Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 460 49.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 470 50.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

eire-red

What I love about this guy is that he never talks about how many games we've played, how little rest we've had, and there's very little whinging about anything at all.

His focus is always on the next game, always winning. He never talks about needing to improve certain players on the pitch, he focus on what the players he has at his disposal can do, how we can improve as a team, the principles he expects.

I wouldn't have cared if we went out of both the Europa League and the Carabao Cup before Christmas, but now I think following up knocking out Barcelona with a win vs Newcastle, with key players coming back from suspension and injuries for the final run in, it could set us up for huge momentum for the latter stages of the season.

It's been a complete mentality and attitude shift from the squad, and you can feel it as a fan. You don't get an atmosphere last night without the fans 100% behind what EtH and the players are doing.

Robbie Boy

A big thing is personalities.

Last season it would have been Lindelof and Maguire at the back, Mctomminay for Casemiro. Plus a moody Ronaldo up top. That whole spine has changed into winners.

(Not that Ronaldo isn't a winner, just he wasn't the right person to carry a team of wet blankets).
Spot on.

Our whole mentality and the mood around the place is worlds apart.

Lee565

Imagine if the greedy glazers actually backed him this January for a good striker

Kant-ona

For me, ETH is the first coach at United since Sir Alex who has managed to make the players better. In the past, we brought in expensive players and almost none of them ever reached their maximum over a longer period of time. It's different under ETH: Rashford is flourishing. Casemiro comes in and works from the first second. Sabitzer plays better (in the few games so far) than he ever did in Munich. Etc. He is a "player-better-maker".

Rusholme Ruffian

A big thing is personalities.

Last season it would have been Lindelof and Maguire at the back, Mctomminay for Casemiro. Plus a moody Ronaldo up top. That whole spine has changed into winners.

(Not that Ronaldo isn't a winner, just he wasn't the right person to carry a team of wet blankets).
Absolutely! He has signed absolute warriors - and their commitment rubs off on the other players. We were a team that was sadly lacking in character. Ole seemed to think that just by talking about passion and commitment was enough, but these things are not things that can just be produced like that. It has to be a mix of coaching, inspiration and in-built character. The characters ETH has brought into the team remind me of Fergie's first great team - Robbo, Brucey, Ince, Keano, Hughes, Eric, Irwin etc. Character is just as important as ability - especially for a club like United that has been built on a foundation of triumph through adversity, and we'd lost sight of that for a fecking long time. My only hope is that ETH can stay true to his principles when it comes to bringing in players, and that the new owners (whoever they may be) give him full control over transfers. For instance, Mbappe, on paper is exactly what we need, and with Qatari owners that signing would become a distinct possibility. New owners will be desperate to land a massive name to show the millions of fans around the world that they mean business. I'm not saying that ETH wouldn't want to sign Mbappe, but IF he didn't feel that he fits the profile of the type of player he wants at the club then I hope that the owners (and fans) will trust in ETH.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think we'd have been in a dogfight for fourth with the odd decent performance. There's no way Poch could've completely changed the character of the team the way ETH has, it's been a total revolution.

I was of the opinion that we should've gone for Conte at the time we got Ralph in. Thank the lord we didn't.
I’m so glad we waited for the one we wanted rather than rushing in

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’d argue both Leeds games too.
I think the Leeds and Leicester ones were to do with such a chaotic midfield pairing giving us less control, against Palace (until the red card) we were in complete control from minute 1-70.

AltiUn

Currently sitting on a cool 71.8% win rate, expect it to go down eventually but what a man. Solskjaer was at about 41% last season before his sacking, Rangnick had us at 37.5% by the time he left. The difference is astounding.

Revaulx

I’m not sure I agree with those who say he got the starting lineup “totally wrong” last night.

Sure we shat the bed following the penalty, but we started out absolutely fine; including Weghorst. There’s clearly still a lingering mentality / confidence problem, though it was fixed at half time. How much of that was due to the personnel changes, and how much to ETH’s half time talk, is open to question. My money is on the latter.

Rusholme Ruffian

I’m not sure I agree with those who say he got the starting lineup “totally wrong” last night.

Sure we shat the bed following the penalty, but we started out absolutely fine; including Weghorst. There’s clearly still a lingering mentality / confidence problem, though it was fixed at half time. How much of that was due to the personnel changes, and how much to ETH’s half time talk, is open to question. My money is on the latter.
Yeah, I agree. If Bruno slotted in that great chance in the first few mins it might have been a completely different story.

romufc

Henderson too the utter gobshite.
"If I stay the manager will want to keep me"

Soon he will be second choice for Forest :lol: :lol:

I think Ten Hag will get rid of him in the summer, he spoke to him before getting Butland and he rejected to come back and be 2nd choice.

AltiUn

"If I stay the manager will want to keep me"

Soon he will be second choice for Forest :lol: :lol:

I think Ten Hag will get rid of him in the summer, he spoke to him before getting Butland and he rejected to come back and be 2nd choice.
He's the sort of geezer who blows kisses to himself in the mirror.

maxtrash

Imagine if the greedy glazers actually backed him this January for a good striker
I actually feel sad knowing the Glazers are now pocketing an extra 2 billion because of Ten Hag's revitalisation of the club :-(

Flexdegea

It’s not overrated, every manager in the ilk of ETH prioritises a keeper like that, it’s a necessity, just look at even the collective improvement of arsenal once they replaced Leno with ramsdale

Arsenal where terrible, we literally right up there with the best across all comps, with a Leno like keeper in your words. Poor comparison.

No offence but ramsdale couldn't lace degea boots at his best. And Hes close to his best at the moment.

The_Order

Pep is probably looking over and realising he will never get the same level of praise adulation winning anything with City.

And that's glorious.