7 biilions purchase. It's like suggesting that because you want to sell a house, you are not going to change a leaky bathtub. And it's a non starter for two reasons, first ebcause a better bathroom increases the chance of putting your house in a good light and secondly you increased the value of your house.
How transfers are paid depends entirely on the agreement between the clubs. If you want to buy a great player, you pay most of the money upfront. Second, it's obviously not a money issue since the Glazers can take a loan to pay for a player Ten Hag wants, if they wanted it. They don't. Third, your house analogy doesn't make sense because we're not talking about a leaky bathtub here, but renovating an entire bathroom without any agreement with the new owner who might not want to renovate that bathroom just yet or at all.

But without any analogy, I know that this ridiculous idea comes from the press and it's a ridiculous idea. It makes no logical, pratiical, accounting or financial sense. Because unless the club is almost sold meaning that the current owners are in exclusive talks with someone then they have to manage the club normally, secondly the owners aren't the ones spending the money, thirdly the value of the club would be unchanged and fourhtly there is no scenario where a 50m debt is an obstacle for someone willing to spend 7 billions on something, it represents less than 1% of the expenditure.
You're thinking about this very narrowly. Just because someone has 7 billion to spend doesn't mean he'd like to throw his money around just because. That's not how these people think. When you get that rich even a million unaccounted for is a problem. Let's pretend the new owner has the 50 million to throw around, why would he want to throw it before acquiring the club? There's also the fact that we don't know how talks behind the scenes have progressed so far and the Glazers surely wouldn't want to rock the boat on that.

If we were talking about renovating the stadium for 400m-500m then the point could make some sense but not for the purchase of a player.
How often have you seen a club making big purchases for players that is about to be sold?

CM

Ralf Rangnick said it would take multiple transfer windows and seasons to get us back towards the top. Ten Hag came in and said "hold my beer". Love to see it. Probably the best manager we've had since Fergie, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.
Honestly I don't think the level of improvement seen from United this season is typical though. That only comes when you've got a great coach - he really feels like the perfect fit for United.

The point remains that we need more players. We're still thin on options in a couple of positions and Ten Hag has been the first to say it.